The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Other Comics
FLASHCHAT

Miscellaneous GL Comics

Old 04-20-2020, 07:26 PM   #1626
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

DC expands their Digital First program with reprints from DC Giants
Quote:
DC is expanding their Digital First program by offering Daily DC Digital First, digital versions of the stories previously serialized in the DC Giants, which are sold at WalMarts.

Ever since this all began, I’ve kept saying to folks “You know, what I would do if I were Marvel and DC? I would start running digital comics. Like the old Spider-Man and Batman newspaper strips. Give people new content to keep the pilot light burning – and print collections for shops when all this is over.”

Well this isn’t quite that…yet….but it is more digital content for readers. The first title, Superman: Man of Tomorrow, is available right now at Read DC.

In addition, DC is expanding their free first issue program, DC Essentials, with more free digital comics.

“Comic book fans want more access to content than ever before,” said Jim Lee, DC Chief Creative Officer and Publisher in a statement. “This strategy is intended to get daily content to fans immediately, and also to ensure that when comic shops open back up for business, they will have new content and product that their customers will want. In the meantime, we will have properly stoked and protected the demand for comics, keeping fans interested in our characters and stories.”

The titles being published digitally include Superman: The Man of Tomorrow by Robert Venditti, Paul Pelletier, Drew Hennessy, and Adriano Lucas, Batman: Gotham Nights featuring a story by Sal Giunta, Brad Meltzer, Jim Lee, Scott Williams, and Alex Sinclair with a second story by Larry Hama, Mirko Colak, and John Kalisz, Wonder Woman: Agent of Peace by Amanda Conner, Jimmy Palmiotti, Inaki Miranda, and Hi-Fi, Aquaman: Deep Dives by Steve Orlando, Daniel Sampere, Juan Albarran, and Adriano Lucas, Flash: Fastest Man Alive by Gail Simone, Clayton Henry, and Marcelo Maiolo, DC Super Hero Girls: Infinite Frenemies by Amanda Deibert and Erich Owen, and Swamp Thing: New Roots by Mark Russell, Marco Santucci, and John Kalisz.

But these digital editions are additive to the still MIA print comics, Lee emphasized. “I really want to stress that regularly scheduled and solicited print comics, traditionally available on Wednesdays, will continue to be available day-and-date digitally on Tuesdays moving forward,” added Lee. “On the other hand, DC DIGITAL FIRST comics will publish seven days a week, with a strikingly different trade dress that will distinguish these titles from physical versions.”

DC ESSENTIAL READS will be available on your favorite digital platform until June 8th with free first issues including: Watchmen #1 by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons, Batman #608 by Jeph Loeb, Jim Lee, Scott Williams, and Alex Sinclair, The Sandman #1 by Neil Gaiman and Sam Kieth, Dark Nights: Metal #1 by Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo, Doomsday Clock #1 by Geoff Johns and Gary Frank, Crisis on Infinite Earths #1 by Marv Wolfman and George Perez, Mister Miracle #1 by Tom King and Mitch Gerads, and more.

Platforms where all this is available include: ReadDC.com, Comixology, Amazon Kindle, Apple Books, and more.
Old 04-20-2020, 07:46 PM   #1627
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Y'know, this situation might end up being what gets me out of comics altogether. If it goes on too long, I may just realize I don't miss them that much and stop caring. Or, if, when things start back up, it ends up being handled in a way where I can't figure out how to get the comics I want without missing issues, that might piss me off enough that I just give up.

We'll see.
Old 04-20-2020, 09:03 PM   #1628
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Y'know, this situation might end up being what gets me out of comics altogether. If it goes on too long, I may just realize I don't miss them that much and stop caring. Or, if, when things start back up, it ends up being handled in a way where I can't figure out how to get the comics I want without missing issues, that might piss me off enough that I just give up.

We'll see.
I was thinking the same thing. Right now I'm saving some money, which I might like to use more on expanding my movie collection.
And he shall judge among the nations, and shall rebuke many people: and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more.
—Isaiah 2:4
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 02:51 PM   #1629
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

I do think that's an underrated concern that retailers who have railed against the Comic Hub plan, DC releasing books digitally and DC's plan to resume distribution in April haven't taken seriously - how many readers will just walk away after getting out of the weekly buying/reading pattern?
Old 04-21-2020, 02:54 PM   #1630
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:

We'll see.
Like Space Cop, I've been thinking the same thing. Once a habit gets broken, people tend not to go back to it.

I suspect that the attendance at sporting events will never completely recover.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 11:44 AM   #1631
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard

From what I'm seeing online, people are going into withdrawal without their comics. The appetite is still there, and with a restart to distribution and Free Comic Book Day coming up, both Marvel and DC have a chance to remind readers that they're valued. With everyone at home and looking for ways to combat boredom, now is the perfect time to pick up some new readers too.
Old 04-22-2020, 04:04 PM   #1632
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

With what little I was buying at the end, I'm finding there is very little I can live without. I enjoy Morrisons Green Lantern run, but if it doesnt get finished it's okay. The Swamp Thing Giant series I buy is pure filler material and no loss at all. Not getting the final issue of Doom Patrol irritates me even though the comic was awful.

