No announcement yet.

Larfleeze cancelled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So back to what Dave said on page one. YES. The "spectrum" was a sort of neat writing idea, and those writing it ran out of steam. Cut off access to "it" except for will, because will never was an emotion...yellow, because it's from Qward, and was the original "weakness" of the yellow rings...sapphire, which came from an entirely different power source (better yet, bench Carol and the Zamarons for too many technical fouls)...and let Atrocitus draw power from the Children of the White Lobe, for all I care. Don't retcon. It's not a retcon to move forward to a new set of plot elements. Garb the Guardians in saffron or scarlet, doesn't matter. Kyle's fate is the one wild card here, and perhaps he could even be the catalyst. If the "white" is the embodiment of the entire "spectrum," blow the white, return him to green, and move on.

Goodbye, Larfleeze. We'll strand you in the Vega system with a jar of noodles on your head.

The power of will is found at the deepest level of your being. It's more than mere rules. It's a duty that you must honor.

Comment

Originally posted by Spy Smasher View Post
      Sir... this was not the John Broome GL, or the Marv Wolfman GL, or the Len Wein GL, or Denny O'Neil GL, or the Steve Englehart GL, or the Gerard Jones GL. No, this was the Geoff Johns GL, and nothing but

So stop covering for him here. This was his baby and every paternity test confirms it.

Success always has a thousand fathers, and failure is always an orphan.
      Nope, this was Warner Bumbles "GL". The Johns' Hal Jordan who overcame the yellow impurity to the amazement of Sinestro and killed Krona is not the same as the "Hal" that was paralyzed with fear in the cockpit of his plane and later crawled away like an abused puppy after Sinestro schooled him.

This was the construct of studio execs using templates from other media and hijacking the mythos in the middle of the movie. Instead of spending time on developing the numerous Lanterns in the Corps and Hal's place among them, Warner Bumbles gave us a protracted love story and Hector's daddy issues to appeal to the GA sheeple who might have been confused by a more complex story.

Don't take this as an indictment of the movie; it really wasn't that bad. The problem is that GL was handled by the same studio that had to reboot Batman and Superman after lackluster outings. Warner Bumbles had just enough of the GL mythos in the movie to make it viable, but they gave us a nice snack instead of an exquisite meal. Had GL been Johns' baby, we'd be talking about it having its 2nd sibling now.
      Big Blue Lantern
      Corps Honor Guard
      Last edited by Big Blue Lantern; 03-24-2014, 10:37 AM.
      Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

Geoff Johns did not write the GL movie, 4 other guys did that. So as far as I'm concerned, Johns is not to blame for the movies failures. From what I've read and heard the only major changes Geoff made to the script was changing Legion to Parallax and swapping Alan Scott for Amanda Waller. If anything I bet if he was more involved the movie probably would've been better.
        Green Lantern's Light!

https://twitter.com/CeltiC527

Comment

Stop, stop it, stop it. Geoff CO-PRODUCED the movie and the four people who wrote it knew nothing about GL except what Geoff had written. If the movie had made a lot of money, his fans would be laying it all at his feet.

Comment

Originally posted by Star-Lantern View Post
            All the new characters, all the fights, and all the wars were extremely redundant, in my opinion. Johns really dumbed down the whole Green Lantern universe by essentially making it all about people with rings who fight eachother with colored shapes and lasers.

This is completely anecdotal, I understand, but I was talking about cartoons with a kid who was probably about 9, and I asked him if he liked Green Lantern. He told me he did not and I asked him why. His words --which I don't think I'll ever forget-- were, "It's just a bunch of rings." When I thought about it, I was like, "yeah, that's all it is about. A bunch of different colored rings."
            I once asked a guy why he didn't read GL, and he said, "The ring constructs are stupid." I reported that on the old DC GL board, and of course the fanboys went wild with moral indignation.

And you make an interesting point there. The fact that Lanterns now just fight EACH OTHER has gotten seriously old. It's passed its sell-by date and is smelling very bad. That stuff needs to go.

Comment

I don't think it was entirely on Johns, though I think he had more of a say than a lot of people think. I thought the problem with Green Lantern was pretty apparent. There were too many voices thrown into the mix. Unlike Nolan's take on Batman, love it or hate it, there was a single direction for the franchise. Green Lantern felt like there were multiples movies wrapped into one, with too many themes, characters, and plots to be interesting. I thought the same thing for the visual effects too. They seemed lost on how to make a kick ass ring wielding super-hero.

Hopefully they've learned their lesson, but who knows. I thought Man of Steel had a pretty cohesive direction behind it, again you can love it or hate it, but it didn't have the feeling of too many hands being in the pot.

Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Spy Smasher View Post
                The fact that Lanterns now just fight EACH OTHER has gotten seriously old. It's passed its sell-by date and is smelling very bad. That stuff needs to go.
                This has been a sore point for me for a long time as well. That has been a real problem for the franchise. And now that the current writers are trying to give the GL's something to shoot at other than OTHER people with rings? I feel like I should feel guilty for not liking it on the sole basis that on paper, they are now GIVING me what I've been bitching for. It's the execution that's currently the problem, not the plan on paper.

But I certainly don't want to go back to lanterns shooting at other lanterns ever again.

Comment

Don't forget: some Durlans have rings. So the Lanterns will still be fighting other ring-wielders.
                  The last fan of 1990s comics
                  Read my Green Lantern blog The Indigo Tribe

Comment

If Geoff had time, he would have had the GLC face off against the Legion in a time travel story. And being a teenager would have been an emotion on the emotional spectrum.

Comment

LOL! Aren't teenagers emotional? It kind of works. We can give them the color brown on the emotional spectrum for being whiny little shits.

Regarding Larfleeze, I'm shocked it took this long. I bought the first issue and never read it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sylent_Asassin View Post
                        LOL! Aren't teenagers emotional? It kind of works. We can give them the color brown on the emotional spectrum for being whiny little shits.

Regarding Larfleeze, I'm shocked it took this long. I bought the first issue and never read it.
                        In retrospect, I can't believe Johns never DID that with the Legion. It's not like it's past him to do something so trite and cheesy. They have rings! And emotions! It practically writes itself!

If you never read the issue you bought...don't bother. You aren't missing anything.

The sad thing is, as soon as LF is gone, we'll STILL be at FIVE Green Lantern titles.

Comment

Well, teenagers do have different emotions than adults do. So I'm just glad he never thought of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sylent_Asassin View Post
                            I'm really surprised that we never got a Gray Lantern Corps that looked emo-ish and wielded depression as a weapon. I'm not joking, that seemed like an inevitability to me a couple of years ago. Although if it centered around teens/kid characters, I'm glad it never materialized. DC has too many pre-existing characters like that as is.
                            Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Lantern View Post
                              I'm really surprised that we never got a Gray Lantern Corps that looked emo-ish and wielded depression as a weapon. I'm not joking, that seemed like an inevitability to me a couple of years ago. Although if it centered around teens/kid characters, I'm glad it never materialized. DC has too many pre-existing characters like that as is.
                              Well the book we're talking about (Larfleeze) does currently have a character who's the embodiment of all despair and depression.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                                Well the book we're talking about (Larfleeze) does currently have a character who's the embodiment of all despair and depression.
                                Kristen Stewart?
                                I LOVE conspiracy theorists. They are like human versions of the cymbal clapping, dancing monkeys. No one takes them all that seriously and they get bored with them after about 10 minutes.

Comment

Working...
                                X