Geoff Johns steps down as CCO, starts new production company

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geoff Johns steps down as CCO, starts new production company

And is not only writing the script for "Green Lantern Corps," but producing it as well.

https://batman-news.com/2018/06/11/g...lantern-corps/

I predict that the GLC movie will bomb, and that will be the end of Johns. Given the terrible reputation that Green Lantern has got among movie-goers based on the other movie he produced about it, I'm amazed this is going forward.

Comment

Posted in the DC Entertainment thread but the website for Johns' new production company confirms that the GLC movie will feature Hal and John.

Comment

Someone posted at CBR that this is one step closer to Johns being gone. I agree with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
          Someone posted at CBR that this is one step closer to Johns being gone. I agree with that.
          That's kind of what I get out of this. He was already going to have a hand in writing GLC at WB... he was already going to co-produce it at WB. This "he's forming his own studio!" thing seems meaningless.

I mean, I have a studio, "Devilbane Productions." It's one guy. It's me.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
            That's kind of what I get out of this. He was already going to have a hand in writing GLC at WB... he was already going to co-produce it at WB. This "he's forming his own studio!" thing seems meaningless.

As they say in sports, "upon further review," I bet they have no intention of making that movie. I bet that as a courtesy to Johns, they're making this look more positive than it really is. The movie will probably just slip into permanent "development."
            Trey Strain
            Guardian of the Universe
            Last edited by Trey Strain; 06-11-2018, 06:17 PM.

Comment

As they say in sports, "upon further review," I bet they have no intention of making that movie. I bet that a a courtesy to Johns, they're making this look more positive than it really is.
              Kind of like how the press releases are all about Diane Nelson leaving to "focus on family" and Snyder had to go be with his, too.

Comment

Here's something else. The Aquaman movie has been shot, and Johns produced it. If it looked great to DC, they wouldn't have shuffled him out of their movie management and put him in charge of a unicorn like The Green Lantern Corps. They might be worried about it.

Comment

When a producer in television gets fired, a news release is sometimes put out that he has resigned to take on other projects for the network. Usually nothing comes of those projects. It's a way for the man to save face and not have his career damaged if he seeks work elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post

When a producer in television gets fired, a news release is sometimes put out that he has resigned to take on other projects for the network. Usually nothing comes of those projects. It's a way for the man to save face and not have his career damaged if he seeks work elsewhere.
                    Except Deadline and The Wrap say it's a first look deal, which is pretty exclusive company...as of October 2017 there were only 139 of those across all six major film studios.

There's a lot of circumstantial evidence that point to this being a firing but if it's actually a first look deal then I don't think it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Hypo View Post
                      Except Deadline and The Wrap say it's a first look deal, which is pretty exclusive company...as of October 2017 there were only 139 of those across all six major film studios.

There's a lot of circumstantial evidence that point to this being a firing but if it's actually a first look deal then I don't think it is.
                      It's not a firing. It's a second demotion. He was already demoted once in the film hierarchy. But he can write comics for as long as he wants to.

And hey, if he writes a great script for the GLC movie, they might make it despite Green Lantern's being a punchline in the popular culture. But I wouldn't bet on that.

The guy went from comics writer to CCO to comics writer. They had to put a good spin on that.

Comment

In a first-look deal, the company has dibs on anything the producer develops. If they don't want it, then he can shop it elsewhere.

In return for that arrangement, the company gives him office space and amenities.

Of course, if a Johns project had DC characters or properties in it, he couldn't shop it elsewhere anyway.
                        Trey Strain
                        Guardian of the Universe
                        Last edited by Trey Strain; 06-11-2018, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Demotion, firing, whatever my point was that if this is just spinning something to look good they wouldn't be signing a first look deal with him, as of last year WB only had 25 of those in effect, it's a bit more than just a courtesy.

Comment

I think you missed my post above yours. It's not that big a deal for Johns to get.

Comment

No, I'm disagreeing with you, an overall production deal wouldn't be a big deal for Johns' to get, a first look deal would be a big deal, if it is in fact a first look deal, since only a few places have reported it as such.

I mean the fact that WB only had 25 of them last year shows that they're not handing them out to everyone.

Comment

Working...
                              X