No announcement yet.

PSN under attack by hackers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You and I both know companies never work that way. If you falsely believe my evidence was "anecdotal," I suggest you read the facts here and here. I was off on the timeframes, however; it was three months for the bank, and six months for the health insurer. The government rightfully went after them for taking so long, and this was a much more serious situation. A week for an online video game service is lightning fast, though I agree that it's not fast enough for consumers.

In fact, the same AG who went after the bank and health insurer is now a Senator, and he's going after Sony. That guy takes no shit!
    SD80MAC
    Not a True Fan
    Last edited by SD80MAC; 04-27-2011, 03:09 AM.
    The last fan of 1990s comics
    Read my Green Lantern blog The Indigo Tribe

Comment

A forum that my wife is on for mothers has a few members posting that their childrens psn accounts were charged money somewhere to the tune of 80 bucks or so.

Comment

Originally posted by SD80MAC View Post
        You and I both know companies never work that way. If you falsely believe my evidence was "anecdotal," I suggest you read the facts here and here. I was off on the timeframes, however; it was three months for the bank, and six months for the health insurer. The government rightfully went after them for taking so long, and this was a much more serious situation. A week for an online video game service is lightning fast, though I agree that it's not fast enough for consumers.

In fact, the same AG who went after the bank and health insurer is now a Senator, and he's going after Sony. That guy takes no shit!
        I have been on the other side of this argument, I have worked in this field and I can assure you, they knew the server activity within the day of the attack. I dismiss your evidence as anecdotal for the simple fact that those companies you mentioned did not suffer an attack or have any need for their backups immediately. If a technology company determines their is an attack, it is quite easy to identity what else has happened on their machines from that point forward.

Comment

Originally posted by Cid Jacobs View Post
          I have been on the other side of this argument, I have worked in this field and I can assure you, they knew the server activity within the day of the attack.
          I work in that field as well! Small world.

But, these things do take days, especially when consulting with outside security firms...and in Sony's case, that's exactly what happened.

Comment

Originally posted by SD80MAC View Post
            I work in that field as well! Small world.

But, these things do take days, especially when consulting with outside security firms...and in Sony's case, that's exactly what happened.
            Let me break it down for you.
            What they learned.
            Day 1: Customer Data has been breached at an unencrypted level.
            Day 2: Malicious code has not been injected.
            Day 3: Everything looks fine, we should probably tighten up our security to keep this particular type of attack from occurring again.
            Day 4: Done.
            Day 5: Someone at Sony says, we should get the PR guys ready, this is not going to be good.
            Day 6: CEO "Do we really have to do this?"
            Day 7: We just learned customer data has been compromised.

Comment

That doesn't jibe with their official statements, nor with the results of the third-party security firm. I'm not saying Sony are angels, but engaging in idle speculation doesn't help.

Comment

well that didn't take long...

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/116/1164392p1.html

Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter

Comment

So they sued sony with no actual plaintiffs just to make a name for their firm. I'm sure in due time they will have some of the people affected attached to the suit tho.

Comment

Originally posted by Robinson View Post
                    So they sued sony with no actual plaintiffs just to make a name for their firm. I'm sure in due time they will have some of the people affected attached to the suit tho.
                    yea, firms do it from time to time. Better to get the ball rolling early I guess, when you know someone will step forward to attach themselves to the case.

Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter

Comment

Well for me It got much worse than in my OP Sunday I look at my Bank account to make sure I haven't whittled away my paycheck too much. I discover two $50.00 charges that i never made! I double check my emails and known accounts with my preferred etailers and discover that neither charge is in my books. I go to the Bank the next day and find that the charges were made to Craig's list (a site I have no confidence in) and KSL.com (a site I've never heard off. I cancelled the card with the Bank but that doesn't get me my $100.00 back. ATROCITUS!!!!!!! I NEED SOME RAGE PUKE ON THESE HACKER M@#$%^&*&RF^%$#@#$%^&*R's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                      Green Lantern Unlimited!

Comment

that sucks i hate people like that

Comment

Originally posted by Robinson View Post
                          Not that it matters. Thanks to a recent Supreme Court decision, Sony can force each and every user to arbitrate individually. Guess how many can afford that.

Comment

I just want to point out, it's too bad Sony isn't a hooker. Then going down for a week would be considered good customer service.

Comment

DC Universe Online's Make Good Plan

First the PlayStation Network got hacked and shut down, and then, Sony Online Entertainment got hacked and shut down. These two things have guaranteed that DC Universe Online players have been unable to play the MMO as of late. That sucks, but the developers understand.

That's why SOE has announced its "Make Good Plan." Folks affected by the outage will get 30-day subscription credit along with one day for each day DCUO was down. On top of that, every played gets a "Batman-inspired mask" for their in-game character.

Bat mask!

SOE did not specify a day to grab the content.

"Please bear with us as the complexities of the subscription server dictate how and when this will be available along with pertinent details," SOE said in a statement. "We will be releasing more information this week. Thanks again for your patience!"

This news comes hot on the heels of SOE announcing it was combining DC Universe Online servers.

via IGN

Comment

WOOHOO!

At least I'll get 6 weeks free. Considering I just paid $14.99 for another month 2 days before the servers shut down.

Comment

Working...
                                X