Any other Star Trek fans on here??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
    ^Yeah, if the Picard project is some attempt to mesh the Prime and Kelvin universes, I'm not optimistic.
    I'm not sure how that could make any sense, in-universe, but the alternative of doing it without any in-universe explanation for it is WAAAAAAAY worse, IMHO.

Comment

• Really? I just assumed if Picard was returning it would be the prime timeline. I enjoy the kelvin timeline in the movies for what they are, but I dont want tonsee the real timeline disappear.

Comment

• If the conclusions in that video are accurate, and I hope they are not, but logical over all. If their accurate that tells me this reinvention of Trek will stumble and fall flat on it's face hard. At least at first, in 10 years they might get their act together and someone create something that finally makes all or most of the fans and licensees happy.

Darth_Andrea

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth_Andrea View Post
          If the conclusions in that video are accurate, and I hope they are not, but logical over all. If their accurate that tells me this reinvention of Trek will stumble and fall flat on it's face hard. At least at first, in 10 years they might get their act together and someone create something that finally makes all or most of the fans and licensees happy.
          I hope so (or better yet that things fall apart), but, honestly, I'm sitting here still shocked that Discovery got picked up for a season 2.

Comment

I hope so (or better yet that things fall apart), but, honestly, I'm sitting here still shocked that Discovery got picked up for a season 2.
            If that video is accurate, I don't find it surprising that it got picked up for another season, since apparently season 1 was kind of a free ride for the network. Since they are pushing CBS All Access hard, and Discovery was kind of the tentpole for that, I'd guess it has to lose a bunch of money before they will axe it. Now that the network is on the hook for any failures to a greater degree than first season, we'll see if it gets renewed for a 3rd season. I hope it doesn't.

Comment

• The issue falls in what happens with the licensees. If CBS can't convince outlets and manufacturers to get more "New" stuff made and on the market Trek may die completely. There are a lot of dead properties out there that died because they couldn't move merchandise.

The merchandise problem is solely CBS's fault. Their "Product" isn't on television. So it's not visible and not in the general public's mind. Which means just having it on the shelf won't usually be enough. I don't know how many times I've seen models of ships, or toys or statues from Trek on a shelf somewhere and just kept walking. Either because I didn't want it or had other things on my mind as far as product I was looking for. Streaming services, as they are now are never going to generate the market draw for product related to their shows as Movies or broadcast/Cable Television will.

Out Of Sight Out Of Mind. And that's the major problem CBS is facing with Trek.

Darth_Andrea

Comment

• Trek merchandise always seems overpriced to me, too. As big if a Trek fan as I am, I think I own two Trek shirts. Any other merchandise (aside from books) I got when I was much younger, and not paying for it myself.

Comment

• I have a 2 shelves and 3 glass cases, all full of Trek ships and a few TNG playsets, Bridge, Engine Room, Transporter Room. A lot of those I bought on Ebay because by the time I got around to them they were already out of manufacture. I'm happy to have them. I just wish there was more out there and in larger stock.

I agree most of it even when new and on the shelves are too expensive. They make things for the high end collector and forget about the 8yr old just discovering Trek for the first time. Except for some places that still have stock of the Star Trek Beyond movie toys on shelves that I've seen, stock that's sat there since release, you don't find anything for the younger fans or for those who don't have the deep pockets for the $100 statues or $500 "Replica" items .. it's frustrating at times.

Darth_Andrea

Comment

• I have a bunch of the TNG figures (some open, some boxed) from when I was teen. I have an Enterprise phone actually hooked up in my den, a FC hald-sheet poster, a Spock-style tunic, a replica communicator and oversized TNG Type 1 phaser, a couple of the recent diorama classic figures, a couple 12" dolls, an original Bones Mego figure, a Guardian of Forever ornament, and a kawai bean bag Spock. The only ships I have are a Micro Machine set.

About 2/3 of that were gifts from family or friends, who know I'm a Trekkie. I theoretically would be willing to get more (I really want a classic phaser and just last night was eBay browsing for a 12" Andorian*), but mostly I want to spend my Trek budget on the books. I probably have 100+.

*insert joke here
                    Space Cop
                    The Dandy
                    Last edited by Space Cop; 08-15-2018, 04:57 PM.

Comment

• Yeah, there is plenty of stuff I've seen that I would love to own. I just can't justify the expense. Maybe if they are still making Trek stuff after all the kids have gone through college I can afford to pick up a few nice pieces. (I do actually have some action figures from years back, that I've passed on to the kids. I just haven't seen anything like that in the stores in YEARS. Not at reasonable prices, anyway.)

Comment

I have a bunch of the TNG figures (some open, some boxed) from when I was teen . I have a Trek phone, a poster, a Spock-style shirt, a replica communicator, and oversized TNG Type 1 phaser, a couple of the recent diorama classic figures, a couple 12" dolls, an original Bones Mego figure, a Guardian of Forever ornament, and little Spock bean bag guy. The only ships I have are a Micro Machine set.

About 2/3 of that were gifts from Trek family or friends. I theoretically would be willing to get more (I really want a classic phaser and just last night was eBay browsing for a 12" Andorian), but mostly I want to spend my Trek budget on the books.
                        Your situation sounds very similar to mine. I've got some TNG figures, a couple toy phasers and tricorders, and some ornaments (including two Micro Machine collections that I got on clearance years back, and turned into ornaments by adding screw-eyes on the top), but almost all of that was gifted to me at various times, and none recently.

I own the various movies on DVD (gifted), bought the Animated Series on DVD, and had TOS on DVD given to me by a very generous guy at work who was replacing them with a new Blu-ray set (the same guy who just handed me all the official Trek ornaments I have one day, just because he thought I'd like them- I've got an Enterprise-D, a Klingon Bird of Prey, the Galileo Shuttlecraft, and one with Kirk getting showered with tribbles when you press a button).

My Trek purchasing has been mostly restricted to books, and I have what most would probably consider an unreasonable amount of them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth_Andrea View Post
                          ... and a few TNG playsets ... Bridge ...
                          I always wanted that Bridge playset, but I believe it was outside of what my parents were willing to spend or at least outside of that plus whatever comic stuff I would've wanted at the time.

Comment

• Awesome news. Adios, Abramsverse.

Comment

I always wanted that Bridge playset, but I believe it was outside of what my parents were willing to spend or at least outside of that plus whatever comic stuff I would've wanted at the time.

I paid far far too much for it on Ebay, mostly because I had a burning need for it at the time, got it, messed with it for a couple hours, rearranged my entire Trek collection around it and don't think I messed with it again except for dusting for months lol ..

Darth_Andrea

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
                                Awesome news. Adios, Abramsverse.
                                I could live with that, but what I fear is something worse à la our CBS discussion below.

I like the three movies and own them despite their unTrek feeling (as with the rebooted James Bond, I'm comfortable partitioning it as its own thing), but I'm okay with them ending. The problem is it could instead lead to recasting or it could just fuel this proposal to merge the Prime and Kelvin timelines and both of those would be worse, imo.

Space Cop
                                The Dandy
                                Last edited by Space Cop; 08-15-2018, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X