The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > General > General/About Us
FLASHCHAT

General

Old 04-20-2010, 02:58 AM   #76
Kuhan

Send a message via ICQ to Kuhan Send a message via AIM to Kuhan Send a message via MSN to Kuhan Send a message via Yahoo to Kuhan Send a message via Skype™ to Kuhan

Yeah, the first thing I thought was "Go Go Dalek Rangers"

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
DID ANYONE READ THE ARTICLE?!!!!!!
Kuhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 02:21 PM   #77
Lindsay

Hey guys -- now that we've all seen the first episode, here's a great extra from the BBC America website.

"Doctor Who Confidential" is a cool behind-the-scenes look at each individual episode. These aren't quite as long as the UK version, but there is still a ton of cool intel behind "The Eleventh Hour".

You can check it out here: http://bbcamerica.com/shows/doctor-w...id=77794975001

Enjoy!
Old 10-12-2010, 09:05 PM   #78
methos
Kyle's Backup Artist

Send a message via MSN to methos Send a message via Skype™ to methos

Every "Whovian" knows, the Doctor cannot last for ever: Time Lords are able to regenerate only 12 times before they die.

Fans have always thought that the 13th doctor would be the last, thanks to a 1976 Doctor Who episode, The Deadly Assassin, featuring Tom Baker as the Doctor in his fourth incarnation, and revealing for the first time the regeneration limit. But a passing comment in a children's television programme later this month is set to rewrite history and cast the Doctor, iconic hero of the world's most successful and longest-running science fiction series, as immortal.

The moment comes in the CBBC spin-off show, The Sarah Jane Adventures, which stars former companion Elisabeth Sladen as Sarah Jane Smith. Matt Smith, who plays the current Doctor Who, guest stars in a two-part episode called The Death of the Doctor, to be screened on October 25 and 26. While the Doctor and Clyde Langer, played by Daniel Anthony, are in the process of outwitting spooky vulture undertakers the Shansheeth, Clyde asks how many times he can regenerate. The Doctor indicates that there is no limit. The action continues.

Fans of the show have been expecting an official moving of the goalposts for some time, but it was anticipated as part of the Christmas special, rather than in an after-school slot on the CBBC channel.

Back in 1976, 12 regenerations must have felt like a safely distant number to pluck from the ether. Now, however, with Smith playing the character in his 11th incarnation, circumventing the rule has begun to feel rather urgent. As JK Rowling hinted last week, once a hero has conquered the world, it is hard to put him away for good: we may also see an extension to the seven-book Harry Potter franchise, despite its very final ending and Nineteen Years Later epilogue.

And with the Doctor Who brand constantly expanding (including spin-offs that range from lunchboxes to the Doctor Who Live show currently on a 25-date, nine-city tour) it was hardly likely that the BBC was going to call time on the series.

It was a stroke of PR genius to slip the hotly anticipated fudging of the Doctor's longevity into a children's series: the episodes are now sure to draw in the viewers. However, Whovians (famously likened by Sarah Jane creator Russell T Davies to a swarm of mosquitoes) will be disappointed that there is no technical reason given for the change: it is simply stated in passing.

Whovian Simon says: "Many of us old-timers have looked forward to the story that addresses the end of the Doctor's life span. I'm gutted that it appears that something so integral to the show's long-term storyline has been passed over in this way."

The BBC would not say whether there would be any further explanation. "We never comment on future storylines for Doctor Who," said a spokeswoman, only confirming the fact that The Doctor can now regenerate as many times as he wishes.

M
Old 10-14-2010, 09:42 PM   #79
Jack-O-Lantern
Master Customizer

I suppose this makes sense. I may be wrong but, wasn't there some kind of Time Lord Sanction (the High Council) that granted the number of regenerations a Time Lord/Gallifreyian could have? Such as when the Master was resurrected during the Time War and then again later with the Elixer of Life. If this was true, then with the Time Lords gone and Gallifrey destroyed, it would leave the Doctor free to regenerate as many times as he wishes. Within his physical capabilities of coming back that is.
Jack-O-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:16 PM   #80
Morph
Green Lantern

It's only been in the past 4 months that I've really become a Dr. Who fan. I did my searching around and I've been watching almost every Dr. Who episode. (yes....all of them. Found a place that had all the oldies). I just started with the most current Dr. last night.

