Hal Jordan and the GLC #35

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hal Jordan and the GLC #35

I can't get over the "Four Corpsmen" thing. It is SO cheesy, I got douche chills.... *and* it's just wrong to ignore all the other members of the Corps! Venditti needs to stop worrying about pleasing the fans of just these four guys and include the others members of the GLC already!

[shoot - I accidentally only have four stars in the poll rather than 5 and I don't know how to edit it.... ]
    0.00%
    40.00%
    20.00%
    40.00%
    Kane2814
    Weaponer of Qward
    Last edited by Kane2814; 12-29-2017, 01:21 AM.

It was corny, but I liked the bit of Ganthet saying they can't control those guys.

Comment

Aside from the terrible "four corpsmen" thing ... <shudder> I am not familiar with this artist, but there were too many "screaming at the camera" faces this issue.

Also not a fan of why it took four members of the GLC to do what should only take one. One of the worst things about Johns's emphasis on them being "cops" is that we're seeing GL's being challenged by guys with guns and they should be much more powerful than that.

Comment

The wrestling reference was def. cheesy and overdone, especially since Venditti took time from the story to explain it. It might be okay for one panel of a character saying that and throwing up the Horsemen hand sign, but using it for the theme of a whole issue where it's kind of beating you over the head with it is beyond pushing it. Then there's also the factor to consider that the reference will be completely lost to people who did not watch NWA/WCW, which could be A LOT of people. That's why I think it would be wise to only use that reference maybe once in a panel, not for a whole page, and certainly not a whole story.

Third issue into the arc and the artist is starting to show cracks in his work. Definitely not as solid as his first issue. There are too many over-exaggerated faces in this issue, but there are other things here and there, and it's just generally not as strong an effort as what he put out earlier. Judging by the credits, I'm also seeing he's needing help with finishing the issues, which is a sign usually indicative of problems.

On the other hand, it's good to see the Green Lanterns not doing a Corps war, and the action in this issue is okay. Not great, but okay. The downside is that it took two whole issues of (IMO) mostly uninteresting talking to get to any real action on the third issue. And this story is set up perfectly for yet another anti-climactic ending. I still hold that Venditti doesn't balance his stories really well. There's often way too much of something and way too little of other things, and then other arcs will have the same problems but the things will be reversed. For example, too much boring talking and too little action. But other times there's too much action and not enough story. Sometimes the pace is too fast, other times it's way too slow. It can sound nitpicky here, but it IS possible to get things right, and that's what a good writer would do.
        Star-Lantern
        Weaponer of Qward
        Last edited by Star-Lantern; 12-30-2017, 01:41 AM.
        ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

Originally posted by Star-Lantern View Post
          The wrestling reference was def. cheesy and overdone, especially since Venditti took time from the story to explain it. It might be okay for one panel of a character saying that and throwing up the Horsemen hand sign, but using it for the theme of a whole issue where it's kind of beating you over the head with it is beyond pushing it...
          The funny thing is I know the wrestling reference, but until John said that I just assumed it was the Biblical reference that the wrestling team took for their name.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
            The funny thing is I know the wrestling reference, but until John said that I just assumed it was the Biblical reference that the wrestling team took for their name.
            They did take the name from the Bible. Ric Flair acknowledged it a couple of times iirc.

Comment

Then there's also the factor to consider that the reference will be completely lost to people who did not watch NWA/WCW, which could be A LOT of people. That's why I think it would be wise to only use that reference maybe once in a panel, not for a whole page, and certainly not a whole story.

The Horsemen have been mentioned by WWF several times. So saying only NWA/WCW fans wouldn't get the reference is not completely accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnMc View Post
                The Horsemen have been mentioned by WWF several times. So saying only NWA/WCW fans wouldn't get the reference is not completely accurate.
                Personally, I think that's splitting hairs, since the Four Horsemen never had a worthwhile presence over there.
                Star-Lantern
                Weaponer of Qward
                Last edited by Star-Lantern; 01-01-2018, 01:09 AM.
                ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

^I think his point was just that they're more widely known than strictly among hardcore WCW fans.

Comment

I liked the issue. Art was mostly good, the Controllers plan was simple enough. The big take away for me was the next arc pitting the GLC against Zod.

~//V\\~

Comment

Personally, I think that's splitting hairs, since the Four Horsemen never had a worthwhile presence over there.
                      True, they usually mentioned it in a historical tone when talking about Ric Flair's career. Plus the Horsemen are in the WWF Hall of Fame and there was a DVD about the group.

Comment

Originally posted by -//V\\- View Post
                        I liked the issue. Art was mostly good, the Controllers plan was simple enough. The big take away for me was the next arc pitting the GLC against Zod.

~//V\\~
                        Are they ever going to get back to Sinestro? They reveal he's still alive and its just dropped.

Comment

Are they ever going to get back to Sinestro? They reveal he's still alive and its just dropped.
                          Not to mention Parallax being missing...

Comment

Last I heard he got his ass kicked by Superman.

Comment

Originally posted by Orion Pax View Post
                              Last I heard he got his ass kicked by Superman.
                              So Sinestro's return is being handled in a non-GL book?

Comment

Working...
                              X