The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 5
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 5

Old 02-23-2014, 04:40 PM   #251
Star-Lantern
Green Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen City View Post
Sinestro and Carol? Sinestro and anything pink? Don't make me even contemplate such heresy!
I wouldn't be at all surprised if there is a Sinestro/Lyssa Drak romance. Actually, I'm even expecting it, but that's just me.
Star-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:08 PM   #252
Booster Beetle
Will break before he bends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star-Lantern View Post
I wouldn't be at all surprised if there is a Sinestro/Lyssa Drak romance. Actually, I'm even expecting it, but that's just me.
That would be the worst thing ever

Booster Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:31 PM   #253
Espronceda
Major Force's Dinner Date

I have to say that I gave up on this story. Like a lot of people I was tired of Johns' writing by the time he finished hit run. We needed a fresh voice and some new ideas.

I remember how many were against Venditti taking over. I defended the choice because I was enjoying his work on X-O. I gave him a fair chance, but I had to say I'm disappointed, and bored.

So far the GL book has been mediocre. All I see is an extremely decompressed story, a lack of knowledge of the mythos, a horrendous characterization of Hal, an absurd concept in the light reservoir drainage. And to top it all, we have an awful artist, Tan is probably one of the worst ones we've had, being spoiled by having such talents as EVS, Reis, etc. doesn't help either.

I'm afraid that sales will continue to plummet. I only hope that they change gears quickly...
Espronceda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:46 PM   #254
sundrop
Fatality's Blacksmith

I like to save up a bunch of issues, then read them all in one go. So right now I am not reading them but collecting to read later.

One thing that bugs me with these comic books are the cliffhangers. With barely any plot these days, the cliffhangers are too phoney. I never once buy that the dire situation will end badly for our heroes. I always know it will be resolved in the heroes favor. Here are all 90% of the plots summed up: "bad guy is strong but he will be defeated in 6 months from now and no important characters will die". Some of the plots have had cool arcs like the Sinestro/Hal relationship and GL #20 was fantastic, but there needs to be better plotting now, we need something like Lost or whatnot, give us some mystery and get us guessing what will happen next. With such a vast universe and mythos to explore there is no reason to stick to bland, formulaic, by-the-numbers plots.
sundrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:10 PM   #255
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundrop View Post
...but there needs to be better plotting now, we need something like Lost or whatnot, give us some mystery and get us guessing what will happen next. . .
Please, no. I had to give up on Lost after season 1 because I felt like they were just stringing me along and never resolving anything. I had to do the same with Morning Glories after 18 issues when it was only more confusing then it was at issue 8.

I guess I was born in the wrong decade, but I'd much rather have Silver-Age-style one-and-dones.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:01 PM   #256
sundrop
Fatality's Blacksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
Please, no. I had to give up on Lost after season 1 because I felt like they were just stringing me along and never resolving anything. I had to do the same with Morning Glories after 18 issues when it was only more confusing then it was at issue 8.

I guess I was born in the wrong decade, but I'd much rather have Silver-Age-style one-and-dones.
*Like* Lost, not Lost. As in, what made it good, as opposed to what made it bad. Mystery is good, not knowing what is coming next is good. I didn't like Lost either but it's an example.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:11 AM   #257
Gl Josh
Senior Corps Member

I wish I would have stopped after Johns left. I wish I did not buy Threshold or Larfleeze. I am giving this till issue 30 and probably tossing most of this on Ebay or donating them. The Red Lantern/Supergirl Arc seem interesting...but...I have no knowledge of why SG is pissed. Forever Evil is pretty decent, I am a HUGE CSA fan.
Originally Posted by BatmanofSector2814 View Post
I have yet to see Avatar, mainly because it is the plot of Pocahontas wrapped in a "Halo vs World of Warcraft" flavored, CGI heavy shell...and I've already seen Pocahontas and played all 5 Halos...so....
Gl Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:22 AM   #258
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
*Like* Lost, not Lost. As in, what made it good, as opposed to what made it bad. Mystery is good, not knowing what is coming next is good. I didn't like Lost either but it's an example.
Yeah, I get it. I'm just saying I'm personally tired of things that aren't resolved in a few issues. I'm not a big fan of mystery in comics. Maybe as a background element like back in the 70s when we didn't know who was trying to sabotage Ferris Air, but it wasn't the main story.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:39 AM   #259
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Please, no. I had to give up on Lost after season 1 because I felt like they were just stringing me along and never resolving anything.

WHAT?!?!?
Old 02-24-2014, 01:01 PM   #260
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave View Post

WHAT?!?!?
Well, it was about the time I gave up TV, so there were other factors, but yep. It had good acting and was decent, but it was so annoying to me. I hung along all season and thought, "okay by the end of the season surely I'll understand exactly what the number is and why creatures appear," but nope. By the end of the season those questions were still there and new ones were added. I hate being strung along like that.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:59 PM   #261
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

Be glad you didn't stay through the whole thing. LOST's ending was awful.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:07 PM   #262
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD80MAC View Post
I've heard that even from real Lost-heads.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:21 PM   #263
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

It wasn't as bad as the ending to BSG, but it was pretty close.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:15 AM   #264
sundrop
Fatality's Blacksmith

Quote:
Well, it was about the time I gave up TV, so there were other factors, but yep. It had good acting and was decent, but it was so annoying to me. I hung along all season and thought, "okay by the end of the season surely I'll understand exactly what the number is and why creatures appear," but nope. By the end of the season those questions were still there and new ones were added. I hate being strung along like that.
I had the same experience, although I watched a few episodes of Season Two before I quit. But judging from your signature, you might be a fan of later GL Vol 2... and that's exactly what I'd like to see a return to, that style of storytelling, where there are suprises you don't see coming, and the arcs seem like a big long story with battles vs. a long series of battles with no story.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:19 AM   #265
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star-Lantern View Post
That would suck soooo bad. Hopefully we will get someone writting this book that knows the character well enough to not do something so ludricus. It would be nice to see no nonsense Sinestro whipping some ass. A dude with a power ring who dose not have to follow any rules is by far the most dangerous thing,ever. I hope he pulls out some Silver age tricks just to show how much better with the ring he is. Although at this point GL's are so pethitic it is not hard to outshine them.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:00 PM   #266
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
I had the same experience, although I watched a few episodes of Season Two before I quit.
Actually, I think I did the same thing. If early season 2 was where they revealed there's a suburban town on the island when the jet crashed. I saw a couple of episodes of that, sighed, and turned it off forever.

Quote:
But judging from your signature, you might be a fan of later GL Vol 2... and that's exactly what I'd like to see a return to, that style of storytelling, where there are suprises you don't see coming, and the arcs seem like a big long story with battles vs. a long series of battles with no story.

Okay, got you. When I read things like long arcs or mystery I think more of Johns building up to the next biggest thing ever that changes the history of the corps forever.
But if you mean basic continuity-building stuff, yeah, that helps.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:53 PM   #267
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

LOST hate...you sirs, are all dead to me!
Old 02-25-2014, 03:39 PM   #268
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD80MAC View Post
this was me, sadly.

Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote