The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Other Comics
FLASHCHAT

Miscellaneous GL Comics

Old 05-26-2016, 12:59 PM   #1
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West
Default The DC Comics Thread Vol. 3

Old 05-26-2016, 01:00 PM   #2
KilowogsDisciple
Banned

Hey THAT'S more like it...actually, that's pretty darn awesome, thanks W!
KilowogsDisciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 04:42 PM   #3
Fearless
Agent Orange

That'll do, West. That'll do.
Fearless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 05:05 PM   #4
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

(pictures West as Donkey from Shrek)
Old 05-26-2016, 05:41 PM   #5
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Funny, when I hear "That'll do (fill-in-the-blank), that'll do" I immediately think the pig from Babe.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:01 PM   #6
KilowogsDisciple
Banned

It reminds me of the end of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cIQDpHdS-U
Old 05-26-2016, 06:13 PM   #7
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Funny, when I hear "That'll do (fill-in-the-blank), that'll do" I immediately think the pig from Babe.
Me too. In fact, I have to refrain from saying it out loud when I say "that'll do" because most people don't dig being referred to as a pig.
Old 05-27-2016, 01:56 AM   #8
Fearless
Agent Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
(pictures West as Donkey from Shrek)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post

Either will suffice.
Fearless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 02:10 AM   #9
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

'AQUAMAN' AND 'TITANS' WRITER DAN ABNETT SIGNS WITH DC ENTERTAINMENT
Quote:
BURBANK, Calif. (May 26, 2016) – DC Entertainment continues to add top-flight talent to its creative roster, announcing today that it has reached an agreement with writer Dan Abnett to create comic book content solely for the company’s DC and Vertigo imprints. In addition to writing Aquaman: Rebirth #1 and Aquaman #1 in June, Abnett will also pen Titans: Rebirth #1, continuing threads from his storyline in his current Titans Hunt miniseries. Shipping twice monthly, the Aquaman art team includes talented artists Phil Briones, Scot Eaton, Oscar Jimenez, Jesus Merino and Brad Walker, while the monthly Titans will see artist Brett Booth accompany Abnett on the book.

“Dan Abnett is the perfect fit for Aquaman and Titans,” said DC Entertainment Co-Publisher Jim Lee. “He skillfully balances great dialogue and high-octane action, making for great reads every time. DC is excited that he’ll be giving fans more great stories in both books as we enter into our line wide REBIRTH re-launch in June and beyond.”

Aquaman continues the story of Arthur Curry, the King of Atlantis, as he seeks to reconcile his dual heritage of land and sea. A citizen of both worlds, Arthur seeks to unite Atlantis with the rest of the global community. But his plans will be thrown into chaos with the return of his arch-nemesis Black Manta, who seeks to destroy the careful balance of peace, and bring Aquaman’s world crashing down.

Titans continues story beats from Abnett’s run on Titans Hunt, with teammates Wally West, Donna Troy, Arsenal, Garth, Lilith and Nightwing all reunited after the disastrous consequences of having their memories lost. Now, with their memories intact they will attempt to reunite as a team, and stop the demon that broke them apart and is a threat to reality itself.

"I was delighted by Dan DiDio's invitation to sign exclusively with DC,” said Abnett. “My recent work for DC, on projects like He-Man, Earth 2 and Titans Hunt have been both rewarding and enjoyable, and now with Aquaman's Rebirth in the mix, and the Titans as a new series, it seems like the ideal time to really focus on DC work and do my best to knock each and every issue out of the park. Not that we have baseball parks in the UK. We have cricket pitches. But the point stands, anyway..."

