Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > General > General/About Us
FLASHCHAT

General

Old 02-08-2016, 10:30 PM   #26
KilowogsDisciple
Green Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelous Iggy View Post
Kinda hard to make that call on the DC side of things when you haven't the line in almost five years.
Ah, that makes everything a LOT clearer.
KilowogsDisciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:32 PM   #27
Space Cop
The Dandy

I read no Marvel titles, maybe a dozen indies, and over 20 DC titles a month. I go for new comics every week (usually within an hour of them opening). I then read my comics in the bathroom throughout the week at a rough rate of two a day (when I buy more than 13 in a week, I read the overage by the end of Wednesday). When I finish early, I read back issues or trades to fill the time until Wednesday morning.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:08 AM   #28
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Andrew's asking price.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:16 AM   #29
havik
Torch Bearer

Send a message via Yahoo to havik

i hope this place doesn't go away, wish i had the money to buy it. while i do not read comics i have met some really good people here.
havik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 12:22 AM   #30
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Its not going anywhere.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:24 AM   #31
havik
Torch Bearer

look at west with the big bucks
Old 02-09-2016, 12:48 AM   #32
IonFan
Forum Member

forget you MP-05 i am not trolling, h@ll unless i've got something to say i hardly post anything now a days

so forget you sir

IonFan says

Quote:
F**k all the "Haters" 3 years in and i still support our dear leader, one Donald J. Trump
IonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:44 AM   #33
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonFan View Post
forget you MP-05 i am not trolling, h@ll unless i've got something to say i hardly post anything now a days

so forget you sir
Old 02-09-2016, 02:34 PM   #34
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelous Iggy View Post
Kinda hard to make that call on the DC side of things when you haven't the line in almost five years.
but U know exactly *why* that's so, and its not like Im the only person who's found the DCNU less than satisfactory given the comments made here & the fact that a great chunk (if not most) of the books to come from the FP-reboot have gone bye-bye......

amirite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilowogsDisciple View Post
Ah, that makes everything a LOT clearer.
not exactly: up until late 2014 I had a roommate who continued reading DC even after the waste-of-paper that was Flashpoint, and Id peruse his comix every so often just to see wtf was going (much like why I keep posting on *this* board, even tho I no longer read the title and I'll always be GL-fan, regardless.......), only to continuously be (sadly) re-affirmed in my decision to leave the current universe framework alone.

Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 02:48 PM   #35
KilowogsDisciple
Green Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazer View Post
Yo.

but U know exactly *why* that's so, and its not like Im the only person who's found the DCNU less than satisfactory given the comments made here & the fact that a great chunk (if not most) of the books to come from the FP-reboot have gone bye-bye......

amirite?

not exactly: up until late 2014 I had a roommate who continued reading DC even after the waste-of-paper that was Flashpoint, and Id peruse his comix every so often just to see wtf was going (much like why I keep posting on *this* board, even tho I no longer read the title and I'll always be GL-fan, regardless.......), only to continuously be (sadly) re-affirmed in my decision to leave the current universe framework alone.

Tazer
Well, I'm grateful you took the time to explain, but that doesn't change the fact that you are, essentially, out of touch. Have you even checked out the Darkseid War/Justice League ongoing from last year? The latest run of Martian Manhunter? If not, you're missing great stuff, some of the best imo. And yeah, REALLY missing out.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:50 PM   #36
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

I personally was not all that impressed by Darkseid War, but perhaps I am just suffering from Darkseid fatigue. I was never that big a fan of him, and feel like he is overused. I mean, sure, it helps that Darkseid himself doesn't seem to play much of a role in Darkseid War, but it still isn't really grabbing me. Good art, though.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:01 PM   #37
Space Cop
The Dandy

You're making me think I'll have to pick up Martin when it hits trade (don't want to start on the floppies at this late point).
Old 02-09-2016, 03:14 PM   #38
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
Its not going anywhere.

This place is like my morning coffee. I need it to start my day. And then I come back on my breaks and lunch.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:14 PM   #39
KilowogsDisciple
Green Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
You're making me think I'll have to pick up Martin when it hits trade (don't want to start on the floppies at this late point).
If you mean J'onn then that's coming soon. But the story continues to be great: fun, creative, and even with some depth. So the collected will mean you'll miss out on at least one issue in this ongoingly great arc.

I think...to single just ONE title out of all DC today that shows real imagination and willingness to tell a super good story, I'd have to pick MM right off the bat. I actually like it better than the "Son of Mars" Ostrander arc, if that helps.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:19 PM   #40
Lundonj
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

Quote:

Always impossible to argue taste. I learned that much owning a comic shop for over a decade. It is kind of fun arguing quality for a living, and the result was always the same. It is a no win scenario.

