Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tazer View Post
    Yo.

I'm curious: how close to her comic roots was movie- Cassie Cain??
    Renee Montoya talks to her, and she doesn't answer. For a few moments, they make it look like she's mute. And then she talks.

THAT'S IT.

Comment

Yo.

....is she the serious ass-kicker of the group, atleast?

Tazer

Originally posted by Andrew NDB
      Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

Yo.

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
        Nope. I heard (though I don't have the stats before me) that men were actually the larger and disproportionate audience, but that doesn't make for a good story, so who cares about facts?
        https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...pening-1277792

Box Office: 'Birds of Prey' Grounded With $33.3M Bow

-------

So far, Birds of Prey is skewing male (53 percent), according to leading exit polling service PostTrak. CinemaScore, which only surveyed a smattering of cinemas on Friday, showed a different result, with females making up 51 percent of its respondents.

Tazer

Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

....is she the serious ass-kicker of the group, atleast?
          Not even a little bit. I think she hands Harley a weapon of some sort at one point. She just picks pockets and needs Harley to protect her from everyone hunting her for the diamond she pick-pocketed.

Yo.

Birds of Prey Fans and Punisher Creator Gerry Conway Blame Film’s Poor Opening on Men and Misogyny

.....this has me rather pissed, and I kinda want to NOT see the movie just to spite him & ppl like him.
          :/
          How can that make one iota of sense if 53% of the audience was male?

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
            How can that make one iota of sense if 53% of the audience was male?
            Posttrak says 53% male, Cinemascore says 51% female. I can't find the ratio for Suicide Squad to compare those numbers with.

Comment

[COLOR="Yellow"]wait a minnit: I thought pg-13 meant nobody under 13yo could get in w/o an adult/ being supervised.....right?
              Nope, only the R rating carries that requirement.

G = General Audiences
              PG = Parental Guidance Suggested
              PG-13 = Parents Strongly Cautioned
              R = Restricted; No One Under 17 Permitted Without a Parent or Guardian.
              NC-17 = No One Under 17 Permitted.

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
              Yeah, there's a lot of that in my circles (Presbyterian), but less than I used to hear in the 80s and 90s. I don't mind anyone being careful about what they're watching or censoring their children, but it seems a bit silly to assume that the ratings system is somehow Biblical or godly as if there's nothing offensive until you get to 'R.'
              I agree, and the difference in rating systems from country to country is the perfect evidence of that. I like to point to A Few Good Men as a perfect example. It's rated R in the USA for language, because it says the F word dozens of times. Meanwhile, it's rated a mere PG in Canada, because there's only a bunch of F words in it, and nothing else particularly offensive. No sex, minimal violence, and a lot of talking... with F words. That's it.

My brother, to his merit, actually agrees that the rating system is inherently flawed, but it holds to the R rating being the general cut off point for him because he assumes there's probably more R rated movies that contain things he doesn't like (language, sex, nudity, excessive gore) than just what he's okay with (general bloody violence), and he's probably right. Of course, there are some movies I've told him he could watch and enjoy (like my favorite film, Kingdom of Heaven) that he still refuses to see because of the rating, but such as it is.
              Do good. Be well. Make happy.

Comment

Yo.

Originally posted by Michael Heide View Post
                Posttrak says 53% male, Cinemascore says 51% female. I can't find the ratio for Suicide Squad to compare those numbers with.
                https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...aturday-917863

Box Office: 'Suicide Squad' Opens to Big $133.7M But Drops Sharply Saturday

------

The biggest surprise in terms of audience makeup was the strong turnout among females, who made up 46 percent of Friday's audience, according to exit polling service CinemaScore. That's unusual for a superhero film. However, leading polling service PostTrak shows a different demo breakdown, with females making up 42 percent to 43 percent of the audience.

Tazer

Comment

Yo.

I was still feeling not-too-confident about this film, so I went & viewed it thru _other means_ (<.< >.> <.<)......and I only lasted 24:34 into it.

honestly, I wanted t see if the "funny, smart & sassy" -angle jibbed well with the whole R-rated dialogue w/drug use.....but it didn't really; I wasn't impressed, and the changes they made to the various characters involved in the story was the final 3 nails in its coffin (in regards to my willingness to soldier on to the films end.)

speaking honestly, I was never a big H.Q. -fan to begin with, but I wanted to give it a shot; however, seeing how certain decisions got made in regard to its development.....

Tazer
                  Tazer
                  That Evil, Yellow Bastiche
                  Last edited by Tazer; 02-18-2020, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Yo.

Like MH said, there's only a modicum of her comic roots. Perhaps I've missed an updated origin, but the original mute, assassin-in-training characterization was absent.
                    Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

Yeah, beyond Harley herself, pretty much every character except for maybe Huntress (who now dresses in... black garbage bags?) is destroyed in this. This Black Canary, Black Mask, Mr. Zsasz, Renee Montoya and Cassie all bear no resemblance to the actual characters.

Comment

The trailers seemed to indicate that Black Canary would at least be accurate to her New 52 backstory, which was never ideal, but still. If they don't even get that right, I might wait for digital to see this. She's the one I have the most fanboyish stake in. Of course, I'll still buy it, but as I've said before, that's just because it's DC. Can't be worse than Catwoman, right? Right?

Comment

Originally posted by Parrylakks View Post
                          The trailers seemed to indicate that Black Canary would at least be accurate to her New 52 backstory, which was never ideal, but still.
                          They don't really give her any backstory. She's just a singer for Black Mask who then becomes his driver. Her Canary Cry is never explained, nor the many times she could use it to help the situation but doesn't (she only uses it once in the movie).

Can't be worse than Catwoman, right? Right?
                          Depends on how you look at it. While sucking, Catwoman didn't damage any actual DC characters (Patience Philips and everyone else in there were all made up, just for the movie). Birds of Prey? It drags a whole bunch of beloved characters down into the mud with it.

Comment

/sigh

I knew making a Harley Quinn movie "Birds of Prey" was going to make it all lose something, especially after they cut Oracle from the script, but that's just so disappointing. For all its wonkiness, it seems like Smallville's Black Canary shall ever remain the most comic accurate. The only thing that one really got wrong was that she was a short blonde haired woman who wore a long brunette wig instead of a short brunette haired woman who wore a long blonde one.

Comment

Originally posted by Parrylakks View Post
                              The trailers seemed to indicate that Black Canary would at least be accurate to her New 52 backstory, which was never ideal, but still. If they don't even get that right, I might wait for digital to see this. She's the one I have the most fanboyish stake in. Of course, I'll still buy it, but as I've said before, that's just because it's DC. Can't be worse than Catwoman, right? Right?
                              No, it's far better than INO Catwoman. Most of the characters in BoP are recognizable, the plot is decent, and there are some stellar acting performances. BoP might not be the hit that WB wanted, but when their BO run is finished, it will likely be a modest success.
                              Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
                                They don't really give her any backstory. She's just a singer for Black Mask who then becomes his driver. Her Canary Cry is never explained, nor the many times she could use it to help the situation but doesn't (she only uses it once in the movie).
                                They clearly say that she inherited the scream from her mom, who worked with the police against organized crime. The police couldn't protect her and she was killed by the mob.
                                Canary has problems controlling the scream. In the club, there is one scene where she sings, and the scream is welling up, destroying a glass. It's only at the end where they have no other choice that she tries it with any confidence, and it works fine then. There's a story there, presumably for a sequel that's never going to come.

Comment

Working...
                                X