No announcement yet.

Green Lantern by Geoffrey Thorne and Tom Raney Announced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought it was better than what Grant Morrison was doing, and actually seemed more like Green Lantern to me than anything I read from...well, anyone in a very long while. I guess my idea of "more like Green Lantern" is something from the 80s and early 90s series.

The art from Soy is good, the art from the other artist is just "whatever" to me. Some generic, if serviceable guy. I think this title deserves heaps of criticism for having an artist switch on the very first issue. Is that really the point things have gotten to? Not tolerable to me. And yes, I thought it was jarring. That is ALWAYS jarring unless there is a very, very good narrative reason for it, and there usually isn't. So, you're going to lose an entire grade and a half from me just for that.

For a #1 issue, the cover is very bad.

The dialogue was terrible. There is a lot I could say about it, but I'll just say it was terrible. Well, in short there were speeches that were too long and his take on "ethnic" slants fell completely on its face, and the writer would do well to just cut that out completely.

The writer's choice of characters is questionable. John is fine. Baz is not. Teen Lantern...oh my god. Far worse than Scrappy Doo. Cringe inducing for numerous reasons any time she is on panel. As for the faux JL/U Hawkgirl...Um...I actually don't have a problem with that. No (reasonable) person should complain about John Stewart being with Hawkgirl and you get to have a similar dynamic for people who watched the cartoons. I also think it's a good idea for John Stewart to have more characters that are definitively tied to him, because he basically has none that have lasted sans Fatality, who could be argued is actually more of a Kyle Rayner character.

Um...the story...I honestly can't say anything too good about it, other than it was generic and the plot mostly inoffensive, though the writer had better have a very good reason why that arrow was able to kill a Guardian.

The villain was bad. I don't know if it was a good idea to start things out with some mindless calamity as the main threat. It just kind of detaches me from the story. Also, I think the thing changed from green (at the very beginning) to orange. Uh...confusing. Take your comics more seriously, DC. I mean, you ARE in the business of comics, after all.

All in all, the comic wasn't that great to me, and the best things I could say about it is that it was largely inoffensive outside of everything to do with Teen Lantern, and it actually seemed more reminiscent of what I like about Green Lantern than anything I can recall reading in a long time, which is actually a really good thing! That said, these days, if you're going to get me to sit down and spend my time reading a comic (unlike watching videos or listening to audiobooks, I can't do anything else while doing that), it had better be really, really good. And this wasn't that good to me.
    It also doesn't seem to have anything new or interesting to say, or any interesting angle or goal, other than "Let's flesh out these black/brown Green Lantern characters." Besides that, it just seems like "Do Green Lanterns have a place in the universe," and some half baked riff on Star Wars' Galactic Republic (despite the United Planets being around longer, the trappings here were all Star Wars). And we've seen that stuff before, both in Green Lantern and other places...like Star Wars.
    Star-Lantern
    Weaponer of Qward
    Last edited by Star-Lantern; 04-13-2021, 06:53 AM.
    ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

Originally posted by Star-Lantern View Post
      The art from Soy is good, the art from the other artist is just "whatever" to me. Some generic, if serviceable guy. I think this title deserves heaps of criticism for having an artist switch on the very first issue. Is that really the point things have gotten to? Not tolerable to me. And yes, I thought it was jarring. That is ALWAYS jarring unless there is a very, very good narrative reason for it, and there usually isn't. So, you're going to lose an entire grade and a half from me just for that...
      Some of the other post-Future State books are doing split stories (e.g., Batman with a Ghost Maker backup in the last Batman issue). I wonder whether this could be a set-up for something similar (e.g. John is one story and Baz/teen a backup)? Just a thought.

...As for the faux JL/U Hawkgirl...Um...I actually don't have a problem with that. No (reasonable) person should complain about John Stewart being with Hawkgirl and you get to have a similar dynamic for people who watched the cartoons. . .
      I would like a John-Hawkgirl relationship. It might just have been a nod and wink to the cartoon fans, but I thought it was fun.

Comment

I decided to do a video review of the comic
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJoFNvu4xgs
        ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

So am I a bad person because I didn't even notice there were multiple artists for the issue?

Comment

I decided to do a video review of the comic
            + YouTube Video
            ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
            Good points. I also like seeing what all you guys here look like.

One correction (though it's possible you have a different cover with a misprint): according to my cover, this comic was rated 13+.

Comment

With the launch of the new series, we did a special, impromptu Emerald Echo. Even if you aren't a fan of this issue, give us a look for my Green Lantern Nerd Cave if nothing else.
              + YouTube Video
              ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
              Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

Adam and I sat down with Geoffrey Thorne to talk about the recent events:
                + YouTube Video
                Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                  Some of the other post-Future State books are doing split stories (e.g., Batman with a Ghost Maker backup in the last Batman issue). I wonder whether this could be a set-up for something similar (e.g. John is one story and Baz/teen a backup)? Just a thought.

I would like a John-Hawkgirl relationship. It might just have been a nod and wink to the cartoon fans, but I thought it was fun.

I would like a John-Fatality relationship, maybe in the future. Just peeped out #4, pretty good, but hopefully what they are saying about Vath and Isamot being dead, not true.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarmode View Post
                    I would like a John-Fatality relationship, maybe in the future. Just peeped out #4, pretty good, but hopefully what they are saying about Vath and Isamot being dead, not true.
                    Lots of familiar names being confirmed as having died off panel, unless their info is wrong. I was surprised to see Arisia among the confirmed dead.

Comment

• Yep, between the pirate contract list (which with the jar of rings I take as equally confirmed dead) we also have Vath Sarn, Isamot Kol, Nautkeloi, and Morro (who makes his memorial?).

On the other hand, Rot Lop Fan is found and Gardner and Rayner are MIA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tarmode View Post
                        I would like a John-Fatality relationship, maybe in the future.
                        You mean, again? That was already a thing way back. Though I don't remember if the writers even bothered to explain where it went.

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
                          You mean, again? That was already a thing way back. Though I don't remember if the writers even bothered to explain where it went.
                          It was brought up in this year’s Valentine DC issue, but they basically left it at “we probably shouldn’t be a couple.”

Comment

• I picked up the base and variant covers today. Issue #5 is action-heavy, and it would have featured a big surprise had DC not inadvertently let the cat out of the bag with their solicitations. It was nonetheless a quality issue. I'm really digging this run.

Comment

• I just realized that the name of the Western-style planet (Sergilon) John was stuck on was an homage to Sergio Leone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
                                Lots of familiar names being confirmed as having died off panel, unless their info is wrong. I was surprised to see Arisia among the confirmed dead.
                                Same here. I have a feeling there is a storyline to this as well. All is not what it seems. As evidence in #5, which is a good issue.

Comment

Working...
                                X