The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Other Comics
FLASHCHAT

Miscellaneous GL Comics

Old 10-05-2014, 05:46 AM   #1
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles

Send a message via Skype™ to Marvelous Iggy
Default The Swamp Thing Thread

So since the DC Dark is pretty much dead, I want a thread dedicated to Swamp Thing himself.

So, how do we all feel about the Rise of the Machines?

Edit: Added a pic of Swamp Thing #1

Last edited by Maverick_GL; 10-08-2014 at 05:37 AM.
Marvelous Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 01:27 PM   #2
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I'm not a big fan of adding machines as yet another of the endless string of parliaments. I mean, I'll suspend disbelief and go with it because I've enjoyed the rest of Soule's run so much, but as soon as I heard he was doing this I cringed.
Old 10-06-2014, 01:09 AM   #3
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles

I'll say this, Soule hasn't let me down yet. In Soule I trust.
Old 10-06-2014, 01:10 AM   #4
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles

Also can we talk about how great Jesus Saiz has been on the book? Such an underrated artist.
Old 10-07-2014, 01:56 AM   #5
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave View Post
I'm not a big fan of adding machines as yet another of the endless string of parliaments. I mean, I'll suspend disbelief and go with it because I've enjoyed the rest of Soule's run so much, but as soon as I heard he was doing this I cringed.
Yeah, I'd rather not have yet another kingdom, but the story was interesting and I like how the machines talk.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:33 AM   #6
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Also can we talk about how great Jesus Saiz has been on the book? Such an underrated artist.
My GOD! His pages are gorgeous! It takes me longer to read Swamp Thing simply because I love going over every detail of every panel to pay attention to all the work he puts in.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:07 AM   #7
Maverick_GL

Send a message via MSN to Maverick_GL
Default :Moderator:

This has been the most consistent book of the New 52 so far, (alongside Animal Man while it was here). It's made me put Swamp Thing from a B-movie character of my childhood to one of my favourite characters in all of comics. I still need to pick up the older Alan Moore stuff.

I"m not overly thrilled on this Machine Kingdom myself, nor was I too happy with the Fungus Kingdom (although I did like the looks of the Avatar). The various Kingdoms can all work, I just don't want another GL/Firestorm sort of deal with a bunch of different versions of the same thing, which it seems like we're getting.

Even still, the story telling is awesome, and the art is beautiful. I really hope this comic is around for the long term.

And just to state it here, Rotworld was a far better "zombie apocalypse" than the Third Army crap that happened in GL.

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman
Maverick_GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:09 AM   #8
Maverick_GL

Hell, I even went to E-Bay and picked up a few of the old 90's Swamp Thing toys because of this comic.

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman
Old 10-07-2014, 05:11 AM   #9
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

The Swamp thing line from Kenner for the cartoon? Great figures! They did 6 different Swampy figures and I have them all carded on my Swampy shrine. I recently put up new shelves and gave ST more room and I really need to get around to posting updated pics.

Finished my comics collection years ago (one longbox and one shortbox are what it takes up currently) and this run under Soule and Saiz are the best it's been since Rick Veitch was writing volume 2. I'm just happy to be enjoying it again, as long as it lasts.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:33 AM   #10
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles

Anybody have thoughts the BKV Swamp Thing run? I know it involves Swamp Thing and Abigail's daughter Tefe.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:39 AM   #11
Maverick_GL

Quote:
The Swamp thing line from Kenner for the cartoon? Great figures! They did 6 different Swampy figures and I have them all carded on my Swampy shrine. I recently put up new shelves and gave ST more room and I really need to get around to posting updated pics.

Finished my comics collection years ago (one longbox and one shortbox are what it takes up currently) and this run under Soule and Saiz are the best it's been since Rick Veitch was writing volume 2. I'm just happy to be enjoying it again, as long as it lasts.
I got Arcane, Dr. Deemo, snare arm Swampy, glow in the dark and "snap up" Swampy in one lot. Missing a few but for now it's all good. Love the detail in the figs, just wish they were a bit more articulated.

Old 10-07-2014, 03:17 PM   #12
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

^^^Loved those figures from my childhood. I honestly liked Swamp Thing before Batman or TMNT. The one that changed color was always one of my favorites and later on they did a repaint of the extending arm Swamp Thing for one of the movies or tv series I think and I got him as well and he was probably my second favorite. Still had the swamp playset last time I was digging around in my mom's attic, with the foam surface and hidden chamber underneath so ST could spring up like a badass...

