Horror Cinema

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Agent Purple View Post
    I did post a review of It (2017), I'm pretty sure, but I didn't stay once the credits rolled because it was getting late and I wanted to get home and go to bed.
    So you did. We even interacted about the missing werewolf. Chalk that up go my poor memory (plus writing that while another movie was playing in the background) and me assuming you did the very thing I was trying to get out of (sitting through 10-15 minutes of boring credits on the chance there's 20 seconds teasing the next movie).

Comment

• Originally posted by Agent Purple View Post
      Update: both her and her husband hate the new It. We got into a pretend argument via text messages because I like the new film as much as the miniseries.

Speaking of, my parents and I just watched the first half or so of it, really brings back the memories (we had to stop when Beverly escapes her old home after returning, we'll resume tomorrow).

Seeing it again refreshes a lot of age-diminished memories, like how the pharmacist Mr. Keene tried to help Eddie, or how the goddamn Cancer Man from The X-Files was the school principal. I also took major note of how The Turtle is pretty much directly referred to when Adult Mike tells Adult Bill he had a sudden urge to buy a bike repair kit months before he even saw Bill's old bike, and how some kind of force was guiding them all that summer.

And apparently the miniseries altered the timeline too, because Georgie dies in 1960 with the rest of the childhood section being in 1963 instead of '58. They still keep the 27 year rule, because the adult section is in 1990, when the miniseries was made. They also put the Losers and bullies together in class, which makes little sense because they're several years apart (but hey, that teacher didn't take any shit from Henry!).

Watching the first showdown with Pennywise in the sewers was great, especially when he almost gets Stan and Eddie melts his fucking face (one of my favorite scenes). When the bullies get taken down, I forgot how Belch died, but only slightly, same with Morris (apparently they change it from Victor, but I think he shows up as a guise for the clown when Bowers escapes the asylum later, I'll have to check tomorrow).

Overall having a great time revisiting this classic, and if the order of the novel my mom placed through Amazon ever shows up, I'll enjoy that as well.
      After seeing the new It twice, I'm still in a mood to stay with this story a bit longer. I picked up the bluray of the 1990 version for less than 8 bucks at a store, and am still trying to con my daughter, son or wife to sit and rewatch it with me. I have a copy of the book but never got far into reading it, so I think I am going to give it another shot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
        After seeing the new It twice, I'm still in a mood to stay with this story a bit longer.
        It's worth noting that, I believe, a part of the problem some people have with the film as opposed to the miniseries is that the miniseries alternated time periods the way the novel does, whereas the film is chronological, which is something that thematically helped both novel and miniseries but might be throwing people off here.
        Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• If they did it in one movie, then alternating back and forth would be a good idea. But with two movies, I think they made the right decision to do the kids in the first, and adult versions in the second. In fact, I don't think I see any changes they made from the novel that either hurt the film, or weren't the right decision.

Comment

• Doing it in one film would mean a shit-ton of cut material, because there's too much they'd end up leaving out without making the thing longer than a Peter Jackson flick. Even the miniseries without commercials is 186 minutes long, and that thing has great pacing for the most part.

Comment

After seeing the new It twice, I'm still in a mood to stay with this story a bit longer. I picked up the bluray of the 1990 version for less than 8 bucks at a store, and am still trying to con my daughter, son or wife to sit and rewatch it with me. I have a copy of the book but never got far into reading it, so I think I am going to give it another shot.
              So, did you stay for the credits? Is there anything after?

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
              If they did it in one movie, then alternating back and forth would be a good idea. But with two movies, I think they made the right decision to do the kids in the first, and adult versions in the second. In fact, I don't think I see any changes they made from the novel that either hurt the film, or weren't the right decision.
              Most King fans seem to agree that the modern part of It the novel is weaker than the flashback portion (especially how they defeat Pennywise vs how they did it in the 50s) and the miniseries only compounded that discrepancy. Since the movies have split those and presumably will downplay the clearing amnesia aspect, they'll have an uphill battle making #2 as interesting as #1.

Comment

• I didn't stay for an after credits scene because I never heard about there being one. Pretty sure there isn't.

Comment

• Apparently not. From "the Wrap":

Though a title card “It: Chapter 1” appears just before the credits to let the audience know there’s more Pennywise to come, there’s no bonus scene at the bitter, bitter end. However, the filmmakers have included another tease at the very end: the sound of the evil Pennywise (Bill Skarsgård) cackling.

Comment

• James Rolfe/Mike Matei discuss IT (2017)

More of a "thoughts on" and less a "review," and they both make clear they are very unfamiliar with the book. Overall they are each pretty positive about the film, but I have to agree that Richie was a bit overdone.

Comment

• Celebrate Stephen King's 70th birthday by watching the one movie he thinks deserves a second shot

I kind of liked the book, didn't know there was a film. Doubt I'll watch it, but I also won't badmouth it out of ignorance or bandwagoning.

Also, Simpsons Treehouse of Horror issue for 2017 came out yesterday. First story is "IT HAPPENS" and is a parody of King's It, with Krusty haunting Homer, Marge, Lenny, Carl, and Barney (who gets Georgie'd, and is then replaced by Skinner). I thought it was hilarious.

Comment

• Has anyone seen The Houses That October Built ?

I normally have zero use for found footage movies, but the first one I felt was an exception and worked very well. I was pretty entertained by that film and am curious if they managed to make the sequel worth seeing.

Comment

Has anyone seen The Houses That October Built ? . . .

I saw the first one. At first I wasn't getting into it (the characters were so annoying), but the third act grabbed me (though I vaguely recall feeling like I didn't know what was going on sometimes). The ending was a real WTF moment. I'll want to check out #2, but I can wait for Netflix.

Comment

• I just saw a trailer for part 2 and it has me interested in checking out part 1. I don't expect it to blow my socks off or anything, just be a decent time waster with some genuine creeps. It reminds me of 31 with the "this haunted house is real" vibe but without the terrible vulgarity for vulgarity's sake.
                            http://cropsycrypt.blogspot.com/

Comment

• I saw the first one for free on netflix, so that helped. I suppose "pleasantly surprised" pretty well describes my feelings after seeing it. Definitely worth seeing for free.

Comment

I saw the first one for free on netflix, so that helped. I suppose "pleasantly surprised" pretty well describes my feelings after seeing it. Definitely worth seeing for free.
                                Yes. I would agree. I was doubtful about even watching it, but I figured "meh, I've probably seen worse." But I did like it (not love) and got invested in the mystery. And, btw, (without getting into spoilers) it still feels like a mystery to me. Maybe that's addressed in #2, but I felt #1 ended without me really knowing why what happened happened.

Comment

Working...
                                X