Your own personal Convergence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your own personal Convergence

I often wonder if DC asked me to make a event (yuk events). To fix the current state of Green Lantern how would I do it. I have several ideas,but this is not about me. It's about you. If DC gave a fvck about your opinions,what retcon you pitch. Give a Brief out line of how you would Fix Green Lantern with a clean slate to bring in the Green Lanterns that you want. whats the overall end game for your 10 year GL plan?
    Take life with a Grain of salt and a shot of tequila!

Well if I got hold of the GL title I'd stop focussing on big events, I'd stop focussing on adding to the continuity in big ways. Instead I'd focus on smaller, more character driven stories. I'd focus on the everyday life of a Green Lantern, not massive events that could change the fate of the GLC and the universe forever or shit like that.

One story I thought of recently was Hal Jordan (or now maybe Kyle) to be on Warworld or somewhere along those lines and he'd have to fight with someone to save Carol's life, but GL has to try his best to win the fight otherwise all three die, and Mongul or something knows whether he's trying his best via mindreading or something like that. The only way to save Carol is GL dying in the fight, but GL has to try his best to stay alive else everyone dies, even though he wants so badly to loose. And then sadly GL wins the fight and Carol is killed.

Just a random example I thought up But yeah, less big events, maybe add a bit of mystery to the GLC but now seeing the Guardian's or much of the corps often. Make the corps a more secretive organisation.
    Originally posted by IonFan
    (even if the ear sucking helped get me off faster)
    Originally posted by Big Daddy Caesar
    If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
    Originally posted by Quaker
    I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.

Comment

The thing I'd do is drop multipart story lines for about five years and just have Adventures. single or two issue stories that revamped classic lantern Villains for the new era and brought them all up to date. give GL a real rogues gallery again. (doesn't matter if they're on Earth or in space or alternating but just no more of this bega-event crap. save the events for a few years and let the heroes just be the heroes they are without constantly having to redefine their roles in the Universe. (and thats not just GL either I'd make that a standing order for all books and characters.

The Biggest Problem with the Didio(t)* Era of DC Comics is the over abundance of mega-Crisis level story lines. (That and the Batmaning** of hero's Origins)

*pronounced De(The) Idiot.
      ** Batmaning: Making a super-hero's origin include a tragedy to motivate the hero into pursuing heroism/vigilantism as a lifestyle/career
      ie: Pre-Rebirth Barry Allen became a forensic scientist due to a natural aptitude in Science and Chemistry as well as idolizing the Golden age Flash Jay Garrick whereas post Rebirth/New52 Barry Allen became a Forensic Scientist due to the Murder of his mother and the framing of his father.
      Green Lantern Unlimited!

Comment

Originally posted by Lantern2814.20850 View Post
        The thing I'd do is drop multipart story lines for about five years and just have Adventures. single or two issue stories that revamped classic lantern Villains for the new era and brought them all up to date. give GL a real rogues gallery again. (doesn't matter if they're on Earth or in space or alternating but just no more of this bega-event crap. save the events for a few years and let the heroes just be the heroes they are without constantly having to redefine their roles in the Universe. (and thats not just GL either I'd make that a standing order for all books and characters.

The Biggest Problem with the Didio(t)* Era of DC Comics is the over abundance of mega-Crisis level story lines. (That and the Batmaning** of hero's Origins)
        Totally agree. I'm suck to death of mega events.
        If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.

Comment

-- Stay away from universal-level threats for awhile
          -- Stay away from the other Lantern Corps for awhile
          -- Stay away from the idea that Green Lanterns are "beat cops" - make them a real presence then they show up. They wield "the most powerful weapon in the friggin' universe!" I'm sick of seeing them all hanging out on OA for no reason. Green Lanterns should only get together if it's a BIG deal.
          -- Bring back the Guardians in some form and NOT have them be a$$holes.
          -- Build up sector 2814 so that we get to know the main races, planets, issues, etc. and show Hal's effect on his sector. Use this backdrop to tell a larger story rather than someone trying to destroy the Corps all the time.

Comment

-I would bring Par(Hal)lax from an alternate timeline or maybe the future to be Hal's ultimate foe. A Ra's Al Ghul type foe that only shows up once in a blue moon. The ultimate test.

-Utilize DC's vastly underused cosmic gallery, First and foremost restart the rivalry between the GLC and the L.e.g.i.o.n. (Vril Dox is a greatly underused but complex character). Also use the Omega Men, started in GLC strangely enough the Vegan universe and the characters would be a great off earth place for stories to take place.

-Maybe do a cool story where Hal actually connects to a "Roy Thomas/Geoff Johns" JSA universe. Basically combining pre-Crisis Thomas' All Star Squadron with Geoff John's run on JSA universe. Maybe with Infinity Inc. taking whatever roll, the Justice League played in those John's JSA stories. Not a company wide thing just a GL thing, maybe a yearly crossover with Alan Scott father of Jade and Obsidian and alpha dog of the JSA. That's my Alan Scott the one I want to see Hal have adventures with.

-No problem with universe level events but only occasionally and always self contained. The Sinestro Corps War was my favorite storyline in modern era. It was just a GL story not a company wide event. So was the Great Darkness Saga (LSH) as well as the Surtur Saga (Thor). All three of those stories took years to build but were worth the payoff and are considered the best runs for their prospective characters.

