Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"More is better" again in Green Lantern!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "More is better" again in Green Lantern!

I had hoped that John Stewart's becoming a silly "Ultraviolet Lantern" might just be a set-up to finally flush the Emotional Spectrum. But au contraire! DC is doubling down on the same approach that drove Green Lantern over a cliff on the first place!

Oh my! Check this out.

https://www.cbr.com/flash-war-renega...ellow-lantern/

And not only are the Skittles Corps still multiplying like Tribbles, but the Earth Lanterns still are too. It seems that DC is moving Hal Jordan over into the Green Lanterns title!

This is an effort to prop up Baz and Cruz, who the company is desperate to make successful as Green Lanterns. Which is doubly goofy, given that that Hal isn't even propping up the title that has his name on it.

Oh my! Check this out.

https://leagueofcomicgeeks.com/comic...en-lanterns-52

If anyone at DC happens to be reading this, let me suggest a simpler and more effective solution to the Green Lantern franchise's plight: When you're in a hole, don't dig twice as fast.

No! Instead, stop digging.
    Trey Strain
    Guardian of the Universe
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 05-26-2018, 12:05 PM.

I don't believe that the inclusion of Hal Jordan in Green Lanterns is meant to prop up Baz and Cruz. Prop them up for what? Their title is likely ending very soon. Hal Jordan's inclusion likely has more to do with Dan Jurgens writing the book. Perhaps he doesn't want to write stories elusively about Jessica Cruz and Simon Baz (I certainly wouldn't), so he included Hal Jordan. Or editorial told Jurgens to prep Hal Jordan for the book Grant Morrison is rumored to be writing, and Jurgens is doing that in Green Lanterns. I highly doubt it has to do with propping up Baz and Cruz, since, by the looks of things, their title is on its way out.
    Star-Lantern
    Weaponer of Qward
    Last edited by Star-Lantern; 05-26-2018, 03:23 PM.
    ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

Originally posted by Star-Lantern View Post
      I don't believe that the inclusion of Hal Jordan in Green Lanterns is meant to prop up Baz and Cruz. Prop them up for what? Their title is likely ending very soon. Hal Jordan's inclusion likely has more to do with Dan Jurgens writing the book. Perhaps he doesn't want to write stories elusively about Jessica Cruz and Simon Baz (I certainly wouldn't), so he included Hal Jordan. Or editorial told Jurgens to prep Hal Jordan for the book Grant Morrison is rumored to be writing, and Jurgens is doing that in Green Lanterns. I highly doubt it has to do with propping up Baz and Cruz, since, by the looks of things, their title is on its way out.
      I don't think DC will cancel it. They printed Blue Beetle until its sales dropped to 8K, and they're still printing Cyborg now that its sales are at 8K. Why wouldn't they do the same for Baz and Cruz, especially after they've thrown Hal into the title?

Comment

I'd wager it's the lead-in to the relaunched Green Lantern title by Morrison after this one is canned at #50. I don't think Jurgens is writing it now that it's being cancelled. And why relaunch GL with somebody like Jurgens if you've got somebody on deck like Morrison?

Saying the Spectrum Lanterns are multiplying is a bit misleading as well. The thing over in Flash War, and SOMEBODY should've put "SPOILERS" somewhere in the title of this thread...

S
        P
        O
        I
        L
        E
        R
        S

[cause I'm more thoughtful]

In Flash War the Renegades of the 25th century are reintroduced. Those of you unfamiliar with this group, it is essentially heroic versions of the Rogues. They work as basically time cops within the realm of the Flash comics. Golden Guardian [the heroic take on Golden Glider] mentions something about their 'big gun' and the heroic Cold tells her it isn't time. By the end of the latest issue she reveals she's got a Sinestro Corps ring and light constructs rather than some goofy wind/gold power. She isn't part of the Sinestro Corps proper. Nothing is teased about the spectrum Lanterns in the present. Nothing.

Snyder mentioned an invisible spectrum for his JL run and the Ultraviolet Lantern. My nephew and I have a bet because he believes before the end of Snyder's run we'll also see an Infrared Lantern. DC isn't putting talent behind some decade old gimmick, they're letting one writer expand on it beyond Phantom Lantern, First Lantern, Omega Lantern, etc. If it's Snyder's go-to gimmick in his JL I'll likely drop it. If it only lasts one arc then we get back to old fashioned badass JS then I'll be a happy camper.

Have you guys read what the new premise of GL will presumably be? The Multiverse is degenerating at an alarming rate and there are clues leading to beyond where the Source Wall once stood. Uncharted space. Hal will presumably take lead in the GL series, so no word on if/who another Earth based GL will be involved on Earth or in Hal's new title. And nothing's been confirmed for a GLC relaunch as far as I know...

- Ω

Comment

Green Lanterns isn't going anywhere, and Dan Jurgens is going to write it for the long haul.

https://www.newsarama.com/39931-seel...rought-in.html

Comment

Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
            I don't think DC will cancel it. They printed Blue Beetle until its sales dropped to 8K, and they're still printing Cyborg now that its sales are at 8K. Why wouldn't they do the same for Baz and Cruz, especially after they've thrown Hal into the title?
            Because DC wants to shake up its Green Lantern franchise, and Green Lanterns likely doesn't play into the future plans for the franchise. Cyborg will likely be cancelled very soon, too. Hal Jordan is in Green Lanterns because, for whatever reason, Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps ends before Green Lanterns does (likely due to the contracts of the creative team being used up, and editorial not wanting to bother commissioning another team to continue the Hal Jordan series), and apparently DC wants to put Hal Jordan somewhere while the character waits to get published in the Morrison book, which, by all accounts will feature Hal Jordan according to Bleeding Cool. Scott Snyder kind of alluded to this, too.

