The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > General > General/About Us
FLASHCHAT

General

Old 08-06-2009, 03:19 AM   #76
GLC2814.4

Good Idea, but I am NOT reading comics on a fucking iPhone screen, no way Jose.

Maybe a Kindle if they didn't suck ass
Old 08-06-2009, 04:45 PM   #77
GL2873
Fatality's Blacksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
Well buy yourself a 54" tv and connect your Longbox account to your 360/Wii and enjoy. Otherwise you have to realize you're being absurd.
I can't afford a 54" tv! Wait, If I stop paying $2.99 per issue.... lolz.
GL2873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:56 AM   #78
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

MARVEL COMICS Coming to your PSP

Digital comics are coming to the PSP. Over at the Sony Gamescom press conference, Sony announced the new Digital Reader for the PSP and then introduced a representative from Marvel Comics -- the company behind Spider-Man, X-Men, etc. Soon, you'll be able to download comics from the PlayStation Store and read them on your PSP.

Update: Because we're super sleuths, we've managed to track down a few more details for you through Sony and Marvel execs as well as press releases issued by both companies. Read below for new details.

Marvel's official website updated with story stating a launch window of December 2009. John Koller, SCEA's Director of Hardware Marketing stated that while there is no specific launch date available at this time, the Digital Reader service would have over 1,000 comic books available upon launch. The company is in ongoing discussions with a variety of publishers, with Marvel, IDW and Archie already on board.

"We really see this as important," said Koller, a sentiment that was echoed by Ira Rubestein, Executive Vice President of Marvel's Digital Media Group. "[The PSP] displays our books beautifully," said Rubestein. "[They're] in color and protected with a DRM. [The PSP] is portable and we wanted to bring portability to digital comic book readers. [The PSP's Digital Reader]… offers a great consumer experience."

Probably the most important detail for comic book fans is exactly which titles will be offered. "We will be bringing hundreds of books," says Rubestein. "Amazing Spider-Man, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Fantastic Four, Incredible Hulk, Invincible Iron Man, Blade, Daredevil, Ghost Rider and many more." Rubestein also added that there are plans to offer a few books that are only available digitally. Additional books will be added on a monthly basis.

Some more details for you digital book fans out there – these are the same format as the digital books on Marvel.com currently (albeit on a smaller screen). Marvel's motion comic books – such as the Spider-Woman series debuting on iTunes later this week - will not be available, though Marvel is "in discussions" to make the content available on the PSN video service.

Pricing remains up in the air. Sony will determine the final price of the books, which will be sold on a per issue basis, with no option to "subscribe" to a specific title or all Marvel titles. Rubestein added that readers interested in those options might visit Marvel.com's "Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited" service. Koller mentioned that his company was not prepared to announce price points at this time.

One critical question for many fans is how quickly they can get new content. Will PSP users be able to read the latest issue of Captain America on the same day people can buy it in a comic book store? "Not at this time," said Rubestein.

Lastly we asked Marvel if it was looking at other digital platforms such as a distribution method via Microsoft's Xbox Live. "We continue to evaluate other popular consumer devices," we were told. "We will consider those that offer a compelling consumer experience with our content."

So there you have it – the arrival of comic books on your nearest PSP. Stay tuned to IGN as we bring you more details as the holidays approach.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:20 PM   #79
Morph
Green Lantern

Not really an addition to the LongBox software, but something I've been waiting to see ever since the start of digital comics.... the digital comic reader.

Quote:
Rumored Apple Tablet May Be Digital Comics' Future
http://www.newsarama.com/comics/0909...et-comics.html

As rumors about a new Apple touch-screen tablet heat up, it's looking more and more likely that Spider-Man and Superman may soon be read by using fingers to zoom and scroll through a digital comic book.

"It’s starting to look more and more firm that we’ll see something in early 2010, but details are still absolutely mysterious," said Andy Ihnatko, technical writer and contributor to the Chicago Sun-Times, MacWorld, and the CBS Early Show. "I guess this is like an early warning system of something really happening, where little crumbs of information start building up."

With recent black and white comics already doing well on Amazon's Kindle, the potential of comics being available on a larger-screen color device from Apple looks promising.

"I really believe the tablet is absolutely necessary to move comics into the digital realm," said Ihnatko, who thinks the tablet will probably be somewhere around 3" x 5" or 5" x 7", offering a more preferable size for comic reading. "Publishers trying to go digital, in most cases, have missed the point up until now. They just don’t know how to deal with taking a story designed to fill up an entire page and trying to make it work on a smaller iPhone screen or smaller handheld screen. What they do is they tend to force the path that the reader takes throughout the comic book.

