Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Sector 0
FLASHCHAT

Sector 0

Old 05-13-2018, 06:25 PM   #1201
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonFan View Post
it just keeps getting worst and worst for GL............................. maybe they should just Make Kyle Great Again and see how it goes
Well, it's not like they don't react. Green Lanterns gets a new creative team with #51, they seem to split Jess and Simon. And rumor has it that Hal&GLC gets replaced with a new Green Lantern book by Morrison. That should stabilize sales quickly.

Yes, I'd love to see more Kyle, especially in a starring role. And maybe that's what Morrison is gong to do. I doubt it, but maybe it is.

I'm just happy they are doing something that isn't relaunching with a new #1 and keeping Venditti.
Old 05-14-2018, 02:09 AM   #1202
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I'm normally against whimsically cancelling a title and immediately replacing it with a new #1, but here I think it might be for the best. For one, NEITHER title is officially called "Green Lantern". It's as if the real GL title was put aside and we have been enduring two spin off titles the last 2 years.

And neither title has anything going for it that really needs to be saved.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:50 AM   #1203
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

19 Doom Patrol 1* $3.99 DC 76,225
79 Doom Patrol 2* $3.99 DC 37,856
96 Doom Patrol 3* $3.99 DC 30,140
105 Doom Patrol 4* $3.99 DC 26,261
101 Doom Patrol 5* $3.99 DC 24,693
104 Doom Patrol 6* $3.99 DC 21,954
120 Doom Patrol 7* $3.99 DC 18,432
125 Doom Patrol 8* $3.99 DC 17,483
133 Doom Patrol 9* $3.99 DC 16,381
133 Doom Patrol 10* $3.99 DC 15,504
155 Doom Patrol 11* $3.99 DC 12,937

So much for THAT volume of the Doom Patrol. Down to under 13k in 11 issues, mostly due to DC entrusting the title to a rock star. The guy couldn't make deadlines and polluted the book with his gender identity confusion almost as much as Rachel Pollack did. No wonder it ended the same for his run as it did hers.

Gerard Way announced a few days ago that the Young Animal line was ending this summer, with some attempt at a straight face while claiming it was always meant to be a short term imprint. He then said he plans on doing more issues of DP, but with the uber late #11 not really ending the story but at least fulfilling the TPB promise already solicited for it, I'm pretty sure #11 was the end of the series.

And with DC's announcement of a Doom Patrol tv show with 13 episodes ordered for the upcoming online service they are building up content for, I would expect DC to come up with a new 7th volume of DP to compliment it.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:57 AM   #1204
Space Cop
The Dandy

So, I didn't miss much?
Old 05-17-2018, 12:17 PM   #1205
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

I switched to trades on that book. I know that quite a few customers at our store did as well. I wonder how much of an impact that made, and how the TPB sales line up against that development.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:56 AM   #1206
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
So, I didn't miss much?
No you didn't. I wanted to like it, but Gerard Way really fell into the same trap that Rachel Pollack did. That being trying to ape Morrison's creative weirdness but not being good or even telling coherrent stories. The issues were very choppy; like a movie that had horrible editing and couldn't decide what it was supposed to be. It was just odd but not clever like he set out to be. A hot mess.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:58 AM   #1207
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heide View Post
I switched to trades on that book. I know that quite a few customers at our store did as well. I wonder how much of an impact that made, and how the TPB sales line up against that development.
I'm curious to how the trades will do as well. All told, there will be 3 trades. 2 for the 11 issues of DP volume 6, and 1 trade for the Milkwars 5 issue crossover. Not much to pick up at all.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:09 AM   #1208
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I'm just glad it's over, even if not 100% official yet. The quicker volume 6 ends, the quicker we can move on to volume 7.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:21 AM   #1209
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
I'm just glad it's over, even if not 100% official yet. The quicker volume 6 ends, the quicker we can move on to volume 7.
Joking aside, isn't that a bit optimistic? This kind of thing can kill a b-team book for years.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:41 AM   #1210
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Normally I would say so. that after the thud the YA imprint is ending with, that the DP would go into the mothballs for a few years as is the usual practice. What makes me think DC will jump back into it is that a DP series will bein that new service in the next year or so. We wont see anything before then, but I would be shocked if in 2019/2020 there weren't new Swamp Thing and Doom Patrol ongoings to go compliment the new tv shows. There is plenty of time between now and then.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:03 AM   #1211
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
Joking aside, isn't that a bit optimistic? This kind of thing can kill a b-team book for years.
That and the birth of the New52 is what killed the Freedom Fighters momentum. After the Uncle Sam & the Freedom Fighters mini had a sales spike towards the end after reintroducing the Ray [90's Ray Terrill version], it got an ongoing series post Infinite Crisis. Then just before the New52 DC had relaunched a bunch of titles, and US&tFF was rebranded Freedom Fighters and lasted another nine or ten issues before the New52 screwed a lot of concepts out of books.

Then of course they began reimagining the characters in *mostly* solo minis [the Ray, Phantom Lady and Doll Man, and then the Human Bomb] setting up a new FF in the New52.... but thankfully that never came to be.

- Ω