The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 5
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 5
View Poll Results: Green Lantern #47
* 1 14.29%
** 0 0%
*** 1 14.29%
**** 4 57.14%
***** 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-29-2015, 05:06 PM   #1
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Default Green Lantern #47 *Previews/Spoilers*

Green Lantern #47 Previews
Writer: Robert Venditti
Artist: Martin Coccolo

Old 12-02-2015, 10:43 PM   #2
Maverick_GL

Send a message via MSN to Maverick_GL
Default :Moderator:

Holy. Shit.

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman
Maverick_GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 02:23 PM   #3
EmeraldGladiator
Manhunter Repairman

Default Only one complaint

It is a storyline I have wanted for quite some time, Hal at home and the looming Par(Hal)lax threat so the only complaint I have about this is the art, could have been better so I gave it 4 stars. If handled right this could be the storyline that takes this GL writer from meh, to one of the favorites (up there with Gerard Jones and Geoff Johns). If DC wants the GL franchise back up and thriving, they need to bring back Ivan on the title, instead of using him to prop up sales on books like Cyborg and Aquaman that probably wouldn't survive without him there. Or EVS or bring Darryl Banks out of retirement or lure Alan Davis back from Marvel, heck Phil Jimmenez and Gary Frank aren't up to anything and they are under DC contract. I am happy that DC brought EVS back for Edge of Oblivion and hopefully he can stay on the Corps title afterwards, to be honest I like Jesus Saiz' work on Lost Army and wouldn't mind him as the co-artist on GL. First and foremost however is Ivan Reis my all time favorite GL artist.
EmeraldGladiator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 02:51 PM   #4
Space Cop
The Dandy

My favorite issue in quite a while. The terrestrial setting certainly helped. And the bum got a haircut!

Still just giving it three because of the art mostly, but also because I reserve 4 stars for some of the best GL books (5 I would only give to the handful of best comics of all time).
Old 12-03-2015, 04:02 PM   #5
"Chosen"
NOT his black friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post

Still just giving it three because of the art mostly, but also because I reserve 4 stars for some of the best GL books (5 I would only give to the handful of best comics of all time).
the art was good imo, except for tan's pages
"Chosen" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 05:10 PM   #6
Booster Beetle
Will break before he bends

I'm pumped he's back, but I'm positive this is going to end up being disappointing....

Booster Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:32 PM   #7
"Chosen"
NOT his black friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booster Beetle View Post
I'm pumped he's back, but I'm positive this is going to end up being disappointing....
as long as venditti is writing, you know it will be.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:31 AM   #8
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Picked this up based off the good buzz I saw online. While I've pretty much been uninterested in Venditti's run since the beginning I actually enjoyed this issue.

Not getting my hopes up however since I assume Booster will end up being correct.
Old 12-04-2015, 03:12 AM   #9
Space Cop
The Dandy

I expect the rest of the Sonar arc to be decent, but have no particular expectations beyond.
Old 12-04-2015, 05:20 AM   #10
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

It was fine. It was nice to see Jim again, and having Sonar back as a major villain again, is something I've been looking forward to for a while.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:49 PM   #11
Lundonj
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

Most of the New 52 run has put me to sleep, but I really liked this last issue. It either sets up a fascinating finish, or makes the whole thing worse than before.

It is around issue 50, so Parallax seems like the retro go to move. There are some unresolved bits with Hal in this guise, and it has some potential, even if it is short lived.

-Don
Lundonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 11:16 PM   #12
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundonj View Post
Most of the New 52 run has put me to sleep, but I really liked this last issue. It either sets up a fascinating finish, or makes the whole thing worse than before.

It is around issue 50, so Parallax seems like the retro go to move. There are some unresolved bits with Hal in this guise, and it has some potential, even if it is short lived.

-Don
I didn't even think about that, but you're right. "Emerald Twilight" was what issues 47-49 with Kyle debuting in #50 of series 3?
Old 12-06-2015, 05:27 AM   #13
Spectremjm
Corps Honor Guard

Send a message via Yahoo to Spectremjm

It was 48-50. So every 50th issue since volume 3 has had Parallax in it.