A bit like arguing about how someone is feeling or should be feeling about anything. I learned that one by trying to explain to my wife about when she isn't really angry. It gets worse.

Anyway, objectively and subjectively, you're missing on some good books. But I get it. I have been fried on ALL comics a couple times and I took breaks. Sometimes 1-2 years, once for five years. And then I jumped back in and caught up.

If you hate the current stuff, more power to you.

It doesn't make you right, just right for you.

I've read every GL comic. Ever.

The current run is honestly right down the middle, pretty mediocre. Better than some of the goofy elements of the Silver Age, better art than some of the Bronze age and slower paced than ever. Venditti is a solid sci-fi writer, sometimes misses the characterization mark, not quite as fun as the Geoff Johns era to me.

GLC is all over the place, but that's editorial trying to find their backside with a flashlight. At least I love EVS art and currently the Corps looks really good, with a decent stand alone story in the new mini-series.

My very favorite is not a DC or Marvel book, Robert Kirkman's Invincible, one of the most entertaining and fun superhero series I've ever read. Snyder is as good as anyone who has written Batman (and I love Denny O'Neill), Jason Aaron at Marvel could write anything and I would read it, very talented writer, I just have to pick my spots carefully before jumping on any series.

-Don
Old 02-09-2016, 04:07 PM   #41
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundonj View Post
Always impossible to argue taste. I learned that much owning a comic shop for over a decade. It is kind of fun arguing quality for a living, and the result was always the same. It is a no win scenario.

A bit like arguing about how someone is feeling or should be feeling about anything. I learned that one by trying to explain to my wife about when she isn't really angry. It gets worse.

Anyway, objectively and subjectively, you're missing on some good books. But I get it. I have been fried on ALL comics a couple times and I took breaks. Sometimes 1-2 years, once for five years. And then I jumped back in and caught up.

If you hate the current stuff, more power to you.

It doesn't make you right, just right for you.
honestly, I can respect (and agree for the most part) w/this.......but the only thing an objective take on my viewpoint leads me to think would be that atleast Id still be reading GL, but than that would be the same as spending time on an excerise I didn't actually enjoy. and Ive already done that b4 comic-wise, and don't wish to do so again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundonj View Post
I've read every GL comic. Ever.
respect, poozer.

Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:21 PM   #42
Lundonj
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

Quote:

honestly, I can respect (and agree for the most part) w/this.......but the only thing an objective take on my viewpoint leads me to think would be that atleast Id still be reading GL, but than that would be the same as spending time on an excerise I didn't actually enjoy. and Ive already done that b4 comic-wise, and don't wish to do so again.
I didn't mean to suggest you should jump in now and read stuff you don't enjoy. I'm just saying if and when you decide to put your toe in the water, there are some good books out there. Until then, go where the surf takes you.

Quote:
respect, poozer.

I didn't make any money in the comic biz, but I did get to read 'professionally' everyday. A fairly nice silver lining...
Old 02-09-2016, 05:29 PM   #43
KilowogsDisciple
Green Lantern

I have a job that I finish up at home in a few hours a day (yes, I'm lucky as hell). Rest of the day I'm reading books and comics, listening to music, watching movies.

My take is that this is a great forum where I've learned a ton about my favorite superheroes. It's also one of the most troll-free on the internet, which is saying one hell of a lot in its favor. It would suck bad to see it shut down.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:37 PM   #44
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
Plus vBulletin has regular hosting fees, doesn't it?
No, none. And the server it's on is only $10.00 a month.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 02:21 AM   #45
havik
Torch Bearer

just ten bucks a month ?
Old 02-11-2016, 10:55 PM   #46
TheGoatLantern
Beta-Lantern

Is the matter resolved? Or are you still looking for a buyer?

She blinded me with SCIENCE!
TheGoatLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 03:06 AM   #47
havik
Torch Bearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoatLantern View Post
Is the matter resolved? Or are you still looking for a buyer?
i sent a pm and have not yet heard anything back.
Old 02-12-2016, 03:19 AM   #48
Space Cop
The Dandy

My take on this was that it wasn't an immediate "situation" so much as a willingness to give over the reins to a willing buyer.
Old 02-12-2016, 04:14 AM   #49
TheGoatLantern
Beta-Lantern

So not a time sensitive issue, got it. I propose a group buy on the domain, I've got some ideas to widen the footprint of the site...

She blinded me with SCIENCE!
TheGoatLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 02:55 PM   #50
havik
Torch Bearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoatLantern View Post
So not a time sensitive issue, got it. I propose a group buy on the domain, I've got some ideas to widen the footprint of the site...
If not a group buy i think the new owner should listen to new ideas i have a few myself