Where did v4 go wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SD80MAC View Post
    That's for the "Where did v5 go wrong?" thread.
    Damn, you're right.

Where did Volume 4 go wrong? Immediately after Blackest Night. The Brightest Day issues were kinda boring, and it was about that time when I grew frustrated with the multi-color Corps stuff, and when they shifted all focus on it.

Comment

I'll say the easy answer with Brightest Day. I loved everything up till Blackest Night though.

Comment

The end of Blackest Night for me, thought the event started very strong and there were some good tie-ins but by the end...blargh.

Comment

I'm in the right-after-Blackest-Night camp.

Comment

In the middle of Blackest Night if I have to pick a moment.

Comment

yeah everything was going fine til BD

IonFan says

MAGA then, MAGA now, MAGA FOREVER

Comment

I can almost say it didn't. V4 is my favorite GL period. Hal, John, Kyle, and Guy were all together in the Corps again. DC introduced compelling characters like Atrocitus, Larfleeze, Saint Walker, and Indigo-1. Sinestro was reintroduced with a new look and a privileged place in the Lanternverse.

Then there was Blackest Night. I re-read it again recently, and it's like reading a history of DC Comics. Even characters that I usually find boring like Superman, Captain Cold, Bart Allen, and Robin were interesting to me in this context. The art was exquisitely gross and the storyline was creepy. What's not to love?

But, I did say "almost". The GOTU were far too involved near the end of Vol. 4 and that seeped into the Vol. 5 "evil Guardians" storyline. The Third Army wasn't horrible, but it wasn't up to the high standard set by previous stories.
                Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

I think v4 went stale somewhere at the very end of Blackest Night. I can't quite put my finger on it (it's been too long since I read the books) but there was a point when I thought, the story would have been better if it ended 2 issues ago. And then it never really recovered from that.

Comment

Volume 4 went wrong for me with the re-telling of Hal's origin. There were a few stale ideas that had to be knocked off (Emerald Dawn, especially Guy Gardner as a prisoner's counselor), but those could have been simply forgotten. Making Atrocitus the reason Abin Sur crashed (retcon for Van Allen radiation belts and some other ideas) was just, pardon the pun, atrocious. Multi-colored corps were interesting for the duration of Blackest Night, then got stale, now are rancid. According to the prophecy, they should have self-extinguished at its end. Brightest Day resurrected the wrong heroes and villains, with no viable explanation. Then we get into the constant wars, on and on and on and on. BOOOOORING.

The power of will is found at the deepest level of your being. It's more than mere rules. It's a duty that you must honor.

Comment

Originally posted by SD80MAC View Post
                      That's for the "Where did v5 go wrong?" thread.
                      Is it started yet? Number one.

The power of will is found at the deepest level of your being. It's more than mere rules. It's a duty that you must honor.

Comment

I like the color corps,well the idea. I think with alot of them less is more. I think focus on them one at a time would have been more entertaining.Itr was all too much too fast. I can see where alot of people have a bad taset in thier mouths with them but,I promise you the idea is not trash,It can use a rest,though.

Hey I like vol 5. Sinestro back as a Green Lantern. Love it. However like most of Goeff's good ideas it did not get played out right. I wanted to See Sinestro be a dick to the JLA and put perspective on just how powerful GL's are. I would have loved to see Sinestro verbally abuse some people,and make fun of all the faults that are obvious with that team. Then end it with Him only speaking with Wonder Woman and Aquaman because they really are the only ones with enough athourity,worthy of the great protector's time.

As usual though Goeff,just left the oprtunity behind to push the next big event. Such a tragic waste.
                        Take life with a Grain of salt and a shot of tequila!

Comment

Originally posted by Evergreen City View Post
                          Brightest Day resurrected the wrong heroes and villains, with no viable explanation.
                          What about Swampy? I loved his rebirth in BD much more than its retelling in New 52 vol. 1.

Comment

Originally posted by SocializingMogo View Post
                            What about Swampy? I loved his rebirth in BD much more than its retelling in New 52 vol. 1.
                            I'm of the opposite opinion. I don't care for the Brightest Day arc. It all seems so temporary and in the moment, like nothing anybody would ever want to reread or refer back to. A moment in time for comics we all forgot as soon as it was finished. And then the nU 52 version of Swamp Thing exists as its own thing apart from that. At the time it seemed like a mistake to me to not be in continuity with the issues that had literally JUST preceded it, but in hindsight making Swamp Thing volume 5 untethered from the BD event that launched it ended up working for the series. At least for me anyway.

Comment

If you think about it, very few ideas have gotten over with fans of DC and Marvel in the past 75 years. So to become so enthusiastic about the emotional spectrum that you'd build the Green Lantern franchise around it was a bad move almost by definition. DC got giddy and lost its head over Geoff's success with Rebirth -- which really was just what a lot of fans had been demanding for a very long time. It was like they were so desperate for a success that they overreacted when they finally had one. The flop of the GL movie was part of the same problem.

Comment

I honestly don't know exactly where they "went wrong". I know what things bugged ME (Mary Sue-nestro, retroactively evil Guardians, constant massive threats with little in the way of downtime or smaller stories, lack of any non-ring-using supporting cast), but I'm not willing to assume that those are universally accepted as flaws.

Comment

Working...
                                X