"We’re going to need to see the full page," said Ihnatko, a comic book reader himself. "We’ll need to look wherever we want to look. Artists will have to have the freedom to design the page however they want it to go for it to really work. That’s why we want a nice, big color screen that can at least give you the top half or bottom half of the page and scroll very neatly and very cleanly."

Ihnatko said that people who haven't enjoyed the ability to read comic books on their computers or their iPhones aren't only rejecting those delivery method because they're digital. "I think that what they’re attached to is not necessarily the paper comic. I think what they’re attached is something that they recognize as a comic book," he said. "Once you give them something they don’t recognize as a comic, they disconnect from it. But with a tablet-sized reader, it can be scrolled through like a comic."

Although the announcement of an Apple Tablet is not likely to be the subject of the company's launch event on Sept. 9th, the approaching event has everyone looking for clues about what Apple is developing behind the scenes. Tech news sites and magazines have been filled with possible "evidence" of the Apple Tablet, from manufacturing orders to software developments.

The latest so-called evidence was the fact that Apple's newest operating system, Snow Leopard, includes an easily accessible screen-based keyboard that can be enlarged to a size that offers finger-sized keys.

"We’re seeing parts manufacturers start to gear up to produce odd-looking components and alleged orders being placed for things. It’s really hard to describe something this vague," Ihnatko said. "It’s sort of like that scene in "Jurassic Park". They realize the T-rex is testing the fences. They don’t know that something big is happening on a certain date, but they know that something now is definitely up. As usual, Apple will release only when they’re ready to do it. Even if they have something that’s working that’s sellable, if at the end they decide, 'This isn’t quite what we want it to be,' then they’ll just scratch it and wait another few months. You can never tell."

But Apple may not be the first to offer an electronic reading device that could be utilized by the comic book industry to display color comic books. Just last week, Stephen Christy, director of development at Archaia, said all the comic books his company is coding for Amazon's Kindle are being coded in color as the company anticipates future colors versions of the device.

"Whenever that future version comes out in color, all the files will be forward compatible. So if you download "The Killer", it will be in color," he said.

And just Thursday, Toshiba announced that it would release a touch-screen tablet, called the JournE Touch. The device, which would retail for around $360, has a seven-inch screen and is a half-inch thick weighing under a pound. With integrated Wi-Fi and Windows CE, the Toshiba tablet is intended as a home device that allows users to quickly access the internet on a bigger screen without having to go to a larger home computer.

When Newsarama talked to Ihnatko in February, he further fueled tablet rumors by sharing stories about Apple coding books for sale on iTunes. But the tech expert said he no longer thinks that's Apple's priority.

"Having an iTunes bookstore would have been a really important thing for them to do last year before anybody really had a big foothold in this market. Right now, they might be in the position of coming out with an iTunes bookstore that would simply exist alongside all these other digital bookstores," Ihnatko said. "It would be hard for them to produce a library of copyrighted digital content that would exceed what’s already out there. Again, I think it’s very possible for them to do that within the iTunes store, but it’s no longer quite so necessary. The Kindle app for the iPhone kind of demonstrated that it’s possible to have a very good, viable e-book feature for an iPhone without having to own the book market."

And while Ihnatko acknowledged that electronic readers like the Kindle are not necessarily a booming market, they are successful enough now to imply that a multi-media device from Apple could succeed in areas others can't touch.

"Any time Apple does something, it makes it cool for everybody," he said. "They’re the ones who do it – they don’t necessarily do it first, but they do it absolutely right. Again, look at the music player. They redefined music players. Look what they did with phones. They redefined phones. Not because they were the first people to have a phone that was actually a computer, but they’re the first ones to do it in a new, compelling way that turns it into just another really cool device. If they were to come out with a table device that has a really good color screen on it, it would be a successful product almost by definition. People would go out and buy it because it’s Apple and because it works."

And for the comic book industry, that new marketplace, on a device that would display comics in the way they were intended, would open a whole new door for digital comics, he said.

"It would be the first table type device that would be really suitable towards displaying comics," Ihnatko said. "So it would make the market for comic books that much broader and that much more relevant. Even if they didn’t own the comic book market, the next company that is thinking about doing the color book reader would be that much more encouraged to go ahead and do it because Apple has demonstrated that there are people out there who want to buy it."

Everybody who lives dies, but not everybody who dies has lived - No Fear
Morph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:47 PM   #80
Morph
Green Lantern

Rest assured I'm still a comic book (physical paper) kind of guy. But over the past couple years I've read a number of e-based comics on laptop and it has been a handy thing to have. Would I still purchase paper comics? You bet!! But if I can get a e-copy as well, now we're talking. The ability to take 100 issues of GL with me to read when I want is highly appealing.

Anyways.... there's been some news regarding this and Longbox in the past week. This article especially has been causing a lot of stir, especially with the notion of a possible Apple Tablet link more feasible.

http://www.suntimes.com/technology/i...102009.article

Old 11-03-2009, 08:50 PM   #81
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

With Marvel providing comics through the iphone via the Apple iTunes store, I find it very saddening that DC hasn't made a move in the digital direction at all.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:18 PM   #82
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles

Send a message via Skype™ to Marvelous Iggy

DC has always been slow when it come to new types of media
Marvelous Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:46 PM   #83
Morph
Green Lantern

Granted that DC is the slower of the two but I think there's a reason behind it. Ok, not talking about release dates here.
Over a year ago I started purchasing these comic DVD's that held pretty much an entire run of a title. (and these are legit, though you can't find them any more). I was getting pretty talkative with the sales guy and found that there is a huge difference between Marvel and DC. Marvel as a company owns all the characters. DC doesn't. DC still has to ask the creators (or the family of the creators) for permission to be used in certain things. Because of this, it was near impossible or super costly to try and get a DC character run put on these DVDs.

I wonder if this is the same issue when it comes to the eComics. Whereas Marvel just says... grab a comic and do it. DC has to turn around and ask... can we please?

Hopefully with eComics this won't be an issue as nothing really changes except the format it's going out on. So hopefully being just a distributing issue DC will have full control over this and it won't be an issue.

And since I've been reading so many different articles today on Longbox and the Apple Tablet; there was one article that mentioned that both Marvel and DC execs were asked if Apple had contacted them. Though both said no they hadn't been, both indicated they were open and willing to it.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:48 PM   #84
W.West

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Comixology’s Apple iPad App For Reading Comics
Old 06-20-2010, 05:57 PM   #85
W.West

Rantz Hoseley on the launch of Longbox

The Longbox digital comics distribution system was first announced in June 2009 and was universally described as "iTunes for comics." In fact, it is much more than that: A platform-independent application that allows the user to buy and read comics digitally and move them from one device to another. Unlike the iTunes store, Longbox won't have strict content restrictions, but users can create subaccounts that will only allow browsing, purchase, and reading of comics below a given age rating. The public beta version becomes available today with a handful of titles, and developer and CEO Rantz Hoseley says new content will start appearing on a weekly basis beginning on June 29 and available at a discount "in recognition that we are still in beta."

I tried out the private beta last weekend, and the experience was pretty seamless: You look at a display of covers, buy the ones you want, download them, and read them in a comics reader on the screen. Hoseley talked to me last week about how Longbox will evolve as a platform for readers and for publishers.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:39 PM   #86
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
First, its not reading them that's the focus here. Its the Longbox that will allow you to store,read, and buy them. This is for people like you as well. Those people who've been illegally reading comics, you can take those and read them on there, you can also stop doing what you're doing because the only reason you were downloading them in the first place was because you didn't deem it worthy of the price. However that price has dropped substantially, and hopefully now you'll take advantage of that. (excuse that giant run-on sentence.)

im curious on what the charge fee will be. will they do like a 1 year deal or would they still do 2.99 a book once this digital thing hits the market? i think its COOL idea

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of WWE Network subscriptions were suddenly cancelled.
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 07:08 PM   #87
Gir eats Waffles
Alan's Drycleaner

Location: I live where it smells like trees. But not Canada, Canada sucks.

Theys the reasons HTMLcomics is gone!!! No!

Stoopid companies wanted moneys for their work and effort i hates that
Old 06-20-2010, 07:47 PM   #88
Quaker
Leader of the Resistance

Send a message via Skype™ to Quaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gir eats Waffles View Post
Theys the reasons HTMLcomics is gone!!! No!