I'm disappointed that they decided to "do it in passing". I would rather have seen them come to a climax at #13. I dunno, something crazy like bring back all the doctors they could and together they somehow reset him back to 0 allowing for the 13 regenerations to start over again. Making him immortal just seems too easy I guess. Plus the word "immortal" just doesn't work for me when you mention Dr. Who because he can die. Yes, yes he does regenerate, but still immortal seems too easy.

While we're at it, I have a question that I'm hoping someone could shed some light on. In the last couple episodes (David Tennant as Dr.) when he and the Master are fighting against the council of Gallifrey.... who are the two that opposed? Most specifically the one that looks up at the Dr. (with her hands in her face). At first thought I was thinking "mother". But being hold old the Dr. was in the very beginning I started to wonder perhaps "wife". Or maybe I'm just looking more into that than it really is.

Everybody who lives dies, but not everybody who dies has lived - No Fear
Morph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:55 PM   #81
Kuhan

Send a message via ICQ to Kuhan Send a message via AIM to Kuhan Send a message via MSN to Kuhan Send a message via Yahoo to Kuhan Send a message via Skype™ to Kuhan

I agree with Jack, it makes sense that it was a Time Lord Rule that's gone with the Time Lords and Gallifrey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
DID ANYONE READ THE ARTICLE?!!!!!!
Kuhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:31 PM   #82
Spectre216
Green Lantern Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morph View Post
While we're at it, I have a question that I'm hoping someone could shed some light on. In the last couple episodes (David Tennant as Dr.) when he and the Master are fighting against the council of Gallifrey.... who are the two that opposed? Most specifically the one that looks up at the Dr. (with her hands in her face). At first thought I was thinking "mother". But being hold old the Dr. was in the very beginning I started to wonder perhaps "wife". Or maybe I'm just looking more into that than it really is.
I don't think they ever say who they are.
Spectre216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:09 PM   #83
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhan View Post
I agree with Jack, it makes sense that it was a Time Lord Rule that's gone with the Time Lords and Gallifrey.
RTD said he almost included a throw-away line to that effect in an episode (something like "Oh, I'm glad that 12-regen rule is gone"). He decided to leave it for later though. As he and others have said if the show's still really popular when the 13th actor quits, they're not going to say "oh well, it's a shame, we had a good run though."

Last edited by Space Cop; 10-26-2010 at 07:25 PM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:46 PM   #84
Morph
Green Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre216 View Post
I don't think they ever say who they are.
Well crap, I was hoping someone would have an answer. The way they looked at each other made me think there was a link there between the two of them.

Old 10-15-2010, 05:48 PM   #85
Morph
Green Lantern

And I'm not sure how this show is about loose ends. I mean the links between the episodes with Donna Noble were crazy how they all tied together in the end.

But I thought I would point out that the Dr. isn't the only Time Lord left. Isn't his daughter still out there running around in the galaxy? Or doesn't she count?

Old 10-19-2010, 03:13 PM   #86
Spectre216
Green Lantern Initiate

just so that we ca quit bringing this topic back from the dead

http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/...php?groupid=86
Spectre216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:23 AM   #87
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre216 View Post
just so that we ca quit bringing this topic back from the dead

http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/...php?groupid=86
I just joined. Anyone who's interested in DW here should come by. We can streamline this discussion.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:20 PM   #88
ns2
Your Clash At Demonhead

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

ns2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 04:00 PM   #89
Space Cop
The Dandy

Awesome. BTW: right now, for the first time ever, DW is shooting in America . . . well, Utah, anyway.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:54 PM   #90
chivalrous
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by methos View Post
Every "Whovian" knows, the Doctor cannot last for ever: Time Lords are able to regenerate only 12 times before they die.

