or ewe sirius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Cormier View Post
It that the Tom Tyler one?
Yep! Very Good!
Old 04-13-2011, 11:45 PM   #28
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I liked that one the best. It had the two guys trying to get money for their research and was pretty funny. I like the Chaney movies...well, because of Chaney, but this one had more heart in it. Plus it had the Big Red Cheese!
Old 04-13-2011, 11:47 PM   #29
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

And your thoughts on King Kong?
Old 04-14-2011, 12:00 AM   #30
Abin Surly
or ewe sirius

Quote:
And your thoughts on King Kong?
Hooked me on stop-action animation...I'm an O'Brien (and therefore, also a Harryhausen) junky...lol

I've probably watched way too many documentaries on the making of, always been completely appalled by the DeLaurentis version, have bought magazines just because there were discussions about the "lost spider-pit sequence" and have seen "The Most Dangerous Game", mainly because they shot it in tandem with Kong.

Speaking of O'Brien, were y'all aware of this bit if oddness:

Old 04-14-2011, 01:20 AM   #31
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abin Surly View Post

Can anyone "name that Mummy"?
Tyler.

And so begins Moose's entrance into a thread that I will enjoy immensely.

When I was a kid, I watched Creature Double Feature religiously. It's funny how (when I discovered VHS later) that they never showed the Karloff Mummy. Maybe because it was really a love story in a sense and people just wanted the "there's the MONSTER!" gut reaction to film viewing. Dunno. But when I saw the original Mummy in my teens, it became a total winner. And now, you all got me thinking about running a Mummy marathon.....

In my humblest of opinions, I think one of the most underated gems of Universal's monster collection is The Creature Walks Among Us. I think the Creature was such a sorrowful, poor animal that just wanted to be left alone (maybe with a girl or two), and the last of the Creature movies really makes me empathize with his pathos, even more than Frankenstein's Monster.

There was actually a book written as a sequel to the Creature films which was very interesting....and without spoilers, it opened up the world of the Gillman exponentially.

I remember reading this a few years ago and enjoying it quite a lot.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:38 AM   #32
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
I think the Creature was such a sorrowful, poor animal that just wanted to be left alone (maybe with a girl or two)...

Who doesn't?
Old 04-14-2011, 03:10 AM   #33
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Hooked me on stop-action animation...I'm an O'Brien (and therefore, also a Harryhausen) junky...lol

I've probably watched way too many documentaries on the making of, always been completely appalled by the DeLaurentis version, have bought magazines just because there were discussions about the "lost spider-pit sequence" and have seen "The Most Dangerous Game", mainly because they shot it in tandem with Kong.

Speaking of O'Brien, were y'all aware of this bit if oddness:

Willis O'Brien did that? Cool! I've never seen that particular drawing before.

I love reading anything on Kong. I've got a few books. I think I'm the rare Kong fan in that I like all three versions of the film. The '76 version gets bashed a lot, and a lot of it is deserved. But for all its faults it got a lot RIGHT.

I guess I'd have to say the '33 version is my favorite, but I'm also in love with the '05 version.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:15 AM   #34
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

My beef with the Dracula movie's lack of score and sloppy editing is underscored by King Kong, which is pretty close in the time it came out (2 years apart), and has a MAGNIFICENT score. The editing is tight and the movie moves at an exciting pace. It was way ahead of its time.

Last edited by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker; 04-14-2011 at 03:19 AM.
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:21 AM   #35
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I STILL regret not buying the armature replica that sideshow made a few years ago.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:38 AM   #36
Void
Kyle's Nude Model

Hey all. Monster kid here as well.
I think you all can tell who my favorite is by my avatar, but anything by the Chaney's (Jr and Sr) would be a close second.

Never been a huge vampire fan, except maybe the Hammer films. But even then it was only for Ingrid Pitt

The past few years I've been going to a con here in L.A. called Monsterpalooza. Fantastic con with a gorgeous sculpture museum in it. Here's a couple pics from the first one they had in 2009.

