Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > General > General/About Us
FLASHCHAT

General

Old 10-22-2016, 01:06 AM   #1801
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
Not strictly DC Entertainment related but: AT&T IN TALKS TO BUY WARNER BROS. AND DC PARENT TIME WARNER
Looks like its pretty much a done deal:

AT&T agrees in principle to buy Time Warner for $85 billion
Peter Chernin Poised for Top Time Warner Role if $85 Billion AT&T Deal Closes
Old 10-24-2016, 03:41 AM   #1802
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Almost certainly reading too much into it but I found it interesting that Wan referred to Aquaman as "their movie".
Old 10-24-2016, 11:59 PM   #1803
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Amber Heard & Jason Momoa Have Crazy Chemistry In 'Aquaman' According To Director James Wan
Quote:
Wan says the film is like a hybrid of Raiders of the Lost Ark and 1984's Romancing the Stone. "I really want to get the classic action-adventure-romance aspect through that, and I think that’s kind of fun," he says. And by fun, he means playing up the hate-turned-love relationship between Aquaman and Mera, the queen of Atlantis.

"It starts off initially with them not quite clicking with each other," says Wan. "But then as the story progresses as they learn to try and work together, they get closer and closer. I think those stories are always such a great place for a filmmaker like myself to have fun with my actors." Their chemistry is going to be epic. I know it. Because their emotions are not to be messed with, and neither are they.

"I think that dynamic will be really interesting between the two. Amber’s character is super strong, she’s very powerful as well. You don’t wanna mess with her," Wan says. She'll definitely hold her own next to Aquaman, but watching love prevail between these two characters will be pretty amazing. "I think Amber will bring that sense of strength, but at the same time, we also want someone who has a sort of feminine quality to her as well. She’s a bit of a contrast to Momoa, who’s more of a muscular machine almost," says Wan.
Old 10-29-2016, 12:36 PM   #1804
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

‘Justice League Dark’: Doug Liman Teases His “Unconventional” Approach

Quote:
Yeah, I mean first of all, I love those characters, and I love Warner Bros., and I love [producer] Scott Rudin, and it’s — and you know, I get asked to come in and do things that are “unconventional.” If people want conventional, they don’t come to me. It’s why doing Invisible was like right up my alley — because how can you be conventional when there aren’t even conventions that exist? And so you know when Warner Bros. wants to sort of turn the comic book genre on its head, they call me.

Liman went on to say that part of what appeals to him about doing a comic book movie is the chance to take on the genre in way that no one has attempted it before. “I haven’t done a comic book film, and that’s — am I going to do it in a new way that’s unlike what anyone else has ever done,” said Liman, “and come up with a couple of rules for myself of what we’re not going to do that other people do.”
Old 10-31-2016, 11:26 PM   #1805
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

'The Flash' Movie Loses 'Dope' Director Rick Famuyiwa
Quote:
The Flash, Warner Bros.’ big-screen take on its speedster superhero, has lost its director.

Rick Famuyiwa, who made waves with his coming-of-age Sundance sensation Dope, has parted ways with the studio over "creative differences," The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Famuyiwa has been on board since June developing the project, even overseeing the castings of Kiersey Clemons and Billy Crudup in key roles.

The movie, which is to star Ezra Miller as Barry Allen, the Fastest Man Alive, was in preproduction as it headed toward a March 2017 start date with a release date of March 16, 2018.

The departure of Famuyiwa will likely mean the delay of the movie’s start of production and release as Miller has a commitment in July.

"When I was approached by Warner Bros and DC about the possibility of directing The Flash, I was excited about the opportunity to enter this amazing world of characters that I loved growing up, and still do to this day," said Famuyiwa in a statement to THR.

He added: "I was also excited to work with Ezra Miller, who is a phenomenal young actor. I pitched a version of the film in line with my voice, humor, and heart. While it’s disappointing that we couldn’t come together creatively on the project, I remain grateful for the opportunity. I will continue to look for opportunities to tell stories that speak to a fresh generational, topical, and multicultural point of view. I wish Warner Brothers, DC, Jon Berg, Geoff Johns, and Ezra Miller all the best as they continue their journey into the speed force."

Sources say that the Dope director’s vision of making a movie with more edge clashed with the studio’s take.

Famuyiwa is now the second director to leave Flash. He put on the helmer's sneakers after Seth Grahame-Smith, who wrote the script and was attached to direct, departed. (Grahame-Smith was working off a treatment by Phil Lord and Christopher Miller, who at one point were eyeing it as a possible directing vehicle.)
Old 10-31-2016, 11:28 PM   #1806
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Old 10-31-2016, 11:41 PM   #1807
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Quote:
WHAT THE FUCK
Old 11-01-2016, 12:01 AM   #1808
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

First major fuck up of the Johns/Berg era.
Old 11-01-2016, 01:29 AM   #1809
Fearless
Agent Orange

You can't take these movie execs anywhere... Jesus Christ, if you CAN'T KEEP A TALENTED DIRECTOR WHO WANTS TO WORK ON YOUR PROJECT, YOU'RE DOING SOMETHING WRONG!

DC, you have a chance NOT to be Marvel- to now stifle creativity and individuality as it comes through the door, looking for work. Don't be Marvel.

Last edited by Fearless; 11-01-2016 at 01:44 AM.
Fearless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 05:59 AM   #1810
W.West

“We have a great strategy for the DC films, which is to take these beloved characters and put them in the hands of master filmmakers and make sure they all coordinate with each other."

So, Seth was a shit choice to begin with and then they fixed it with Rik's potential. Now they've squandered that...they sure as all hell better find one of those MASTER FILMMAKERS to replace him.
Old 11-02-2016, 01:21 PM   #1811
Space Cop
The Dandy

My Batman: Caped Crusaders came with an insert for a survey from DC which expires on 2-1-2017. If any of you see or buy (you don't have to have done both, but you do have to have done one of them) the movie, you can participate at:

wba-community.com/BatmanRCC

It took me about 12 minutes. I only mention it because (1) whether they do a sequel is going to be based off sales and feedback from this one; (2) they ask a lot about your preferences for DC movies and how you hear about them.
Old 11-02-2016, 01:54 PM   #1812
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

I see from Amazon that this IS available in a DVD-only version. Good.

So, Space Cop, how does it compare to the original series? As much fun? As family friendly? I'm seriously considering getting it.
Old 11-02-2016, 02:41 PM   #1813
Robinson
Guardian Of The Universe

It's cheesy as all hell, actually made me not want to watch any 66 episodes at any point.
Old 11-02-2016, 03:10 PM   #1814
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
It's cheesy as all hell, actually made me not want to watch any 66 episodes at any point.
But do you generally enjoy '66 episodes? Because if not, then that could just be different tastes between us.
Old 11-02-2016, 04:24 PM   #1815
Robinson
Guardian Of The Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
But do you generally enjoy '66 episodes? Because if not, then that could just be different tastes between us.
I would watch them everyday as reruns after school in my younger days and I recognize the nostalgia act that this and the comics are going for but this just took the "gee golly" aspect to a new level and imo it just didn't work well.
Old 11-02-2016, 04:37 PM   #1816
Space Cop
The Dandy

I don't think it necessarily worked as well as the show, but I wasn't expecting it to. On the other hand, I think it was actually a little less campy than the show, though that's debatable. It's still campy (which is a plus for me).

It's about as family friendly as the show (and is rated rightfully PG), though there is one or maybe two references that can be taken as light double entendres. I would personally feel comfortable sharing it with kids and especially any that know and like the show.

The negatives were that most of the voices that aren't the original actors don't really sound like them (the Joker was the closest, imho). And there's no mistaking that the three stars are older (it kind of feels like they're talking slower). I was also disappointed that they kind of sampled the theme, but didn't actually do the whole thing (no singing).

