The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Sector 0
FLASHCHAT

Sector 0

Old 05-12-2015, 08:01 PM   #1
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern

Default Who at DC

So here is a question for you guys. Who at DC/WB are/were GL's biggest champions,and who do you suspect of being people who want to bring it to fail?
Old 05-12-2015, 08:08 PM   #2
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

I doubt anybody at DC really actively wants GL to "fail". That would be bad for business. I can imagine people not particularly giving GL much thought, or even not enjoying the character much, but wanting to take an active part in making it fail? Nah.

As for who are the biggest champions, I've no idea. I'd imagine anybody who is currently working on a GL-related title, or wants to, or fondly remembers doing so in the past, would be among that number.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:19 PM   #3
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern

Maybe it's me,my inner conspiracy theroist. I get the impression that there are some people who have agenda's,for certain characters.Both good and bad. I would like to hear what other people's theroies are.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:44 PM   #4
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

I don't think anybody wants it to fail. If a situation arose either by malice or incompetence, you should give incompetence the benefit of the doubt.

It's just that nobody has a fucking vision about where to take it except for Geoff, and he ended up taking it to the wrong place. It would help if the people who write and edit these tiles had the humility to make the effort to read the pre-Johns issues. There are many good ideas there.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:05 AM   #5
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles

Send a message via Skype™ to Marvelous Iggy

For the love of God, nobody is trying to make Green Lantern "fail" anybody who does something in the creative field wants it to be a success. Does everything hit that success button? Absolutely not, that doesn't mean there are people at the DC offices who try to make projects crash and burn. Chances are if they tried that, they would be out a job with a reputation.

So get your head out of your "theories" and get over it already.
Marvelous Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:09 AM   #6
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern

I remember seeing a documentry type thing on TV where Denny O'neil said that he pretty much did not care for the character when he started working on him. I don't know if that opinion changed after working on him and it becoming some of his most famous. I hear Denny is pretty much just a cranky old man anyways though.

I have herd it said the Frank Miller hate Green Lantern,but to be fair I hear that he dose not like alot of things.

I remember on a podcast Ethan saying that there was a high up at DC who was super supportive of making Green Lantern a bigger name. I forget what her name was though. I believe thart was the only time I herd it mentioned. I could be wrong though.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:57 AM   #7
CeltiC5-27
Weaponer of Qward

I don't think he is anymore, but Geoff Johns was definitely Green Lantern's champion for awhile, though I think he, DC, and WB all pretty much gave up on the character after the movie failed. Which is really unfortunate because I think the Green Lantern property has so much potential to be successful if done right. Hopefully the 2020 movie can turn that around and GL will be back in the spotlight again.

https://twitter.com/CeltiC527
CeltiC5-27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 11:21 AM   #8
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Didio was really behind GL for years. Geoff obviously. I think for years there was a big push by those guys and others who were fans to make GL a top tier DC franchise. IMO, when the movie did not perform to expectations, corporate support for those guys on GL went away. I don't think anyone wants GL to fail, it's just not on the front burner as a franchise that needs to be groomed or pushed any more. It's just 'there' again.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:41 PM   #9
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Davos View Post
Didio was really behind GL for years. Geoff obviously. . .
Yeah, supposedly DiDio was the first one to whisper in Geoff's hero that they wanted Hal back as a hero/GL.
Old 05-13-2015, 01:11 PM   #10
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Geoff talked Peter Tomasi into bringing back Hal and the Corps, and Tomasi went to bat for Geoff over it.

The first plan -- and the one they should have followed -- was to bring back the Corps and see how that went. If it succeeded, they'd bring back Hal too. The Last Will and Testament of Hal Jordan was supposed to kick everything off, and it should have.

But Geoff wasn't having it, He wanted it all done at the same time because to him it was all about Hal, and everything else was a sideshow. And he got his way, which delayed the whole thing by over two years!

Then it was finally done all at once, and it became all about Hal.

Most people agree that Geoff's run crashed with entrance of the Black Lanterns, despite that event's selling zillions of comics. But really, from the beginning his plan was to bring on the emotional spectrum. The seeds of failure were planted at the get-go, although of course his stories were much better at first.

Then we had the wrecking of the Guardians and the failure of the movie.

Geoff just didn't EVER have a good plan. Rebirth worked very well, but it was two years too late, and HEAT dictated the script.

Geoff should get credit for what he did that worked, but the failures are his babies too.

The bad ideas are that it's all about Hal, the Guardians should go, Earth-based stories should be abandoned and the emotional spectrum should be the backbone of the property. That stuff came from Geoff, not from HEAT or from fandom.

Despite its wild initial success, in the long run that approach wasn't going to succeed.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 05-13-2015 at 01:31 PM.
Old 05-13-2015, 02:39 PM   #11
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten2thecorps View Post
I remember seeing a documentry type thing on TV where Denny O'neil said that he pretty much did not care for the character when he started working on him. I don't know if that opinion changed after working on him and it becoming some of his most famous. I hear Denny is pretty much just a cranky old man anyways though.

I have herd it said the Frank Miller hate Green Lantern,but to be fair I hear that he dose not like alot of things.

