Geoff Johns Leaving GREEN LANTERN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geoff Johns Leaving GREEN LANTERN

Writer Geoff Johns has taken DC Entertainment’s Green Lantern and its associated characters through brightest day and blackest night, but after nine years of scripting tales about the galactic police force whose rings are powered by will, he’s leaving the series in May with issue No. 20 to focus on the Justice League and its related titles.

In doing so, Johns is stepping away from the characters that he first tackled in the pages of “Rebirth,” a six-issue miniseries drawn by Ethan Van Sciver in 2004-2005, that brought characters such as Hal Jordan, Guy Gardner, Kyle Raner and John Stewart back to the forefront while revisiting the six-decade history of the Green Lantern Corps.

“I’m really proud of all the stuff we’ve built with Green Lantern — from Larfleeze to the different corps,” Johns told The Associated Press about his decision. “The universe has expanded and will live well past my run. It was more than just telling another story, but really giving back to the character by expanding and adding to their mythology.”

Now, after nine years of writing about Green Lantern, as well as the assorted heroes and villains, along with helping retool their origins for DC’s 2011 revamp dubbed “The New 52,” Johns said he’d reached a point in the current story to step away and let someone else take over the writing.

“I was getting to an end point and a story line that made sense for me. I felt like it was time to close my run and focus all my energies on the Justice League corner of the DC Universe,” he said, noting that his stories were collaborative efforts with artists and editors like Ivan Reis, Joe Prado, Van Sciver and Peter Tomasi.

“It was a very, very hard decision. I absolutely love these characters but I felt like I had a story line that really made sense and felt emotionally satisfying and felt very big and very epic.”

He’s taking some characters from Green Lantern with him, too, including Simon Baz, a Muslim-American Green Lantern that Johns created.

Johns, who is DC’s chief creative officer, was guarded in discussing his plans for the publisher’s Justice League books, but said the time was right for him to make them his primary focus. He’ll be working with writer Jeff Lemire and continue to write “Aquaman,” too.

The Green Lantern titles will continue, too, and Johns promised a “monster of an issue” for “Green Lantern” No. 20 which is illustrated by artist Doug Mahnke.

“It really, for me, ties everything else and ends the Green Lantern saga,” Johns said of the 64-page issue. “This story the way the story evolves. I think people will get a sense of finality from it.”

Woah... Its actually happening now. Wonder who's going to replace him. No matter how anyone feels about John's legacy on the book, it'll still be big shoes to fill

Comment

I'm more concerned about where he will decide to leave the title than when. I haven't been too happy about the direction he's been taking things of late, and fear that he will do what he can to not only drive things too far (IMHO) in those directions, but throw on some quick drying cement to make sure that whoever follows can't possibly do anything other than continue in exactly the same vein.

Comment

I agree, despite the last few years, I do feel Johns had left his mark on the series and with the characters and with him focusing more on the JL books, Trinity War and Aquaman you knew this was going to happen. I salute him, he kept me reading GL even during the low times of his run. Amazing that it's coming to an end in a few short issues.

Comment

At long last, our nearly decade-long nightmare is over. Perhaps we'll see some actual unique stories and continuity now!

But I wouldn't bet on it. Johns and Didio still have the last word.
          The last fan of 1990s comics
          Read my Green Lantern blog The Indigo Tribe

Comment

The time has come. I want to say it's bittersweet, but it's really just a good thing. Johns should have let GL go a few years ago so we wouldn't have to see the writing decline like it has.

Johns is taking Simon Baz with him to the JLA books? That's one of the best pieces of news in this whole thing. Get that character OUT of GL now. I'd rather he just be killed off so he was out of the GL mythos altogether, but whatever.

So who will DC get to write GL? It needs to be A list talent. Who do they have that can do it; be a name who draws readers in, gets the mythos, and does a great job? I can't think of anybody on the payroll that fits that bill.

Tomasi could be the default guy. He's certainly capable, but I think he might be better served staying on GLC.

As for GL:TNG, RL, and even GL:TAS and Threshold, I'd be worried about their future. Where will those books be 12 or 18 months from now?

Comment

I agree with the feeling of dread. Let us not forget how Kyle Rayner's Green Lantern series went out with a whimper just before Rebirth. Or how Green Lantern Corps fared as a back-up story for years in the Silver Age.

The continuity is already screwed up; we don't need cancelled titles leading to more "fixes".

Comment

As soon as I saw this, I imidieteley clicked the link to this thread, no questions asked.

