The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Sector 0
FLASHCHAT

Sector 0

Old 12-05-2020, 12:11 AM   #1
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Default Green Lantern by Geoffrey Thorne and Tom Raney Announced

Newsarama: New Teen Titans Academy and Green Lantern titles launch post-Future State along with Justice League Dark return
Quote:
Green Lantern will be written by Geoffrey Thorne and drawn by Tom Raney, who are the creative team of the main story 'The Last Lanterns' in the Future State: Green Lantern anthology, that happens to star Justice League team member John Stewart.
Geoffrey Thorne is one of the slew of television writers DC recently recruited.
Old 12-06-2020, 03:15 PM   #2
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Any word on what the cast will be for the new series?
Old 12-06-2020, 03:17 PM   #3
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

MY money is on Baz and Cruz getting another push, because diversity.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 03:23 PM   #4
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
MY money is on Baz and Cruz getting another push, because diversity.
If that's the case, I'm out. If the star isnt Hal, John or Guy I'm just done.
Old 12-06-2020, 03:27 PM   #5
mrumsey
Fatality's Blacksmith

I’m sure it will be John. The writer has publicly expressed hatred of and bias against Hal, and no interest in anyone but John.

mrumsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 03:33 PM   #6
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

The writer dislikes Hal Jordan? Another reason for me to just walk away. I'm tired of giving DC money they dont deserve.
Old 12-06-2020, 08:25 PM   #7
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

It looks like it will be a grizzled, older John Stewart. With no ring? And Salakk? Eh.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 11:18 PM   #8
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Going from television writer to comics writer is a strange progression. Sounds like he hasn't been getting a lot of work lately.

As far as getting a writer who dislikes Hal, I hope it's not true, but now that I think about it I'm not surprised. DC has pushed Hal hard for a long time and gotten little to show for it. If he had been put on Earth with a supporting cast, I bet the results would have been much better. But, as usual, they're going to blame a character for bad editorial decisions.

If John is really going to be a super-hero with no powers, the comic will crash and burn. DC has only ever been able to sell one character by that description.
Old 12-07-2020, 12:21 AM   #9
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I don't think having no powers will be a thing in the series. That sounds like it's just part of the 2 issue possible future we will never get to story for this speed bump event in January.
Old 12-07-2020, 06:25 AM   #10
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
Going from television writer to comics writer is a strange progression. Sounds like he hasn't been getting a lot of work lately.

As far as getting a writer who dislikes Hal, I hope it's not true, but now that I think about it I'm not surprised. DC has pushed Hal hard for a long time and gotten little to show for it. If he had been put on Earth with a supporting cast, I bet the results would have been much better..
The Morrison-Sharp run has gotten plenty of positive publicity. Granted S1 was superior to S2, but it sold well for DC. It's given us some of the most memorable Green Lantern imagery ever. But this run was designed to end, so the change was inevitable.
Old 12-07-2020, 09:58 AM   #11
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue Lantern View Post
The Morrison-Sharp run has gotten plenty of positive publicity. Granted S1 was superior to S2, but it sold well for DC. It's given us some of the most memorable Green Lantern imagery ever. But this run was designed to end, so the change was inevitable.
I've seen readers throw a lot of tomatoes at it, including some people who really, really want Hal to succeed. And we haven't seen the sales figures for a while. I bet they don't look so good now that the hype of having Grant Morrison writing Green Lantern has faded.

BTW, I've said for a while now that comic books should be written the way television shows are. So I'll be interested to see whether they're going to have these television writers do that, or require them to write in the established comic book format. If it's the latter, then there's not much point in bringing in television writers.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 12-07-2020 at 10:50 AM.
Old 12-07-2020, 11:53 AM   #12
jhpace1
Star Sapphire's Love Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
The writer dislikes Hal Jordan? Another reason for me to just walk away. I'm tired of giving DC money they dont deserve.
There's gotta be a way to have Hal in space, Kyle in space, Guy at Oa or Earth or both, and conveniently leave John in the JLA and Baz and Cruz for specials (forget the "Far Lantern" and the "Teen Lantern").

