Green Lantern Annual #4 Preview
    Writer: Robert Venditti
    Artist: Pascal Alixe & Martin Coccolo

33.33%
    33.33%
    22.22%
    11.11%
    0.00%

It's great how they spotlighted "GL:Lost Army" at the end there .... good job, DC

Comment

:Moderator:

Pretty disappointed with this issue. A flashback to help build Hal's "renegade" status and some new baddies who remind me of the blue guy and his crew in GotG. Art was inconsistent and poor. 2 stars and not worth the almost $7 I had to pay for it (exchange rate sucks for Canadians right now).
      sigpic
      Winner: Reality TV draft 2014

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman

Comment

If they were going to have a flashback issue, couldn't they have filled us in on how Hal got to his new status quo a bit more? Did I miss somewhere when we learned how he acquired Darlene?

Comment

One star. This issue was terrible.

We start with a flashback of Hal getting chased by the GLC for stealing Krona's Gauntlet. Oh, and just to keep the annoyance level up, there's a cameo of the "new" Lobo. Just to tick you off. We seesaw between present-day with longhaired Hal Jordan & his motley crew on a near-rebellious starship. The overall impression I got was that Hal's gradually losing willpower control over Krona's Gauntlet. Things keep "slipping" through when Hal's tired or angry.

Meanwhile, on a planet Hal & company previously visited, a wannabe interstellar police force comes a-knockin', and they want to know where Hal Jordan went. Because the ones that capture the renegade Green Lantern get to call themselves the "new" police force for everyone to obey. Yeah, sure - and tell Sinestro "hi" for me, wouldya?

Artwork, including a long-haired Hal Jordan also needing a bath, was absolutely pitiful. Like a 2-year art student was drawing & coloring the comic - everything looked like a chalk drawing, very "fuzzy". Minus two stars just for that.

Dialogue was also weak. Trapper, Darlene, Virgo - none of them said anything meaningful. Hal's tracing the worlds that have "disappeared", either from Source Wall gravel, Black Hand, or any reason. Rather than heading for Earth, where any spacefaring human like Black Hand is most likely to return to, eventually.

A minor snippet saying Krona's Gauntlet might be as powerful as twelve Green Lantern rings, but that might be repeated knowledge from Blackest Night. So this Annual is altogether worthless. Skip it - even knowing about the "Gray Agents" wannabe police force isn't worth the money for this issue.

Comment

I'll admit I was expecting more from this issue. The flashback didn't really flesh what happened after he quit the corps. Sure, he was chased by some of the more well known lanterns but I would have rather seen him acquire Darlene as well. At least they tried to increase his notoriety though.

Could have been worse but still felt a little flat.

Comment

:Moderator:

Anyone else find it odd that Hal is talking about how important his reputation is now that he's on the run, basically saying "it helps for people to be afraid of you." Um...I seem to recall a guy who said the very same thing, and even founded a Corps on the principle of Fear. Pretty sure Hal knows about him as well...and always fought against his logic on moral grounds.

I get Hal needs to change his game up, but he'll he might as well go to Warworld and show Sinny his shiny new weapon and ask if he can have a Yellow Ring to go with it.
              sigpic
              Winner: Reality TV draft 2014

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick_GL View Post
                Anyone else find it odd that Hal is talking about how important his reputation is now that he's on the run, basically saying "it helps for people to be afraid of you." Um...I seem to recall a guy who said the very same thing, and even founded a Corps on the principle of Fear. Pretty sure Hal knows about him as well...and always fought against his logic on moral grounds.

I get Hal needs to change his game up, but he'll he might as well go to Warworld and show Sinny his shiny new weapon and ask if he can have a Yellow Ring to go with it.
                And Sinestro now controls Saint Walker and the last Blue Lantern ring, which can only be unlocked to higher function in the presence of willpower, which Hal is now the sole emitter of with Krona's Gauntlet.

Sounds like a match to me!

Comment

Mediocre issue, especially for an annual. There were a few decent story points like Hal, sounding suspiciously like Sinestro, giving Trapper a speech about how fear trumps mindless killing in terms of being an outlaw. I'm sure the yellow slingers would have been proud to hear that.

I'm not sure what to think of the Gray Agents at this point. It seems like Venditti is adding a corps that really isn't a corps in the light wielder sense. Time will tell if they are anything but a disposable short term story device.

The art= oy vey. Hal looked like a girl when he wasn't wearing his mask. I wasn't necessarily opposed to the current look given the story, but now I can't wait for Hal to get his simple, sleek look back with a new artist.
                  Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

Working...
                  X