Do you like "Emerald Twilight"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GC1999 View Post
    Except Marz was right. NO ONE was talking about Green Lantern prior to Emerald Twilight. It was a blip on a radar, an unremarkable B-level DC superhero comic most would avoid with sales to reflect it.

Emerald Twilight, like it or hate it, put Green Lantern on the map in a HUGE way. I know tons of Green Lantern fans today that never would have picked up a copy of GL if not directly or indirectly because of Emerald Twilight.
    I feel exactly the same way.

Comment

I liked ET. I can completely understand the viewpoint that would hate it, but to each their own.

I really could have used more build-up time to explain Hal's turning on the Corps, but I suppose Geoff Johns should thank his lucky stars that it was as short as it was, because it might have made it more difficult to retcon in a yellow fear bug if the change was believably portrayed.

I guess I liked it because it was so different. I thought that Hal was going to become DC's answer to Magneto, a guy who does bad things for good intentions, someone who thinks Superman doesn't go far enough to get the job done right.

Comment

Except Marz was right. NO ONE was talking about Green Lantern prior to Emerald Twilight. It was a blip on a radar, an unremarkable B-level DC superhero comic most would avoid with sales to reflect it.

Emerald Twilight, like it or hate it, put Green Lantern on the map in a HUGE way. I know tons of Green Lantern fans today that never would have picked up a copy of GL if not directly or indirectly because of Emerald Twilight.
        it really was a travesty.

Also, its about the worst possible way to "make changes". Tossing aside everything that defined the character for an established thirty years and completely flip flop him in three issues? Absurd.

They pulled Marz off Silver Surfer and gave him a book he had no history on and told him to change it. It was horrid.

I don't care how much attention it got - it was the wrong kind of attention. Those that didn't appreciate the bastardization of Hal spoke the only way they could - by not purchasing the title any longer. Thats certainly what I did.

Regardless of how many copies it sold - there were alot of long-time fans that suddenly found themselves without a character.

There are plenty of ways to shake things up, but for christ's sake - keep it within the relative confines of the character. Don't just make up complete nonsense and expect readers to suddenly believe it.

I'm sure it sold books; all dramatic changes get press, and sell books, that isn't anything new. It was the way they made the changes that are so retarded.

Comment

*raises hand* I'm one of them. It's kind of sad, actually. :P When I first got into DC, I had absolutely no interest in the Lantern franchise outside of Hal's adventures with Ollie and Guy's tenure in the JLI. But then one day I was browsing the 'Fictional Mass Murderers' sub-directory on Wikipedia and saw the name 'Hal Jordan' there. I was all: "WAIT. WHAT!?", which prompted me to spend the next hour or so reading every GL-related page on Wikipedia and discovering that, okay, it kind of was an *interesting* series.

'Rebirth' was being put out at the time, so I started picking it up the next day. XD I'm a total GL noob, so I'm sure it all looks very different thirteen years after the fact. I like that ET happened because it gave Hal a character arc that I appreciate. If I had been reading at the time...

... well, it would probably feel something like I felt when Maxwell Lord shot the Blue Beetle in the head. (except that no one cares enough about Max to give him a mini series exonerating all his OOC wrongs T__T. Except me. If I ever get a job writing for DC, guys, you'll know where to find me.)

(the other two big GL fans I know in RL got into it with Rebirth and GLV3 #51 respectively; all my other comic friends only really know GL through Guy. Uh. That may or may not be my fault.)

Comment

Yes but look at how many fans Kyle brought onto the book.
            My Ketogenic Journey

Comment

The biggest Green Lantern mishap that annoys me to no end was the disregard of Hal Jordan in the DCAU... made no sense to give Kyle the ring from Abin Sur and have him face Sinestro, that was just flat out WRONG and ruined both Kyle's character in the DCAU and the DCAU's Green Lantern stories forever to come... some were good but they always had John being protrayed with Hal and Kyle's characteristics... even when Kyle was present!

The DCAU is the bane of Green Lantern lore... period.
              Do good. Be well. Make happy.

Comment

Are you talking about the Kyle appearance on Superman TAS ???? I still haven't seen it.
                My Ketogenic Journey

Comment

Originally posted by GLJIMT View Post
                  Are you talking about the Kyle appearance on Superman TAS ???? I still haven't seen it.
                  Yes, they basically did Hal's origin story with Kyle standing in for him and placing Sinestro in for Legion. Really pathetic, to be totally honest.

Comment

Sinestro makes sense, being placed in for Legion, that's what I expect to happen if there is ever a movie. Which season is this on?
                    My Ketogenic Journey

Comment

Its the last season, I believe, right before they started doing the Batman/Superman hour. Its an episode called "In Brightest Day." I'm actually borrowing the DVD from KilowogCK, right now, and plan to rip the episode and upload it to MySpace. It may be bad, buts its the closest thing to a Hal story I have that isn't the retarded 60's filmation.

Comment

Hey!

Don't be hatin' on the Superfriends!!! :O :O :O

....... actually, on second thought. Go right ahead.

Comment

What can I say. I felt bad for Hal but it made things exciting!

Comment

The Hal scene in "The Once and Future Thing" (I think thats the episode) of JLU kinda made me feel better about the whole thing, though. Time was shifting and parallel dimensions were crossing and what not, and suddenly John turns into Hal, and he says, "Name's Hal Jordan. It was another shift in the timeline. Don't worry, I'm up to speed." A few moments later, Hal is scanning something with his ring and turns back into John. Kinda goofy, but not bad. Showed that the DCAU knew it wasn't the real DCU, and wasn't trying to be. Made me enjoy the rest of the series more.

And then we have Duck Dodgers, where Dodgers accidentally gets Hal's laundry and becomes Green Lantern for a Day... good story and a funny episode... but it only had Hal in it at the very end when he took his ring back. Hal fans are constantly cheated when it comes to modern DC cartoons.

Of course, now Hal has been seen in "The Batman" and, of course, we have "New Frontier" to look forward to... so I'm going to try to not hold a grudge.

Comment

Originally posted by Cephied Variable View Post
                              Hey!

Don't be hatin' on the Superfriends!!! :O :O :O

....... actually, on second thought. Go right ahead.
                              He is not referring to the Superfriends, prior to that show there was a cartoon made by filmation that sometimes had Hal in it but they gave him some weird blue alien side kick
                              My Ketogenic Journey

Comment

Originally posted by GLJIMT View Post
                                He is not referring to the Superfriends, prior to that show there was a cartoon made by filmation that sometimes had Hal in it but they gave him some weird blue alien side kick
                                That was Kairo...and Kairo liked to ride around on Hal's butt...which probably inspired The Ambiguously Gay Duo on SNL.

Here's a pretty good rundown on Kairo...

http://www.seanbaby.com/superfriends/greenlb.htm

Comment

Working...
                                X