With an artist more "science" than the current "hippy look" for Oa/GLC. Without the reverse-writing, save-alternate-univereses plots. With cameos of the Color Corps. Maybe a one, two, or three-issue rotation? More space cops. Less X-files. You can cameo ancient one-shots (the Superman-like family), but don't overpower them.

And it's starting to look like the Gold Lantern in Legionnaries is starting to unravel (Brainac 5 has questions, the last two issues show no other Corps, this guy is like Kyle Rayner with non-Guardian Guardians on Oa).
jhpace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 03:15 PM   #13
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhpace1 View Post
There's gotta be a way to have Hal in space, Kyle in space, Guy at Oa or Earth or both, and conveniently leave John in the JLA and Baz and Cruz for specials (forget the "Far Lantern" and the "Teen Lantern").

With an artist more "science" than the current "hippy look" for Oa/GLC. Without the reverse-writing, save-alternate-univereses plots. With cameos of the Color Corps. Maybe a one, two, or three-issue rotation? More space cops. Less X-files. You can cameo ancient one-shots (the Superman-like family), but don't overpower them.

And it's starting to look like the Gold Lantern in Legionnaries is starting to unravel (Brainac 5 has questions, the last two issues show no other Corps, this guy is like Kyle Rayner with non-Guardian Guardians on Oa).
Put Kyle in Titans, and give him some strong co-stars instead of off-brand characters. I think the best place for John is Justice League, but we might not get that for a while. Put Hal on Earth and Guy in space. Get rid of the others.

Like I've said for a while now.
Old 12-07-2020, 03:57 PM   #14
Space Cop
The Dandy

Isn't Titans done? I could be way off on that.
Old 12-07-2020, 05:13 PM   #15
JohnMc
Weaponer of Qward

Green Lantern is pretty much dead to me now. All this time and they still haven't found a place for Guy and a new writer that seems to only focus on John [I like John, but I am concerned that they'll ruin the character by reverting him to his Anti-White, Angry Black Man days because that's how a bunch of sheltered writers "think" is how Black people behave]
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 10:51 PM   #16
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
Any word on what the cast will be for the new series?
DC Announces New Comic Talent and Titles At CCXP Worlds Brazil!
Quote:
In April, Future State: Green Lantern writer Geoffrey Thorne continues to uphold the oath of the Green Lantern Corps with a new Green Lantern ongoing series spotlighting John Stewart.
Old 12-08-2020, 04:27 AM   #17
G'nortDoggie88
Major Force's Dinner Date

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
Green Lantern is pretty much dead to me now. All this time and they still haven't found a place for Guy and a new writer that seems to only focus on John [I like John, but I am concerned that they'll ruin the character by reverting him to his Anti-White, Angry Black Man days because that's how a bunch of sheltered writers "think" is how Black people behave]
Good thing the writer himself is Black but do you.

Give 'em the evil look son!
G'nortDoggie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 04:49 AM   #18
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
Isn't Titans done? I could be way off on that.
Kyle was in the last 6 (IIRC) issues of Titans. It was a decent few issues, but he was there responding to the Titans' distress call. He wasn't part of the group per se, and he would have to be de-aged, which I guess is possible, to really fit in with the TT. I don't expect him to return unless there are plans to put him on the live-action show. The Titans new title will be called "Teen Titans Academy", and I've seen some artwork from upcoming issues, and it looks like their lineup is set for now.

Last edited by Big Blue Lantern; 12-08-2020 at 06:54 AM.
Big Blue Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 07:12 AM   #19
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

This kind of seems like the "Lost Army" sort of thing. A kind of palate cleanse before the next GL "direction" with big Corps stuff and all.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 02:19 PM   #20
JohnMc
Weaponer of Qward

Quote:
Originally Posted by G'nortDoggie88 View Post
Good thing the writer himself is Black but do you.
Which is why he's getting the ass pats on Social media. A writer said they hated John or Baz and Cruz with that much venom and their career would be over.

Instead we get a racist telling the rest of us that we're racist.

