This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Walked with a Zombie (1943)

"What he could do to that word: beautiful. That's Paul's great weapon: words."

Nightlife (1989)

"Whatever you do, never bury yourself alive."

A pretty weak made-for-cable vampire comedy.

A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge (1985)

"Jesse, who is doing this to you?
    -Fred Krueger! He's inside me, and he wants to take me again!"

Originally posted by Darth_Primus View Post
    Venom
    Stuckman (whom I recall you follow too) called it "massively disappointing." You?
    Space Cop
    The Dandy
    Last edited by Space Cop; 10-14-2018, 01:51 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
      "Jesse, who is doing this to you?
      -Fred Krueger! He's inside me, and he wants to take me again!"
      Great. First it's Dirty Sunday Night Football on the radio when I'm going into work this morning, and now it's Gay Horror Quotes from Space Cop when I'm browsing the boards.

Stuckman (whom I recall you follow too) called it "massively disappointing." You?
      Speaking for myself, if it's better than Spider-Man 3, I'll probably enjoy it (and I'll admit it looks pretty damn off-kilter to begin with).
      Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• Temple (2017)

"Bit of a letdown."

The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)

"Jack, please, I'm only an elected official here, I can't make decisions by myself!"

25 years old today (10/9). Truthfully, I've never watched it for the Halloween season before (though I know people do) because I think of it so much more as a Christmas movie.

From Dusk Till Dawn (1996)

"I'm a mean, mhm mhm servant of God."

Originally posted by Agent Purple View Post
        Great. First it's Dirty Sunday Night Football on the radio when I'm going into work this morning, and now it's Gay Horror Quotes from Space Cop when I'm browsing the boards. . .
        In Never Sleep Again, they pretty hilariously cover all the unintended, but now blatantly obvious gay references, which extend to a seeming imbalance in the cast's sexuality. When the same documentarians covered Jason, they tried to do the same with Friday the 13th Part VII, but it's much less overt there.
        Space Cop
        The Dandy
        Last edited by Space Cop; 10-16-2018, 02:09 AM.

Comment

• Batman Unlimited: Monster Mayhem (2015)

Comment

• School of the Holy Beast (1974)

"Hell has come."

Japanese 70s version of nunsploitation. Alright. The basic plot is that a young woman joins a strict convent because her mother died there at her birth and she wants to know why. A bunch of sadism and a dash of lesbianism follow. Although this was a "pink" film, they could get away with the digs at Catholicism (or at least ascetic Catholicism) because it's not a Christian/Catholic country. That said, the controversial bits are mostly topless nuns being beat or bound.

Plan 9 from Outer Space (1959)

"God help us in the future."

Watched this with the trivia track to celebrate the 94th anniversary of Ed Wood's birthday (10/10/24). And the following because I was still in a Wood mood.

Orgy of the Dead (1965)

"A pussycat is born to be whipped."

Nowhere near as explicit as it sounds (and certainly not an "erotic masterpiece"), though it's not a family movie. The "fun" part is the horrible dialogue and terrible acting (much worse than P9fOS).
            Space Cop
            The Dandy
            Last edited by Space Cop; 10-16-2018, 01:16 PM.

Comment

• Ex Machina (2015)

Comment

• Nightworld (2017)

"Do not go into the hangar alone."

A widowed ex-cop (the main guy from Dazed and Confused) takes a private security job in Bulgaria guarding an ancient door under a creepy mansion. The basic concepts have been done better elsewhere, but it was alright and Robert Englund is good as the former caretaker who is called in as a consultant when anything appears on the many security cameras.

What We Do in the Shadows (2014)

"We're Werewolves, not Swear-Wolves."

Originally posted by robojac View Post
                Ex Machina (2015)
                That is a very good one.
                Space Cop
                The Dandy
                Last edited by Space Cop; 10-14-2018, 03:41 AM.

Comment

• Annihilation (2018)

Comment

• The Devil's Dolls [aka Worry Dolls] (2016)

"She'll be at peace soon."

Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers (1988)

" You can't kill damnation, Mister."

Sinbad: Eye of the Tiger (1977)

"Set sail in search of Melanthius and you'll set a course for Hell and damnation."

Watched this again in prep for meeting Patrick Wayne at Monster Bash (Pittsburgh) next week.
                    Space Cop
                    The Dandy
                    Last edited by Space Cop; 10-24-2018, 12:35 AM.

Comment

• Not just a conventional biopic Oscar baity pic, this is also an excellent look into Neil Armstrong and his aspirations. The movie successfully convoys the horrors of space, and comes off as terrifying at points, while also being an engrossing feature doing its entire 2 hour+ runtime. Gosling and Foy are both excellent, and are definitely Oscar worthy. Definitely one of the best films of the year, might even be my favorite.

Comment

• Bride of Chucky (1998)

"Chucky? He's so 80s. . . He isn't even scary."

Twenty years old now (10/15). I still remember seeing this one in theaters (first night, I think). I wasn't yet a gore hound but I was a Chucky fan.

Dracula [Sovereign of the Damned ](1980)

"A message from the disciples of Satan, darling. I wonder what it could be?"

An alright animated adaptation of Marvel's Tomb of Dracula.

