No announcement yet.

The J.R.R. Tolkien Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cue onslaught of enraged fangirls in 3...2...1...
    Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• ^I forgot about that whole lighter-than-snow, lighter-than-grass bit. It's one of those things that sounds cool on page or even looks cool for a second on screen, but doesn't bear a lot of scrutiny. Of course that's the beauty with fantasy. If it doesn't work according to physics or chemistry, it's magic. Sure Tolkien elves are light enough to do that, but they can apparently still take and give a pretty good punch.

Space Cop
      The Dandy
      Last edited by Space Cop; 09-22-2017, 02:52 AM.

Comment

• Dental humor

Comment

• "Lord of the Bling"

Comment

• Didn't grab the link to the article this morning when I checked reddit, and browsing now didn't turn it up, but apparently Christopher Tolkien has stepped down as director of the Tolkien Estate.

Surprised as anyone can be, I suppose, but everyone saw this coming given he's nearly a hundred now. Guy had to retire sometime.

Comment

• Maybe the timing of his stepping down has something to do with this.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment...31f337aa1347d4

Comment

• Possible but doubtful. GRR Martin hasn't altered the release pacing of his novels because of anything the show did (he has no creative influence on it, never did), so similarly I can't imagine that even being Director of the Tolkien Estate would warrant much input from him if the producers/writers didn't vet their ideas through the estate for quality-control purposes.

Personally I'm going to now hold out more hope for a Silmarillion adaptation, even if it's just a lengthy graphic novel.

Comment

• I think it's great that the guy is even still alive, much less still protecting his father's work.

Comment

• This writer thinks, as I do, that the new people in charge are much more willing to make deals.

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2017...olkien-estate/

Comment

• Arthur C. Clarke, C.S. Lewis, and J.R.R. Tolkien walk into a bar...

. . . no, they did, really - a pub in Oxford called the Eastgate sometime in the late 1940s. Clarke had been corresponding with Lewis and they had much disagreement over science, religion and the value of space travel (Clarke was then chairman of the British Interplanetary Society). They decided to meet up, each bringing a friend along, for a face to face. Clarke brought fellow BIS member Val Cleaver and Lewis brought Tolkien.

From Odyssey: The Biography of Arthur C Clarke by Neil McAleer -

'Needless to say, neither side converted the other, and we refused to abandon our diabolical schemes of interplanetary conquest. But a fine time was had by all, and when, some hours later, we emerged a little unsteadily from the Eastgate, Dr. Lewis' parting words were "I'm sure you're very wicked people - but how dull it would be if everyone was good" '

--- found on r/books (reddit), gave me a chuckle

Comment

• Went to GameStop to pick up a couple things for my dad for Christmas, ended up having to choose between two Funko! Pop figures: Liberty Prime (Fallout 4) or Dwarven Colossus (Elder Scrolls), which was a limited edition release (and the one I picked, for that very reason).

As I was browsing, I found several LOTR figures: Frodo, Sam, Balrog, and Sarumon. Decided to get the White Wizard, though I might go back and get the Balrog later.

Comment

• You should drop into your local Barnes and Noble as well. They got a limited edition Balrog that glows in the dark and it is SWEET. Pretty hard to find though

Comment

• Yeah, no. "Local" BN for me is a long-ass drive that I have absolutely ZERO intention of making.

Comment

• "Fall of Gondolin" to be published as stand-alone novel for first time

Fuck! Yes!

Comment

• Christopher Tolkien is 93 and he's still publishing lost works of his dad. I doubt he'll ever stop, and I'm fine with that. Cool!

Comment

Working...
                                X