Karloff in Jack Pierce's chair by Mike Hill:

And an awesome statue I wish I could afford at the Chaney Family's table:

Looking forward to talking monsters with you all.

-Joe
Old 04-14-2011, 05:51 AM   #37
Abin Surly
or ewe sirius

Quote:
Willis O'Brien did that? Cool! I've never seen that particular drawing before.
It was from a project that O'Brien worked on that would have been Frankenstein vs. Kong (???). I believe the project got sold off twice, ended up in Japan where it 'dual-morphed' into King Kong vs. Godzilla and Frankenstein Conquers the World.

Quote:
I guess I'd have to say the '33 version is my favorite, but I'm also in love with the '05 version.
on that; we'll have to talk about the DeLaurentis.

Quote:
My beef with the Dracula movie's lack of score and sloppy editing is underscored by King Kong, which is pretty close in the time it came out (2 years apart), and has a MAGNIFICENT score. The editing is tight and the movie moves at an exciting pace. It was way ahead of its time.
Max Steiner's score was just amazing...a lot of "lack of" in the previous years had so much to do with re-tooling the technology, 'the anchored' cameras, working out the synchronous sound thing, and such...and speaking about strange editing, I watched Whale's Frankenstein tonight...more on that later.

Quote:
I STILL regret not buying the armature replica that sideshow made a few years ago.
D'OH!!!
Old 04-14-2011, 06:08 AM   #38
Abin Surly
or ewe sirius

Well, my daughter and I watched Whale's Frankenstein as the second installment of our "conceptual continuity" film festival...(maybe I should rename it the 'Tragical History Tour').

I'm not sure my toddler was ready for the quick medium shot/close-up/extreme close-up of Pierce's makeup masterpiece (they do list this in 'family friendly halloween films'...hmmmm.)

Lots of thoughts on this, especially about comparing Browning and Whale, but I'm beat, so more tomorrow.

I'm glad Moose and Void have joined us.

Fantastic pics, Void! You should put 'em in one at a time to get that post count up.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:56 PM   #39
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
I think I'm the rare Kong fan in that I like all three versions of the film. The '76 version gets bashed a lot, and a lot of it is deserved. But for all its faults it got a lot RIGHT.

I went to the midnight premeir of the Jackson's Kong and nodded off during it. I haven't seen it since. That was a movie I thought suffered from poor pacing. I don't think it had any business being 3 hours and 7 minutes long (and that's the shorter theatrical release!).
On the plus side I do remember liking that he kept it period (that was briefly debated) and I seem to remember liking the scenes with Watts and the ape together.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:17 PM   #40
Abin Surly
or ewe sirius

If anyone has done any reading on this subject, please illuminate me....

I know that Laemmle's plan was that Lon Sr. was suppose to play Dracula but was replaced by Lugosi because of Chaney's untimely death. Is there a possiblity that Chaney was meant to play a dual role as Dracula AND van Helsing?

Had Chaney lived, that would have also made the casting in Frankenstein 'interesting'.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:29 PM   #41
Space Cop
The Dandy

I can't imagine they would've done dual casting. Do you have a reason to suspect so?

Love the pic, btw. That's pretty much how I dress when I go out.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:06 PM   #42
BLUELCMISHRA
Supreme Dalek Overlord

I am obsessed with creature from the black lagoon. which now that i think about it is 1954 and doesnt belong in this convo lol
My favorite flick from this era has to be white zombie, i saw it first when i was 16 and i watch it every year for halloween traditionally. Bella lagosi gave one of his best performances. it was one of the first zombie flicks and it is a masterpiece

BLUELCMISHRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:09 PM   #43
BLUELCMISHRA
Supreme Dalek Overlord

You guys ever watch the lost world?

BLUELCMISHRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:31 PM   #44
Abin Surly
or ewe sirius

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUELCMISHRA View Post
I am obsessed with creature from the black lagoon. which now that i think about it is 1954 and doesnt belong in this convo lol
I'll lobby for him...he was my favorite monster model.

Quote:
My favorite flick from this era has to be white zombie, i saw it first when i was 16 and i watch it every year for halloween traditionally. Bella lagosi gave one of his best performances. it was one of the first zombie flicks and it is a masterpiece
Great film...wonderful cinematography for the period...like a proto-Val Lewton film.

Quote:
You guys ever watch the lost world?
The Willis O'Brien silent one? YEP! But it's been awhile.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

If anyone's keeping track, tonight's feature will be "The Bride of Frankenstein", hopefully, while the first one's still fresh in my abnormal brain.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:55 PM   #45
Abin Surly
or ewe sirius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
I can't imagine they would've done dual casting. Do you have a reason to suspect so?
He was "The Man of a Thousand Faces" (which, I guess, means that Jack Pierce would have been out of the 'monster' jobs)...in London After Midnight, he played the Scotland Yard inspector AND the "vampire" (even though they are both the same 'person' in the film, one as a disguise). There was something about the 'blocking' I saw the other night...certain scenes where van Helsing and Dracula should have been in the same shot but were filmed seperately. There was also something about the way they had van Sloan made-up that reminded me of Chaney from one of his films.

It would have put an interesting spin on the film, even more so if he had lived to make Frankenstein. He could have played Henry, the Monster, Fritz, the Baron, Dr. Waldman and the burgomeister. (Okay, that's nonsense...lol)
But there is fan-art of what they thought Chaney's version of the creature might have looked like (pure conjecture).
http://img420.imageshack.us/i/chaney...qx0ge.jpg/sr=1

Just a theory...probably from seeing too many Peter Sellers movies. lol
Old 04-14-2011, 10:02 PM   #46
Abin Surly
or ewe sirius

Quote:
I went to the midnight premeir of the Jackson's Kong and nodded off during it. I haven't seen it since. That was a movie I thought suffered from poor pacing. I don't think it had any business being 3 hours and 7 minutes long (and that's the shorter theatrical release!).
On the plus side I do remember liking that he kept it period (that was briefly debated) and I seem to remember liking the scenes with Watts and the ape together.
You probably should have gone to an earlier showing...lol

I also liked that they kept it Depression era...and I don't think anyone else would have been better as Carl Denham than Jack Black...he was spot-on!

Did you happen to see any of the DVD extras on the remastered original. A lot of it was Jackson doing pre-production stuff for his version and making his team actually build armatures and do matte paintings to replicate how the original was done, mostly for shits-and-giggles, since their film was all CG stuff.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:32 PM   #47
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
I'll lobby for him...he was my favorite monster model.

I have that model as well.....plus quite a few of the figures they released for Universal Monsters a few years ago. I will have to dig them up and take pics.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:01 PM   #48
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
This is on my "to watch" list.

Have you ever seen I Walked with a Zombie (1943, Val Lewton-produced)? I liked that a lot.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:12 PM   #49
Abin Surly
or ewe sirius

Watched this last night. I've lost track how many times I've seen it. More on this one later.

Three down...#$%^* to go! LOL

Quote:
Have you ever seen I Walked with a Zombie (1943, Val Lewton-produced)? I liked that a lot.
I've seen most of his (Lewton) stuff, and just watched a very good Scorsese produced (and narrated) documentary, followed by Isle of the Dead.

I'll probably do a Lewton film festival after I finish my Classic Universal Monster festival.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:36 PM   #50
Void
Kyle's Nude Model

Quote:

[COLOR="Yellow"]Watched this last night. I've lost track how many times I've seen it. More on this one later.
My favorite monster film of all time. Soooooooo many layers to it.
My favorite little bit is having Elsa play Mary Shelley AND The Bride.