The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Other Comics
FLASHCHAT

Miscellaneous GL Comics

Old 12-14-2019, 02:00 AM   #1551
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

DC Comics MARCH 2020 Solicitations
Old 12-16-2019, 06:35 PM   #1552
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

Wait, they're actually going to call it "The Green Lantern: Season 2"?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 07:10 PM   #1553
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

I guess "Volume 8" or wherever we're at would confuse too many people.
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 05:28 PM   #1554
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Wait, they're actually going to call it "The Green Lantern: Season 2"?
Yea, they went full retard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
A few thoughts:
  • I like the collection of artists on the Robin special.
  • My interest in Tom King's work has cooled quite a bit after Heroes in Crisis and the latter half of his Batman run, hoping Strange Adventures is a return to form.
  • Feel like Jorge Jimenez is a waste on a Tynion book.
  • Looking forward to Nick Derington art on the Batman/Superman book.
  • The Catwoman book has to be ending soon right? Batman/Catwoman is just around the corner.
  • The decision to renumber WW and Flash to the 750s feels kind of weird given that the supposed reason for 5G - whatever it ends up being - is to make the books more accessible to new readers.
  • I will never stop hating "The Green Lantern Season Two" as a title.
  • Very happy that Ram V is in fact the new writer on JLD.
  • I hate Ric Grayson.
  • Very happy to see Matias Bergara doing some DC work.
  • Covers I like:

Old 12-25-2019, 10:26 PM   #1555
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Quote:
I will never stop hating "The Green Lantern Season Two" as a title
I want to get a custom ugly Christmas sweater for you with this in big letters on the front.
Old 12-26-2019, 04:40 AM   #1556
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

That Frison variant to Low Low Woods is haunting.
Old 12-26-2019, 04:32 PM   #1557
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

I'm super excited to see Sideways return in Young Justice. I noticed Flash and Wonder Woman went back to classic numbering. They need to do his with Green Lantern already but will probably wait till after Morrison's second arc is part of the way done.

And on that Justice League cover I thought that other female might be Miss Martian... who seems to have taken J'onn's spot after he merged with Luthor.... but I don't think I'm right. Any other guesses who it might be? Will the team finally get a change-up that's actually... a real change?
Ωmega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 03:05 PM   #1558
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

A few creators teasing their stories for Crimes of Passion:

Old 01-11-2020, 02:12 PM   #1559
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Old 01-11-2020, 03:54 PM   #1560
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Didio did a retailer only address on facebook, I'm posting only his quotes below, click the links for Bleeding Cool's commentary on them:

Dan DiDio Promises No More Lateness For Black Label
Quote:
“I’m also very happy to see what we’ve seen from the Black Label material… Extraordinarily successful for us. The response and reaction has been better than we could imagine. Our plan is to make sure we’re consistent in the material we’re putting out, and that it’s strong, and that it comes out on time. We will not be soliciting anything until we are clear that this material will come out as scheduled. We like the maturity, the sensibility, the quality. The talent is going to be driving this line. We will not overproduce here, because we want to make sure this is a long-term plan.”
Doomsday Clock Will Not Completely Line Up With The DC Comics Timeline – Official
Quote:
“The schedule on Doomsday Clock made it very difficult to align a lot of product into it. You’ll see a reflection of Doomsday Clock on the timeline. A lot of what’s on the timeline has been driven by story beats that came out Doomsday Clock. It is truly affecting the line in that fashion. It doesn’t line up completely, but the sensibility, the purpose, the introduction of the JSA, the introduction of the Legion of Super-Heroes; those are key aspects of what the timeline is. Once you’ll see it on paper, it’ll all make sense.”
The New DC Timeline To Begin in Wonder Woman #750 With Scott Snyder and Bryan Hitch
Quote:
“There’s been a lot of chatter, myself included, about our timeline. The purpose is to bring in a baseline of storytelling that brings a level of consistency and more uniformity in the interpretations of the characters. We are looking to build a series of books that will re-tell the history of the DC Universe. In some ways, that will become our bible for the DC Universe.”

One of the first places you’ll see this happening is in Wonder Woman #750. The change in numbering is purposeful in the sense that [ Wonder Woman #750] is the first time that we’re acknowledging the timeline, and establishing [Wonder Woman] as our first superhero, in a story by Scott Snyder and Bryan Hitch. Something similar is going to be happening in The Flash.”