The moment comes in the CBBC spin-off show, The Sarah Jane Adventures, which stars former companion Elisabeth Sladen as Sarah Jane Smith. Matt Smith, who plays the current Doctor Who, guest stars in a two-part episode called The Death of the Doctor, to be screened on October 25 and 26. While the Doctor and Clyde Langer, played by Daniel Anthony, are in the process of outwitting spooky vulture undertakers the Shansheeth, Clyde asks how many times he can regenerate. The Doctor indicates that there is no limit. The action continues...
At the point Clyde asks the question, Sarah Jane is about to have her memory wiped (and get killed in the process) and the kids and the Doctor are crawling through a ventilation system that is rapidly heating up.
When Clyde asks "so how many times can you regenerate" the Doctor replies flippantly "427".
I'm choosing to view this as the Doctor being irritated by such a personal, pointless and insignificant-at-the-time question and chooses to give Clyde a deservedly daft and silly answer.

The alternative, and one that was thrown about when the series was resurrected with 9 was that because the Time Lords have been wiped out, the energy that went into giving each of them 13 lives (first life plus 12 regenerations) is now only going into the Doctor, giving him many more regenerations than would ordinarily be the case.

Stormageddon added by Kuhan
chivalrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 06:23 PM   #91
ns2
Your Clash At Demonhead

Quote:
Here's the BBC official synopsis:

Amy and Rory are trapped on a crashing space liner, and the only way The Doctor can rescue them is to save the soul of a lonely old miser, in a festive edition of the time-travelling adventure, written by Steven Moffat. But is Kazran Sardick, the richest man in Sardicktown, beyond redemption? And what is lurking in the fogs of Christmas Eve?

Amy Pond is played by Karen Gillan, Rory Williams by Arthur Darvill, The Doctor by Matt Smith and Kazran Sardick by Michael Gambon.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:31 PM   #92
Space Cop
The Dandy

Thank you for my new Christmas season wallpaper.
You rock the Casbah!
Old 11-23-2010, 07:03 PM   #93
Space Cop
The Dandy

Happy 47th Anniversary Doctor Who!
Old 12-01-2010, 08:14 PM   #94
ns2
Your Clash At Demonhead

Old 12-01-2010, 08:19 PM   #95
plastroncafe
Alpha-Lantern

Best. Murphy Bed. Ever!
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:05 PM   #96
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Awesome, not just a Dr. Who thread, but a group. Sweet bed, too.

I just picked up the season with Matt Smith as the Doctor, and I'm slowly going through the episodes (even though I watched the Dalek episode first then reverted to normal timeline). And yeah, I totally agree with the Power Ranger Daleks....didn't look too cool, but hey, what can you do when Davros isn't around? lol

Personally, I'm a huge fan of the Tom Baker era AND the David Tenant era. The one thing that seems kind of strange to me is that the new doctor doesn't have the same...."glue" to hold each episode together as a whole, but he is quite humorous. Things just seem a bit more low key now versus the high drama and bombastic everything that made Tenant so special to me.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:37 AM   #97
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Awesome, not just a Dr. Who thread, but a group. Sweet bed, too.
You mean Gallifrey? Join, join, join.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Personally, I'm a huge fan of the Tom Baker era AND the David Tenant era. The one thing that seems kind of strange to me is that the new doctor doesn't have the same...."glue" to hold each episode together as a whole, but he is quite humorous. Things just seem a bit more low key now versus the high drama and bombastic everything that made Tenant so special to me.
I'm cool with a bit more low-key. Wait til the finally, though. It's big.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:51 AM   #98
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
You mean Gallifrey? Join, join, join.

I'm cool with a bit more low-key. Wait til the finally, though. It's big.
I did a "little" research today on lunchbreak, and I got a hint of what's coming ahead, but I stopped myself from spoiling the whole damn thing. I will say this: it was WAAAY to early in the season to do a Dalek episode.....I knew between that and the crack in the wall thing that there had to be more to come.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:54 AM   #99
kazzar
Guardian Of The Galaxy

It was way too early to do a Dalek episode, they should have done it mid to late season at least. And the last two episodes are the strongest in the series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar Aang
When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.
kazzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:08 PM   #100
ns2
Your Clash At Demonhead

9 brand new doctor who xmas special pics