The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Corps/Emerald Warriors/John Stewart
FLASHCHAT

Green Lantern Corps

Old 04-18-2015, 02:50 PM   #1
sundrop
Fatality's Blacksmith

Question Action Comics #601 Aftermath

Ok so I just picked up a bunch of old comics at a convention, among which was Action Comics #601 and #602. Inside, Carol Ferris as Star Sapphire (older, bad edition) kills John Stewart's wife.

SO... what was the aftermath/fallout of this event?

Especially with Carol Ferris returning to be a Star Sapphire (newer, good edition) in Volume 4. Was this ever mentioned again? Was there a conflict between JS and CF?

Cuz if someone killed my wife it would be kinda important for the rest of all time.

sundrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 04:23 PM   #2
Space Cop
The Dandy

Yes and yes. And then it was downplayed.
Old 04-18-2015, 05:23 PM   #3
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

That was back when Carol literally became a different person when she was Star Sapphire, and often didn't even remember what she did as Star Sapphire. So yeah, JS was affected, and hated Star Sapphire, but when she became Carol again, I don't think they interacted much.

You'd think that seeing her as Star Sapphire again these days would be hard for him to deal with, except I'm not at all convinced that Star Sapphire killing Katma is even still in continuity. Heck, I'm not 100% convinced that John and Katma's marriage is still in continuity.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:29 AM   #4
Star-Lantern
Green Lantern

Track down Green Lantern Vol. 3 #22-24 for the continuation of that storyline:
http://www.comicvine.com/green-lante...st/4000-35442/
http://www.comicvine.com/green-lante...es/4000-35539/
http://www.comicvine.com/green-lante...on/4000-35647/

Once that was all wrapped up, writers never really revisited John's animosity for Star Sapphire, except for an issue of Mosaic in which John faced his darkest fears and revisited his worst moments, all within his own psyche.
Star-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 01:03 PM   #5
Space Cop
The Dandy

Good work. Those are the issues most directly related to your question, sundrop.

Hmm, this might make for a good book club entry.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:10 PM   #6
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I think it was wise of the editors and writers to sweep that bit of business under the rug. Nothing good was going to come of it. I wish they'd do the same for the Xanshi incident.

And Mister Ed brings up a good point. I sometimes think the creative teams don't KNOW if John and Katma being a couple in the past should still be continuity, so they just avoid it.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:25 PM   #7
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
That was back when Carol literally became a different person when she was Star Sapphire, and often didn't even remember what she did as Star Sapphire. So yeah, JS was affected, and hated Star Sapphire, but when she became Carol again, I don't think they interacted much.

You'd think that seeing her as Star Sapphire again these days would be hard for him to deal with, except I'm not at all convinced that Star Sapphire killing Katma is even still in continuity. Heck, I'm not 100% convinced that John and Katma's marriage is still in continuity.
I wonder if the writers even know about the history between John, Katma and Carol. For a while, John was paired up with Fatality, a Sapphire, which is from the same group that killed his wife. You'd think that just seeing Carol (although it was the gem that possessed her) and/or that uniform (even though it's been drastically altered over the years) would make him cringe. I'm convinced that the aforementioned is not in continuity anymore, and nobody cares to revisit it.

Last edited by Sylent_Asassin; 04-22-2015 at 09:49 PM.
Sylent_Asassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:57 PM   #8
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star-Lantern View Post
Track down Green Lantern Vol. 3 #22-24 for the continuation of that storyline:
http://www.comicvine.com/green-lante...st/4000-35442/
http://www.comicvine.com/green-lante...es/4000-35539/
http://www.comicvine.com/green-lante...on/4000-35647/

Once that was all wrapped up, writers never really revisited John's animosity for Star Sapphire, except for an issue of Mosaic in which John faced his darkest fears and revisited his worst moments, all within his own psyche.
werent these the issues where we found out that SS was preggers, which ended Johns bout of revenge, or was that earlier??

Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:05 PM   #9
Space Cop
The Dandy

So, #24 (which is the actual John vs. Carol issue) is the new Book Club Selection if anyone is interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazer View Post
werent these the issues where we found out that SS was preggers, which ended Johns bout of revenge, or was that earlier??
No. John stops because he realizes he can't kill and he and some others (including Hal) essentially will Carol out of Star Sapphire.

Last edited by Space Cop; 04-22-2015 at 10:09 PM.
Space Cop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:09 PM   #10
Star-Lantern
Green Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazer View Post
Yo.

Tazer
No. In those issues John Stewart and Hal Jordan use their rings to destroy Carol Ferris' Star Sapphire personality. He reasoned that since Carol didn't actually kill Katma, it wouldn't be right to kill her just to kill Star Sapphire.

I think the whole direction Green Lantern took with Kyle Rayner and so forth has a lot to do with why John and Carol's history isn't brought up anymore. For such a long period of time, Carol didn't play much of a role in Green Lantern at all, and the writers of that time moved John on to completely different stuff. The overall story had gone in a completely different direction, and by the time Carol had come back into the story more regularly, so much time had passed by that those Action Comics issues weren't on many people's minds. And Geoff Johns was concerned with restoring Hal Jordan and telling "Corps War" stories and not at all concerned with exploring John's past with Carol. So by now, another 10 years has passed with no allusion to Star Sapphire killing Katma, plus a rebooted universe. I'm not sure what the status of that whole situation is now. Someone should explore John's relationship with Katma Tui so we can see how it worked out in this continuity.

Last edited by Star-Lantern; 04-22-2015 at 10:13 PM.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:11 AM   #11
sundrop
Fatality's Blacksmith

Quote:
Someone should explore John's relationship with Katma Tui so we can see how it worked out in this continuity.
Does GL Corps #40 (New52) count?

But seriously, didn't she come back as a Black Lantern? Gotta admit this whole ordeal is a bit more obscure GL knowledge (being in Action Comics and all) but when Carol Ferris becomes a SS again in Vol4 would've been the perfect time for just a panel or two of John raising an eyebrow.

But, maybe the whole "serious-soldier" John makes sense now. He was so super-happy with "Kat-Lady". After losing a fine babe like that it kinda makes sense to become a glazed-eyed fighting machine.
sundrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 11:18 PM   #12
Star-Lantern
Green Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundrop View Post
Does GL Corps #40 (New52) count?
Well, it confirms that they knew each other.

Quote:
But seriously, didn't she come back as a Black Lantern? Gotta admit this whole ordeal is a bit more obscure GL knowledge (being in Action Comics and all) but when Carol Ferris becomes a SS again in Vol4 would've been the perfect time for just a panel or two of John raising an eyebrow.
Yeah, it would have been, but like I said, delving much into John's past just wasn't in Geoff Johns' agenda.

Quote:
But, maybe the whole "serious-soldier" John makes sense now. He was so super-happy with "Kat-Lady". After losing a fine babe like that it kinda makes sense to become a glazed-eyed fighting machine.
His life first started falling apart when Katma died.
Old 12-04-2015, 03:12 PM   #13
EmeraldGladiator
Manhunter Repairman

I wish DC would collect the GL parts of the Action comics run, though not that expensive, I prefer not to fill up a short box with books for three pages of GL stories, but I would like to see those stories. Anyway I will check the book club section for a breakdown on the GL Action Comics stories.
EmeraldGladiator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 03:58 PM   #14
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
I wish DC would collect the GL parts of the Action comics run, though not that expensive, I prefer not to fill up a short box with books for three pages of GL stories, but I would like to see those stories. Anyway I will check the book club section for a breakdown on the GL Action Comics stories.
Well, that run was not notable for its great GL stories. We had Hal go on Oprah and figure out that his ring had modified his brain to make him without fear. We also had one of my personal least favorites, the story where we learn that Clark Kent was the ring's first choice (he was only disqualified because the ring discovered he was not native to Sector 2814), and Hal was essentially tied with like 8 or 9 other guys for second choice, and only got the ring because Clark chose him.
Old 12-04-2015, 04:12 PM   #15
EmeraldGladiator
Manhunter Repairman

Default What about Lord Malvolio?

