Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It boils down to the price point for me, if it's more than $10 a month I might have to pass, already pay for a few other streaming services.

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
      What is that bleeding mouth bit from at 23 seconds? I recognize all the other classic DC movies/shows, but I'm not sure of that one. It seems vaguely familiar.

I was thinking the same thing. If they had some of the movies I don't and old cartoons and such, it could be worth it.
      I think it could be from that 80's Supergirl flick since her main enemy was a witch.

- Ω

Comment

• Margot Robbie confirms January production start for Birds of Prey, will have “much smaller budget” than other DC movies
        In an interview to discuss Terminal, her latest film as both star and producer, Robbie pin-pointed January as the start date for Birds of Prey and described the film as “different” from the other DC titles featuring Harley Quinn. Not only will it be R rated but it’ll be made with a “much smaller budget.”

Comment

• Gal Gadot Visits Children's Hospital in Full Wonder Woman Costume

Originally posted by Ωmega Man View Post
          I think it could be from that 80's Supergirl flick since her main enemy was a witch.
          Somebody on Youtube said it comes from the Constantine show and Google cross-search seems to confirm it.

That could be a good thing. I'd rather deal with the problems that come with budget restrictions than the problems that come with too much studio interference.

Comment

• Joaquin Phoenix's Joker Origin Movie a Go at Warner Bros.
            he Joker origin movie is officially a go at Warner Bros.

Joaquin Phoenix recently finalized his deal to star as the arch-nemesis of Batman and shooting is set to begin in September in New York.

Todd Phillips is directing the film and co-wrote the script, which the studio describes as being an “exploration of a man disregarded by society [that] is not only a gritty character study, but also a broader cautionary tale.” Scott Silver co-wrote the script.

Warners has yet to stake out a release date for the film, which goes against the grain of most comic book movies that have flags planted years in advance. But the Joker stand-alone pic is meant to be different from other comic book superhero movies.

The project's budget is in the $55 million range, significantly lower than the tentpoles that dominate the form. And the stand-alone is meant to be darker and more experimental in tone and content (at least as experimental as a studio can be with established brands such as DC), which is described as being akin to a crime drama.

That said, there is a chance that the movie could be ready for release as early as late 2019, depending on various factors.

Warners has a possible second Joker movie in the works as Jared Leto, who played the character in Suicide Squad, now has his own solo film project in development.

Emma Tillinger Koskoff (The Wolf of Wall Street) is producer on the Joker origin stand-alone, while Richard Baratta is an executive producer.

Phoenix, who won a best actor award at the 2017 Cannes Film Festival for Lynne Ramsey’s You Were Never Really Here, next stars in Gus Van Sant's Don’t Worry He Won’t Get Far on Foot, which opens Friday.

Comment

• Joaquin Phoenix on His “Unique” Joker Movie and Why It Scares Him
              It’s rare nowadays for any group of people to agree on anything. Whether it be politics, the environment, Star Wars movies, or almost any subject out there, you have people arguing about it online and in public, and it can get uncomfortable really fast.

But when rumors hit earlier this year that Joaquin Phoenix was in talks to play a version of the Joker for director Todd Phillips in a standalone DC movie, it was one of those rare moments where everyone came together and said, “Yes!” That’s because over his brilliant career, Joaquin Phoenix has delivered a number of exceptional performances that repeatedly demonstrate his ability to transform into the character he’s playing. The idea of Phoenix playing one of the most iconic comic book characters of all time is beyond exciting and yet another reason to think the comic book movie genre is not slowing down.

If you’re just finding out about this Joker movie, it’s not part of the established DC Extended Universe, but will instead offer a unique spin on the comic’s character in a one-off feature. Think of it as a DC graphic novel but in movie form. It deals with the characters you know but it’s a self-contained story.

Phillips, who previously helmed The Hangover trilogy and the crime film War Dogs, will direct from a script he co-wrote with Scott Silver. The film is described as “an exploration of a man disregarded by society [that] is not only a gritty character study, but also a broader cautionary tale.” In addition, while most comic book movies have a huge budget, this Joker movie is rumored to be in the $55 million range, which suggests a riskier take on the material and perhaps an R-rated release. As someone that has covered movies for a long time, everything about the way they are planning this Joker movie sounds smart and it’s why fandom is so excited for this movie.

With director Gus Van Sant’s Don’t Worry, He Won’t Get Far on Foot hitting theaters this weekend (watch the trailer here), I recently landed an exclusive interview with Phoenix. While I’ll have the full conversation online really soon, I wanted to share what he had to say about the Joker movie today.

When I previously spoke with Phoenix a few months back, when it was just reported that he might be playing the Joker, he was guarded but willing to share why he thought comic book characters lent themselves to different people taking on the same role.