Abnett makes his REBIRTH debut on Aquaman: Rebirth #1 (on sale June 8) and Aquaman #1 (on sale June 22) beginning an all-new story arc, blasting out of the events of the DC Universe: Rebirth #1 special, written by Geoff Johns (Justice League, Green Lantern: Rebirth, Flash: Rebirth), that went on sale May 25. As part of the REBIRTH line wide re-launch, Aquaman will ship twice monthly, and at a lower price of $2.99.
Old 05-27-2016, 04:00 AM   #10
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Old 05-31-2016, 11:58 PM   #11
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Green Arrow: Rebirth #1 Preview
Writer: Ben Percy
Artist: Otto Schmidt

Old 06-01-2016, 04:15 AM   #12
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
Green Arrow: Rebirth #1 Preview
Writer: Ben Percy
Artist: Otto Schmidt
Except for the Forever Evil tie-ins, I haven't read any GA in the New 52, but I'm seriously considering trying this tomorrow.
Old 06-01-2016, 04:24 PM   #13
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

Watchmen Co-Creator Dave Gibbons

Quote:
Watchmen co-creator Dave Gibbons attended the recent MCM London Comic-Con where he talked about DC and Marvel.

Last week saw DC Comics release their big Rebirth issue which tied the DC Comics universe directly into the Gibbons and Alan Moore's Watchmen universe.

Gibbons didn't seem too pleased by that.

"I wouldn't make the question too long. All I'm going to say is no comment," Gibbons said when Rebirth and Doctor Manhattan were brought up. "I have no comment."

Gibbons was then asked if he consulted on Rebirth or if DC bothered to drop him an e-mail.

"No, they didn't. And that's all I'm going to say," Gibbons said.

Darth_Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 05:17 PM   #14
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

What a shocker!
Old 06-01-2016, 06:55 PM   #15
Space Cop
The Dandy

If they're going to outright go against Moore's wishes, what's the difference in snubbing Gibbons?
Old 06-01-2016, 08:50 PM   #16
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

Anyone get a good sense of the overall fan's reaction to Rebirth?

Darth_Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:57 PM   #17
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Twitter/Reddit have been happy with this week's titles as far as I can tell and they loved last week's one-shot.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:40 PM   #18
KilowogsDisciple
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Primus View Post
Anyone get a good sense of the overall fan's reaction to Rebirth?
It seemed well received...I don't know much about business, but I don't think there would be the special edition things coming out if it hadn't.

All it did for me was reaffirm my knocking off over fifty percent of my DC subscriptions and moving them over to Marvel. I didn't like the direction at all, and the worse thing for me is apparently this new direction will have repercussions all over DC. Too bad for me.

I'm keeping my Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Justice League, and Superman subscriptions, and hoping like hell they don't mess up Blue Beetle or Teen Titans (of course I HAVE to check those two out, I've been waiting forever for another Jaime title in particular).

In my (admittedly twisted) mind, that's it. Marvel finally overcame DC in my mind, it took them years to do it, though. To me that sorry ass Batman movie, Johns' continued, sorry ass executive position and retarded leave of writing comics, Rebirth #1, us Green Lantern fans getting a Hulk sized spiked dildo up the buttal regions...I'm mostly done.

But that's just my lowly opinion. Hey, a lot of people are into what DC's doing and more power to them. I consider myself fortunate to be able to hang around and just talk about comics, to be honest!

Last edited by KilowogsDisciple; 06-01-2016 at 09:43 PM.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:00 PM   #19
KilowogsDisciple
Banned

Uh....heh. I just realized that Detective Comics had not only Barrows on art but co-features BATWOMAN. One big wow...

(sheepishly) maybe I'm wrong....
Old 06-02-2016, 12:32 AM   #20
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

'Rebirth': Geoff Johns Talks About Bringing Hope Back to the DC Universe
Quote:
So, is this really it for you and comics? You're co-writing a couple of the Rebirth relaunch issues, but this seems to be the last thing you have on the cards in terms of comics for the foreseeable future.

I'm taking a break for awhile. Rebirth is my last book for awhile, Justice League No. 50 is my last monthly book for awhile. But, you know, comics are my first love. I'll be back — I've set some stuff up in the Rebirth special that I'm going to see through — but I need to take a break and take care of some other things. I won't be gone that long. It's nice to read comics as a fan for awhile, though. [Laughs]
'Rebirth is the DNA of DC Comics': Geoff Johns offers in-depth breakdown of epic new comic
Quote:
Will Shazam be getting his own book? What about Justice Society and Legion of Super Heroes? And what’s the strategy to rolling it out?

“There will be a Shazam book. Not by me, but they’re definitely doing a Shazam book. One of the reasons they’re double shipping, the advantage to double-ship, is to take the number of titles and contract it, and the number of characters. Get these characters right. Then, slowly, when you’ve made sure everything’s working in a great way, then Shazam comes out. Legion of Super-Heroes comes out. Justice Society comes out. Atom comes out. All the other books can come out. But it’s important to get them done right first. It is hard to launch 52 books, and make them all great. I think it’s better to focus on fewer characters, then expand it as the emotional base is back.”

Some of it is long-term plans. Some of this stuff you’ll see in a week, some of it you’ll see months and months from now. You don’t want to dump everything out. You want it to breathe, and live organically. But there is a story to be told. The JSA is one of the casualties of a reboot; you lose some of that history. This is to say, there was this secret team and only Johnny Thunder knows what happened. And seeing those characters come back … This is probably getting ahead of myself, and you can read between the lines, but if Wally represents individual legacy, the JSA represent team legacy.”

[And yes, he confirms that that is Saturn Girl on Page 19]
Quote:
The Superman mystery and death of New 52 Superman:

“The way he goes out is very interesting. In Superman #52, he explodes with energy, and there’s just ash. You’re not sure what happened to him. There is a mystery to what Superman of New 52, and Superman of Lois & Clark are. We picked that up and said, there’s no difference between pre-Flashpoint and post-Flashpoint, so there has to be a new mystery between these characters. That plays out in the Superman books.”
Quote:
Which storyline will continue the plotline with Doctor Manhattan:

“That will be a future conversation! That would be a good story to tell. And I will say, it would be a story that would not involve double-page spreads of super heroes smashing their fists into Doctor Manhattan. You have to treat that very carefully. It is an intellectual and emotional story. It is definitely not a 10-part crossover. That story is a special, special story to tell.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:10 AM   #21
LanternJake
Green Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Primus View Post
I kind of feel sorry for both Moore and Gibbons but at the same time I don't.

It's a shame Watchmen hasn't been left alone. I thought it'd be left as one of THE classic DC stories that was self contained.

But on the other side of the coin, they created these characters while at DC and DC can do what they want with the characters. Do DC really owe an explanation ?

I think the characters used in a different context works and as we might've seen with Mr.Oz already , they could be a lot different to how we saw them in Watchmen.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:56 AM   #22
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanternJake View Post

I think the characters used in a different context works and as we might've seen with Mr.Oz already , they could be a lot different to how we saw them in Watchmen.
They could all end up redesigned by Jim Lee with kewl V collars, strappy boots, armor plating and lots of linework.

DC would have been better off not touching Watchmen and leaving it a self contained story contained in those 12 issues. More proof that Kahn and Levitz leaving DC were the worst thing to happen to DC since...well, pretty much ever.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:44 PM   #23
"Chosen"
NOT his black friend

DC UNIVERSE: REBIRTH #1 Gets Third Printing, First Wave Of REBIRTH One-Shots Get Seconds
"Chosen" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 04:49 PM   #24
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Square bound and $5.99 for the 3rd printing as well.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:58 PM   #25
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

I'm feeling a little put out that DC may well have deliberately run a shorter initial run on this so they could jack the price on all subsequent runs once hype had built (partly from its "sold out" status). I'm also more annoyed that my LCS didn't pull it for me in the first place (though if the quantities were limited, they may not have GOTTEN enough copies to pull one for me).

Is anybody really demanding the fancier binding that supposedly accounts for this higher price? I doubt it.