-Arisia as a love interest for Hal, without all the baggage just fun and adventurous not someone that wants Hal to change but someone that accepts Hal as he is.

-Rebuild the Rogues gallery, whether that means updating existing characters, turning the Invisible Destroyer into a Juggernaut/Doomsday type villain, bringing back the Shark or creating new ones. This is the one thing Geoff failed at, he didn't reinvigorate the rogues, he brought back Sinestro fell in love with him and then proceeded to write for him instead of Hal. Blackhand meh.

-Bring back Guy and even Kyle into the Corps, doing what they do best, for Kyle I guess that is earth based tales, for Guy maybe restart the Fist of the Corps. John as architect builder planner. In a GLC type book.

-Bring back Tales of the Corps to allow other voices to add to the Green Lantern mythos without giving them full control of the franchise. Some ideas which can be incorporated into main storylines. Allowing the best in the business to add to the franchise without long time commitments. The Blackest Night prophecy, Green Magic, the Green Lantern Corpse were ideas not born from the main GL writers at the time.

-A list artists, Green Lantern is still even now DC's 2nd best franchise behind the otherworldly successful Batverse. Back in the day you knew who Marvel's best artists were because they were either on an X-Book or Amazing Spiderman. Now DC puts it's best on lower level books trying to keep them afloat. Ivan Reis is the best in the business and if he isn't on Justice League, or Batman, he needs to be on Green Lantern, not trying to get people to try Cyborg or keep Aquaman afloat. GL and the GLC title would only have A-list talent on it. Ivan Reis, Darryl Banks, Jimenez, Nikola Scott, John Byrne top talent only for this title.

Comment

I'd like to see the "big events" last longer! Have them fade out and come back. Not the sameold "oh noes the DC universe will end (yeah right)" but 5 issues later the threat is gone forever after-they-find-a-surprise-weakness-that-defeats-them-in-half-an-issue. Same trope over and over. Solution? I've said this repeatedly: Game-of-Thrones. Have something occur now that isn't resolved until 10+ issues later. Weave in plot threads, subplots, etc. They have 5 titles for crying out loud, this could be done. I think I'm probably in the minority on this one, most of you want a return to the golden days of one-issue stories. Whereas I think we should facelift the Geoff Johns era style and invest more into plot. Maybe keep the main GL title mostly old-school one-offs and do the epic stuff in GLC and the rest?

Also, the old "Tales of the Green Lantern Corps" mini-stories. I'd love to see that brought back somehow, altho GL:NG is kinda like that sometimes. Stories from the POV of odd GLs.
              sundrop
              Fatality's Blacksmith
              Last edited by sundrop; 03-09-2015, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sundrop View Post
                I'd like to see the "big events" last longer! Have them fade out and come back. Not the sameold "oh noes the DC universe will end (yeah right)" but 5 issues later the threat is gone forever after-they-find-a-surprise-weakness-that-defeats-them-in-half-an-issue. Same trope over and over. Solution? I've said this repeatedly: Game-of-Thrones. Have something occur now that isn't resolved until 10+ issues later. Weave in plot threads, subplots, etc. They have 5 titles for crying out loud, this could be done. I think I'm probably in the minority on this one, most of you want a return to the golden days of one-issue stories. Whereas I think we should facelift the Geoff Johns era style and invest more into plot. Maybe keep the main GL title mostly old-school one-offs and do the epic stuff in GLC and the rest?

Also, the old "Tales of the Green Lantern Corps" mini-stories. I'd love to see that brought back somehow, altho GL:NG is kinda like that sometimes. Stories from the POV of odd GLs.
                God no. Everything would just drag on forever, longer than it already does.

Comment

Many (including myself) have mentioned a desire to step away from the mega events, but the main problem with them is that most of them are just not well written. If the stories were actually GOOD, then we'd be creaming our pants all the time. The problem is that DC seems to just like coming up with awesome ideas for a premise for a Big Event, but the execution is lacking. Partly because they keep using them as lead-up the the Next Big Thing and partly because they're not able to tell satisfying stories that are *about the characters* - just about getting them to the next stage of stories, so it's never really satisfying.

Comment

Originally posted by Kane2814 View Post
                    Many (including myself) have mentioned a desire to step away from the mega events, but the main problem with them is that most of them are just not well written. If the stories were actually GOOD, then we'd be creaming our pants all the time. The problem is that DC seems to just like coming up with awesome ideas for a premise for a Big Event, but the execution is lacking. Partly because they keep using them as lead-up the the Next Big Thing and partly because they're not able to tell satisfying stories that are *about the characters* - just about getting them to the next stage of stories, so it's never really satisfying.
                    Also, no one of significance dies. Game of Thrones. There aren't any allegiances broken. Game of Thrones. Everything is too black-and-white. Game of Thrones. Do I sound like a GOT fanboy? I'm not really, haven't watched the show, but enjoyed the books. I just think that there is a lesson to be taken from it. If they want epic events, epic things have to take place. They aren't taking place, because nothing really changes in the end. After every event, the same status quo remains. It's too predictable.

Comment

Working...
                    X