The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > General > General/About Us
FLASHCHAT

General

Old 06-23-2010, 11:10 PM   #101
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

I was hoping they would do a monthly subscription.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:12 PM   #102
projectile
Sidekick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylent_asassin View Post
If I have to pay $2 each for a download, I'd rather just buy the damn book. Reading comics online is okay, but there's nothing like actually holding it and turning the pages. In addition, scrolling and zooming so the page fits in the screen is a pain in the ass... and online, you can't truly appreciate the artwork.

Agreed.

" He who does not punish evil commands it to be done."-Leonardo da Vinci
projectile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:20 PM   #103
Morph
Green Lantern

there's a couple things I'd like to see, both DC and Marvel.

1) Monthly subscription
2) discount on storylines. (ie: you want to purchase the entire GL: Rebirth mini-series it should cost less than purchasing it book by book)
3) probably impossible to figure out. but if I purchase the paper copy I'd like to get the digital copy free or $0.50

Everybody who lives dies, but not everybody who dies has lived - No Fear
Morph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:58 AM   #104
maximara
Kilowog's Recruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by irongreen2814 View Post
If anything Digital comics will increase more piracy and make it even easier for people to get said product for free. You can still download new free mp3s even though music mp3's are now on iTunes and other places. Piracy will never stop. Marvel already has Marvel digital comics on their website
While piracy will never go away comics have a much different situation than music--right now comics are still a physical media. Both my parents were in the printing industry and of all the costs back in the day the biggest was paper; while I realize that has changed I suspect paper is still a major reason comic cost as much as they do.

Between 2001-2007 Marvel put huge amounts of their comics on DVD: Amazing Spider-Man Complete Comic Book Collection (2001), 40 Years of the X-Men (2005), and Fantastic Four and Silver Surfer (2007) at $50 a piece--far cheaper then ever could be possible with a TPB.

Of course the real problem with such collections is the quality is all over the freaking map and you find out just how annoying all those crossovers in the 80s and 90s really were.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:02 PM   #105
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

DC Comics Shut Down ZUDA

Quote:
Last week DC Comics took a much anticipated second step into the world of digital publishing with the simultaneous launch of the official DC Comics iPhone/iPad App (powered by comiXology) and participation in Sony’s Playstation Network. I say second step because, as most Zuda fans know, we made our first step back in 2007 when DC Comics tasked us with a project that would evolve into ZUDA COMICS. Part webcomics collective, part community, part competition, all experimental; Zuda was an unique and ambitiously creative project, albeit an occasionally clunky one.

Recently we ended our competition format and put submissions on hold. And now, effective today, www.zudacomics.com will be shut down.

Why?

The submissions question is simple: It is the new DC Co-Publishers’ plan to expand submissions beyond just Zuda Comics and the Online group into a larger, more comprehensive system that covers all of DC Comics’ wide variety of needs, skills and interests. Jim and Dan are very excited about bringing in and developing new talent so look for more information about that from them as plans develop.

As for the site, from here on out, Zuda Comics will be folded into DC Comics’ exciting, new Digital Publishing initiative. Expect more Zuda series to be released through the DC Comics and comiXology Apps, the Sony PSP and on both the comiXology website and, eventually, the main DC Comics website as well. You’ll be able to read all of your digital editions and manage your entire library in one place, whether DCU, Vertigo, WildStorm or Zuda. The goal there is convergence of technology and convergence of editorial.

In these past two and a half years, I’m very proud to say that Zuda series and creators have had some outstanding critical successes. Ilias Kyriazis’ MELODY was nominated for a Friends of Lulu Award for Best Female Character, Andy Belanger got the nod for the Shuster Award for Webcomics, SUPERTRON, HIGH MOON, THE NIGHT OWLS and THE BLACK CHERRY BOMBSHELLS were nominated for a combined total of seven Harvey Awards, including the win for best Online Comic by HIGH MOON, and BAYOU took home a record-breaking number of Glyph Awards, recognition by the American Library Association and is currently up for coveted Eisner Award for Best Webcomic! Clearly the experiment was yielding fantastic creative achievements and now, new fans coming to DC through our apps and through the Sony Playstation Network will get a chance to read what the rest of us have known about since Zuda’s launch.

