Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Miscellaneous > Movies & TV
FLASHCHAT

Movies and TV

Old 05-24-2019, 02:50 AM   #1151
Space Cop
The Dandy

CBS released the teaser for Picard.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:24 PM   #1152
IonFan
Forum Member

looks good and i will give it a look see (illegally) but if they f@ck up the Klingon's that's it i'm out

IonFan says

Quote:
F**k all the "Haters" 3 years in and i still support our dear leader, one Donald J. Trump
IonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 05:07 PM   #1153
Darth_Andrea
Owned by Natu

Send a message via MSN to Darth_Andrea

I've been seeing a lot of talk recently about Star Trek Voyager, and specifically Captain Janeway. I'm sorry the woman was crazy. Perhaps as expected given their situation. But a self righteous crazy person *Cough*Daenerys*Cough* can be a holy terror especially when confronted by situations they themselves have faced and done the wrong thing.

I point to the episodes The Equinox 1 and 2. Janeway broke the Prime Directive how many times in the past. Then passes judgement over the Equinox's crew for doing exactly what she would have done in the same situation. While she, no, never murdered hundreds if not thousands of a species to get her ship and crew home. **Cough**Endgame**Cough** But look at all the things she did do. Killed Tuvix, Gave holographic tech to the Hirogen, Helped the Borg create a Bio-Weapon to fight Species 8472. How many lives has she been directly or indirectly been the cause of death for.

In the end I leave you with this Video essay on Janeway which I saw recently and agreed with wholeheartedly.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Darth_Andrea
Old 06-28-2019, 11:42 AM   #1154
Darth_Andrea
Owned by Natu

For anyone interested who may also have the funds needed. Star Trek Online is running a sale on it's lifetime subscription. As a long time Trek fan I can personally attest to how fun the game is and the LTS offers a lot of perks that other players don't get. Access to all playable species, special ships, larger inventories and special titles, uniforms and uniform parts. While it is 100% possible to play the game totally free to play including all end game content. And all expansions are free. The LTS also gives 500 Zen (premium currency) a month which can be used to buy items from the Zen store including ships that F2P players don't have access to. If your interested here is a link.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/st...etail/11191503

Darth_Andrea
Old 06-28-2019, 07:11 PM   #1155
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Andrea View Post
[B][COLOR="Cyan"]For anyone interested who may also have the funds needed. Star Trek Online is running a sale on it's lifetime subscription.
Not to crap on their good faith, but you know when MMOGs start offering up lifetime subscriptions? When the MMOG in question is nearing the end of its life.

Also, the rumors are true... Kurtzman is OUT as showrunner of "Star Trek: Picard" and Michael Chabon is IN.

https://deadline.com/2019/06/michael...es-1202638580/

Interesting that the official announcement seems to rub things as to suggest the show is just now getting a showrunner (yeah, after they've already shot 4 episodes) and it's Michael Chabon and not the reality, which is Kurtzman has been ousted and replaced.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 01:56 PM   #1156
Darth_Andrea
Owned by Natu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Not to crap on their good faith, but you know when MMOGs start offering up lifetime subscriptions? When the MMOG in question is nearing the end of its life.

Also, the rumors are true... Kurtzman is OUT as showrunner of "Star Trek: Picard" and Michael Chabon is IN.

https://deadline.com/2019/06/michael...es-1202638580/

Interesting that the official announcement seems to rub things as to suggest the show is just now getting a showrunner (yeah, after they've already shot 4 episodes) and it's Michael Chabon and not the reality, which is Kurtzman has been ousted and replaced.

Star Trek Online has offered Lifetime Subscriptions since it launched. And it's coming up on 10 years now.

As for the show production stuff, I honestly don't care about the back room politics, if the shows good is all I care about. Though what I'm hearing about early test screenings of Picard are not good. But most Trek shows have weak First and even Second seasons. Given this show is supposed to be more low key on action and more cerebral than Discovery that might be the cause of that.

Darth_Andrea
Old 06-30-2019, 04:23 AM   #1157
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Andrea View Post
Star Trek Online has offered Lifetime Subscriptions since it launched. And it's coming up on 10 years now.

As for the show production stuff, I honestly don't care about the back room politics, if the shows good is all I care about. Though what I'm hearing about early test screenings of Picard are not good. But most Trek shows have weak First and even Second seasons. Given this show is supposed to be more low key on action and more cerebral than Discovery that might be the cause of that.

Darth_Andrea
I've read about the "test showings" of Picard stuff but they kind of smack of being fake... but we'll see.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:41 PM   #1158
Space Cop
The Dandy

Well, SDCC dropped the Picard trailer and I throw in Nerdist's breakdown.

+ YouTube Video

+ YouTube Video

I can't say that I'm as enthusiastic as that vid suggests because (1) I highly doubt I'll subscribe; (2) I still get the feeling of Abrams and Discovery contamination here; (3) I don't particularly want a rogue Jean Luc.

Last edited by Space Cop; 07-21-2019 at 12:44 PM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 07:16 PM   #1159
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I found it highly interesting and watched it a few times. But I still don't know what to make of it. I'm not getting the subscription either, but part of me is rooting for it to be firmly in the prime timeline like they claim it is so I can root for it. It wasn't a bad trailer on own.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:09 PM   #1160
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
I found it highly interesting and watched it a few times. But I still don't know what to make of it. I'm not getting the subscription either, but part of me is rooting for it to be firmly in the prime timeline like they claim it is so I can root for it. It wasn't a bad trailer on own.
That's pretty much me. The trailer is promising, but not so much that I have no doubts left. If I hear that it turns out to be great, I'll just buy the blu ray when it hits stores.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:15 PM   #1161
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

I'd love to have new Star Trek to actually care about. (Though I may cave and buy some more of the novels even after they decided to price gouge with them. It appears that their attempt to charge double the price for novels going forward isn't exactly going well, since the first ones I skipped are already marked down to $11 from $16.)
Old 07-22-2019, 03:33 PM   #1162
IonFan
Forum Member

as i said before

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonFan View Post
looks good and i will give it a look see (illegally) but if they f@ck up the Klingon's that's it i'm out

IonFan says

Quote:
F**k all the "Haters" 3 years in and i still support our dear leader, one Donald J. Trump
IonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 05:22 PM   #1163
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

It looks a little bit too much like STD. Lots of explosions, people screaming at each other, even "movie Picard" shooting people with guns.

Still, will definitely check it out.
Old 07-26-2019, 05:29 PM   #1164
Mister Ed

I love that Discovery's abbreviation is STD. (Don't know if it is official, but I've seen it a lot.) It just reminds me to avoid it.
Old 07-26-2019, 07:00 PM   #1165
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
It looks a little bit too much like STD. Lots of explosions, people screaming at each other, even "movie Picard" shooting people with guns.
Still, will definitely check it out.
Yeah, that's where I'm at. It looks like it might be too contaminated from Abramsverse and STD, but there is a definite appeal here. That said, even if it's awesome, I won't subscribe (never had to pay extra to keep up with Trek on TV all my life) and I'm not going to steal it, so I'll have to wait until it hits disc.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:50 PM   #1166
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

So even if Tarantino wants to work with the Abrams cast, it will 100% NOT be in the Abramsverse:

http://www.darkhorizons.com/tarantin...rams-timeline/

That's good news. So it could actually be Chris Pine, etc., aboard the real 1701.
Old 09-02-2019, 03:25 AM   #1167
Space Cop
The Dandy

Here's a trivia question that just struck my curiosity. Can anyone think of any example of Kirk (Prime) ever actually piloting the Enterprise or any other ship on camera (TV or movie)?

I can't, but a Trekkie friend and I were speculating that it might occur in one of those episodes where Kirk is basically alone or alone conscious on the bridge. Not sure that he's even shown to alter course in that instance even.
Old 09-04-2019, 02:08 AM   #1168
Parrylakks
Anti-Monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
Here's a trivia question that just struck my curiosity. Can anyone think of any example of Kirk (Prime) ever actually piloting the Enterprise or any other ship on camera (TV or movie)?
Kirk briefly pilots the USS Constellation in 'The Doomsday Machine' from season 2, and the Constellation is another Constitution class ship, like the Enterprise, so for all intents and purposes this demonstrates that he can pilot the Enterprise on his own.
Old 09-04-2019, 02:59 AM   #1169
Space Cop
The Dandy

^Very good. Thanks. I'll re-watch that (maybe this Sunday for Star Trek Day). That episode briefly occurred to me, but I couldn't think of the scene.

It just occurred to me that most of the other captains were clearly shown on multiple occasions to pilot something (especially shuttle pods after TNG), but I couldn't really picture Kirk at the conn.
Old 09-04-2019, 04:30 PM   #1170
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

I've been rewatching Enterprise from the beginning. Eh... maybe it hasn't aged as well as I thought it would. Just a few episodes in and we've already had pregnant Trip and a spore planet making everyone agitated. I can understand why this maybe wasn't what people expected out of a prequel series.
Old 09-04-2019, 05:51 PM   #1171
Mister Ed

Quote:
I've been rewatching Enterprise from the beginning. Eh... maybe it hasn't aged as well as I thought it would. Just a few episodes in and we've already had pregnant Trip and a spore planet making everyone agitated. I can understand why this maybe wasn't what people expected out of a prequel series.
My recollection was that Enterprise started out not that great and then went downhill, until the last season which I recall liking quite a bit (except that EMBARRASSING finale), though it is possible that the last season only seemed good by comparison with what came before.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:21 PM   #1172
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I watched a few episodes but it never grabbed me enough to follow it. Plus at that point I was very burned out on Star Trek so the franchise just wasn't on my fanboy radar. Even now I feel like it would be a huge chore to marathon those 4 Enterprise seasons.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:36 PM   #1173
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
My recollection was that Enterprise started out not that great and then went downhill, until the last season which I recall liking quite a bit (except that EMBARRASSING finale), though it is possible that the last season only seemed good by comparison with what came before.
Pretty much this for me. I actually really enjoyed re-watching on Netflix a couple years ago, though.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:07 AM   #1174
buffalorock
Star Sapphire's Love Slave

Went on a Star Trek binge a couple years ago, watched all but Voyager. I didnt like Enterprise at first but thought it hit a good stride sometime maybe in the second season and seemed pretty good the rest of the way.

I'll watch Voyager eventually, got a little fatigued when it became that show's turn.
buffalorock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 04:01 PM   #1175
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalorock View Post
Went on a Star Trek binge a couple years ago, watched all but Voyager. I didnt like Enterprise at first but thought it hit a good stride sometime maybe in the second season and seemed pretty good the rest of the way.
Yeah, I recall ENT finding a pretty good stride. And season 3 of ENT is the best Trek I've ever seen, but it's been ages. I hope that's still the case.

Revisiting this, it just seems like the writers were confused, or maybe the showrunners were repurposing discarded or unused TNG or VOY scripts from yore. It very quickly stops feeling like they're just freshly in space and all of this is brand new to them, and that feels like a mistake.

Quote:
I'll watch Voyager eventually, got a little fatigued when it became that show's turn.
I've always said that show has the biggest even keel of any Trek show. It's never horrible but it's never really great either. If you like one episode you'll probably like them all. Just a flat line of... "OK"-ness. Worst series finale of any Trek show, though.