Loved rebirth, loved some of the stuff he's done, but now as the man said himself, he can't rally do much more. Looks like Baz was just his finishing little touch. I think Johns was brilliant up to blackest night/ Brightest day, but since then, it's gone to shitsville. I'm glad he's swallowed his pride and left, let some new ideas come through. Hopefully, the painfull long series of crossovers will be over.

You just have to admit in spite of some of the crap Johns has dumped on us, he has probably left the biggest mark on Green Lantern to date. He did bring back Hal Jordan and brought us rainbow corps after al. At least in the beggining, the rainbow corps were entertaining.

I do wonder what will happen to the book now Johns will be leaving. I hope they don't continue crossover after crossover, or at least give us a break from it all.
                Originally posted by IonFan
                (even if the ear sucking helped get me off faster)
                Originally posted by Big Daddy Caesar
                If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
                Originally posted by Quaker
                I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.

Comment

I can see Red Lantern getting an axe soon. Don't know what its sales are, but all of my friends who pick up the Lantern books usually skip over that and they all for the most part have loved the emotional spectrum.

Cant see Threshold going anywhere anytime soon. I feel like DC wants to have a GotG like book for their fans.

New Guardians I feel like will just begin to fall apart after this First Lantern story. There is only so much you can do I feel with that concept of the Corps coming together. There needs to be a big threat for them to face, and there cant ALWAYS be a big threat. I personally think a natural end to that series is after this First Lantern arc.

Comment

Imagine if Johns had left with GL vol 4 #25? We'd all be worshipping at a statue we placed in his honor. Now? Angry villagers are celebrating in the town square.

Comment

Well looks like most of you all got your wish. I kinda feared this would happen. Before Vol. 4, I never really cared about GL before. I got a few issues here and there but it never really caught on with me. I have every issue of Vol. 4 and now 5 because I like the ideas and stories being conveyed here.

I might pick up a few issues here and there depending on who's writing it. But I have a feeling that once Johns is gone, GL will go back to being just another secondary character.

Comment

Can't really think of a suitable replacement to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Man Dave View Post
                          So who will DC get to write GL? It needs to be A list talent. Who do they have that can do it; be a name who draws readers in, gets the mythos, and does a great job? I can't think of anybody on the payroll that fits that bill.

As for GL:TNG, RL, and even GL:TAS and Threshold, I'd be worried about their future. Where will those books be 12 or 18 months from now?
                          ME!!!

Really, instead of a writer who's already written alot of stuff, we should get some new blood in. I think we need a relativeley unknown, probably someone who has some experience in indie comics more than anyhting. We need something different I think, we need something bold, brave and new, but does not fuck up the continuity again and does not go too far.

For Red Lanterns, I'd rather they'd just get canceled anyway, had some good points like the Stormwatch crossover, but there has been so much shit spewing out of that book, people will think it's a sewer whenever they see it. For GL:TAS, I also couldn't give a toss about, to me it's not really a GL book, it's just a kids comic to acompany the TV series. It won't last, it will only last as long as the series does at best. I'd probably give the series four seasons, then I'd say it'll be canceled. As for Threshold, although I don't really even know what it's about, I wouldn't really class that as a GL book either, it's just some guy with a GL ring lodged in his chest running away from something or other. But it's GL:NG that I fear for. I really hope they don't cancel that and just stick Kyle in GLC again, he deserves his own title and when I say his own title, I mean one without the rainbow corps acting as his sidekick. I say that Hal focuses on Earth adentures, and Kyle focuses on space adventures or vice versa. GLC can just do what it always does.
                          Originally posted by IonFan
                          (even if the ear sucking helped get me off faster)
                          Originally posted by Big Daddy Caesar
                          If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
                          Originally posted by Quaker
                          I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.

Comment

Originally posted by Deadpool View Post
                            Really, instead of a writer who's already written alot of stuff, we should get some new blood in. I think we need a relativeley unknown, probably someone who has some experience in indie comics more than anyhting. We need something different I think, we need something bold, brave and new, but does not fuck up the continuity again and does not go too far.
                            If that does happen though you can rest assured that GL won't be in the spotlight much in the greater DCU. Of course this was going to happen to a certain extent anyways with Johns leaving...but if you put a complete unknown on the book then you know that the franchise is going to be taking a backseat to other properties for sure.

Comment

Bump up Tomasi to Green Lantern, shift Bedard over to Corp, and sign a newer face to New Guardians if they even decide to keep that going.

Comment

Working...
                              X