The #750 numbering is not a stunt. It is the ongoing numbering. You will not be seeing a Flash #1 or Wonder Woman #1 in the foreseeable future. That is their new numbering going forward. And you’ll see that happening with a couple of other series. It will not happen with every series, but will certainly be happening with some of the key books.”
Quote:
“It’s one thing to do an event, it’s another to do one that has impact. ‘Stories that matter’ is an important conversation we have-something that has a lasting effect on the line. That’s a lot of what we’re building to right now.
Why DC Comics Has Been Cancelling So Many Collections – and Taking Numbers Off the Spines
Quote:
“We had a very poor 2018 with our collections. It forced us to reevaluate what we were collecting and how, so you saw a lot of changes taking place. If you saw the cancellations that occurred after solicitation, that’s probably because there was no appreciable interest for these titles-meaning that we couldn’t hit the minimum number to justify print. I’d much prefer just to cancel books than to have devalued product out there. We have to find ways to make our collected editions valuable, so that people want to purchase them and put them on a shelf. We also have to reevaluate these collections of six issues and out-when you collect six issues of a periodical regardless if it’s a complete story. You’re going to see more tweaking going forward, but I feel like we’re in a very good place.”
Quote:
“It’s time to move on. Every change we make to the visual interpretation of our packaging is to excite people, and get more people excited about the books themselves.”
Quote:
“We’re not cancelling because it’s a couple of copies off the number. We’re cancelling because it’s thousands of copies off. If we cannot get to two-thirds of that [minimum] number, then it does not justify publication.”
Quote:
“We’re finding diminishing returns on the books with numbering on spines-they take the same periodical cadence that comes with our regular books. Every subsequent number drops precipitously. The longer those numbers run, the lower and lower those print runs become. Also, I want to make sure we’re clear about what’s in that book. That’s why the title’s more important. I’d like someone to pick it up for the reading experience rather than straight numbering.”
DC to Publish Fewer Young Reader Original Graphic Novels, But Market Them Better
Quote:
“I’m happy to say that we’re very comfortable with what we’ve seen from the young [reader] line. We had two breakout hits: Diana, Princess of the Amazons and Teen Titans: Raven performed very strongly for us. The good part about [ Raven] is there are two more volumes. We are making one slight tweak to our delivery of this material. We’ve been putting out three a month, we’ll probably bring that number down by the middle of the year to two a month. I think we need a little more breathing space, more time to promote and market these books properly.”
DC Comics Introducing A Periodical Dollar Comic?
Quote:
“The dollar books have the purpose of being promotional material for some of the key trades that are going to be coming out, or key events. I also know these are great entry points. We’re toying with the idea of maybe doing a reprint program of a dollar book on a series per month, but want to hear some feedback on that if there is real interest or not. In speaking to retailers, we’ve heard they’re using the dollar books as an entry point to get people into buying on a periodical basis, but if they don’t come out periodically, all we’re doing is one-offs. Maybe creating a periodical dollar book is one way to start that buying pattern again. It’s an idea.”
Quote:
“We’ll make sure we continue to push those [facsimile comics] out. We’ll make sure we have exciting ads from the past on those things reprinted in a way that makes them highly collectible and interesting. We’ll make sure we curate a smart list of really intriguing, hard-to-find or unique books. Not just to fill a bucket, but to have a purpose behind them.”
Quote:
“Another way we’re looking at as an entry point for new readers. One of the things I’m looking at with the Giants is going further back in the catalogue. We still have a lot of material that have easy entry and standalone stories. The purpose behind each of the Giants is very clear-it’s our key franchises, key characters, characters that are tied into movies or other initiatives that might create general interest, for people that want to be able to pick something up at a low price and get a good reading experience.”
“Half-Truths And Misinformation Floating Around” – Dan DiDio on 5G?
Quote:
“There are a lot of half-truths and misinformation floating around about some of our plans. I appreciate people wanting to be excited and in the know about what’s going on. The first people who will find out once we’re ready to announce will be you, the retailers. We are looking at ways to create noticeable and exciting tentpoles and events and moments in our line. I’m not talking about creating an endless run of events-I’m talking about spots we can identify in our line that can really help pull things together, and doing it on a quarterly basis, so we can create a rhythm within our storytelling that keeps people excited about what we’re doing. I always feel story and character should be the lead for anything we do.”
Old 01-11-2020, 04:52 PM   #1561
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Old 01-15-2020, 01:05 AM   #1562
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Old 01-17-2020, 04:51 PM   #1563
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