I'm dead, yet I live. I have no identity. Yet I know
who I am. And once again I've been given power enough
to change the world. This time, Lord...
Let me be worthy."
Spectremjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 06:14 AM   #14
Maverick_GL

I'm guessing issues #48-49 will be Hal dealing with Sonar, then Parallax will come into play issue #50. I'm actually pretty excited to see what happens with this comic in the near future, first time in a long time I've felt that.

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman
Old 12-06-2015, 11:18 AM   #15
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectremjm View Post
It was 48-50. So every 50th issue since volume 3 has had Parallax in it.
Three issues. They did the fall of Hal, rise of Parallax, and destruction of the whole GLC and GotU in three issues. Can you imagine? If it were now, that would be a 12 or more maxi-issue event.
Old 12-06-2015, 01:22 PM   #16
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Three issues. They did the fall of Hal, rise of Parallax, and destruction of the whole GLC and GotU in three issues. Can you imagine? If it were now, that would be a 12 or more maxi-issue event.
Heck, it probably would have been that THEN, if they hadn't thought it up at the last second and changed gears to cram it in before the landmark 50th issue. It was so last second that Issue 48 was actually delayed an entire month because they had to start it from scratch too late to make the deadline.

In fact, if you think about it, they then decided, in short order, to rework an already planned, universe-wide, multi-issue, HUGE event, to make an expansion on Hal's fall an integral component of it. Zero Hour as originally planned did not involve Parallax at all...
Old 12-06-2015, 07:07 PM   #17
Maverick_GL

Quote:
If it were now, that would be a 12 or more maxi-issue event.
Which could possibly have been one of the best stories in comics to date, if done right. Could have been DCs version of the Phoenix Saga almost.

Old 12-07-2015, 01:56 PM   #18
EmeraldGladiator
Manhunter Repairman

Default Opportunity lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick_GL View Post
Which could possibly have been one of the best stories in comics to date, if done right. Could have been DCs version of the Phoenix Saga almost.
Yep Maverick, it could have been DC's Dark Phoenix Saga, and could have given DC something that neither they or Marvel have ever had, an established hero that actually went villain or at best antihero before our eyes and stay there. We were told of Charles and Magneto's friendship before but we initially knew him as Magneto. Having Parallax go up against the JLA that he helped form would have made for great story telling, not because he was 'evil' but because he wanted to make things 'better' in a different way than they were willing to accept. Since I don't think that this Parallax is new 52's Hal, it won't have the same gravitas, but DC is in need of Apex (Thanos level) super villains since the Anti-Monitor is one note and Darkseid is 'dead'.
Old 12-07-2015, 04:31 PM   #19
Booster Beetle
Will break before he bends

I could be wrong but I'm guessing this is the Parallax from the old DC Universe that showed up in Convergence

Booster Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 04:55 PM   #20
"Chosen"
NOT his black friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booster Beetle View Post
I could be wrong but I'm guessing this is the Parallax from the old DC Universe that showed up in Convergence
it is
Old 12-08-2015, 05:07 AM   #21
EmeraldGladiator
Manhunter Repairman

If this is old universe Hal then a showdown with Lois and Clark Superman would be mind blowing as well, since they are both in new 52 space now.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:29 AM   #22
Highball2814
Corps Recruit

This issue had good elements, but was not written well, nor was it drawn well. The Parallax thing is cool, but I am not expecting it to pan out to be a satisfying story. Ever since Johns and crew left the books have struggled. The only good story telling was by Van Jensen.

I am glad to see Jim and the family. I am so glad Hal got his haircut, but Jim not wanting his son to have long hair doesn't ring true for someone who grew up and lives in So Cal and near the beach. No matter how straight laced he is, long hair is just excepted here.

I am curious to see if Sonar will actually be a credible villain. It shouldn't be hard to weaponize his skill set better, but he's just been laughable in the past. I think he could be formidable if he's written well.
Highball2814 is offline   Reply With Quote