Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > General > General/About Us
FLASHCHAT

General

Old 10-12-2017, 09:45 PM   #951
Space Cop
The Dandy

The science of Star Trek shields:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:18 PM   #952
Space Cop
The Dandy

New 'Star Trek' Series Makes Massive Science Blunder

Spoilers, but of the set-up variety. The idea they're criticizing sounds dumb and non-Trek anyway.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:43 PM   #953
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

So the ship's drive is powered by magic mushrooms, and is faster than anything they had even in TNG? Yeah, I'm not regretting missing out on this.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:49 PM   #954
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
So the ship's drive is powered by magic mushrooms, and is faster than anything they had even in TNG? Yeah, I'm not regretting missing out on this.
I really don't know what they're thinking. That concept might sell in Farscape and could even be done well in the right setting, but it's so not Trek.
Old 10-31-2017, 03:36 PM   #955
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

They probably wanted to do something different. It doesn't sound so great on paper, I'll tell you that.
Old 10-31-2017, 04:53 PM   #956
Darth_Andrea
Owned by Natu

Send a message via MSN to Darth_Andrea

The "Spore Drive" was originally a concept that was part of a pitch for a Trek series based around a "Rescue" ship. Every ship in the fleet would have been given a stock of these special mushrooms which the Rescue Ship could use to jump to should the ship get in trouble and call for help.

Given how ludicrous the idea sounded I'm surprised it was kept. That series would have been placed timeline wise, post Star Trek Nemesis and would have made more sense in that setting. Post the Dominion War and a second major attempt to invade the federation by the Borg and the destruction of Romulas. A darker Starfleet, more on edge and more likely to shoot first ask questions later would have made much more sense than anything I have seen in Discovery so far ..

The show was aptly named .. because Star Trek Discovery is most definitely a STD ..

Darth_Andrea
Old 11-17-2017, 05:21 PM   #957
Space Cop
The Dandy

Found this by accident on Youtube but thought it was funny. At a convention, Marina Sirtis explains Deanna Troi's accent(s).

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:58 AM   #958
Space Cop
The Dandy

So, in honor of Jon Paul Steuer, I watched Alexander's first episode (ST:TNG's "Reunion"), which is a pretty good one.

Old 01-10-2018, 02:32 PM   #959
IonFan
Forum Member

+ YouTube Video

................................. i'm done with STD, nothing looks the way it's suppose to be, the tech isn't were it's suppose to be for the era, NOTHING IS WHAT IT SHOULD BE.................... so that being said even though i'm looking at it for free (illegally) I. AM. DONE.

also some of the new ships do look nice

IonFan says

Quote:
F**k the "Deep-State" and screw all the fake news, one year in and I still support our President one
Donald J. Trump
IonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 05:14 PM   #960
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Andrea View Post
A darker Starfleet, more on edge and more likely to shoot first ask questions later would have made much more sense than anything I have seen in Discovery so far ..
just had to repost this given the various events which occurred in the 1st episode from the 2nd half of the season; so, were U channeling *them*, or do we have spies....??

Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:02 PM   #961
Andrew NDB
Martini Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

Who watched the last episode?

Oh noes! It sure looks like the USS Defiant from TOS and ENT got Abrams-versed.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 04:39 PM   #962
Space Cop
The Dandy

We haven't discussed the news of Tarantino being attached to Star Trek 4, but in the mean time, this was kind of funny:

+ YouTube Video
Old 01-22-2018, 05:08 PM   #963
Mister Ed

I'll say this, if Tarantino makes a Star Trek movie that is anything like his usual movies, that'll be my cue stop bothering with nuTrek. I've enjoyed the movies they've made so far, even though they didn't really feel like the Star Trek I know and love, because at least they were fun SF action flicks. If we get a Star Trek movie that is rated R and feels like a Tarantino flick, then I'm done (which seems likely given that he reportedly REQUIRED that the film be rated-R if he was going to take the job...which tells me all I need to know about whether this film will be all about what Tarantino wants vs. what would make a good Trek story). I'll stick to getting my Trek fix from the novels.

Last edited by Mister Ed; 01-22-2018 at 05:27 PM.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 05:28 PM   #964
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I SO do NOT want this QT/Trek move to come into existence.

I like Star Trek, and I LOVE QT movies, but the two should NOT meet. I want to watch moves where Tarantino is doing his own thing, not playing in other people's sandboxes. He's going to piss off Star Trek fans for messing with their beloved franchise (rightfully pissed of course), and then I also get a movie that I'm not feeling good about being in my QT collection. Imagine doing a Quentin Tarantino marathon and having to pop in a Star Trek flick near the end of a spotless run?

Please let this project fall apart.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:04 PM   #965
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
I SO do NOT want this QT/Trek move to come into existence.

I like Star Trek, and I LOVE QT movies, but the two should NOT meet. I want to watch moves where Tarantino is doing his own thing, not playing in other people's sandboxes. . .
Ditto. I love both, but they're not a good fit. I remember Tarantino once saying that he'd love to do a comic book movie, but he only would do an original superhero story because he didn't want to deal with fanboy ire. That should be his attitude with space sci-fi.

Personally, I can't believe Paramount will ever allow an R-rated Trek. MGM has still not allowed an R-rated James Bond because of the youth market they'd lose and that franchise is about 100 times more naturally conducive to an R rating (especially if you read Fleming) than Trek is.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:40 PM   #966
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
Ditto. I love both, but they're not a good fit. I remember Tarantino once saying that he'd love to do a comic book movie, but he only would do an original superhero story because he didn't want to deal with fanboy ire. That should be his attitude with space sci-fi.

Personally, I can't believe Paramount will ever allow an R-rated Trek. MGM has still not allowed an R-rated James Bond because of the youth market they'd lose and that franchise is about 100 times more naturally conducive to an R rating (especially if you read Fleming) than Trek is.
Agreed 100%. Tarantino said he couldn't do a Flash movie for instance because fanboys would go ballistic over the things he didn't get right (rightly so, IMO). He'd be better off making up his own superhero that he could do anything he wanted with. I'm completely onboard with THAT.

I don't want to see beloved franchises being done in ways that defecate all over fans. I just saw that with The Last Jedi. No desire to see that happen to the Star Trek or Bond franchises.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:55 PM   #967
Andrew NDB
Martini Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
We haven't discussed the news of Tarantino being attached to Star Trek 4
What makes you think it would be Star Trek 4? It would be XIV... and for all we know it could be TNG-centric. And hell, for all we know it may not even happen now, all the heat that's on Tarantino.

Man, that season finale of Discovery was ghastly.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:39 PM   #968
Mister Ed

Last I read, it most certainly wasn't 4 that Tarantino would be doing. Supposedly plans are already underway for that one, and he would be doing something later.

And supposedly any Trek Tarantino does WILL be R-Rated, as a condition of him doing it at all, and this has already been agreed to by the studio. I'd like to THINK the articles I've read that insist this is the case are mistaken, but I'm not optimistic. I think the best case is that the whole deal falls apart before it gets very far.

Last edited by Mister Ed; 02-13-2018 at 06:44 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:50 PM   #969
Andrew NDB
Martini Master

Quote:
Last I read, it most certainly wasn't 4 that Tarantino would be doing. Supposedly plans are already underway for that one, and he would be doing something later.
I haven't read that at all. If you're referring to the "Chris Hemsworth meets Chris Pine!" movie, that was never a thing, just a FAKE thing to entice people to see Beyond (they didn't).

Everything I've read indicates Tarantino wants to jump into this as soon as he's done with his 70s movie.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:21 PM   #970
Mister Ed

Quote:
I haven't read that at all. If you're referring to the "Chris Hemsworth meets Chris Pine!" movie, that was never a thing, just a FAKE thing to entice people to see Beyond (they didn't).
Where did you read that was fake? The articles I've seen about Star Trek 4 already being in the works were from last June, and they mentioned that scenario as if it were a real thing (despite acknowledging that it was uncertain if that was still the plan).

The latest I read was from this January, and they referenced it again, talking to Chris Hemsworth about it, and he STILL gives the impression that he thought it was a real thing (though only a pitch, and not a full script).

I get the impression that that scenario is unlikely at this point, and there seem to be only vague references to a script for SOMETHING being in the works already, but I can't find anything that gives the idea that that pitch was just a fake.

Last edited by Mister Ed; 02-13-2018 at 07:26 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:26 PM   #971
Andrew NDB
Martini Master

Quote:
Where did you read that was fake? The articles I've seen about Star Trek 4 already being in the works were from last June, and they mentioned that scenario as if it were a real thing (despite acknowledging that it was uncertain if that was still the plan).
There's one:

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/chri...tar-trek-4-183

There was a pitch from Abrams with no script. And then "Star Trek Beyond" bombed and it's been 2 years and nothing has moved an inch on it... it's not hard to figure out it was never really a thing. Without Tarantino, there probably wouldn't have even been any movement on another Star Trek movie for years.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:32 PM   #972
Orion Pax
Iolande's Bodyguard

So, Starfleet is ok with basically Space! Hitler running around?
Old 02-13-2018, 07:40 PM   #973
Mister Ed

Quote:
There's one:

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/chri...tar-trek-4-183

There was a pitch from Abrams with no script. And then "Star Trek Beyond" bombed and it's been 2 years and nothing has moved an inch on it... it's not hard to figure out it was never really a thing. Without Tarantino, there probably wouldn't have even been any movement on another Star Trek movie for years.
If that's the case, I'd have rather let it die than give it to Tarantino (but obviously the studio has different considerations than I do).

It seems like we may have different ideas of what "not really a thing" means in this context (or at least one or more of us is failing to understand what the other thinks it means).

To me "not really a thing" means that it was never seriously proposed.

It sounded to me like you were saying that it WAS never even a serious proposal, just something that was cooked up to make people go see Beyond (and how does that work, anyway? Why would anybody go see a movie because of a pitch for a different movie?).

Everything I've read (including the article you just linked) makes it sound like it was a serious pitch that may have fallen by the wayside because of the poor reception of Beyond.

If you instead meant that it was "not really a thing" in the sense that it never made it to script stage, then yeah, it seems like that's the case.

Last edited by Mister Ed; 02-13-2018 at 07:54 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:55 PM   #974
Andrew NDB
Martini Master

Quote:
It seems like we may have different ideas of what "not really a thing" means in this context (or at least one or more of us is failing to understand what the other thinks it means).

To me "not really a thing" means that it was never seriously proposed.

It sounded to me like you were saying that it WAS never even a serious proposal, just something that was cooked up to make people go see Beyond (and how does that work, anyway? Why would anybody go see a movie because of a pitch for a different movie?).

Everything I've read makes it sound like it was a serious pitch that may have fallen by the wayside because of the poor reception of Beyond.

If you instead meant that it was "not really a thing" in the sense that it never made it to script stage, then yeah, it seems like that's the case.
"Not a thing," in the sense that it never went anywhere beyond a conversation and a pitch that may or may not have even been in an official capacity. It didn't get anywhere near even what could be considered "pre-production" and hasn't been touched in 2 years. If "Beyond" had done well it would've been fast-tracked for sure, which is probably what JJ and those clowns were banking on... but then it bombed.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:59 PM   #975
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Pax View Post
So, Starfleet is ok with basically Space! Hitler running around?
Is this a reference to Discovery? Is so, perhaps it is yet another reason why I can be content to be missing it entirely.