Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you feel about the new Alan Scott being gay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rotten2thecorps View Post
    I agree. To be honest I kinda thought it was going to come out that Kyle was bi sexual. He always seemed verry open minded to me. Wich is great for somone who spend time is space and meets people with alien cultures and views. It gives him a level of sesitivty.
    If it was going to happen, it would have happened during Judd Winick's run. I'm sure he considers it a missed opportunity.

Comment

Not happy I do not read Alan anymore. You dont change characters like that. I also dont like how they make characters black it is very strange to me and it changes alot about the character. Lets see them make BLACK PANTHER white or POWERMAN. Why not just make a whole new Gay Green Lantern or a whole new Black Flash Im all for that just dont like my characters changed so drastically.

Comment

Originally posted by TEN_RINGS View Post
        Not happy I do not read Alan anymore. You dont change characters like that. I also dont like how they make characters black it is very strange to me and it changes alot about the character. Lets see them make BLACK PANTHER white or POWERMAN. Why not just make a whole new Gay Green Lantern or a whole new Black Flash Im all for that just dont like my characters changed so drastically.
        If it makes you feel better it's not the real Alan Scott anyway. The Alan in the Earth 2 52 title has as much relation to the Alan of the original Earth 2 and the JSA than the Power Ring of Earth 3 does to Hal Jordan of the current Earth.

If I had my way as an editor, I would have used the same super hero personas for this E2 title, but had the writer come up with all new secret IDs for them. The same way the silver age Hal, Barry, Carter and Ray were the secret IDs for the same roles Alan, Jay, Carter and Al were on another Earth in the golden age.

Comment

I agree. To be honest I kinda thought it was going to come out that Kyle was bi sexual. He always seemed verry open minded to me. Wich is great for somone who spend time is space and meets people with alien cultures and views. It gives him a level of sesitivty.
          I don't know that open minded means you're gay or bi-sexual. It just means you're someone who's not homophobic and are living in 2015.

Comment

Kyle walked a thin line between Gay and Metro sexual. Imean it is sad when he cried more over Guys death then finding his Girlfriend mutalated in a fridge.
            Take life with a Grain of salt and a shot of tequila!

Comment

:Moderator:

Kyle walked a thin line between Gay and Metro sexual. Imean it is sad when he cried more over Guys death then finding his Girlfriend mutalated in a fridge.
              Bros before hoes man.
              sigpic
              Winner: Reality TV draft 2014

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman

Comment

Catwoman Is Bisexual

You heard it. DC Comics’ Catwoman is bisexual. While previously there’d been a great deal of speculation within fan circles about Selina Kyle’s possibly binary-indiscriminate sexual preferences, the rumors had never been verified in the actual Catwoman canon. In this week’s No. 39, however, Kyle kisses another woman. While this might sound more representative of the “Q” portion of “LGBTQ” than the “B” portion, Genevieve Valentine, the writer who took over The New 52 series of the comic last October (and who’s written for Flavorwire), confirmed on her blog:

When I was first plotting out what I expected to be a six-issue arc, there were a few emotional beats I considered indispensable… One was establishing Selina as canon bisexual. She’s flirted around it – often quite literally – for years now; for me, this wasn’t a revelation so much as a confirmation.
                Of Eiko, a relatively new character who’s the recipient of the kiss, Valentine stated:

Eiko seemed like the right person: intelligent, driven, in that uncanny valley of Almost Catwoman, and knows enough about Selina that their honesty has become something of a shelter in a situation that’s getting increasingly dishonest for everybody involved.
                Thankfully, it really seems like Catwoman isn’t just testing the waters, and that this albeit newly-proclaimed part of her identity is, indeed, a real part (as opposed to the queer and/or straight-male-baiting digression it could be). Valentine adds:

Was it a surprise for them? In terms of their sexualities, not particularly; certainly it’s no surprise to Selina that she has an attraction to a woman.
                Here’s that ballyhooed kiss:
                I know they have skirted around the possibility if her being Bi, at least in the New52, but I have two questions about this.