I think if there’s one thing that the Zuda Comics community shares is the belief that nothing lasts forever – submissions get rejected, competitors don’t win, stories end. We try stuff, hopefully we learn stuff, we change stuff and still the experiment continues. Zudacomics.com may have come to an end today but the award-winning series will live on and without a doubt, the discussion and lessons learned these past two and a half years will continue to inform, shape and fuel the development of DC’s future digital plans and initiatives.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:16 PM   #106
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

DC's Perazza Answers Questions on ZUDA's Changes

Thursday’s news of Zudacomics.com — the flash-based home for DC's webcomics imprint — closing and the shift of existing Zuda titles to the new DC Comics digital platforms (their iPhone/iPad app, comiXology’s app, PlayStation Network) raised a good deal of questions. Bayou and High Moon are already on the DC Comics app, but which other titles will make the jump? Which will disappear? Will the Zuda name live on?

Newsarama explored the Zuda developments with David Gallaher — writer of High Moon, one of Zuda’s most high-profile series — Thursday afternoon, and Friday talked to Ron Perazza, DC’s VP of Creative Services who oversees online initiatives including Zuda, over e-mail.

Quote:
Newsarama: Your blog post (and the fact that the Zuda blog is still up) suggested that the Zuda name will continue as a brand for the titles that were once published by the imprint— is this correct? Is the name Zuda staying alive?

Ron Perazza: Yup. The comics we're releasing through our App, comiXology's App, the PSP, etc are all still going to be branded "Zuda." We're just leaving the our solo presence on the Zuda Website behind and joining the other imprints for one, coordinated effort.

Nrama: So will new titles continue to be introduced under the Zuda umbrella?

Perazza: We're not approaching this as just a content dump from one system to another so our first step is to roll out our existing comics. It's likely that there's an audience here completely unfamiliar with Zuda so we don't want to just drown them with content. Pow! Here comes everything! We want to use this as an opportunity to introduce them to what we've been doing for the last three years.

After that I think the idea of new titles is a larger question and one that the company needs to address as a whole, across all of the lines.

Nrama: If you're able to at this point, can you clarify exactly which Zuda titles are making the jump to the new digital platforms?

Perazza: We're still working out the release schedule along with ways to effectively communicate that schedule to everyone. It's a huge challenge and it's not limited to just Zuda. The print side of the business obviously has a solicitation system built into it that lets readers anticipate what's coming up and know when it's available. There really isn't a parallel on the digital side at this point. Next up for Zuda is The Night Owls and then right after that is Azure. Our plan is to use the Zuda Blog, Twitter and Facebook Page to keep everyone up to date with what titles are coming out and when.

Nrama: Will the comics not making the leap to the new platforms eventually be archived in any form?

Perazza: No. Our intention is to settle up any existing contracts and completely revert the rights and all assets back to the original creators. That way they can move on with whatever they think is best for their series unencumbered. I don't think it makes sense to prevent someone from progressing if we're not going to continue the original partnership.

Nrama: Was the impending closing of Zudacomics.com known when the competition aspect of Zuda was dropped in late April of this year?

Perazza: Not at all. [DC Comics Online Editor] Kwanza [Johnson], [DC Comics Online Technology Manager] Dave [McCullough] and I had been thinking about the competition for a long time. It was a costly, inefficient way to get 8 screens of a comic, both financially and in terms of manpower, and it seemed to be increasingly problematic month after month. When we talked about it with Jim and Dan ending the competition made sense as a logical first step toward whatever would come next. The idea that ZUDA would migrate to become original digital editions in the overall Digital Publishing plan came about completely independently.

Nrama: Even though Zuda is continuing on the new platforms, it is still an end to the Zuda as we know it. As someone who obviously worked very closely with the line, what kind of legacy do you think it leaves behind in the comic book industry?

Perazza: Good question! I think that there's room for a lot more diversity in genre, format and style and that we need to find effective ways of delivering it to the fans that are passionate about it. We shouldn't be afraid to explore. I also think that we as an industry need to keep in mind is that the community of creators and readers is a lot more insightful than we might expect. We shouldn't be afraid to listen.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:30 PM   #107
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morph View Post
3) probably impossible to figure out. but if I purchase the paper copy I'd like to get the digital copy free or $0.50
Impossible with back issues. But upcoming books could come with a code that unlocks the digital copy.
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:33 PM   #108
W.West

Unless that code can only be used once, that's just asking for "sharing". And if it can only be used once, then what do you when your computer goes to shit and you lose that book?
Old 07-02-2010, 10:44 PM   #109
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Then you lose the book. What do you do when your house burns down and destroys your physical copy? Same thing. That risk is always there.
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:23 PM   #110
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

This first I'll save from my house if it's on fire are my comic books.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:07 PM   #111
W.West

Graphic.ly Announces Windows 7 Application

Quote:
Official Press Release

Graphic.ly, the digital media platform for comic books and communities, announces a new application for Windows 7 devices, as well as improvements to its online comics store that will make it easier for people to start and participate in conversations about new and popular titles. The Windows 7 app is optimized for touch interfaces to take advantage the upcoming Windows-based tablets.

