Hal's gray temples

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dr. Naysay View Post
    Batman can go through three Robins... but Green Lantern can't get a little bit older?
    I think you mean 5...but yeah, it is weird.

Comment

Originally posted by Requiem View Post
      I think you mean 5...but yeah, it is weird.
      Dick Grayson, Jason Todd and Tim Drake...

I'll give you one more for that girl who was Robin in "The Dark Knight Returns" but who is the 5th?

Comment

When he had semi-straight hair as Parallax it looked good, but the really long-ish curly stuff... no.

Comment

Dick Grayson, Jason Todd, Tim Drake Stephanie Brown* and now Damien Wayne

*Stephanie on her "Death-bed" asked Bruce if she was ever really Robin or if it was just a ploy to get Tim to come back Batman told her she was truly Robin for that time
          Technically, Bruce only did go through four Robins as Damien didn't get the nod 'til Dick took over but the general public doesn't know Batman is now the former Nightwing
          Green Lantern Unlimited!

Comment

I couldn't help but notice all the posts about Hal getting older-- Hal's age wasn't the reason for the gray hair. The reason was that Parallax had infected Hal before-hand, and the gray hair was a sign of fear (At least that's how Geoff explained it...)

Comment

Originally posted by fearless2814.1 View Post
              I couldn't help but notice all the posts about Hal getting older-- Hal's age wasn't the reason for the gray hair. The reason was that Parallax had infected Hal before-hand, and the gray hair was a sign of fear (At least that's how Geoff explained it...)
              True, but when the hair first appeared it was due to age. The gray was never added with Parallax in mind.
              "Don't disturb my circles."

Comment

Who cares? The whole age concept has been Geoff-conned anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by fearless2814.1 View Post
                  Who cares? The whole age concept has been Geoff-conned anyway.
                  I love how Mr. Johns makes it his mission to rewrite the history of GL as he sees fit. Much like Parallax Hal tried to re write the history of the universe.
                  "Don't disturb my circles."

Comment

lol Good point

Comment

Originally posted by Lantern2814.20850 View Post
                      Dick Grayson, Jason Todd, Tim Drake Stephanie Brown* and now Damien Wayne

*Stephanie on her "Death-bed" asked Bruce if she was ever really Robin or if it was just a ploy to get Tim to come back Batman told her she was truly Robin for that time
                      Technically, Bruce only did go through four Robins as Damien didn't get the nod 'til Dick took over but the general public doesn't know Batman is now the former Nightwing
                      Well I was talking about when Hal had the white hair... which was about the time Tim Drake showed up.

Comment

Johns is Parallax...good point! He is rewriting history so things "can be better"...which is subjective.

yes, Hal's grey temples were hinted at Parallax getting a foothold in his psyche...but he went grey in the 80s didn't he? Thats a long damn foothold...especially since Sinestro hadn't been in the CPB for that long to influence Parallax into getting his foothold in...

I agree though. I never was a huge GL fan, I was drifting towards Superman, in the 90s because Hal looked old enough to be my grandpa...the grey temples and the obviously older lines in his face just made him impossible for me to relate to...which is why I liked Kyle...chronilogically speaking Kyle was most likely 20 or so when he recieved the ring...which is why he seemed so immature, young looking and in awe of Superman and the League...which is also what made Kyle a fun character, cause we got to watch him grow up in all aspects.

I didn't like the grey temples in Hal, but I loved them in Parallax...made him seem wiser. Plus, did anyone notice how old he looked when he faced off against Cyborg Superman ??

Comment

Originally posted by 304 View Post
                          yes, Hal's grey temples were hinted at Parallax getting a foothold in his psyche...but he went grey in the 80s didn't he? Thats a long damn foothold...especially since Sinestro hadn't been in the CPB for that long to influence Parallax into getting his foothold in...
                          Actually, he had. Sinestro ended up in the CPB at the end of Vol. 2. Hal had the grey temples from the beginning of Vol. 3.

Comment

But if Hal was the Greatest Green Lantern, wouldn't it take more than the short amount of time between Vol.2 and Vol.3 to get such a grip on him? To affect the man who is suppose to "overcome great fear"?

Comment

Originally posted by 304 View Post
                              But if Hal was the Greatest Green Lantern, wouldn't it take more than the short amount of time between Vol.2 and Vol.3 to get such a grip on him? To affect the man who is suppose to "overcome great fear"?
                              Such a grip? It turned some of his hair grey. And maybe colored his thinking a bit. It didn't get "such a grip" until Coast City was destroyed. And the whole idea was that it was a subtle effect. No matter how iron a will you have, it is difficult to bring it to bear against an enemy whose existence you are unaware of. (And bear in mind that, in Rebirth it took FAR LESS time for Parallax to get a much STRONGER grip on John, Guy, and Kilowog, with Kyle resisting due to his unique (among those GLs, anyway) ability to actually FEEL fear.)

And frankly, I don't really know how much time there was between the end of Vol. 2 and the beginning of Vol. 3. Quite a lot of stuff happened in that interval. Several months at least, I would estimate, but you know comic book time...
                              Mister Ed
                              Horse of a Different Color
                              Last edited by Mister Ed; 08-27-2009, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Personally, I never had a problem with the grey hair, though it WAS a bit odd that Hal was the only hero of his generation who was showing any real signs of aging.

Comment

Working...
                                X