The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 3
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 3
View Poll Results: What did you think of Hal's gray temples?
Liked them 51 50.50%
Disliked them 32 31.68%
No opinion 18 17.82%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-27-2009, 10:59 PM   #26
Green Lantern Initiate

Send a message via AIM to 304 Send a message via Yahoo to 304

Johns is Parallax...good point! He is rewriting history so things "can be better"...which is subjective.

yes, Hal's grey temples were hinted at Parallax getting a foothold in his psyche...but he went grey in the 80s didn't he? Thats a long damn foothold...especially since Sinestro hadn't been in the CPB for that long to influence Parallax into getting his foothold in...

I agree though. I never was a huge GL fan, I was drifting towards Superman, in the 90s because Hal looked old enough to be my grandpa...the grey temples and the obviously older lines in his face just made him impossible for me to relate to...which is why I liked Kyle...chronilogically speaking Kyle was most likely 20 or so when he recieved the ring...which is why he seemed so immature, young looking and in awe of Superman and the League...which is also what made Kyle a fun character, cause we got to watch him grow up in all aspects.

I didn't like the grey temples in Hal, but I loved them in Parallax...made him seem wiser. Plus, did anyone notice how old he looked when he faced off against Cyborg Superman ??
304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:05 PM   #27
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by 304 View Post
yes, Hal's grey temples were hinted at Parallax getting a foothold in his psyche...but he went grey in the 80s didn't he? Thats a long damn foothold...especially since Sinestro hadn't been in the CPB for that long to influence Parallax into getting his foothold in...
Actually, he had. Sinestro ended up in the CPB at the end of Vol. 2. Hal had the grey temples from the beginning of Vol. 3.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:09 PM   #28
Green Lantern Initiate

But if Hal was the Greatest Green Lantern, wouldn't it take more than the short amount of time between Vol.2 and Vol.3 to get such a grip on him? To affect the man who is suppose to "overcome great fear"?
Old 08-27-2009, 11:21 PM   #29
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 304 View Post
But if Hal was the Greatest Green Lantern, wouldn't it take more than the short amount of time between Vol.2 and Vol.3 to get such a grip on him? To affect the man who is suppose to "overcome great fear"?
Such a grip? It turned some of his hair grey. And maybe colored his thinking a bit. It didn't get "such a grip" until Coast City was destroyed. And the whole idea was that it was a subtle effect. No matter how iron a will you have, it is difficult to bring it to bear against an enemy whose existence you are unaware of. (And bear in mind that, in Rebirth it took FAR LESS time for Parallax to get a much STRONGER grip on John, Guy, and Kilowog, with Kyle resisting due to his unique (among those GLs, anyway) ability to actually FEEL fear.)

And frankly, I don't really know how much time there was between the end of Vol. 2 and the beginning of Vol. 3. Quite a lot of stuff happened in that interval. Several months at least, I would estimate, but you know comic book time...

Last edited by Mister Ed; 08-27-2009 at 11:25 PM.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:27 PM   #30
Mister Ed

Personally, I never had a problem with the grey hair, though it WAS a bit odd that Hal was the only hero of his generation who was showing any real signs of aging.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:32 PM   #31
Green Lantern Initiate

They experiemented with making the heroes older in Kingdom Come. I still didn't care for it...

I think that they should all stay in their early 30s except for the JSA, I think that their should be a mentoring affect for some of the others.

Like in WANTED when Alan Scott just commands attention from Hal, I thought that was a powerful statement.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:47 PM   #32
Colonel Xonic
The Butcher

Send a message via Skype™ to Colonel Xonic

Point is Hal + Grey= Bad
Hal + Parallax + Grey= Good
KC Supes looks pretty good with the grey temples.
Colonel Xonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 12:05 AM   #33
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

My attitude about it was that you had younger Lanterns in Guy, John and later Kyle. So it was not harmful for Hal to be older, and it gave him a gravitas that I liked.

I think Geoff has kind of gone off-track. Hal has been Parallax and the Spectre, and he's possessed all the power of the Central Power Battery. I think those experiences should have aged him, and I mean that in a good way.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 12:27 AM   #34
Green Lantern Initiate

Some are forgetting, I think, that the reason why they did what they did with Hal and brought in Kyle was to shake things up and attract a younger audience...they needed big events *i.e. Death Of Superman, Emerald Twilight, Broken Bat* to boost sales and they needed to attract younger readers.

They did it with Batman by giving Robin is own book and making a new, edgier Batman

They did it with Superman by bringing in the Supermen and Superboy

and they did it with GL by bringing in Kyle.