However, when I brought up the Joker this time, he was a lot more open about the role. When I asked how he got involved in the project and if he was nervous to take on such an iconic character, he said:

“I take a lot of time and consideration when making decisions and what I’m gonna work on always. So, in some ways, the process, which is obviously reading a script and meeting a filmmaker and then continuing to have meetings and discussions with Todd [Phillips]. I think he’s very impressive and he seems to have a very interesting understanding of this world and what he’s trying to say. And so there is something very appealing about that and working with him on this particular project. It feels unique, it is its own world in some ways, and maybe, mostly, it scares the fucking shit out of me or something. It might as well be the thing that scares you the most.”

Like I previously said, when Phoenix was linked to the role, it was universally hailed as a great casting choice. I wondered if he paid attention to what people and fans were saying about the project.

“It’s a magnified version of what you deal with as an actor. So, when you get a script, obviously, the writer— usually for me, it’s the writer/director, last several years I’ve worked with a filmmaker that was the writer and director— and they have their expectation, and they’ve imagined things in their head, and they’ve imagined different actors, and suddenly you take it on and so there’s this moment of anxiety of ‘Did I live up to their expectations?’ And at some point you have to just own it and say like, ‘I can’t consider who they might have thought up before or what the movie was for the 6 months ago, this is what it is now and I have to find my way into it.’ And so in some ways it’s a very similar experience, right? But it feels magnified because it’s not just one person’s expectations, but what you’re telling me is that there’s at least a dozen.”

Something I was surprised to learn during my talk with Phoenix was that he’d been thinking about a movie like this years ago. He said:

“Three or four years ago, I called my agent and said ‘Why don’t they want to take one of these characters and just make a lower budget film about it, a movie but a character study, and why not take one of the villains?’ And I thought, ‘You can’t do the Joker, because, you know, it’s just you can’t do that character, it’s just been done.’ So I was trying to think of other characters, and he said ‘I’ll set up a general meeting with Warner Bros.’ And I said ‘I’m not gonna go, I can’t go to a general meeting.’ So I completely forgot about it, and so then I heard about this idea, I was like, ‘Oh that’s so exciting, that’s the kind of experience I wanted to have, with a movie based on a comic character.’ I felt like you could get something on screen.”

Towards the end of the interview we got to talking about how the story is not connected to everything else and what kind of movie they’re trying to make. He said:

“I wouldn’t quite classify this as like any genre. I wouldn’t say it’s a superhero movie, or a studio movie or a … It feels unique, and I think more then anything, and probably the most important thing, is Todd seems very passionate about it and very giving, and so that’s exciting. I think, underneath the excitement of these films, and the size of them, there are these incredible characters that are dealing with real life struggles. And sometimes that is uncovered and exposed, and sometimes it isn’t, and so I always felt, like, there were characters in comics that were really interesting and deserve the opportunity to be kind of studied. And so I think that’s what Todd sees appealing about this idea.’

As a longtime comic book and comic book movie fan, everything about this Joker movie sounds great. I love that it’s a character study. I love that it isn’t going to worry about connecting to the bigger DC universe so it can just do what it wants to do. And, most important, I’m over the moon that someone like Joaquin Phoenix is going to take a swing with Todd Phillips at one of the most iconic comic book characters of all time.

Look for my full interview with Joaquin Phoenix very soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypo View Post
                when rumors hit earlier this year that Joaquin Phoenix was in talks to play a version of the Joker for director Todd Phillips in a standalone DC movie, it was one of those rare moments where everyone came together and said, “Yes!”

Comment

• Yo.

Originally posted by Hypo View Post
                  The
                  website for Johns' new production company confirms that the GLC movie will feature Hal and John.
                  I really don't know why, but this is wat flashed in my head when I read that:

Tazer

Originally posted by Andrew NDB
                  Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tazer View Post
                    Yo.

I really don't know why, but this is wat flashed in my head when I read that:

Tazer
                    Heh!

Comment

• You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

Comment

• Whedon? More like Brad Bird.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypo View Post
                          It boils down to the price point for me, if it's more than $10 a month I might have to pass, already pay for a few other streaming services.
                          Look's like they'll be launching with a $7.99 price point which is a pro in their favor, a major con though is that garbage Titans trailer.

Comment

• Yeah that was terrible

Starfire is supposed to light up the room with joy and have orange skin and since when is Dick a cursing murderer?

Comment

• That Titans trailer is a dumpster fire. It seems like they are trying to reach a specific audience, and that audience has never read a comic book in their life.

Comment

• I think they're actively trying to cater to the four or five people worldwide for which Batman v Superman wasn't edgy enough.

Comment

Working...
                                X