Quote:
Well, that run was not notable for its great GL stories. We had Hal go on Oprah and figure out that his ring had modified his brain to make him without fear. We also had one of my personal least favorites, the story where we learn that Clark Kent was the ring's first choice (he was only disqualified because the ring discovered he was not native to Sector 2814), and Hal was essentially tied with like 8 or 9 other guys for second choice, and only got the ring because Clark chose him.
What did you think of the Malvolio storyline? I thought looking at his costume design, was like a modified Alan Scott uniform and he might be to Hal Jordan, what Venom (Eddie Brock) was to Spiderman. That being said I never read the issues and only know about them because it was mentioned as a reason out of the Emerald Twilight storyline.
Old 12-04-2015, 04:20 PM   #16
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
What did you think of the Malvolio storyline? I thought looking at his costume design, was like a modified Alan Scott uniform and he might be to Hal Jordan, what Venom (Eddie Brock) was to Spiderman. That being said I never read the issues and only know about them because it was mentioned as a reason out of the Emerald Twilight storyline.
That was the best arc in the run.

Action also killed John's poor wife.
Old 12-04-2015, 04:22 PM   #17
Mister Ed

Quote:
The Malvolio storyline was the best part of the run, but even that is kind of ruined by the fact that it seemed like it was obviously setting up for something further (as well as the obvious similarities to Alan Scott's costume strongly implying some kind of hidden backstory/connection there) that never materialized.

There WAS a novel that established a connection between Malvolio and Alan Scott. It was OK (probably the best of the trilogy it was part of), but nothing really special.

Old 03-06-2016, 10:48 AM   #18
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
That was right up there with the ring choosing someone whose will was so "indomitable" that he drown his sorrows in booze and drove drunk. I'm wondering exactly what the ring's criteria was for selection at that time?
Old 05-03-2016, 09:12 PM   #19
G'nortDoggie88
Major Force's Dinner Date

I remember one story from that run where John Stewart got arrested in the DCU version of Apartheid South Africa because Hal Jordan took some diamonds from an abandoned mine. The story already didn't make sense and it just got more ridiculous from that part on. The worst part I remember was Stewart a man who was shown to be pretty socially conscious from time to time basically helping Hal restore power to the Apartheid regime. I couldn't believe that this story was written by Christopher Priest, the same guy who went on to write Black Panther.

Give 'em the evil look son!
G'nortDoggie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 06:11 AM   #20
Star-Lantern
Green Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by G'nortDoggie88 View Post
I remember one story from that run where John Stewart got arrested in the DCU version of Apartheid South Africa because Hal Jordan took some diamonds from an abandoned mine. The story already didn't make sense and it just got more ridiculous from that part on. The worst part I remember was Stewart a man who was shown to be pretty socially conscious from time to time basically helping Hal restore power to the Apartheid regime. I couldn't believe that this story was written by Christopher Priest, the same guy who went on to write Black Panther.
Ahh. That story began in Action Comics and culminated in Green Lantern Special #1. All of that junk was Priest trying to 'mature' Green Lantern in a post-Watchmen world. In my opinion, it just resulted in a bunch of terrible stories. I am also very surprised Christopher Priest wrote all that.

John Stewart had it really bad in the late '80s. First, there was losing his powers at the end of the GLC book. Then, there was all that stuff Chrisopher Priest put him through, from his wife dying, to suggesting that Hal Jordan steal diamonds, to getting arrested for a crime he didn't commit, to getting whipped in an African jail. Then, Cosmic Odyssey was right around the corner.

... Well, now that I think about it, the '90s weren't particularly great to him, either, with being put in a wheelchair twice by Ron Marz. At least we got Green Lantern: Mosaic. I believe that if it wasn't for the Justice League cartoon show, which arrived in 2001, and the totally surprising, near miraculous turn John Stewart had on it, the character very well may be dead right now with no plans of returning. He may have wound up just like Charlie Vicker.

Last edited by Star-Lantern; 05-04-2016 at 06:18 AM.
Old 05-04-2016, 01:00 PM   #21
Space Cop
The Dandy

I need to pull my Special #1. I forgot about that stuff.
Old 05-04-2016, 01:55 PM   #22
KilowogsDisciple
Green Lantern

Quote:
Ahh. That story began in Action Comics and culminated in Green Lantern Special #1. All of that junk was Priest trying to 'mature' Green Lantern in a post-Watchmen world. In my opinion, it just resulted in a bunch of terrible stories. I am also very surprised Christopher Priest wrote all that.

John Stewart had it really bad in the late '80s. First, there was losing his powers at the end of the GLC book. Then, there was all that stuff Chrisopher Priest put him through, from his wife dying, to suggesting that Hal Jordan steal diamonds, to getting arrested for a crime he didn't commit, to getting whipped in an African jail. Then, Cosmic Odyssey was right around the corner.

... Well, now that I think about it, the '90s weren't particularly great to him, either, with being put in a wheelchair twice by Ron Marz. At least we got Green Lantern: Mosaic. I believe that if it wasn't for the Justice League cartoon show, which arrived in 2001, and the totally surprising, near miraculous turn John Stewart had on it, the character very well may be dead right now with no plans of returning. He may have wound up just like Charlie Vicker.
Priest totally dicked up Captain America and the Falcon as well. I have to give credit where credit is due though, his Black Panther is the STANDARD imo.
KilowogsDisciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:07 AM   #23
Evergreen City
Corps Den Mother

Talking

You'd better pull Special #2 and Secret Origins 26? 36? (I forget) to get the scoop on the Gremlins. Some of the later Action Comics stories make no sense at all without knowing how and why fanboy Chip fits in. Also, there are a few stray guest appearances from this era (there's one in Superman? that shows Jordan out in Wyoming somewhere), and an elusive Prestige book containing an unpublished serial intended for the Action arc.

Katma did show up as a Black Lantern. It was never pursued well. Carol faked her own murder, by Stewart of course. How Katma's body got from an Earth grave to the GL burial vault on Oa was never explained. How both Carol and Hal came back to life literally and legally was never explained. Ah, but throw in Flicker and almost anything is possible.

Favorite scenes in the Action arc: Hal on a ledge. Hal locked inside a vault that has yellow paint on the inside. Hal squirming on Oprah. Hal and Arisia in a famous Chicago hotel room; he's sacked out, she's snacking and watching junk television. Oh, the Action arcs had their moments!

The power of will is found at the deepest level of your being. It's more than mere rules. It's a duty that you must honor.
Evergreen City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 01:16 PM   #24
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen City View Post
...Hal and Arisia in a famous Chicago hotel room; he's sacked out, she's snacking and watching junk television. Oh, the Action arcs had their moments!
My favorite part of The GL Action run is the Hal-Arisia relationship. That just barely got started in GLC, but the 'ship itself was in Action and I always liked them as a couple. Maybe it's the Trekkie in me dreaming of a girl with pointed ears. [For my own mental health, I'll go ahead and assume it's not the wonky age angle.]
Old 05-05-2016, 05:59 PM   #25
EmeraldGladiator
Manhunter Repairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
My favorite part of The GL Action run is the Hal-Arisia relationship. That just barely got started in GLC, but the 'ship itself was in Action and I always liked them as a couple. Maybe it's the Trekkie in me dreaming of a girl with pointed ears. [For my own mental health, I'll go ahead and assume it's not the wonky age angle.]
wow that might be enough to prompt me to pick it up after all these years. I love the Arisia/Hal relationship but wasn't really motivated to get those Action comics.