First : Are you all equally annoyed about this change as much as you are about Alan? Why or Why not?

Second: This again proves the point in my earlier comments. Why the fuck is this necessary? Why do we need whole "news" (yes I'm aware that Flavorwire barely counts as news) story about this? And just like with other changed characters it will probably never be touched on again.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna look at all the comments from straight men that were all up in arms about a gay man in comics be completely okay with this because it's two women now. And yes I know it's not just having a gay character that made people all pissy about Alan but it was the fact that they changed an already established character.
                I LOVE conspiracy theorists. They are like human versions of the cymbal clapping, dancing monkeys. No one takes them all that seriously and they get bored with them after about 10 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Lantern A-train View Post
                  Catwoman Is Bisexual

I know they have skirted around the possibility if her being Bi, at least in the New52, but I have two questions about this.

First : Are you all equally annoyed about this change as much as you are about Alan? Why or Why not?

Second: This again proves the point in my earlier comments. Why the fuck is this necessary? Why do we need whole "news" (yes I'm aware that Flavorwire barely counts as news) story about this? And just like with other changed characters it will probably never be touched on again.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna look at all the comments from straight men that were all up in arms about a gay man in comics be completely okay with this because it's two women now. And yes I know it's not just having a gay character that made people all pissy about Alan but it was the fact that they changed an already established character.
                  Well yeah. I mean, you seem to be looking to knock people for treating the two situations differently, while at the same time acknowledging the fact that the two situations...are different.

Now I'm not going to say that some people wouldn't have been up in arms if the original Alan had been revealed to be bisexual, instead of being erased entirely and replaced with a new gay version. No doubt some would have. Maybe almost as many, I don't know. And if that was the situation, you'd be totally justified in making the comparison and pointing out the double standard.

But as it stands, this is not really an analogous situation. Heck, I get the feeling that even the above hypothetical wouldn't TRULY be analogous, since Alan had a long history in which he never gave a hint of any same sex attraction. I don't read Catwoman, but the article seems to imply that there was already speculation with her, and this just took the step of making it canon. Still it would have been, IMHO, close enough of a situation to better make the point. (And I do get your point.)

And yes, I'm not clear why this needs to be trumpeted, though at least it didn't hit major media outlets or anything, so far as I know. That's something, right?

Comment

Yeah I see and get what you are saying as well. I have a habit, don't know if it's good or bad lol) for arguing both side of something in my head and in debates. I do try to look at all sides of things though that may make me come across as fickle or playing both sides.

Also I might add I have yet to see anyone say that this was just done for shock value...yet

Yes let's be thankful it hasn't been a huge media fanfare
                    I LOVE conspiracy theorists. They are like human versions of the cymbal clapping, dancing monkeys. No one takes them all that seriously and they get bored with them after about 10 minutes.

Comment

Also I might add I have yet to see anyone say that this was just done for shock value...yet
                      THIS WAS JUST DONE FOR SHOCK VALUE!!!!!!!!

(Didn't want to leave you hanging.)

Comment

Comment

Yo.

I have a better question: wats the "q" in lgbtq stand for?!??

Tazer

Originally posted by Andrew NDB
                          Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

Queer or Questioning.

Comment

Queer or Questioning.
                              I've never been clear on exactly what "Queer" means. Last I heard it was just another way of saying "gay", one that was frequently used derogatorily, but seemed like it had been sort of redeemed by the gay community as a self-referential term (like how "geek" and "nerd" were largely derogatory, but are now adopted by many people with a sort of pride).

I'm assuming, though, from its inclusion in the (IMHO, increasingly long and awkward) acronym, that its accepted meaning is now distinct?

Comment

Catwoman Is BisexualFirst : Are you all equally annoyed about this change as much as you are about Alan? Why or Why not?
                                Not annoyed but that's because I already thought she was bisexual.

Comment

Working...
                                X