~KL~
Old 10-07-2014, 04:49 PM   #13
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Anybody have thoughts the BKV Swamp Thing run? I know it involves Swamp Thing and Abigail's daughter Tefe.
Ehh, I own it. Have the single 20 issue run and both of the trades. It's not bad, but it's really only Swamp Thing in name. They were going for something different and it didn't find it's audience. The Tefe run is pretty much to Swamp Thing what Jason Goes To Hell was to the Friday The 13th franchise; some liked it, hardcore fans didn't and that was it.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:24 PM   #14
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
...The Tefe run is pretty much to Swamp Thing what Jason Goes To Hell was to the Friday The 13th franchise; some liked it, hardcore fans didn't and that was it.
I know this is OT, but since you used the analogy, these "the hardcore fans don't like..." blanket statements always annoy me. It's like with the Star Wars fans, you have one side saying "the true or hardcore fans only like the original trilogy" and on the other side "true Star Wars fans watch and read everything in the SW universe."

I'm a big Jason fan and fairly knowledgeable and I like Jason Goes to Hell. It's not my favorite. It's not the best, but you don't have to be a non-fan or a casual fan to like it.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:51 PM   #15
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
I know this is OT, but since you used the analogy, these "the hardcore fans don't like..." blanket statements always annoy me. It's like with the Star Wars fans, you have one side saying "the true or hardcore fans only like the original trilogy" and on the other side "true Star Wars fans watch and read everything in the SW universe."

I'm a big Jason fan and fairly knowledgeable and I like Jason Goes to Hell. It's not my favorite. It's not the best, but you don't have to be a non-fan or a casual fan to like it.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean for that to sound like "if you're a real fan, you wouldn't like this". I meant the majority of hardcore fans didn't like it, not that you were out of the club if you DID. Absolutely some of the F13 fanbase liked part 9. I should have worded that better. You're membership credentials are in good order my friend!

I get what they were going for and can respect it in some way, but I don't think it worked for the franchise.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:15 PM   #16
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
I'm sorry, I didn't mean for that to sound like "if you're a real fan, you wouldn't like this". I meant the majority of hardcore fans didn't like it, not that you were out of the club if you DID. Absolutely some of the F13 fanbase liked part 9. I should have worded that better. You're membership credentials are in good order my friend!

I get what they were going for and can respect it in some way, but I don't think it worked for the franchise.
Appreciated. And I agree with that last part. I'd say they reached farther than what they achieved. I give them so extra points for trying something different, for the surprise twist at the beginning, and for the FvJ teaser.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:06 AM   #17
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick_GL View Post
I got Arcane, Dr. Deemo, snare arm Swampy, glow in the dark and "snap up" Swampy in one lot. Missing a few but for now it's all good. Love the detail in the figs, just wish they were a bit more articulated.
My favorite badguy from the line was Skin Man...

~KL~
Old 10-08-2014, 04:10 AM   #18
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I always wanted a proper Anton Arcane figure. I'm thinking of getting a custom commissioned. Unman Arcane or the later version with a Spider lower torso.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:47 AM   #19
Maverick_GL

This guy doesn't do it for you?

Old 10-08-2014, 05:55 AM   #20
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles

Anton Arcane gives me the fucking creeps.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:54 PM   #21
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick_GL View Post
This guy doesn't do it for you?

No, oddly he doesn't...

And not this one either.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:56 PM   #22
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

In a proper movie, I picture Max Von Sydow playing the old man version of Anton Arcane, and then his voice with a CGI creature when he comes back as an Un Man.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:02 PM   #23
Space Cop
The Dandy

^I could see that.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:38 PM   #24
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

The book might not have as much of an epic feel as it did under Snyder but with Soule the writing and tone are just plain better.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:03 AM   #25
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I feel like Snyder fans that jumped ship when his run on Swamp Thing really missed out. After a couple of issues, the stories AND art got FAR better. By the end of that Rot arc all of the panels just blurred together and the story didn't seem like an actual story anymore. It was sensory overload on an 18 issue run that could have been told in 9. It seems like the Snyder run gets all the praise while the run that followed it has been overlooked even though it has been much better.

I'm really going to miss this run after Soule finishes with #40. IMO It's the best it's been other than Moore, Veitch and Wein.