No announcement yet.

Green Lantern Mosaic Now available!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They told Gerard Jones that Mosaic's sales were good but that it was being canceled because Kyle was going to be the only Lantern. Same thing for the Green Lantern Corps Quarterly. Both were books sacrificed to make Kyle special.

Mosaic was supposed to run for 24 issues but they ordered Jones to wrap it up early.

I think it should be brought back as an ongoing, but with normal art.
    Trey Strain
    Guardian of the Universe
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 04-01-2014, 02:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spy Smasher View Post
      I think it should be brought back as an ongoing, but with normal art.
      Please don't don't, not another Lantern book!

Comment

They told Gerard Jones that Mosaic's sales were good but that it was being canceled because Kyle was going to be the only Lantern. Same thing for the Green Lantern Corps Quarterly. Both were books sacrificed to make Kyle special.
        This is true of GLCQ, but not Mosaic. Mosaic was cancelled well before Kyle had even been created. When Mosaic was cancelled, Marz hadn't even been brought on to rewrite Emerald Twilight yet, so Kyle's "there can be only one" status would not have played a role.

Comment

Wasn't the GLCQ sales in the toilet, too? I've always thought that should've been a monthly book, with one story per issue. I think it would've done well that way, and could've continued past Kyle's introduction with historical GL tales (which they did in various miniseries throughout the Kyle era, anyway).
          The last fan of 1990s comics
          Read my Green Lantern blog The Indigo Tribe

Comment

I would've been game to any method of saving GLCQ. That was one of the series cancellations I was most depressed by.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
              This is true of GLCQ, but not Mosaic. Mosaic was cancelled well before Kyle had even been created. When Mosaic was cancelled, Marz hadn't even been brought on to rewrite Emerald Twilight yet, so Kyle's "there can be only one" status would not have played a role.
              Nope. It was decided that Hal was to be junked, and Jones agreed with that idea. He thought that Hal carried so much baggage from the past that he couldn't write Hal. Jones wrote a TERRIFIC script for Emerald Twilight that Kevin Dooley rejected on the grounds that it wasn't shocking enough. And Dooley made the very poor decision to fire Jones and bring in Marz to replace him.

Jones wanted Mosaic to run its course and argued with the higher-ups but lost the argument.

And it was stated in the GLCQ lettercol that the sales of comic were good but it was being canceled because of the new direction.

So Kyle has ALWAYS been a special snowflake.

Comment

Originally posted by SocializingMogo View Post
                Please don't don't, not another Lantern book!
                There should be five Lantern titles. Green Lantern, The Green Lantern Corps, Emerald Flame, Lantern Academy and Mosaic.

Comment

Better a "special snowflake" than beating the same generic drum for decades.

Comment

Originally posted by SD80MAC View Post
                    Better a "special snowflake" than beating the same generic drum for decades.
                    Let me have him and put him in Lantern Academy.

Comment

Nope. It was decided that Hal was to be junked, and Jones agreed with that idea. He thought that Hal carried so much baggage from the past that he couldn't write Hal. Jones wrote a TERRIFIC script for Emerald Twilight that Kevin Dooley rejected on the grounds that it wasn't shocking enough. And Dooley made the very poor decision to fire Jones and bring in Marz to replace him.

Jones wanted Mosaic to run its course and argued with the higher-ups but lost the argument.

And it was stated in the GLCQ lettercol that the sales of comic were good but it was being canceled because of the new direction.

So Kyle has ALWAYS been a special snowflake.
                      Like I said, you are correct about GLCQ. But Mosaic's cancellation pre-dated plans for Kyle. According to Cully Hamner, it was marked for cancellation when issue #5 came out, and they gave Jones a year to wrap it up. It ran June 1992-November 1993. ET didn't come out until January 1994, and as you correctly mention, it was a last minute change from Gerard Jones' script (so late, in fact, that the first issue of Jones' ET was actually solicited, and the title missed a month while the scrambled to replace it). There is NO WAY at all that Mosaic's cancellation had anything to do with Kyle, because it was cancelled WELL before Marz was even brought on to create Kyle.
                      Mister Ed
                      Horse of a Different Color
                      Last edited by Mister Ed; 04-01-2014, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Don;t make me find that interview with Gerard Jones.

Comment

Let me have him and put him in Lantern Academy.
                          I'd rather you put him in NYC.

Comment

Jones wrote a TERRIFIC script for Emerald Twilight that Kevin Dooley rejected on the grounds that it wasn't shocking enough.
                            I'm not sure about that. I read this piece about Gerard Jones' script: http://glcorps.dcuguide.com/curtain/gl-et.php

But I'm not entirely sure if it is the real deal. It looks more like a treatment that is nowhere near being finished.
                            Having read all of his vol. 3 run I can say for myself that I don't like his Hal at all. Emerald Dawn was okay (some parts were good, some absolutely terrible), the road back wasn't very good either. Instead of an interesting walkabout we got hobo Hal who cannot hold a job.
                            A Guy and his Gnort was entertaining in a trashy way but Mosaic (#14-17) wasn't very good either. The Mosaic series was definitely better.
                            #18 was crap, #19 was good, #20-24 started good but got stale very quick and ended weak. #25 was shit, #26-28 were better than expected, #29 was funny, the Flash crossover #30-31 was good (mostly because of Mark Waid I guess), #32-33 was bad, #34-35 were good, #36 was very good IMO, #37 was the worst piece of shit I read in a long time and I think most of the issues afterwards were crossovers or stories I don't remember anymore.
                            And don't forget the infamous #47 where Hal teams up with Oliver Queen, having seemlingy forgotten what happend to Coast City and not fitting into the grand scheme of the renewed Lantern title at all.

In my opinion it was his writing that caused the sales low and not the stale character of Hal itself. Don't forget that his vol 3 run was essentially a reboot, getting Hal and the guardians back and restarting the corps. Jones could have done anything with the character he wanted, but he didn't. He just wrote a whiny Hal that got on my nerves.
                            If you just write a synopsis of his stories most of them are probably fine, but the end product isn't. So no, I don't think his Emerald Twilight would have been significantly better than the one we got from Marz.

Comment

Don;t make me find that interview with Gerard Jones.
                              The timeline is clear. There is no possible way that Mosaic was cancelled because of plans for Kyle, because Marz's ET didn't exist at all when Mosiac was cancelled.

Here is a quote from Gerard Jones on the matter, though, if you don't believe me:

Mosaic was cancelled because it was so odd for the DC universe aesthetic. Paul Levitz and Mike Carlin felt it would inevitably lose sales, although I didn't feel the evidence was there for that. I think they also feared that it would make the whole GL universe more confusing for readers. The other comics were just victims of slow sales declines. The whole business was declining, DC was hitting hard times, the main GL series lost a lot of sales, no doubt at least partly because of my boring stories.
                              Here's a link to that interview:

http://www.fanzing.com/mag/fanzing39/iview.shtml

Here's the quote from Cully Hamner:

(A)s I was told at the time, it didn’t fit with DC editorial vision (whatever that means). Sales didn’t matter, fan support didn’t matter; the first issue sold about 210,000 copies and my last issue sold about 70,000, so there was plenty of support for the book. It was marked for cancellation when issue #5 came out, and they allowed Gerry Jones a year to wrap it up, but there was no doubt that it was being cancelled because somebody upstairs just didn’t care for it. So, I had a feeling after a while of creatively being against a brick wall, and got out before the end. You pay your money, you takes your chances. That’s the biz.
                              I'd link that article, but the link I found doesn't actually work.

So there is no doubt in my mind that Kyle's "one and only" status was responsible for the end of GLCQ, and Guy losing his yellow ring, and Alan Scott becoming Sentinel, etc. but Mosaic's cancellation is one thing for which it cannot be blamed.

Don't get me wrong, I have no doubt that Mosiac WOULD have been cancelled for that reason had it stuck around that long, but it had already been canned before Marz's ET even existed.
                              Mister Ed
                              Horse of a Different Color
                              Last edited by Mister Ed; 04-01-2014, 02:32 PM.

Comment

The last issue of Mosaic was in October 1993. The last issue of Green Lantern before Hal went crazy was #47, in November 1993. GL didn't publish in December 1993 because Marz was rewriting Emerald Twilight, and GL #48, the first issue of Emerald Twilight, was published in January 1994.

It was all coordinated. Mosaic was junked so that Kyle could be the special snowflake.

Comment

Working...
                                X