The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern: New Guardians/Kyle Rayner
FLASHCHAT

Kyle Rayner
View Poll Results: Rate The Omega Men #2
* 0 0%
** 0 0%
*** 1 33.33%
**** 1 33.33%
***** 1 33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-30-2015, 12:36 AM   #1
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Default The Omega Men #2 *Discussion/Spoilers*

The Omega Men #2 Preview
Writer: Tom King
Artist: Barnaby Bagenda

Old 07-01-2015, 01:59 PM   #2
jhpace1
Corpse Trainee

Zero stars.

I'm not reading this anymore, nor am I buying the comic. The premise is ridiculous, the situations untenable. It's like a throwback to the bad old days just before Rebirth when Kyle was "infiltrating" the Black Hole Gang without a power ring.

NO ONE is talking about what happened to the GLC, it's all this Great Big Secret that makes no sense. Hal Jordan has the last "green energy" in the form of Krona's Gauntlet, Kyle has nothing.

Artwork was similar to some no-name comic lines, like Black Science.

And since when does Kyle recite a Catholic prayer in Spanish? This whole "Alpha-Omega" storyline is trying to dive deep into religious territory, and DC has never done that well (see Animal Man/Starfire and Lady Styx).
jhpace1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 03:38 PM   #3
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhpace1 View Post
Artwork was similar to some no-name comic lines, like Black Science.
I haven't read issue #2 yet but is this suppose to be a negative? Because the art in Black Science is fantastic.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:29 PM   #4
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

I like the art but if Kyle becomes super Spanish guy again out of nowhere just so DC can make their line more diverse I'm done. His mother was religious and spoke in Gaelic and once in awhile he would... But I forget half the people who write the character don't know he's part Irish even with the last name Rayner....

~KL~
Old 07-01-2015, 05:27 PM   #5
Space Cop
The Dandy

So, you don't want him to start wearing a sombrero and poncho?
Old 07-01-2015, 09:41 PM   #6
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

It was insulting the very issue after the reveal his dad was Spanish in GL #150, the 80 Page Giant #3 I think had Jade making faces at him and calling him something in Spanish. You can't just make a character Spanish out of thin air. Okay, so his dad's Spanish... all of a sudden he's fluent in Spanish himself even though his dad wasn't around for 95% of his childhood? Do writers research anything anymore? Are editors getting paid to edit nothing?!?

It'd be like making the Thing, who's been Jewish quite awhile now, Italian and Catholic.

I mean, of ALL the things you could write with Kyle [being an artist, the last Lantern for some time, being a college drop-out, dead girlfriend issues, becoming Ion twice, mastering every ring, being a WL, being Parallax, etc...] they choose to go with the whole he's part Spanish angle?

~KL~
Old 07-01-2015, 10:00 PM   #7
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Well, part Mexican anyway. Same language, different country.

Unless they changed it so he IS part Spanish now. Wouldn't surprise me.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:03 AM   #8
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid Lantern View Post
It was insulting the very issue after the reveal his dad was Spanish in GL #150, the 80 Page Giant #3 I think had Jade making faces at him and calling him something in Spanish. You can't just make a character Spanish out of thin air. Okay, so his dad's Spanish... all of a sudden he's fluent in Spanish himself even though his dad wasn't around for 95% of his childhood? Do writers research anything anymore? Are editors getting paid to edit nothing?!?

It'd be like making the Thing, who's been Jewish quite awhile now, Italian and Catholic.

I mean, of ALL the things you could write with Kyle [being an artist, the last Lantern for some time, being a college drop-out, dead girlfriend issues, becoming Ion twice, mastering every ring, being a WL, being Parallax, etc...] they choose to go with the whole he's part Spanish angle?

~KL~
I'll tell you how that happened.

The original plan was for the Corps to return in GL #150, but not Hal. It was all set up in the Legacy hardcover starring Tom Kamalku. But Geoff threw a monkey wrench into it by arguing that Harold had to be part of the returning package, because after all, it's all about Harold. And he won out. The higher-ups gave him two years to come up with Rebirth, which really was just a laundry list of what HEAT wanted. So GL just treaded water for all that time.

Meanwhile, what special thing were they going to do for GL #150? Well, SOMEONE -- I believe Judd Winick -- came up with the idea to retcon Kyle's father as a Mexican. As if that were some sort of a big deal.

When the issue came out most people ridiculed it, and rightly so, but Winick came to the old DC message board and called the scoffers "a bunch of racists."

And that's the sad story about that.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 07-02-2015 at 01:17 AM.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 01:51 AM   #9
Space Cop
The Dandy

I don't know what the hell is going on in this series. I can't keep straight who is who (besides Kyle) and they all "talk funny."
Old 07-02-2015, 02:25 AM   #10
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
I don't know what the hell is going on in this series. I can't keep straight who is who (besides Kyle) and they all "talk funny."
Read it. Liked it.