I remember on a podcast Ethan saying that there was a high up at DC who was super supportive of making Green Lantern a bigger name. I forget what her name was though. I believe thart was the only time I herd it mentioned. I could be wrong though.

Brian Azzarello didn't care for Wonder Woman at the start of his run, but that didn't stop him from having great ideas that turned into one of the best runs on the character ever, and possibly the best single story told since the New52 started.
Old 05-13-2015, 02:46 PM   #12
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
Brian Azzarello didn't care for Wonder Woman at the start of his run, but that didn't stop him from having great ideas that turned into one of the best runs on the character ever, and possibly the best single story told since the New52 started.
i think you should be able to write good stories about a character who you don't like. It's just your job.

With many years of hindsight though, it's clear that O'Neil was the writer who drove Hal into the ditch.
Old 05-13-2015, 04:16 PM   #13
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorn Lantern View Post
Geoff talked Peter Tomasi into bringing back Hal and the Corps, and Tomasi went to bat for Geoff over it.

The first plan -- and the one they should have followed -- was to bring back the Corps and see how that went. If it succeeded, they'd bring back Hal too. The Last Will and Testament of Hal Jordan was supposed to kick everything off, and it should have.

But Geoff wasn't having it, He wanted it all done at the same time because to him it was all about Hal, and everything else was a sideshow. And he got his way, which delayed the whole thing by over two years!

Then it was finally done all at once, and it became all about Hal.

Most people agree that Geoff's run crashed with entrance of the Black Lanterns, despite that event's selling zillions of comics. But really, from the beginning his plan was to bring on the emotional spectrum. The seeds of failure were planted at the get-go, although of course his stories were much better at first.

Then we had the wrecking of the Guardians and the failure of the movie.

Geoff just didn't EVER have a good plan. Rebirth worked very well, but it was two years too late, and HEAT dictated the script.

Geoff should get credit for what he did that worked, but the failures are his babies too.

The bad ideas are that it's all about Hal, the Guardians should go, Earth-based stories should be abandoned and the emotional spectrum should be the backbone of the property. That stuff came from Geoff, not from HEAT or from fandom.

Despite its wild initial success, in the long run that approach wasn't going to succeed.
I can 100% promise you that the emotional spectrum, idea came about after rebirth and just a little before the Sinestro Corps special was released. It was not the plan from the get go.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:07 PM   #14
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Blackest Night was being promoted in 2007, two years before it was published.

Yes, that bad idea was there from the beginning.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:44 PM   #15
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern

Just trust me on this one,the Emo spectrum came about after Sinestro Special.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:51 PM   #16
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten2thecorps View Post
Just trust me on this one,the Emo spectrum came about after Sinestro Special.
Request denied.
Old 05-13-2015, 06:05 PM   #17
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern

Not so much a request as a GL fan with some insider info trying to vaguely keep another GL fans facts straight. Believe what you want though.

Back on track I don't think Dooley really cared for Green Lantern.
Old 05-13-2015, 06:11 PM   #18
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

I'd have to go back and reread to find out what issue it was, I but I vaguely recall the panels where it first became obvious to me that they were going for a whole Spectrum of emotion. Pretty much all the emotions that would end up in the Spectrum were mentioned by (I think it was) Ganthet, in the course of a single sequence of dialogue. I assume, whenever that was, the idea originated before that comic came out at the very least.
Old 05-13-2015, 06:30 PM   #19
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

As a matter of fact, Dooley once posted on the old AOL DC boards that he always wanted to create his own Lantern. I think Geoff succumbed to the same virus when he created Simon Baz.

Volume 4 was launched in July 2005. Blackest Night was first promoted in December 2007 but of course it went back a good deal further. So yes, Geoff had the idea all along. It wasn't an afterthought.
Old 05-14-2015, 03:41 PM   #20
sundrop
Fatality's Blacksmith

Whatever, Vol4 is one of the best comic runs ever. I agree Blackest Night was a bore, but what followed it was enjoyable. Really, when a team is writing issues every month, you can't expect *everything* to be spectacularly original and intricately thought out. Considering what DID come out of that run, it's very admirable, superb art and a lot of imaginative ideas.

The problem with comics is that: they HAVE to write one every month, so there isn't enough time to plan out something incredible. Also, upper management won't seem to allow any shake-ups, like a significant character dying, so the plot options are limited. This makes for boring stories all around. Like really, the entire DC universe is a constant battleground with no one dying. After a while that gets old, but it also won't change because higher-ups can't fathom rocking the boat. "Nerf violence with frigid hotties!" is DC's modus-operandi. Pick up any issue of any comic, that's what you'll get.

If GL wasn't so awesome in the first place, with a great history, I wouldn't waste my time with any superhero comics at all. Every time I take a chance on any different comic series from DC or Marvel, it's "nerf violence with frigid hotties" all over again. Does anyone read Spongebob or Simpsons comics? There are more interesting plots+writing in those silly joke books than any other superhero comic on the market. It's embarrassing. Someone call GRRM FFS!

(this is all merely my hogwash opinion)
sundrop is offline   Reply With Quote