Last edited by JohnMc; 12-08-2020 at 02:37 PM.
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 07:50 AM   #21
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
Which is why he's getting the ass pats on Social media. A writer said they hated John or Baz and Cruz with that much venom and their career would be over.

Instead we get a racist telling the rest of us that we're racist.
Where have you seen that? I've seen quite a few GL fans bring up his past Tweets about Hal and questioned him about how he's going to write a character whom he hates. In fact, I've heard that he had to block some people because exchanges got heated.
Old 12-17-2020, 04:34 AM   #22
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Where have you seen that? I've seen quite a few GL fans bring up his past Tweets about Hal and questioned him about how he's going to write a character whom he hates. In fact, I've heard that he had to block some people because exchanges got heated.
did you really think people would not respond negatively? If you ask me i think he did this to set people off because all he could of said was john is the new focus. Saying i hate hal jordan wasnt needed and imo he was looking for controversy and its blatant. He fucked up. If the roles were reversed people will call it racist and get into this debate how everything is equal and people just need to shut up and accept it. Im a fan of john stewart but i dont need him to be the woke pc lantern where it makes hal jordan obsolete or erased because society is currently on a anti white people rage. I wont be surprised all the characters we love will be phased out and replaced to please the current pussy generation. If you dont want heat dont light the fire. And i blame gullible people who are to afraid to stand up and express there rational sane angry opinions. Ok well for starters roseanne and her monkey joke. Was it stupid ? Yes but i find it hypocritical you can be fired for saying someone looks like a monkey wich is a animal yet its ok to call someone a nazi who murdered millions or just because im white i have this amazing perfect white privilege wich is complete horseshit. Its ok keep being gullible

I'm not homophobic you are hetrophobic so thank you fuck you bye

Last edited by TazzMission; 12-17-2020 at 04:55 AM.
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 05:07 AM   #23
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazzMission View Post
did you really think people would not respond negatively? If you ask me i think he did this to set people off because all he could of said was john is the new focus. Saying i hate hal jordan wasnt needed and imo he was looking for controversy and its blatant. He fucked up. If the roles were reversed people will call it racist and get into this debate how everything is equal and people just need to shut up and accept it. Im a fan of john stewart but i dont need him to be the woke pc lantern where it makes hal jordan obsolete or erased because society is currently on a anti white people rage. I wont be surprised all the characters we love will be phased out and replaced to please the current pussy generation. If you dont want heat dont light the fire. And i blame gullible people who are to afraid to stand up and express there rational sane angry opinions. Ok well for starters roseanne and her monkey joke. Was it stupid ? Yes but i find it hypocritical you can be fired for saying someone looks like a monkey wich is a animal yet its ok to call someone a nazi who murdered millions or just because im white i have this amazing perfect white privilege wich is complete horseshit. Its ok keep being gullible
I really have no idea how you managed to turn my post into another meandering rant. The point that I was making is that Thorne wasn't getting a pass for any reason since his comments about Hal Jordan were both numerous and recent, as late as last year.
Old 12-17-2020, 04:28 PM   #24
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
I really have no idea how you managed to turn my post into another meandering rant. The point that I was making is that Thorne wasn't getting a pass for any reason since his comments about Hal Jordan were both numerous and recent, as late as last year.
In your original post you stated you have seen fans get blocked for having a heated exchange with him right? Sounds to me your blaming the fans and not the writer. Your defending it. Im not sure how active you are on twitter but fans aren't the only people who can be toxic.

I'm not homophobic you are hetrophobic so thank you fuck you bye

Last edited by TazzMission; 12-17-2020 at 04:30 PM.
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 04:42 PM   #25
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazzMission View Post
In your original post you stated you have seen fans get blocked for having a heated exchange with him right? Sounds to me your blaming the fans and not the writer. Your defending it. Im not sure how active you are on twitter but fans aren't the only people who can be toxic.
I don't think he is blaming the fans. He is countering the argument that the writer is just getting pats on the back on social media. He's pointing out that not only IS he getting negative attention, but it is negative enough that people are getting blocked.