Post vol 2/Pre vol 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post vol 2/Pre vol 3

I've been reading the back issues of GL I've collected starting with the first run of Green Lantern Corps (201-224). I've read the 2 GL Specials and now moved onto GL vol 3. I'm not that interested in seeking out the Action Comics weekly stuff GL appeared in while not having their own book. However it seems a lot happened during that time considering there was only a few GLs.

I know Katma was killed, but I don't understand why John has a ring while standing at her grave at the beginning of GL Special #1. He sends it to seek Hal but then later in the comic Hal just has a ring. No explanation. Did he give it to John for a while? If so where/how was he when he didn't have it? I know John's ring was de-powered b/c Hal gives him it back later in the issue. Am I right to assume there was 1 ring between the 2 of them?

Also what other lanterns kept their rings? Guy and Ch'pp correct? I'm also not to sure on the details of John losing that whole planet. It only really explains that he's doubting himself at the start of vol 3. Thanks for any clarity you can give.

ECC
    Last edited by Guest; 03-17-2010, 12:52 AM.

IIRC, John got the spare ring from Hal in the special that dealt with appartheid (sp?). John had that ring from that point on.

After GLC #224, there were only four active GLs (forget Mogo because the writers did too): Hal, Guy, Ch'p, and G'Nort. John made it five when Hal got him a ring. That set up Hal, John, and Guy being the three GLs in the rotating cast in volume 3.

Comment

Thanks! Could you give the just of John letting that planet be destroyed?

ECC

Comment

That was in the Cosmic Odessey 4 part mini series that came out around that time, but before volume 3 started. It was originally planned that Hal would be the GL in that story, but they thankfully decided Hal was worth more as a character and it'd be a mistake to put his character through what the story called for. As it turned out, it was a mistake for ANY human GL that fans might care about. John's failure to save Xanshi from exploding hung over the character for YEARS. It would have been worse if it was Hal, but they shouldn't have bothered at all.

Comment

Another crap story involving the New Gods that never had the impact that something involving new GODS should.

Whoever decided to mix those characters with mainstream DC fucked up.

Comment

Yeah, that mini series was a waste of time. Not as bad as some "events" DC has done, but for GL fans it's definately a sore spot.

Comment

Thanks for clearing everything up guys.

ECC

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Naysay View Post
                Another crap story involving the New Gods that never had the impact that something involving new GODS should.

Whoever decided to mix those characters with mainstream DC fucked up.
                I figured you be fine just believing their the same as the god you belief in

Originally posted by Dave Cormier View Post
                Yeah, that mini series was a waste of time. Not as bad as some "events" DC has done, but for GL fans it's definately a sore spot.
                Actually before Cosmic Odyssey which admittedly the whole interaction between John and J'ohn was bullshit but before Xanshi John Stewart was a waste of space. Xanshi gave him the depth he so desperately needed.
                My Ketogenic Journey

Comment

Here's who I think kept their rings:

Hal, Guy, and Ch'p kept their rings at the end of GLC vol. 1 224.

John had his ring recharged during the Green Lantern Special 1 as well as Cosmic Odyssey.

Kilowog and G'Nort kept theirs during the Invasion! crossover (although I don't think they used theirs).

BTW, how did G'Nort kept his ring? I haven't read any of the JLI issues.

Comment

G'Nort wasn't on OA when the battery was taking rings back.

Neither was Lord Malvoilo, BTW.

Edit: The destruction of the Corps here differed from Emerald Twighlight. Here the CPB (under Sinestro's guidance) used snake-like tendrils to latch on to rings and drain them until they disappeared.
                    Gauntlet101010
                    Alpha-Lantern
                    Last edited by Gauntlet101010; 04-26-2010, 08:55 PM.

Comment

If I can recall, during the Invasion! crossover, only Hal and Guy used their power rings, while Kilowog and G'Nort were in their GL costumes, but I don't think they used their rings at all.

And I guess this is where GL continuity at the time gets inconsistent. Guy even made reference to it in GL Vol. 3 #25.

Comment

Continuity was tight at the time ... it's our memories that are kinda flawed.It's been a while since we read some of these books.

G'Nort never lost his ring. Not until Volume 3. I can't remember if Kilowog had his ring ... I don't think he did.

Back then, though, the GLs hung out in their uniforms even after they lost their rings.

Comment

no Kilowog didn't because Guy had to loan him his ring to rebuild the LA Green Lantern House that they wrecked in a friendly brawl! (The twist there being is that the last time they were in the same book together they hated each other's guts!)
                          Green Lantern Unlimited!

Comment

Working...
                          X