I think the only thing I am antsy about in the apocalypse is not knowing if Locke And Key will get published. IDW was in seriously bad financial shape before all this happened and I have no idea how they are going to survive this. The main series finished (thank god), but I am very worried about them starting a new long term L&K project that may either not get finished, or may have to get published by another publisher midway through.

For the most part though, DC and Marvel are infested with hacks and most of what they put out isnt worth buying, much less saving.
Old 04-22-2020, 05:14 PM   #1633
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue Lantern View Post
Free Comic Book Day coming up
https://www.freecomicbookday.com/Art...2020-Postponed
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 05:16 PM   #1634
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
I think the only thing I am antsy about in the apocalypse is not knowing if Locke And Key will get published. IDW was in seriously bad financial shape before all this happened and I have no idea how they are going to survive this. The main series finished (thank god), but I am very worried about them starting a new long term L&K project that may either not get finished, or may have to get published by another publisher midway through.
In the hypothetical case that IDW actually shuts down, L&K will find a new home in a heartbeat. Hill already has his own prestige label at DC, so that would be the logical next step.
Old 04-22-2020, 06:53 PM   #1635
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heide View Post
In the hypothetical case that IDW actually shuts down, L&K will find a new home in a heartbeat. Hill already has his own prestige label at DC, so that would be the logical next step.
Yeah I guess you are right there. Publishers would line up to snatch L&K up. I would just hate to see it happen. The consistency of one publisher, trade dress and look of the product. IDW has done an excellent job making their product look attractive in your hands or on a shelf.

IDW may get the omnibus out, and I will definitely grab that. At least that much will be right.
Old 04-24-2020, 04:06 PM   #1636
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Tom King and Jorge Fornes are working on something together.
Old 04-27-2020, 11:02 PM   #1637
"Chosen"
NOT his black friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Purple View Post
Guess I'll skip it, then. Thanks.
I say read it, I loved it.
"Chosen" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 07:08 PM   #1638
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Coming up in Strange Adventures:

Old 05-13-2020, 03:18 PM   #1639
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Dark Nights: Death Metal #1 Unknown Comics Retailer Exclusive Variant by Kael Ngu

Old 05-14-2020, 01:39 PM   #1640
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

New Issues Expand 'Dark Nights: Death Metal' in August!

New Issues Expand Dark Nights: Death Metal
Answering: How Did Wonder Woman Become the Queen of Hell?
(And…how did Batman turn into a dinosaur?)
Quote:
Beginning on June 16 with the release of Dark Nights: Death Metal #1, the legendary team behind Dark Nights: Metal and Batman: Last Knight on Earth takes center stage and kicks off one final seven-monster-issue tour! And then in August, more players join in to jam with DC’s darkest knights when DC publishes Dark Nights: Death Metal Guidebook #1 and Dark Nights: Death Metal Legends of the Dark Knights #1!

Ahead of September’s skip month for Dark Nights: Death Metal, DC turns up the volume and calls in reinforcements to give fans more than they ever bargained for! A week after Dark Nights: Death Metal #3 publishes on August 11, the world of Dark Nights: Metal expands with Dark Nights: Death Metal Guidebook to include stories by Scott Snyder, James Tynion IV, Joshua Williamson, Becky Cloonan, Vita Ayala, Chip Zdarsky, Christopher Priest, Doug Mahnke, Dan Panosian, Eduardo Risso, and Khary Randolph! Collected in Dark Nights: Death Metal Guidebook #1 on August 18 with a cover by Yasmine Putri, the stories in this one-shot showcase the new factions of Earth and explore the mystery of what happened to the Justice League after their battle with Perpetua.
Quote:
As Wonder Woman, Superman, Batman, and other heroes fight to survive in the strange new landscape of an Earth turned upside down and shrouded in a realm of darkness, one cloaked figure has been observing from the sidelines, creating a guidebook to this new world and its evil leaders. Find out how Wonder Woman became the queen of Hell! Discover how Batman finds the Black Lantern ring! And see what happens when Harley Quinn takes charge of the Wasteland, finding love in the process! All this and more in this jam-packed issue exploring the new world order.

And then, because every legendary performance needs a bigger, bolder second act, Dark Nights: Death Metal Legends of the Dark Knights #1 drops on August 25 with a cover by Tony S. Daniel! This one-shot features stories from DC’s Dark Multiverse by Scott Snyder, James Tynion IV, Joshua Williamson, Peter J. Tomasi, Warren Ellis, Garth Ennis, Daniel Warren Johnson, Frank Tieri, Tony S. Daniel, Jim Cheung, Joëlle Jones, Riley Rossmo, and Francesco Francavilla.
Quote:
In this collection of short tales where demons dwell and reality is overrun by monstrous versions of the Dark Knight, learn the terrifying secrets of the new Bats Out of Hell and other creatures of the night like Robin King, whose origin is unimaginable! Plus, read about the secret buried beneath Castle Bat, the sentient Batmobile, and…how did Batman turn into a killer robot dinosaur?

August is metal as hell with Dark Nights: Death Metal #3 on 8/11, Dark Nights: Death Metal Guidebook #1 on 8/18, and Dark Nights: Death Metal Legends of the Dark Knights #1 on 8/25!
Old 05-14-2020, 02:12 PM   #1641
Mister Ed

Wow, they're really trying to get me to drop comics. The big gap hasn't helped, and now they are coming back doubling down on this Metal crap that I have zero interest in? I was able to pretty much ignore it the last time, but if it becomes unavoidably integral to the DC universe, it may quickly sour me on comics altogether (I get the impression that the depressing garbage that has been polluting Justice League of late had its origins in Metal, so if that sort of junk spreads line-wide, there may not be much left for me to care about.)
Old 05-14-2020, 02:17 PM   #1642
Space Cop
The Dandy

^Yeah, I have no interest in the Metal stuff.
And he shall judge among the nations, and shall rebuke many people: and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more.
Old 05-14-2020, 02:30 PM   #1643
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

SCOTT SNYDER Walks Readers Through August's DARK NIGHTS: DEATH METAL Tie-Ins

Last edited by Hypo; 05-14-2020 at 02:32 PM.
Hypo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 02:42 PM   #1644
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

I'm getting the feeling that Death Metal is Snyder's swan song in the DCU. I like his work, as bonkers as it sometimes gets, but from Black Mirror all the way to the Justice League, every step has been bigger than the one before. It doesn't get much bigger than this.

And let's not forget that this is one of the last projects initiated under Dan Didio. If Jim Lee wants to go in a different direction (and the cancellations of the 5G plans seems to hint at that), then this is Snyder's last hurrah, just like Three Jokers is Johns'. Then again, Snyder and Lee worked together on Superman Unchained and Dark Days: The Casting. But that still doesn't answer the question of where would he go from here? Other than creator owned books or Marvel?
Old 05-14-2020, 02:49 PM   #1645
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Quote:
Wow, they're really trying to get me to drop comics. The big gap hasn't helped, and now they are coming back doubling down on this Metal crap that I have zero interest in? I was able to pretty much ignore it the last time, but if it becomes unavoidably integral to the DC universe, it may quickly sour me on comics altogether (I get the impression that the depressing garbage that has been polluting Justice League of late had its origins in Metal, so if that sort of junk spreads line-wide, there may not be much left for me to care about.)
Eh, I'm sure you'll be able to avoid it if you want, the original series had a bunch of one-shot tie-ins but only 8 tie-in issues from pre-existing ongoings.

Also find it funny that you view it as depressing while I think it's a bit too over the top, case in point we're apparently getting an evil T-Rex Batman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heide View Post
I'm getting the feeling that Death Metal is Snyder's swan song in the DCU. I like his work, as bonkers as it sometimes gets, but from Black Mirror all the way to the Justice League, every step has been bigger than the one before. It doesn't get much bigger than this.

And let's not forget that this is one of the last projects initiated under Dan Didio. If Jim Lee wants to go in a different direction (and the cancellations of the 5G plans seems to hint at that), then this is Snyder's last hurrah, just like Three Jokers is Johns'. Then again, Snyder and Lee worked together on Superman Unchained and Dark Days: The Casting. But that still doesn't answer the question of where would he go from here? Other than creator owned books or Marvel?
I think that was the original plan when Didio was still around since Snyder apparently had 0 interest in 5G but with those plans seemingly on hold indefinitely I think there's a good chance he sticks around. I imagine DC wants him to stay, he's a guaranteed money maker.
Old 05-14-2020, 03:23 PM   #1646
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
...Also find it funny that you view it as depressing while I think it's a bit too over the top, case in point we're apparently getting an evil T-Rex Batman...
Well, it can be both. The depressing side was in the result of the universe building to a cataclysm and it being all the league's fault. That's pretty dark in tone.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:56 PM   #1647
Mister Ed

Yeah, it may be over the top bonkers, but it is so very dark in tone that I, personally, find it depressing.
Old 05-15-2020, 03:06 PM   #1648
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

The delays on this will be spectacular.
Old 05-15-2020, 04:08 PM   #1649
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

DC Offers Over 250 Scooby-Doo Comics for Free
DC Comics AUGUST 2020 Solicitations
Old 05-15-2020, 04:51 PM   #1650
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypo View Post

The delays on this will be spectacular.
Yeah DC better make it a oneshot or graphic novel so readers aren't stuck waiting for a conclusion.