The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 5
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 5

Old 01-03-2012, 06:47 PM   #26
DocLantern
Manhunter Repairman

Red face

[QUOTE=Synister Urge;669296]"Godawful"?!?! lol. Come, now. Green Lantern would be NOWHERE without Rebirth. Yes, you read that right: NOWHERE.

Whatever flaws you may find in Rebirth, it's nowhere near as bad as Emerald Dawn was including the following volume up until Kyle showed up. That period showed us the most depressing take on Hal Jordan EVER written, if you ask me.
QUOTE]

I don't know, reading Hal (my favorite character) being written as a hapless moron while John's slobbers all over Sinestro since the relaunch has been pretty brutal. For me anyway....
DocLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:47 PM   #27
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD80MAC View Post
I completely disagree. Rebirth was a colossal step backwards, whereas GL had been moving forward (for better of for worse) since its inception. Blaming all of Hal Jordan's very human problems on a giant space bug is one of the most insulting comic book stories I've ever read. To this day, constant retcons are the order of the day in place of solid storytelling.

I don't think it's a wonderfully consistent story (the problem with any retcon), but it made sense to not have Hal at fault. If he was still a mass murderer, he couldn't be a GL. That would be crazy, like letting Sinestro be a GL or something. *cough*
Old 01-03-2012, 08:08 PM   #28
Emperor Aquaman
Guy's Drinking Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD80MAC View Post
Blaming all of Hal Jordan's very human problems on a giant space bug is one of the most insulting comic book stories I've ever read. To this day, constant retcons are the order of the day in place of solid storytelling.
Vol. 3 was a formulaic and ultimately worthless effort to make Hal more relatable to the time's readers by turning him into a complete and utter failure. The destruction of Coast city was little more than a plot device that could serve as an excuse so Hal could go ape shit and be eventually replaced by a (once again) more relatable, younger iteration of the character.

In my opinion, everything since Emerald Dawn until Emerald Twilight was uncreative, desperate and poor writing. DC knew this and so they tried to redeem Hal later on in Final Night. If you ask me, Geoff Johns, with Rebirth, cleaned up a decade long pile of shit previous writers left behind them. A mess that the GL mythos never should have become.

As far as retcons go, It's something that is intrinsic to comic book storytelling. The need to make older, out of fashion and probably silly concepts more modern, relatable (there's that word again) and simply more intelligent is what makes retcons happen.

Or would you be more content if Abin Sur's ship still crashed for not a more creative reason than just because his ship was irradiated with yellow beams from earth's sun? Or the fact that the rings are ineffectual agains yellow just because there's an impurity in the Central battery that came out of nowhere and has no explanation whatsoever of it's existence?

Retcons (when handled right) are necessary to make things that have become part of a mythos, but were never explained (due to lazy writing) make sense in the present.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocLantern View Post
I don't know, reading Hal (my favorite character) being written as a hapless moron while John's slobbers all over Sinestro since the relaunch has been pretty brutal. For me anyway....
it's Lazy writing. It's easier to make Sinestro look good by making Hal look bad, than make sinestro look better than Hal when Hal's looking his best (Ha HA!).

And Well, Johns DID say he had a trilogy planned. That sounded to me like he'd be done After Blackest Night. Johns has been running on fumes for some time now, if you ask me, although last ish wasn't that bad.

Last edited by Emperor Aquaman; 01-03-2012 at 08:25 PM.
Emperor Aquaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:30 PM   #29
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

I wasn't just talking about Vol. 3. Rebirth retconned most of Vol. 2, as well, concerning Hal's personality and actions. Every time he flipped the bird to the Guardians, or disagreed with others, or any other negative thought or action at least as far back as "Hard Traveling Heroes" was revealed to be the fault of Parallax. Hal as the "one true GL" was nothing but a lie; thanks to Rebirth, he was revealed to have always been a puppet, and that's not the Hal I grew up with.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:32 PM   #30
Emperor Aquaman
Guy's Drinking Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
I don't think it's a wonderfully consistent story (the problem with any retcon), but it made sense to not have Hal at fault. If he was still a mass murderer, he couldn't be a GL. That would be crazy, like letting Sinestro be a GL or something. *cough*
oooh, below the belt!
Old 01-05-2012, 02:47 PM   #31
greenblogger
Fatality's Blacksmith

Been following GL, GLC, and New Guardians since the start of the New 52. So far, the GLC is the one that interests me the most in terms of story. I would like to follow each GL stories that I could regardless of how bad or good the story is as long as it features GL or the GLC. Just to follow the history of the character and that of the Corps even though DC had its New 52 and had altered the GL storyline after that of the WOTGL.
greenblogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:49 AM   #32
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns2 View Post
I stopped Red Lantern if that counts
You're a smarter man than I am!
Old 01-06-2012, 01:28 PM   #33
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

Why?
Mister.Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:16 PM   #34
Jeffi.Kaiser
Guy's Designated Dr

Ive stopped paying for Green Lantern comics. Actually all comics at the moment. Finances are really tough right now and I cant afford to be spending around 35 dollars a week on comics. I still read every Lantern comic I can from friends. Plus the owners of my LCS let me read issues in the store from time to time when theyre not busy.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:01 PM   #35
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

I'm a sucker for a power ring so I'm currently collecting all four titles, however I'm on the brink of dropping Red Lanterns.