Point is...to have Hal come back as in his 40s again, that would've destroyed the point of the past 10 years of GL comics...attract younger readers.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:37 PM   #35
everflight
Corpse Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantern2814.20850 View Post
Dick Grayson, Jason Todd, Tim Drake Stephanie Brown* and now Damien Wayne

*Stephanie on her "Death-bed" asked Bruce if she was ever really Robin or if it was just a ploy to get Tim to come back Batman told her she was truly Robin for that time
Technically, Bruce only did go through four Robins as Damien didn't get the nod 'til Dick took over but the general public doesn't know Batman is now the former Nightwing

Don't know why I wasn't thinking about Damien, guess I was stuck on Bruce's Robins
everflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:21 AM   #36
twoeightonefour
Weaponer of Qward

I didn't mind them but felt they only worked if he age progressed along with the other Silver Age heroes. I didn't like them when you saw Batman, Wonder Woman or Superman looking like they are in the late 20s. One thing I loved about GL is the history to it so I wouldn't mind a Grey templed Hal and a Salt/Peppered John to show the history and progression along with Guy and Kyle but it just doesn't work when you tie him to other heroes. I'm glad they are gone.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:57 PM   #37
Limelantern
Better than both the Salami and the Bologna combined

Send a message via Skype™ to Limelantern

That was my complaint

Hal got older, but Superman, Wonderwoman, Batman, and the rest of the DCU stayed young.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:54 PM   #38
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

I never had a problem with Reed Richards' gray temples. He doesn't seem extremely old to me, just... hmm... distinguished. I got to know Green Lantern as a concept during the "Hal had gray temples" era, so that's how it stuck with me. I'm not angry they're gone, but if they had stayed, that would have been okay with me.
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:58 PM   #39
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Hal's grey temples was good for the story at the time (Emerald Twilight) and the Parallax infestation explanation was feasible. As mentioned by a few others, if the rest of the DCU aged with him, fine but you can't have an aged Hal while everyone else stays the same. As of now, I like Hal without the grey. Besides, I associate the grey temples with mad, power-hungry villains like Vandal Savage and Ra's Al Ghul.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:43 PM   #40
jGLZa
Guy's Drinking Buddy

if its true that Hal got is grey temples from Parallax or that Parallax just added abit more grey, then I think its good that he still has it.

Wait for it nw, here I go reading too much into a situation:
its kinda fair to say that Parallax was a bad guy, so mayb the grey temples remaining are a permanent reminder to Hal of all the bad things he did as Parallax and how he gave into his own fears.

but I reckon the grey has in fact gotten smaller since Rebirth.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:46 PM   #41
James Hunter

I actually liked Hal's greying temples (of course I also liked him as Parallax...)

They made him look more distinguished and showed he was just entering early middle age (as he should be)

Cheers.

James.
Old 11-27-2009, 07:42 PM   #42
ion.nai
existential absurdist

Send a message via MSN to ion.nai

Parallax being the cause for his gray hair is just lame. I would have much preferred it if we saw a panel where Hal was in his bathroom and there was a box of Just For Men on his sink counter top.

I think Rebirth is a great story and very well written... but there are a lot of nonsensical aspects to Hal's return.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:19 AM   #43
tommyofshaolin
Green Lantern Initiate

actually Hal should only be about 35 in comic book age right?
tommyofshaolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 03:20 PM   #44
Shingo Wol

I didnt like it.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:02 PM   #45
Levy
Fatality's Blacksmith

as shallow as it might sound, I find him hotter with grey temples.
Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:11 PM   #46
-//V\\-
Guardian of the Universe

I liked that it was explained it was the first signs of Parallax taking over. Hal Jordan ain't no Reed Richards. I didn't care for them.

~KL~

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world." - Albert Einstein
-//V\\- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:14 AM   #47
Cyber Bishop
Fatality's Blacksmith

Send a message via AIM to Cyber Bishop Send a message via MSN to Cyber Bishop Send a message via Yahoo to Cyber Bishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffi.Kaiser View Post
Dont like them with his GL run, but with Parallax I thought they came off well

I agree.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:53 PM   #48
Onabyrcse
Corpse Trainee

I liked the grey hair, made him looked more expirienced. Remember gray hair can get to you in your late 20+, so it doesn't matter how hal was he could have gray hair.
Onabyrcse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:18 AM   #49
maltesefalcon
Kilowog's Recruit

it makes me think of keanu reeves in bram stokers dracula
Old 05-14-2010, 02:25 AM   #50
RedRage916

i alwise just thought he was like prematuraly aged but i never read the old ones so i just assumed paralax did that to him