• Show
Clear All

• That or Days of Future Past

Just start with the beginning of Chris Claremont's run from 1975

Comment

• Originally posted by Booster Beetle View Post
      That or Days of Future Past

Oh HELL yeah! This man knows his Marvel!

Comment

• Originally posted by MP-05 View Post
        Ok, GUISE

I'm seriously thinking about.....eating your wife. NAH jk. That's my favorite line from the movie Hannibal.

If one such as myself wanted to get into the comic world of the X-Men, what would you all suggest as a good starting point? A variety of opinions is welcome.
        Are there any specific characters you're interested in reading? The classic stuff that's already been recommended is good but if you're looking for something more recent I usually recommend Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men to new readers.

Comment

• Fatal Attractions has just been solicited for a new printing, and that's one of the big-time X-stories.

If you don't mind a focus on Wolverine over the others, Barry Windsor-Smith's Weapon X mini (available in trade) is a must.

The old Uncanny X-Men issues are currently being reprinted in omnibus format. Pricing is moderately expensive (two are $100, one is $125), but they collect a piss-ton of the story (including parts of what leads into the Dark Phoenix Saga, I believe; haven't all three volumes, let alone the time to read such a huge amount of content).

Matt Fraction's run can be collected easily (three volumes), and did well if I recall.

Mutant Genesis 2.0 has been in recent print, and is a redrawing and recoloring of the X-Men relaunch from the 1990s (the difference is stunning, and the collected editions do in fact have the unfolding covers).

Mutant Massacre got a recent publishing, and is a critical X-story.

I'd have to put more thought into it beyond those quick-picks.
          Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypo View Post
            Are there any specific characters you're interested in reading? The classic stuff that's already been recommended is good but if you're looking for something more recent I usually recommend Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men to new readers.
            That is a great one, just finished it for the first time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Booster Beetle View Post
              That or Days of Future Past

Yup, I definitely want to read DoFP. I'm assuming it comes in trade?

Originally posted by Hypo View Post
              For characters, I guess Magneto would be my focus. After seeing Fassenbender's performance in Apocalypse, I got some major feels about what this guy has gone through in his life. Kinda the same way I look at Victor.

I also have a few arcs(?) I'm specifically interested in- Apocalypse, the original Onslaught saga (I only know the back end from Franklin's Counter Earth and how Victor tamed a land), the Phoenix saga, and a few more, but I'm unsure what order they go in.

Originally posted by Agent Purple View Post
              Fatal Attractions has just been solicited for a new printing, and that's one of the big-time X-stories.

If you don't mind a focus on Wolverine over the others, Barry Windsor-Smith's Weapon X mini (available in trade) is a must.

The old Uncanny X-Men issues are currently being reprinted in omnibus format. Pricing is moderately expensive (two are $100, one is $125), but they collect a piss-ton of the story (including parts of what leads into the Dark Phoenix Saga, I believe; haven't all three volumes, let alone the time to read such a huge amount of content).

Matt Fraction's run can be collected easily (three volumes), and did well if I recall.

Mutant Genesis 2.0 has been in recent print, and is a redrawing and recoloring of the X-Men relaunch from the 1990s (the difference is stunning, and the collected editions do in fact have the unfolding covers).

Mutant Massacre got a recent publishing, and is a critical X-story.

I'd have to put more thought into it beyond those quick-picks.
              I will keep these in mind. I'm copying and pasting all the titles to a master X-Men sheet as you guys suggest them.

Thank you!

Comment

• The Onslaught Saga is four volumes, I think. A "Road to Onslaught" and then three actual publications containing the extensive story.

Comment

• Originally posted by Agent Purple View Post
                  The Onslaught Saga is four volumes, I think. A "Road to Onslaught" and then three actual publications containing the extensive story.
                  I've been collecting all Doom appearances for the last twenty years (not that I remember them all, cuz, you know, I'm old n' shit) and I *may* have the single issue when Doom joins the fight against Onslaught, but now I want to read the whole entire story.

Thank you for that info. Next time I'm at the LCS, I will have a list for him.

There are two XM titles I currently have. One is XM vs. The FF and the other is a Magneto-specific trade whose exact title I can't remember at the moment but it was recommended to me long ago and I remember enjoying it.

Comment

Ok, GUISE

I'm seriously thinking about.....eating your wife. NAH jk. That's my favorite line from the movie Hannibal.

If one such as myself wanted to get into the comic world of the X-Men, what would you all suggest as a good starting point? A variety of opinions is welcome.
                    Originally posted by MP-05 View Post

For characters, I guess Magneto would be my focus. After seeing Fassenbender's performance in Apocalypse, I got some major feels about what this guy has gone through in his life. Kinda the same way I look at Victor.
                    Mutant Genesis for Magneto story. As for a starting point...if you don't mind those really old issues, then go ahead with the Claremont run from Dark Phoenix saga then Days of Future Past, then its a matter of what you think is important.

Are you trying to get all the information or just enough to understand what's going on now?

Comment

• Originally posted by W.West View Post
                      Mutant Genesis for Magneto story. As for a starting point...if you don't mind those really old issues, then go ahead with the Claremont run from Dark Phoenix saga then Days of Future Past, then its a matter of what you think is important.

Are you trying to get all the information or just enough to understand what's going on now?
                      I'm not entirely sure right now, tbh. At some point, I would very much like to know the entire story since inception, but for now, I guess the bullet points will do.

I also remembered the title of that Magneto trade I have- it's called Testament.

Comment

Ok, GUISE

X-Men by Grant Morrison, Astonishing X-Men by Joss Whedon, Wolverine and The X-Men by Jason Aaron. X-Men God Loves Man Kills, Uncanny X-Force, Old Man Logan (a Wolverine story but a damn good one), and I'll throw in excalibur if you want something a bit different.

Comment

• Wolverine & The X-Men by Aaron was a damn fine series.

Comment

• Originally posted by Marvelous Iggy View Post
                            X-Men by Grant Morrison, Astonishing X-Men by Joss Whedon, Wolverine and The X-Men by Jason Aaron. X-Men God Loves Man Kills, Uncanny X-Force, Old Man Logan (a Wolverine story but a damn good one), and I'll throw in excalibur if you want something a bit different.
                            I'm pretty sure I have the original Old Man Logan (they just resurrected the title after SW, right?) - that's the story where Logan and Hawkeye go cross country tripping and happen to bounce through some kind of Latverian stronghold where Victor watches them as they leave.....am I correct on that one?

Than you for the other title suggestions. "God Loves Man Kills" sounds awesome just by the title alone.

Comment

• That's the old story where Reverend Stryker stirs up a religious movement against mutants. Wolverine has one of his best "interrogation" scenes in it. It's also where the "Colonel" Stryker played by Brian Cox in X-2: X-Men United came from.

Comment

• Peter David Talks To Bleeding Cool About *That* New York Comic Con Panel

Comment

Working...
                                X