DC Comics APRIL 2020 Solicitations
Old 01-17-2020, 05:14 PM   #1564
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Ooooh, Joker is going to have a Sienkiewicz variant. Can't wait.
Old 01-19-2020, 01:52 AM   #1565
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Quote:
A few thoughts:
  • I wonder if any non-Batman characters will get some of these anniversary specials.
  • I am very excited for that Brubaker/Stewart Catwoman story.
  • Joker War? Meh, we just had the "War of Jokes and Riddles" not too long ago.
  • With Joelle Jones leaving Catwoman, I hope she ends up on a non-batcharacter book, spread the wealth around.
  • So back in October it was announced that G. Willow Wilson and Nick Robles would be taking over The Dreaming with issue #19. Come April issue #20 will still have the previous creative team and is the final issue. Hopefully they'll just be relaunching it with a new #1.
  • Hope The Batman's Grave not being in the solicits just means it's just skipping a month rather than it being a sign of longer delays.
  • This was pointed out to me recently, the Wonder Woman book will have had 4 different art teams in 6 issues come April. I don't believe the book has had the same art team do 3 issues in a row since 2017.
  • Covers I like:

Old 01-19-2020, 07:00 AM   #1566
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Quote:
A few thoughts:
  • I wonder if any non-Batman characters will get some of these anniversary specials.
The trend started with Action Comics #1000. Wonder Woman #750 ships on Wednesday, with Flash #750 not far behind. They will continue these on the backs of completists getting every cover of every issue of the books they like - until those backs break.
Old 02-14-2020, 12:49 PM   #1567
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Quote:
The path to DC’s future continues to unfold in Generation One: Age of Mysteries! On sale in May, Generation One: Age of Mysteries is the first of five oversized Prestige format one-shots, each detailing a different age in DC’s storied, super heroic legacy!

Generation One: Age of Mysteries follows DC’s Generation Zero: Gods Among Us, in stores on Free Comic Book Day 2020.

“The Generation series of specials are built to bring the new DC timeline to life,” said DC Publisher Dan DiDio. “With Generation One: Age of Mysteries and every subsequent volume we’ll be shining a spotlight on the 80-plus-year publishing history of the DC universe while charting the course for the bright future of DC’s characters. All of our greatest stories and events will create the backdrop and context for the great new adventures we have planned. Everything counts, and we guarantee there’ll be surprises along the way!”

Readers of Generation One: Age of Mysteries will witness firsthand major events from throughout the history of the DC universe as seen through the eyes of characters like Wonder Woman, Lucius Fox, Alfred Pennyworth, Green Lantern (Alan Scott), The Spectre (Jim Corrigan), Mister Terrific (Terry Sloane), and others. The series of one-shots will also expose secrets from DC’s history, such as:
  • What was the previously undocumented “big bang” of the Age of Mysteries?
  • Which character truly ushers in the dawn of Super Heroes, inspiring all the rest?
  • What was the real reason behind the Justice Society of America’s retirement?
  • Which Golden Age hero will become history’s greatest villain?
  • What contentious alliance kept the Wayne family dynasty alive after Thomas and Martha’s deaths?
  • Who are the new, never-seen-before wildcards that will be instrumental in fashioning DC’s push to the future?
These five books will have all the answers to these questions, setting up DC’s boldest storylines ever while laying the groundwork for more excitement to come. The five Generation issues will feature a who’s who of creative talent, with an overarching story by Brian Michael Bendis, Dan Jurgens, Andy Schmidt, Robert Venditti, and Joshua Williamson, illustrated by artists including Doug Mahnke, Bryan Hitch, Mikel Janín, Ivan Reis, David Marquez, and more.

Generation One: Age of Mysteries is scripted by Andy Schmidt, with lead art by Doug Mahnke. Each of DC’s Generation one-shots will feature a cover by Jim Cheung and a variant cover by Gary Frank. Generation Two: Age of the Metahuman, Generation Three: Age of Crisis, Generation Four: Age of Rebirth and Generation Five: Age of Tomorrow will follow monthly after Generation One: Age of Mysteries.

Generation One: Age of Mysteries is a 48-page, Prestige format one-shot on sale at comic book stores and participating online retailers on May 27, 2020.
Old 02-14-2020, 03:54 PM   #1568
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Quote:
A few thoughts:
https://screenrant.com/green-lantern...rsary-special/

Quote:
Since the first Green Lantern was introduced in All-American Comics #16 in May 1940 by artist Martin Nodell and writer Bill Finger, the Green Lanterns have been fan-favorite characters with millions of comic book fans. From that first ring-wielding Lantern to the latest, and every strong-willed Super Hero in-between, many have spoken the Green Lantern oath and pledged to defend their home sector from evils of every nature. Now, in 2020, this corps of extraterrestrial space police built up from all alien races and places are celebrating 80 years of keeping the DC universe safe!

The celebration is set to feature eight different variant covers, as well as an incredible cover from Liam Sharp featuring all the Green Lanterns on a single page. Here's the lineup of variant cover artists and the decade they will cover.

1940’s variant cover by Nicola Scott
1950’s variant cover by Matt Taylor
1960’s variant cover by Doug Mahnke
1970’s variant cover by Neal Adams
1980’s variant cover by David Finch
1990’s variant cover by Philip Tan
2000’s variant cover by Ivan Reis and Oclair Albert
2010’s variant cover by Jim Lee and Scott Williams
Old 02-15-2020, 12:04 AM   #1569
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

I gotta be honest: I am not especially thrilled by Death Metal Superman.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:33 PM   #1570
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

DC Comics MAY 2020 Solicitations
Old 02-25-2020, 01:56 AM   #1571
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 02-29-2020, 05:15 PM   #1572
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Quote:
  • Dark Nights: Death Metal sure is a mouthful, honestly I'm not too enthused for this series, Death Metal while fun was a bit too whacky for my tastes and this entire Perpetua storyline has felt dragged out for a while now.
  • Soliciting Generation One with no creators credited does not fill me with confidence. Having to read the press release to find out Andy Schmidt, whose last work as a comic book writer came in 2010 fills me with even less confidence.
  • The fact that Dan Mora hasn't gotten interior work at DC yet vexes me.
  • Happy to see the anniversary specials expand beyond Batman characters, love the Sharp and Scott covers.
  • Hopefully Punchline mania dies off after Batman #94. The fact that half her face appearing in a single panel in Batman #89 was enough to cause people to try and flips issues on ebay for $100 is peak dumbassery.
  • Though I was dubious on Tynion's Batman to begin with I'm enjoying it a bit more than King's run at the moment. Tynion's Batman/Catwoman relationship has a bit more of an adversarial streak to it than King's did, which I think suits it better.
  • Feel like the Man-Bat miniseries is a weird choice.
  • Have absolutely no interest in a series by SGM where he's writing only.
  • Very happy that I'm getting my wish of Robbie Thompson taking over Teen Titans.
  • The cover for Batman by Grant Morrison Omnibus Volume 3 is good enough that it almost makes me want to double dip on the series.
  • Very happy to see Matt Wagner's Batman stuff getting recollected.
  • Cancelling Supergirl to me is a little weird since there's like 10+ DC books selling less than it.
  • Covers I like:

Old 02-29-2020, 05:51 PM   #1573
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Quote:
Hopefully Punchline mania dies off after Batman #94. The fact that half her face appearing in a single panel in Batman #89 was enough to cause people to try and flips issues on ebay for $100 is peak dumbassery.
Hey man, I got bills to pay, and my copy's starting bid is at the low, low price of $150. Once the character takes off, new comic readers will remember how they scored a mint copy of her first half-appearance from me. You're just jealous.
Old 02-29-2020, 07:49 PM   #1574
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I'm looking forward to that Adam strange mini series, but I'm going to wait and buy it once when they do one hardcover for all 12 issues.
Old 03-01-2020, 06:22 AM   #1575
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Unhappy

Quote:
  • Feel like the Man-Bat miniseries is a weird choice.
  • Have absolutely no interest in a series by SGM where he's writing only.
  • Cancelling Supergirl to me is a little weird since there's like 10+ DC books selling less than it.
1. They've been trying to turn Man-Bat into a protagonist since at least Justice League Dark. I expect him to be in Suicide Squad soon.

2. SGM?

3. This isn't a "Supergirl doesn't sell" cancelation. This is paving the way for a new series for sure.