Stoopid companies wanted moneys for their work and effort i hates that
I know! Why would they want to get paid for doing their job? They're crazy.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:21 PM   #89
chivalrous
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limelantern View Post
It is just that much cheaper for the comic companies. No paper costs, ink costs, shipping costs, and wasted funds for comics that never sold.
I doubt there's been a comprehensive study into the actual comparison but while the cost of printing materials is wiped out, electricity isn't free and is likely going to get more and more expensive* as time goes by. Think how many servers (and back-up servers) are going to be running 24-7 to however many countries all over the world (how many servers does Google/iTunes/Amazon/Facebook use?)
I'll try to look for the article, but every time you run a Google search, you use about the same amount of electricity as it takes to boil a litre of water.**

Add on the initial cost of constructing the infrastructure needed to store and supply a growing number of issues and store existing issues going back 70 years or so.

How much is it going to cost to digitise comics to a quality fitting the publishers' standards? (rather than bootleg-Joe and his desktop scanner)

How much to replace broken/worn-out servers, or just on server maintenance?

From a more long term point of view:

What happens when, inevitably, the file-format is no longer serviced by whoever created it (Adobe and .tiff for instance, or whoever controls the intellectual property for .jpg) Somehow everything that's on the server will need to be migrated into the new file-format and then checked for transfer-corruption.

*Either because of decreasing fossil fuel reserves, or because of the myth of falling oil stocks (whichever side of the fence you choose to stand on)
** okay, scratch that, the article has been amended since I read it. However that only addresses the power used in a search, not how much energy is used while the servers are 'at rest', which is going to be fairly high, considering about 1000 computers are used to perform that search
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

From a personal point of view I'd much rather have an electronic copy for 99p (with maybe a thirty day licence) because I prefer my hard copies to be in trade format.

Stormageddon added by Kuhan

Last edited by chivalrous; 06-21-2010 at 01:19 AM.
chivalrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:16 PM   #90
lanternut
Alpha-Lantern

Send a message via MSN to lanternut

Yeah, your neighborhood record company was probably saying the same about digital music ten years ago.

I just ready my first digital novel all the way through. I've tried a few times in the past using Palm PDA's and pdf's on the laptops and desktops, but this was really the first convenient format that I could pull out on the plane ride and back at the hotel.

I think I'm hooked for novels, it's only time when other publishers go full stream. Even reading the newest Maxium on it wasn't a pain in the ass on it.

If I can download it within a couple of weeks after it hit the LCS, like they use to do at 7-11 and other retail chains and it's cheaper that print, I'm all over the titles I usually wait for trades on.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:12 PM   #91
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

i think the real motive for this is to basicly fight piracey... how much of a coincidance that comic industries just happen to come up with this after html comics got busted? as much i used htmlcomics i still suported the comic industry

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of WWE Network subscriptions were suddenly cancelled.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:21 PM   #92
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles

Send a message via Skype™ to Marvelous Iggy

If anything Digital comics will increase more piracy and make it even easier for people to get said product for free. You can still download new free mp3s even though music mp3's are now on iTunes and other places. Piracy will never stop. Marvel already has Marvel digital comics on their website
Marvelous Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:23 PM   #93
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by irongreen2814 View Post
If anything Digital comics will increase more piracy and make it even easier for people to get said product for free. You can still download new free mp3s even though music mp3's are now on iTunes and other places. Piracy will never stop. Marvel already has Marvel digital comics on their website

the only reason i ever used htmlcomics was to read the golden and silver aged books and i never saved anything so im hoping this long box can maybe do some deals like a golden age package because id pay for it if its what im looking for and at a fair price. and i agree ig piracey will still be around but there are people who just read the books online and dont start a issue but others do by saving that content to there hard drives

Old 06-21-2010, 02:48 PM   #94
Razorgod
Anti-Monitor

Send a message via Yahoo to Razorgod Send a message via Skype™ to Razorgod

How are they going to do the pricing for this?

Don't get me wrong, nothing replaces the feeling of holding a book in your hands, but as much as I spend on comics, I'm not reading anything near the amount of books as I wished I could afford.

Right now my pull is averaging about 128 a month, throw in another hundred or more for impulse buys.....and I'm still not reading everything that appeals to me.
Razorgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:50 PM   #95
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorgod View Post
How are they going to do the pricing for this?

Don't get me wrong, nothing replaces the feeling of holding a book in your hands, but as much as I spend on comics, I'm not reading anything near the amount of books as I wished I could afford.