Graphic.ly becomes the first of a new breed of comic apps that is available on Windows 7 devices, following its launch of a desktop AIR and iPhone application. The company plans to launch apps for mobile platforms, such as the iPad, Android and Windows Phone 7, and a web application throughout the year. In addition, the store will get new features and a layout that will highlight fresh and popular titles in the comics store, as well as friend-recommended titles for people to share and discover new content.

“This is the year that will change comics forever, extending the experience of welcoming and acceptance of the comic book store into the digital marketplace where they’ll be exposed to the largest audience ever,” said Micah Baldwin, CEO of Graphic.ly. “To maximize that audience, we’re going to lead the charge to bring the digital media store to every platform and device. Today we’re proud to be the first on Windows 7 and there will be more to come.”

Graphic.ly offers comic titles from the largest comics publishers, including Archaia, Arcana, Archie, BOOM! Studios, IDW Publishing, and TopCow. Hundreds of independent publishers also offer titles for sale in the Graphic.ly online store. Today, more than 600 titles are available for prices ranging from free to $1.99 in the Graphic.ly store.

It is the Graphic.ly community, however, that sets it apart in the new digital comics category. Graphic.ly is set up to encourage users to follow other readers, comment directly on pages and panels, and become friends with other Graphic.ly users. The homepage is a stream of comics-related activities to help users discover new comics. Additionally, the latest in comic reviews, releases and news is available to the entire community at Grapic.ly.

The new store layout and functionality is focused on discovery through friend recommendations and algorithmic suggestions. In addition, feature content and top sellers are presented in an easy to consume manner.
Quote:
About Graphic.ly
Graphic.ly is a cutting-edge digital content delivery system and community platform for the publishing world. Graphic.ly’s first product focuses on comic publishers, creators and enthusiasts, and provides an immersive social experience and marketplace around digital comics and associated merchandise. The company is looking to expand its community and content platform and become the de facto solution for print media. For more information, please visit http://www.graphic.ly.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:47 PM   #112
W.West

Digital Comics News Round-Up, 8/5/10

Welcome to an overview of the latest news stories and opinion pieces on the digital comics revolution!
Old 08-06-2010, 12:03 AM   #113
Shingo Wol

Digital comics are not for me.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:05 AM   #114
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles

Send a message via Skype™ to Marvelous Iggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingo Wol View Post
Digital comics are not for me.
Why do you hate technology Dog Boy
Marvelous Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:07 AM   #115
Shingo Wol

Quote:
Why do you hate technology Dog Boy
Not all technology. I just prefer my comics on paper.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:08 AM   #116
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles

Quote:
Not all technology. I just prefer my comics on paper.
and you will have them................
Old 08-06-2010, 12:08 AM   #117
Shingo Wol

Quote:
and you will have them................
Paper FTW!
Old 08-06-2010, 12:14 AM   #118
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles

Quote:
Paper FTW!
Think about it this way, some towns do not have a LCS, but a kid has a iPad or iTouch and digital comics are the only way he can get to read his comics
Old 08-06-2010, 12:41 AM   #119
Shingo Wol

Quote:
Think about it this way, some towns do not have a LCS, but a kid has a iPad or iTouch and digital comics are the only way he can get to read his comics
And if he has no Ipad or iTouch?
Old 08-06-2010, 12:41 AM   #120
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles

Quote:
Then he is screwed I guess
Old 08-08-2010, 04:42 PM   #121
W.West

Quote:
Then he'll get a computer and be happy that Graphic.ly is going to launch a Windows 7 application.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:46 PM   #122
W.West

Digital Comics News Round-Up, 8/06/10
Old 08-08-2010, 05:16 PM   #123
Mrt1000son
Dark Lord of the Sith

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
Then he'll get a computer and be happy that Graphic.ly is going to launch a Windows 7 application.
There is one little problem with that logic, if the kid has enough money to buy a computer or i-pad/i-touch, wouldn't he have enough to just get on the bus or order the comics online?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plastroncafe
Freedom of Speech does not mean Freedom From Being Called Out For Spouting Bullshit.
Mrt1000son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:42 PM   #124
W.West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrt1000son View Post
There is one little problem with that logic, if the kid has enough money to buy a computer or i-pad/i-touch, wouldn't he have enough to just get on the bus or order the comics online?
Of course(but I hope you realize you made a jump from a kid in a city with no comic shop to kid who can't afford a computer or can't afford to get to a computer). As I've said a zillion times in this thread and elsewhere, Digital Comics are not here to replace printed comics but to provide an alternative.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:18 PM   #125
Shingo Wol

But won't they eventually replace print?