So far the series seems pretty safe forward to me:
  • The Citadel is at war with the Omega Men
  • At some point prior to DC Sneak Peak: The Omega Men Kyle enters Citadel controlled space to broker a peace between the two groups. Since the Citadel doesn't allow Lanterns to operate in their territory he relinquished his ring upon entry. The Omega Men however take him hostage.
  • In DC Sneak Peak: The Omega Men The Omega Men broadcast their "execution" of Kyle.
  • In The Omega Men #1 the Citadel sends a death squad after the Omega Men. The Omega Men kill them before escaping with an obviously drugged Kyle.
  • In The Omega Men #2, the Citadel viceroy arrives on Ogyptu (the planet where the raid in the previous issue took place). Due to their military personnel being slaughtered in the previous issue the Citadel will kill a larger number of civilians as retribution. Meanwhile the Omega Men have implanted a bomb inside Kyle and tell him they have a plan to save the civilians in order to ensure his compliance. This turns out to be a lie however as they steal the viceroy's ship and escape instead, taking Kyle with them.

Really liked the last page in particular, thought the bit with the blood and the symbol was genius.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:33 AM   #11
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

That is really cool!

~KL~
Old 07-02-2015, 01:58 PM   #12
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypo View Post

The Citadel is at war with the Omega Men
And the Citadel also go by the name and/or worship "Alpha," right? The Citadel is also the more powerful group, I guess?

Quote:
In The Omega Men #1 the Citadel sends a death squad after the Omega Men. The Omega Men kill them before escaping with an obviously drugged Kyle.
This is one of those things I didn't get. I thought the Omega Men were on some kind of raid (since they seemed to be in a different place than where Kyle is) and those were guards.

Quote:
Really liked the last page in particular, thought the bit with the blood and the symbol was genius.
I liked that bit too.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:23 PM   #13
buffalorock
Manhunter Repairman

My interpretation about the "Alpha" and "Omega" is that Alpha is life and Omega is death. They seem to praise Alpha for good things and Omega seems to refer to death or closure. It seems to be more of a philosophical angle and more will probably be revealed. Maybe this is how Kyle is an Omega now because he "died".
buffalorock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 11:47 PM   #14
Noct
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorn Lantern View Post
bunch of racists.
Old 07-03-2015, 02:42 AM   #15
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
And the Citadel also go by the name and/or worship "Alpha," right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalorock View Post
My interpretation about the "Alpha" and "Omega" is that Alpha is life and Omega is death. They seem to praise Alpha for good things and Omega seems to refer to death or closure. It seems to be more of a philosophical angle and more will probably be revealed. Maybe this is how Kyle is an Omega now because he "died".
Alpha and Omega are deities in their religion. They were touched upon in the sneak peek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceCop
The Citadel is also the more powerful group, I guess?
Yea, The Citadel rules this region of space the Omega Men are rebels.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:59 AM   #16
Trigger
Hal's Understudy

I guess I can see people being bothered by Kyle's father being Hispanic back then... but there was never any hint at what ethnicity his father was until he was revealed. I don't really see the big deal about it.

What I DO find odd is that he is now speaking fluent Spanish. Since he never knew his father growing up and his mother isn't Hispanic, he should have no real reason to know Spanish.... unless he has some Hispanic relatives we are unaware of?
Old 07-05-2015, 03:47 AM   #17
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
I guess I can see people being bothered by Kyle's father being Hispanic back then... but there was never any hint at what ethnicity his father was until he was revealed. I don't really see the big deal about it.

What I DO find odd is that he is now speaking fluent Spanish. Since he never knew his father growing up and his mother isn't Hispanic, he should have no real reason to know Spanish.... unless he has some Hispanic relatives we are unaware of?
It didn't bother anybody. It was more like, WTF, DC? Do you really think it's a big deal that someone has a parent who is Mexican? People were making fun of that.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 05:07 AM   #18
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger View Post

His father was revealed to be Aaron Rayner in an annual or 80 Page Giant and was further developed in that Kyle's grandfather was a hunter with Buck Wargo and a Rayner himself.

I didn't mind much when his father was revealed as Gabriel Vasquez. But immediately after when Jade and Kyle were giving each other Spanish nicknames, and then Kyle later used his dad's last name Vasquez as an alias when going undercover in the Black Circle... it was a bit much. Now he's speaking fluent Spanish even though his dad left when Kyle was still young.

Still, one line of dialog would completely smooth things over.

"I learned Spanish and another language or two while I was living on Oa for that little bit..."

Still... that last page is killer. I hope Kyle goes back to being green and finds Hal out in space flying solo.

~KL~