Nothing particularly sensational about what is going on here, and DC is apparently making an attempt to improve the Green Lantern franchise with Grant Morrison. Whether it will work or not is anyone's guess. I'm guessing no, because I think Grant Morrison will get bored with this project, or something will happen to where his run doesn't last long enough to have much effect. Also, the Green Lantern franchise's problems are SO great that I believe it will take more than just putting Grant Morrison on a book and seeing what he will do. He doesn't seem to me the type of person you would need to repair something like this, with all these redundant characters and all these squabbling, unhappy fans who are always nervous because they're afraid their character will get shafted for another redundant character.

Also, I have a hunch DC asked him to do it (especially since it plays in with their Dark Multiverse stuff, apparently) instead of him actually having a story in mind that he's been wanting to tell, and I do believe that makes quite a difference.
            Star-Lantern
            Weaponer of Qward
            Last edited by Star-Lantern; 05-26-2018, 05:47 PM.
            ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

Don't underestimate the lengths DC will go to to make Green Lanterns a successful comic. I'm sure that if they could have gotten Morrison or Bendis to write it, they'd have done so.

Comment

Originally posted by Ωmega Man View Post
                I'd wager it's the lead-in to the relaunched Green Lantern title by Morrison after this one is canned at #50. I don't think Jurgens is writing it now that it's being cancelled. And why relaunch GL with somebody like Jurgens if you've got somebody on deck like Morrison?

Saying the Spectrum Lanterns are multiplying is a bit misleading as well. The thing over in Flash War, and SOMEBODY should've put "SPOILERS" somewhere in the title of this thread...

S
                P
                O
                I
                L
                E
                R
                S

[cause I'm more thoughtful]

- Ω
                This bullshit aside, the September solicits will be out in two weeks. Much will become clearer then.
                Trey Strain
                Guardian of the Universe
                Last edited by Trey Strain; 06-08-2018, 07:40 PM.

Comment

I got GLC confused with GLs and thought Jurgens was writing the other book when I made that post. And you still spoiled Flash War with your bullshit. Looking at the forums again offline? LMAO you're ridiculous old man....

- Ω

Comment

Can you guys please stop the Nightwing measuring contest?

Comment

Reading that exchange above was a somewhat surreal experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Heide View Post
                        Can you guys please stop the Nightwing measuring contest?
                        Ha! Nice!

Comment

I've never said anything to him about anything. HE stupidly trolls ME out of the blue, because he's upset that I'll get a job writing comics and he'll get passed over. But the joke's on him, because I've got a writing gig outside comics, besides my day job. So he can stop worrying about me.

Here's how whacked out he got. Whenever I'd post something in the Fan Works forum, he'd almost immediately bump one of his own threads to the top of the list, hoping fewer people would see what I had posted! He did it every time I posted something, without fail!

So now it's up to him to finally get that job writing a Kyle comic he's wanted so badly and for so long, and good luck to him in that effort. I'm not competing with him or keeping him down. I've got nothing to do with that and no interest in him or his struggle. Later for him.
                          Trey Strain
                          Guardian of the Universe
                          Last edited by Trey Strain; 06-10-2018, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Well, I'll probably write a maxi-series for Image, but that's two or three years off.

Now can we get back on topic here?

Comment

Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
                              I've never said anything to him about anything. HE stupidly trolls ME out of the blue, because he's upset that I'll get a job writing comics and he'll get passed over. But the joke's on him, because I've got a writing gig outside comics, besides my day job. So he can stop worrying about me.
                              Is that the real reason, or is it because you want to get rid of constructs?

I mean, I'm kinda' with you on that. The idea of a guy fighting enemies with a glowing green vacuum cleaner, egg beater, or some such? That is pretty silly, and near impossible to take seriously. You would also need to brainstorm a reason why he would even bother with such things, though I do recall one of those direct to video Green Lantern cartoons saying that constructs were more powerful than beams and bubbles. Dunno' why, though.

Anyway, as for Green Lantern, if I'm REALLY honest with myself, upon some examination, I don't think I've enjoyed it for years, and there were only a couple runs that I super love (Steve Englehart and Gerard Jones), so I'm sort of indifferent to what DC does with it at this stage. I was excited about it when Geoff Johns left, and I got into the post-Johns stuff, but it was all with the expectation that it was actually going somewhere. And... it really didn't go anywhere, and still hasn't. Now that it's all pretty much said and done, I can say that it just sort of floundered around with boring, empty stories, which it seems that DC wants us to forget about 50% to 65% of them (Lights Out, Lost Army, Edge of Oblivion, New Guardians)

Continuing to stack on various color corps, rings, spectrum, and Earth Lanterns is a sure way to keep me pretty apathetic about the whole thing... and... that's pretty much what DC does, so...
                              Star-Lantern
                              Weaponer of Qward
                              Last edited by Star-Lantern; 06-11-2018, 02:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X