If I could go back in time, I would have never purchased any of the Slightest Day issues. It had almost nothing to do with Green Lantern. Hal tried picking up the white lantern in issue 1, couldn't and flew away. The issues were mired with stories that went nowhere and forced us to read about characters we didn't give a damn about... and the worst part of all was the purpose of BD: to revive Swamp Thing. I was so disgusted that I never even read the last issue.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:18 PM   #36
GLSteveW
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

Send a message via AIM to GLSteveW Send a message via Yahoo to GLSteveW

I have been piling up my Red Lanterns to read all at once. Sounds like this may be painful.

Another Lame Comic Blog!
GLSteveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:24 PM   #37
Dark Chris_GR

I don't read GLC and Red Lanterns.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:33 PM   #38
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

I stopped getting comics, including GL, for a short time during Kyle's run (not because of Kyle's run, which I enjoyed. I honestly don't remember now why I stopped. Probably money related). When I started up again, I picked up all the back issues I missed. I haven't stopped since.

Last edited by Mister Ed; 02-08-2012 at 04:35 PM.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:35 PM   #39
myuserid
Lantern Hex

After picking GL back up as my only New 52 title, I'm probably dropping it again with #6.

I've liked the first five issues, but having no interest in the different color corps, I have no reason to pick up the Indigo story that's about to start.

Maybe when it's over, I'll see where it goes.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:58 PM   #40
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

My only problem with the GL comics, is that I can only pick up comics every other week. So yeah, eventually I'll probably have to drop it (and get back to it soon).
Mister.Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:31 PM   #41
G'nortDoggie88
Major Force's Dinner Date

I stopped reading GL after Sinestro Corp War because I got tired of John's writing. That story started off interesting, but adding that stupid yellow mantis, Superboy-Prime, and the most boring cardboard plot device ever (Anti-Monitor) killed it for me. I'm not fond of Jordan becoming an idiot, but v5 at least actually did something with GL that hadn't been done before.

I've only been reading GL since 2002 due to trades I bought or borrowed from the library, but I did go back and read v3. I think it sucks that GL: Mosaic and Guy Gardner pretty much got retconned into nothing. Seeing Johns turn John Stewart from an interesting and introspective artist into Hal Jordan's Towel Boy was not fun to read. Then after that, he got turned into a one-dimensional gun wielding Angry Black Man. That really pissed me off. I also wish Guy still disliked Hal. Their relationship was more interesting when they didn't get along.

Give 'em the evil look son!
G'nortDoggie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:54 AM   #42
Black Manta
Senior Corps Member

Send a message via AIM to Black Manta Send a message via MSN to Black Manta

jumping back on with Indigo Tribe arc
Old 02-14-2012, 02:15 AM   #43
Bolerathon
Avant Guardian

Gave up after Blackest Night and I only stuck with that because I wanted to finish what I started. Johns is the epitome of clown shoes and I won't be back until they get someone who can do something to fix what he has broken.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:08 AM   #44
myuserid
Lantern Hex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolerathon View Post
Gave up after Blackest Night and I only stuck with that because I wanted to finish what I started. Johns is the epitome of clown shoes and I won't be back until they get someone who can do something to fix what he has broken.
Amen, brother.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:43 AM   #45
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

I missed a good chunk of GL between the Ion maxi-series and Hal's last volume. I missed the last half of Ion and picked it up in trade, and managed to get the first three issues of Hal's series. I didn't touch GL or GLC until the Sin War started and even still only managed to pick up a few of those issues. After Ring Quest and the initial Alpha Lantern arcs I started picking up the GL stuff monthly and haven't quit. I'm actually collecting more comics now than I ever have, I don't care how broke I am.

Comics are my one hobby, and GL will forever be my favorite franchise.

~KL~
Ωmega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:59 AM   #46
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

nope. green lantern i enjoy reading and i may not be as knowledgable as all the original guys on this board but its nice for me at least to escape reality every month

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of WWE Network subscriptions were suddenly cancelled.
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:50 PM   #47
Space Cop
The Dandy

It surprises me how many people are here on the Green Lantern Corps Message Board who don't read GL. Not that there's anything wrong with that, just surprising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid Lantern View Post
...I'm actually collecting more comics now than I ever have, I don't care how broke I am. Comics are my one hobby, and GL will forever be my favorite franchise.
^This. I have a limited unemployed "entertainment budget" and comics get top priority with GL top in that.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:34 PM   #48
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

Quote:
It surprises me how many people are here on the Green Lantern Corps Message Board who don't read GL. Not that there's anything wrong with that, just surprising.
They don't read GL now. Nothing wrong with pining for the glory days.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:25 PM   #49
myuserid
Lantern Hex

Quote:
I don't even consider this a "Green Lantern" message board. That may be the name, but if you click new posts, there's not a whole lot of GL talk going on.

Though I was reading GL when I first joined the board.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:56 PM   #50
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by myuserid View Post
I don't even consider this a "Green Lantern" message board. That may be the name, but if you click new posts, there's not a whole lot of GL talk going on.

Though I was reading GL when I first joined the board.
before i came here i was at comic vine so thats how i got started with gl

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of WWE Network subscriptions were suddenly cancelled.
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote