Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > General > General/About Us
FLASHCHAT

General

Old 12-31-2017, 12:01 AM   #276
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
Some police killings happen because the cops are jerks, but I think a lot more happen because the cops are scared.
Yeah, it makes the national headlines when a cop shoots a young man who was reaching for his cellphone, but it doesn't seem to make them when the cop assumes it's just a cellphone and gets a bullet to the head for it.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:47 AM   #277
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

If you're pointing a powerful weapon at someone, how is he going to get it out of his pocket and shoot you before you can simply pull the trigger? That's not going to happen, but a lot of cops are terrified that it will. They need to get into another line of work.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 03:04 AM   #278
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
If you're pointing a powerful weapon at someone, how is he going to get it out of his pocket and shoot you before you can simply pull the trigger? That's not going to happen, but a lot of cops are terrified that it will. They need to get into another line of work.
If they're pointing the weapon. But they might simply be arresting them or telling them to turn around when the perp reaches for something. That would make me pretty nervous too. I don't even think that it's that rare. I actually know an elderly black lady who told her grandson if he's ever arrested or pulled over to go for his phone right away and start filming.
But aside from that, even if the cop's gun is drawn, if they tell the perp to put their hands up (or on a vehicle) and instead they go for something in their pants, they're trained to take that as a threat just like military and security would.

Last edited by Space Cop; 12-31-2017 at 03:10 AM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 05:59 AM   #279
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
If they're pointing the weapon. But they might simply be arresting them or telling them to turn around when the perp reaches for something. That would make me pretty nervous too. I don't even think that it's that rare. I actually know an elderly black lady who told her grandson if he's ever arrested or pulled over to go for his phone right away and start filming.
But aside from that, even if the cop's gun is drawn, if they tell the perp to put their hands up (or on a vehicle) and instead they go for something in their pants, they're trained to take that as a threat just like military and security would.
Then people would be smarter to shoot the cop first in a situation like that, right? A cowardly cop can always say, "I thought I saw him reaching for a gun."

Why trust Barney Fife with an automatic weapon?

Fuck how these pussies are trained.

If that's how it it's going to be, then we should go back the Old West, with everyone wearing a gun. Then cops wouldn't be so eager to start shit.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 12-31-2017 at 06:15 AM.
Old 12-31-2017, 09:35 AM   #280
Darth_Andrea
Owned by Natu

Send a message via MSN to Darth_Andrea

Lets be clear here, while I wish the young man hadn't died the situation was setup for someone to get killed. Remember this was a swatting. The person who made the false report stated he was the only male in the house, he had shot his father in the head, and was holding his mother and sister hostage. He also claimed he poured gasoline all around the house and was going to ignite it. The cops when they arrived had all that information and were expecting a madman. The guy walked outside and the cops were shouting orders at him. At one point he had his hands in the air, but once they put a spotlight on him he lowered his hands and then raised them again. At which point he was shot. The officer thought that the guy was reaching for a gun from his waist band.

I hold no one at fault here. Given the information the cops had, given the situation,
and the young mans actions I totally understand the why's of what happened.

This was a fake report issued by a person who had a fake address for the real person they were trying to SWAT. Which lead to a complete break of all conventional rules simple because both the young man and his family were setup .. as were the cops in this situation. In the end the officer who pulled the trigger will be found justified given the situation and the information they had and the events. However when the person who made the false report is found and arrested they should be charged with the young mans murder because they were directly responsible for the situation that lead to his death.

Darth_Andrea
Old 12-31-2017, 01:52 PM   #281
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Andrea View Post
Lets be clear here, while I wish the young man hadn't died the situation was setup for someone to get killed. Remember this was a swatting. The person who made the false report stated he was the only male in the house, he had shot his father in the head, and was holding his mother and sister hostage. He also claimed he poured gasoline all around the house and was going to ignite it. The cops when they arrived had all that information and were expecting a madman. The guy walked outside and the cops were shouting orders at him. At one point he had his hands in the air, but once they put a spotlight on him he lowered his hands and then raised them again. At which point he was shot. The officer thought that the guy was reaching for a gun from his waist band.

I hold no one at fault here. Given the information the cops had, given the situation,
and the young mans actions I totally understand the why's of what happened.

This was a fake report issued by a person who had a fake address for the real person they were trying to SWAT. Which lead to a complete break of all conventional rules simple because both the young man and his family were setup .. as were the cops in this situation. In the end the officer who pulled the trigger will be found justified given the situation and the information they had and the events. However when the person who made the false report is found and arrested they should be charged with the young mans murder because they were directly responsible for the situation that lead to his death.

Darth_Andrea
Juries don't want to convict cops of crimes, which makes everything worse, But I bet the family of the dead man will sue the police and get a hell of a lot of money out of them. And the cop's career is over too.

As for the creep who called in the report, he should die behind bars.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 12-31-2017 at 02:01 PM.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:01 PM   #282
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

The bad guys here aren't the cops. They are the good guys like they almost always are. I feel really bad for this police department. Cops put their lives on the line for us every day, amd most people are too stupid to understand that.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:10 PM   #283
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

This story actually hits very close to home for me. I experienced something similar to this man who was shot by police when a swat team of police responded to my house a few years ago because of a call they got that I couldnt make up if I tried. If I had done my first instinct when I answered the door I would be dead right now, and I would not blame the police based on their call.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:24 PM   #284
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
The bad guys here aren't the cops. They are the good guys like they almost always are. I feel really bad for this police department. Cops put their lives on the line for us every day, amd most people are too stupid to understand that.

Old 01-03-2018, 11:50 PM   #285
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Amazon and Google file patents to allow home assistance devices to spy on users, collect and sell data
Old 01-04-2018, 07:23 AM   #286
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

If I ever answer the door and cop shoots me because he's crapping in his pants with fear, I will own him and the department he works for. Or my survivors will. There's no excuse for that.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 01-04-2018 at 07:56 AM.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:52 PM   #287
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
If I ever answer the door and cop shoots me because he's crapping in his pants with fear, I will own him and the department he works for. Or my survivors will. There's no excuse for that.
So one night a few years ago, I was home sleeping. It was just me and my son in the house as my wife and daughter were away for the night. About 3am, I wake to the sounds of two male voices outside my window. I live out of town, so there is NO reason for anyone to be walking by my window in the middle of night out in the boonies. I shot up and my immediate thought was, is this it? Are drug addicts breaking into my house? I jumped out of bed and grabbed the keys to my gun cabinet. It was decision time as I only had seconds to arm myself if this was heading that way. Suddenly there was a strong knock at the door.

I don't know what it was, but SOMETHING told me to put my gun cabinet keys down. I think I just realized that crack heads aren't going to knock on my door at 3am with cars in the driveway, they are going to come in the middle of the day when people who work for a living are gone. For whatever reason, I think this decision saved my life.

I answered the door, and there was a swat team of cops on my porch, around my house, and up and down the street. The cop is asking me calmly and slowly to show my hands, and that there has been a call to my house. I showed them my hands and said I was confused but whatever they needed to do was cool. They had me step out on my porch, where they could clearly see me. I had a t shirt and shorts on so that made it easier for them to see I was unarmed.

The police explained to me they got a call that I had...get this...a BLOODY BODY HANGNG FROM AN UPSTAIRS WINDOW. The cop tells me that when they get this call, they have to think a guy has just killed their family and is baiting the cops into a gunfight with the body in the window. At this point I am like, holy fuck, it's just me and my son. My wife and daughter are away, how am I going to prove I didn't pull a nutty and kill them? My son is sleeping, will they scare the shit out of him? Will he get shot because he wakes up and does something to startle them? All this shit is now going through my head. I tell the cop my son is asleep on a recliner in the living room and please don't scare him. And where my wife and daughter are. I'm standing on the porch while the cops search around the outside of my house and go inside, which I gave them permission to do. I told them I completely get how scary this has to be for them every bit as it is for me. The cops are staying calm and seem to get there is SOME kind of misunderstanding.

A cop wakes my son, but he really had to wake him, to make sure he was okay and I wasn't some nut who had done something to him.

When it was over, the cops couldn't apologize enough to me. They felt really bad. They went to the house across the street to the guy who it turned out had actually MADE the call in the first place. It turns out the guy who had recently moved into the upstairs apartment was a drunk. And this night when he looked out his window, my son's light was on in his room and there was...a Spider-Man cardboard cutout display in his room. To this drunk asshat, that Spider-Man display of Spidey swinging on a web in my boy's room with the lights on looked to him like a bloody body hanging up in his window.

So it turns out, I almost died by cop because of a cardboard Spider-Man display I got my son.

To be honest, if I had opened the door holding a gun and got shot, to this day I would not blame the police. They answered the call with the info that they had, and I would totally understand if things went wrong from there. Not their fault.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:24 PM   #288
Space Cop
The Dandy

Well, there's your mistake. When they told you to put your hands up, you should have gone for that gun cabinet and your widow could've sued the PD for protecting themselves.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:25 PM   #289
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
Well, there's your mistake. When they told you to put your hands up, you should have gone for that gun cabinet and your widow could've sued the PD for protecting themselves.
She still rues the day!
Old 01-04-2018, 04:35 PM   #290
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Cops today are being tested for psychopathy, sadism and other undesirable traits. And that's great. But they also need to be tested for fear of physical danger. I think that's the biggest problem out there now.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:32 AM   #291
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Comcast fired 500 despite claiming tax cut would create thousands of jobs
Old 01-05-2018, 07:35 PM   #292
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

Quote:
Cops today are being tested for psychopathy, sadism and other undesirable traits. And that's great. But they also need to be tested for fear of physical danger. I think that's the biggest problem out there now.
physical harm as an ever-present fear is something that I'll say MOST members of law enforcement share, and they wouldn't be effective at their jobs if it *weren't* the case.

however the problem (IMO anyways) isn't whether or not theyre fearless, but that ppl seem to think that when the cops are sent to a location thats supposedly been the scene of some violence, its should be handled like as something akin to a nice -n- calm social call & then everything else will work out ok......and Im betting theres a lot of statistics which will show that NOT being the case.

:/

Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:02 PM   #293
Orion Pax
Iolande's Bodyguard

Man, and here I think the cops have way too little power. If that shit happened here, people would demand the copsīs head on a pike. Careers have ended for less than that.

Just today, a criminal died due to wounds in a shootout with the police in the hospital and the commissioner in charge of the case was made a defendant because people want to investigate what happened and that is standard protocol around here.
Old 01-08-2018, 12:13 AM   #294
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Austrian president forced to step in after New Year's baby subjected to racist online abuse
Old 01-08-2018, 11:58 AM   #295
Orion Pax
Iolande's Bodyguard

Really though people, going after a baby.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:49 PM   #296
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

This is so fucked up I don't even know how to describe it.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:13 PM   #297
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Man, they really eat their own
Old 01-11-2018, 12:17 AM   #298
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Floyd Mayweather redefines #MeToo movement to be entirely about himself
Old 01-11-2018, 08:04 AM   #299
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

That is so amazingly awesone. I love his answer, it's ironically more real than any of the phony self serving hollywood scumbag hypocrites that are hopping on this train at the moment.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:32 AM   #300
Maverick_GL

Send a message via MSN to Maverick_GL
Default :Moderator:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
That is so amazingly awesone. I love his answer, it's ironically more real than any of the phony self serving hollywood scumbag hypocrites that are hopping on this train at the moment.

At least he understands how out of touch he is. The whole #MeToo thing is nothing but virtue signalling garbage anyway. I mean, hell, "Me Too" if I want to look at it that way, but I don't like to make light of actual victims by lumping myself in their crowd for the sake of Facebook likes.

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman
Maverick_GL is offline   Reply With Quote