The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > General > General/About Us
FLASHCHAT

General

Old 11-10-2017, 02:49 PM   #1076
Space Cop
The Dandy

Another from Rolfe, but I'm not as conversant with Phantom as Dracula. Still, interesting.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:11 PM   #1077
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
but I'm not as conversant with Phantom as Dracula.
...You are now dead to me.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:39 PM   #1078
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Purple View Post
...You are now dead to me.
I didn't say I'm unfamiliar with it. Do you believe Phantom of the Opera superior to Browning's Dracula?
Old 11-10-2017, 11:51 PM   #1079
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

I'm mostly just fucking with you.

I have yet to see either of the 1931 Draculas, though the Phantom version I watched (which I guess is a color-tinted Eastman print, because it wasn't just black-and-white and had the masquerade in multicolor) was a damn good flick. I'd have to rewatch it to offer a stronger opinion because it's been too long since I've seen it.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:07 AM   #1080
Space Cop
The Dandy

Wait, wait, wait. You've never seen the Bela Lugosi Dracula? You really need to fix that.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:17 AM   #1081
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Stop nagging me, Space Mom. I'll get around to it.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:00 PM   #1082
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Man, that's a big one to not have seen!

To be honest though, the 1931 Dracula is one of my least favorite of the core Universal monster movies. I love Dracula himself, but the lack of a score on that movie makes it very dull to watch. I think Frankenstein and The Mummy are both far superior and were released around that time. The spanish one IS better. The cast is pretty good.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:19 PM   #1083
Space Cop
The Dandy

^I had to be told by someone that Dracula didn't have a score. I watched that movie maybe a dozen times before a friend pointed that out and I thought "oh, I guess it doesn't." It never bothered me. And personally while I feel a score can have a big effect on a movie, I don't think it's an indispensable component. Silence can be used very effectively.* To me Dracula is like a stepping stone between silent and sound and on that scale, it's a good one.

Frankenstein is definitely a better production, but I have a hard time thinking of Mummy as superior since it cribs so much from Dracula (basic plot, characterization, cast). It does, however, have great effects and the dramatic pacing is probably tighter.

But aside from any objective standard, I just enjoy Dracula more. The characters draw me in and are all acted superbly. Just by what I get a kick out of, I'd probably have to rank them Wolfman, Dracula, Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman, then Frankenstein or Bride (they are so close in quality in themes that I go back and forth). But, as I say, that's a subjective, not objective (if that's even possible) ranking.

*EDIT: I've been studying M (1931) for film club and I think score would have hurt the film. It works perfectly in the movie that the very few music bits are source music (two characters who whistles and one organ grinder).

Last edited by Space Cop; 11-17-2017 at 06:58 PM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 06:54 PM   #1084
Space Cop
The Dandy

Speaking of the Frankenstein movies, Rolfe's latest video (I guess this is a series of classic movie mysteries) tries to explain the continuity:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:08 PM   #1085
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

I'm making up my Christmas list, and it's gotten longer now than at any point in probably 10 years.

The reason? I've added on a bunch of the Universal "Complete Legacy Collection" volumes as suggested gifts. Seeing this vids from James makes me want them all even more.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:48 PM   #1086
Space Cop
The Dandy

^I have the Universal DVD sets from about 10 years ago and I'm good with that, but I might pick up some of those more recent one-offs BDs if I catch them cheap. The other stuff I do or don't have depending on availability. I love it.

As I used to say with Abin Surly, anything with Bela Lugosi interests me, even the crappy stuff.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:21 AM   #1087
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I used to have the green Uni sets that came out to support the Sommers Mummy movie. Those were great for having everything for each character in their set, no matter the duplication across sets. They only problem was there were plenty of flip discs which I despise. I waited years for a bluray set and gave up when Uni finally rereleased them in those black and white covered sets. I no sooner finished buying them all over again and, you guessed it, Uni started releasing the same package design on bluray.

I have already bought the series 3 times as I did it in the 90s on vhs. If I convert to bluray it would be the 4th time.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:12 PM   #1088
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
I used to have the green Uni sets that came out to support the Sommers Mummy movie. Those were great for having everything for each character in their set, no matter the duplication across sets. They only problem was there were plenty of flip discs which I despise. . .
Yeah, I'd prefer not to do flip discs either. At least they put the first title (Dracula, Frankenstein, etc) on a printed disc for each of them.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:13 AM   #1089
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Has anyone heard a possible street date for the bluray releases of The Complete Legacy Collection editions of The Invisible Man and The Creature From The Black Lagoon? They obviously are going to be 2018, making 2 per year for all 6 (as 2 came out in 2016 and 2 in 2017). I'm trying to find out when exactly in 2018 the last 2 are going to hit. I want to upgrade my CFTBL, and I don't own The Invisible Man at all in any format.