Positives included West, Ward (who can only go so far in sounding like a teen), and Newmar's voices. It was also very cool that they did big things that show couldn't have (like a space station fight and a prison breakout with like a dozen villains). They also did some stuff to reference darker Batman but in a way that still makes sense (Batman is controlled for a chunk of it and his vigilante aspects are presented as evil). And some meta stuff (like Batman seeing three different versions of Catwoman when he's knocked out). He even quotes from the '89 movie at one point. There's also a utility belt battle, which I loved.

Last edited by Space Cop; 11-02-2016 at 04:39 PM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 06:51 PM   #1817
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

I probably the only one that doesn't really look at this as a bad thing. It really greatly depends on who gets the gig. I mean, lets say Tim Miller (director of Deadpool and DC Online trailer) is hired to direct The Flash flick. I'd be totally onboard with that.

Moreover, it tells me that WB/DC is taking more creative control over its Intellectual Property. After the poor critical reception of Batman v. Superman and Suicide Squad, the studio is trying to ensure a more lighter and hopeful tone for the films.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:46 PM   #1818
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

This could be a good thing, it could be a chance for WB to trash the entire thing and start completely from scratch on a Flash movie. Costume, script, cast, all of it!
Old 11-02-2016, 10:08 PM   #1819
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

I'm definitely in favor of a costume change for Ezra Miller's Flash. It looks like a Power Ranger and the head piece looks off.

Just keep the costume more simple like the TV show version.
Old 11-02-2016, 10:42 PM   #1820
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
This could be a good thing, it could be a chance for WB to trash the entire thing and start completely from scratch on a Flash movie. Costume, script, cast, all of it!
Except for the part where he'll still be in Justice League.
Old 11-02-2016, 11:16 PM   #1821
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Yeah, but I don't actually have a vested interest in the JL movie. With the Flash, I have a desire for it to be the best it can be.
Old 11-02-2016, 11:39 PM   #1822
Booster Beetle
Will break before he bends

Quote:
Except for the part where he'll still be in Justice League.
Easy fix, he sacrifices himself like in Crisis. Then they can bring in CW Flash.

Booster Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 01:25 AM   #1823
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Or if they aren't willing to Do Barry or Wally right, kill them off and create a new character that fits the movie they want to make. That Chinese chick on the Flash movie isn't Barry. Even Bart doesn't act like that, but he's the closest.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:47 AM   #1824
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

They still have something of an idea in mind for what they want in their films. To me all of the creative differences boils down to directors wanting to put too much of their own spin on certain elements and WB is veto'ing that shit before we get more convoluted messes like we've seen in the previous installments. IMHO, I think WB is testing the new approach with lighter elements in JL and hoping directors can run with that as a basis for their solo films. If they try to stray too far, that's when we get the parting over creative differences articles.

Makes me think back to Edgar Wright on Ant Man and how he lobbied the film for years only to part ways over creative differences. The end result was still an enjoyable flick, but it was still mostly based on his earlier direction of the film. I'd LOVE to see that guy take a crack at the Atom in a feature film.

As far as the Flash goes, this is just another iteration. I think somewhere it was mentioned he was kinda homeless, but it seems he's squatting and stealing power in an abandoned building somewhere in Central City. I get the impression he isn't a CSI guy, maybe still in college? And I can understand WB's approach, CW's Flash is younger and screams of being the answer to Marvel's everyday superhero Spiderman too. Even my kid said this [CW] take on the Flash made him seem a little too much like Peter Parker.

I have high hopes for Aquaman and whatever comes of Shazam. And I'm excited to see where another Superman film can go without Snyder being over it. If WB/DC makes it into a phase 2... THAT'S where things will get really interesting. Four years is a long ride though...

~M~
Ωmega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 01:56 AM   #1825
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

If they made Bruce Wayne a young hipster who lives in NYC with skinny jeans and a great sense of humor, blonde hair, blue eyes, glasses, and an interest in hacking computers, people would lose their shit.