The Body Snatcher (1945)

"Well, I've no wish for a rope cravat. I never like the small of hemp."
                        Space Cop
                        The Dandy
                        Last edited by Space Cop; 10-19-2018, 01:32 AM.

Comment

• The Pirates of Blood River (1962)

"I am not guilty. The cause of Maggie's death... was fear. Fear of her brutal husband. Yes, fear is your weapon, and it's a dangerous weapon because one day it will recoil on your heads. "

A young lover is exiled for adultery, and after grueling months at a penal quarry he manages to escape only to be captured by pirates. He strikes a deal with their captain to overthrow the corrupt town council in exchange for the pirates gaining a safe haven from patrolling navies, but things go south fast and the pirates demand the town's hidden treasure or they'll kill everyone.

Starring Oliver Reed, Christopher Lee, and Kerwin Mathews, Peter Arne, and Andrew Keir, this isn't the grandest flick (pretty humble, really) but it is fairly entertaining. You've got the Huguenots being the founders of the town on the Isle of Devon to escape persecution before falling to corruption themselves, which isn't a backstory I've seen very much (if ever; can't recall the Huguenots being mentioned outside of a historical text before), so I have to give that part a nod of appreciation for being a fairly original/uncommon premise.

I did like some of the acting, even if it wasn't especially inspired dialog. Andrew Keir has this really great retort to LaRoche (Lee) about not yielding to the Devil when threatened, and later when Mathews (playing his son, the exile) tries to urge his father to give up the hidden treasure, he comes up with this equally-impressive argument while still refusing (not very moral because he is willing to sacrifice the entire town just to spite some pirates, but still principled and inspired in its own way). On the opposite side you have Mathews, who wants fair laws and justice for his people, trying to find a safe way out of the madness engulfing them.

I have to say that Lee is somewhat handicapped in this role. He isn't poorly written, not really, but his character of Captain LaRoche is limited a bit and mostly just ruthless and pragmatic, not really given much room to be charismatic. He also has this ongoing issue where he can't use his left arm, always has up curled up to his side without a sling or anything, but we never get an explanation as to what the deal is about that.

For Oliver Reed fans...he gets a fairly cool fight against Peter Arne (playing Hench the Pirate), but otherwise he serves no real purpose here. The fight, in case you're wondering, is a blindfolded duel when the two start arguing about who gets to use a town girl (Marla Landi), and is actually a fun watch.

Oddly, when I popped the disc into my dad's PS4, a notice came up about the file being in 480 or 810 or something, a bunch of text. I've literally never seen such a thing before, and then when I dismissed it (from the TV, the PS4 didn't apparently have any ability to affect the notice), the disc wouldn't play. I tried again and everything worked. Goddamn weird.

Overall a decent film, and I now need to watch The Devil-Ship Pirates, which is on the same disc.

Comment

• A Quiet Place (2018)

"Who are we if we can't protect them? We have to protect them."

Dawn of the Dead (2004)

"What's the news?
                            -Bad."
                            Space Cop
                            The Dandy
                            Last edited by Space Cop; 10-28-2018, 03:44 AM.

Comment

• The Devil-Ship Pirates (1964)

"You're going to the West Indies with us, and I'm going to strip you of your ideals one by one until you're no better than the rest of us!"

Suffering heavy damage during a clash against the British Navy, the Spanish Armada privateer ship Diablo flees and hides on the English coast to effect repairs. While scouting the countryside and nearby town, an Armada officer tricks the locals into thinking that the Spanish won the war against England and the pirates now have free run of the peasants.

Another pirate flick starring Christopher Lee as Captain Robeles, Andrew Keir as Harry's father Tom, and one of the sidekick pirates from The Pirates of Blood River (pretty sure it's Michael Ripper since he was a known character actor, but it might have been Charles Houston, I dunno).

I've gotta say Lee is one sadistic bastard in this film. He tightens his grip on the village and his men naturally act more and more without discipline, which drives the remaining Armada officer (Barry Warren) nuts because he holds tight to his sense of duty while the pirates revel in their newfound power and debauchery.

I think other than Lee, the best performances belong to John Cairney (Harry, He of the Limp Arm, apparently a staple in pirate films written by Jimmy Sangster), who used to be a prisoner of the Spanish and loathes them, and helps organize a resistance to Lee's tyranny; and Barry Warren as Don Manuel Rogriguez de Sevilla, who just wants to return to service to King Phillip of Spain and not indulge in a pirate's life. Between the two I think Warren's performance is better, because we get to see these inner and outer struggles as he wrestles with living as a pirate versus upholding his sense of nobility and duty.

Notable side character of Sir Basil, the smug-little-shit politician played by Ernest Clark.

Personally I liked this better than Blood River, especially with the duel between Lee and Warren at the end and the explosive finale. It has a much better script and some good set pieces, a solid premise and admirable performances. I wish Warren's character had gotten a better finish, but his end was very respectable and noble, and I suppose that'll do.

Comment

• I Was a Teenage Frankenstein (1957)

"I know you have a civil tongue in your head because I sewed it back myself."

Pretty entertaining.

Grim Prairie Tales (1990)

"What surprises me is that you've survived so long, not knowin' two spits and half a fart about the country you're in."

Western horror anthology with Brad Dourif and James Earl Jones play the storytellers.
                                Space Cop
                                The Dandy
                                Last edited by Space Cop; 10-24-2018, 12:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X