Right now my pull is averaging about 128 a month, throw in another hundred or more for impulse buys.....and I'm still not reading everything that appeals to me.

they could do what xbox live does and basicly charge a fee for 1 whole year. with comics about to hit the 399 price i can see the comic industry do a package like 100 bucks for 1 year of subscription

Old 06-21-2010, 10:34 PM   #96
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

I'm in favor of digital comics. I've read a few scans, and I like zooming in on the panels so I can read one panel at a time and really appreciate the artwork.

As for pricing, I think they'll be monthly/yearly subscription for the Golden and Silver Age books. Probably be some per book pricing for the recent releases; however, I would prefer a flat fee subscription. If I like the story arc, I'll end up buying it in trade.

Comic books will have to go digital to survive. There's not going to be a young/new generation of comic book readers of the hard copy format because of price and accessibility.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:53 PM   #97
W.West

DC Comics Goes Digital

Quote:
DC Comics has finally entered the digital publishing frontier...

With so-far no fanfare or advanced announcement, and after months of questions and speculation about when the comic book publishing giant would announce a digital distribution initiative, an official free DC Comics app (Version 1.0) and store for iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad premiered on iTunes in the early hours of June 23, offering e-versions of DC titles for individual sale.

Like Marvel’s app, which debuted the launch day of Apple’s iPad in early April, DC’s app is powered by ComiXology, a leader in digital publishing for the comic book industry.

Over 35 titles were available at launch, with prices ranging from $0.99 to $2.99. The initial selection features titles from all of DC’s imprints, including Wildstorm, Vertigo and Zuda.

Particularly noteworthy is the availability of Justice League: Generation Lost #1-3 ($1.99) and #4 ($2.99). The fourth issue of the series is not scheduled to arrive in comic book stores until today. Earlier this month Marvel made headlines by announcing their Invincible Iron Man Annual # 1 would be available on their digital platforms the same day (June 30) as it arrived in comic book stores.

A 10-page free preview of another key release scheduled for today, Superman #700, is also available on the service, along with seven other free titles.

The following is a list of titles available on the service now:

Action Comics #844 (Johns/Donner, $1.99)
All Star Superman #1 ($1.99)
The Authority: World’s End #1 ($1.99)
Batman #404 (first part of Year One, $1.99)
Batman #608-613 (first six parts of Hush, $1.99 each)
Batman #655-656 (first two Grant Morrison issues, $1.99 each)
Batman Black & White (five stories, all free)
Bayou #1 (Zuda, free)
Dante’s Inferno #1-3 ($1.99 each)
Fables #1-5 ($1.99 each)
Fringe #0 (free)
Fringe #1-3 ($1.99 each)
Gen 13 #21: World’s End ($0.99)
Green Lantern #21 ($1.99)
Green Lantern #29 ($1.99)
Green Lantern Corps #14 ($1.99)
Green Lantern: Rebirth #1-6 ($1.99 each)
Green Lantern: Sinestro Corps Special #1 ($1.99)
Jonah Hex #1-6 ($1.99 each)
Justice League: Generation Lost #1-3 ($1.99 each)
Justice League: Generation Lost #4 ($2.99)
The Losers #1-12 ($1.99 each)
Mirror’s Edge #0 (Free)
Mirror’s Edge #1-3 ($1.99 each)
The Origin of Batman #1 (free)
The Origin of Superman #1 (free)
Planetary #1-6 ($1.99 each)
Sandman #1 ($1.99)
Stormwatch: PHD #13: World’s End ($0.99)
Superman #700: Preview (free)
Superman/Batman #1-10 ($1.99 each)
Team Zero #1-6 ($0.99 each)
Tiny Titans #1-6 ($1.99 each)
The Unwritten #1 ($1.99)
Victorian Undead ($1.99)
Wildcats: World’s End #1 ($0.99)

The reader seems to function very similarly to Marvel’s, with Superman offering a guided tour for new users, in place of Iron Man.

Look for much more on what appears to be a major industry development Wednesday here at Newsarama...
Old 06-23-2010, 04:05 PM   #98
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
DC Comics Goes Digital

thanks west

Old 06-23-2010, 05:05 PM   #99
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

If I have to pay $2 each for a download, I'd rather just buy the damn book. Reading comics online is okay, but there's nothing like actually holding it and turning the pages. In addition, scrolling and zooming so the page fits in the screen is a pain in the ass... and online, you can't truly appreciate the artwork.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:18 PM   #100
Morph
Green Lantern

finally!!