• Show
Clear All

• Yo.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/0...ype=blogs&_r=0

Bend It, Charge It, Dunk It: Graphene, the Material of Tomorrow

-------------

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/innova...950399/?no-ist

This Tower Pulls Drinking Water Out of Thin Air

Designer Arturo Vittori says his invention can provide remote villages with more than 25 gallons of clean drinking water per day

Hail Hydra!

Originally posted by Andrew NDB
    Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

• Yo.

http://lifehacker.com/what-the-heart...you-1560801201

What the "Heartbleed" Security Bug Means For You

Hail Hydra!

Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

• Yo.

http://news.yahoo.com/passwords-chan...140022858.html

Here are all the passwords you need to change right now because of Heartbleed

Tazer

Comment

• Man, I hate constantly changing my passwords. "You need at least one Uppercase letter, one lowercase letter, one number and a special character." I can't remember all of that, epsecially since my older passwords don't have numbers and characters... then they want you to make sure your passwords differ from each other on different sites.

I have to write most of them down because you can't keep it in a spreadsheet because your computer can be hacked. It's a major pain. You'd think that by giving password hints (i.e. What is the name of your first pet; What is the name of your First Grade teacher), you're opening yourself up to be even more of a target. After all, all that stuff is online somewhere.

Comment

• Yo.

thats why ya gotta make it personal; stuff like "1st person I got to 3nd base with" or "1st person I ever KTFO'd" (or "1st person to KTFO *me*").....

also helps to keep yur p/w similar across, just do minor variations on it to make it trouble. that way U dont have to beat yurself up trying to figure out *every* 10+ character password out there yur working with.

Tazer

Comment

• Yo.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...break/7746049/

Ohio mumps outbreak grows

Most of the cases are connected to Ohio State University.

Tazer

Comment

• Originally posted by Sylent_Asassin View Post
                Man, I hate constantly changing my passwords. "You need at least one Uppercase letter, one lowercase letter, one number and a special character." I can't remember all of that, epsecially since my older passwords don't have numbers and characters... then they want you to make sure your passwords differ from each other on different sites. . .
                Yeah, I ain't doing it until Hotmail or GMail tells me I have to. I've changed them enough. I'm tired of it.

Comment

• Same here.

Comment

• Yo.

http://www.wired.com/2014/04/scienti...-for-70-hours/

Scientists Discover Bugs With Sex-Reversed Genitalia Doing It for 70 Hours

-------------------------

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-...17-709112.html

Scientists Make First Embryo Clones From Adults

Tazer

Comment

• Michigan man among 1st in US to get 'bionic eye'

ANN ARBOR, Mich. (AP) — A degenerative eye disease slowly robbed Roger Pontz of his vision.

Diagnosed with retinitis pigmentosa as a teenager, Pontz has been almost completely blind for years. Now, thanks to a high-tech procedure that involved the surgical implantation of a "bionic eye," he's regained enough of his eyesight to catch small glimpses of his wife, grandson and cat.

"It's awesome. It's exciting — seeing something new every day," Pontz said during a recent appointment at the University of Michigan Kellogg Eye Center. The 55-year-old former competitive weightlifter and factory worker is one of four people in the U.S. to receive an artificial retina since the Food and Drug Administration signed off on its use last year.

The facility in Ann Arbor has been the site of all four such surgeries since FDA approval. A fifth is scheduled for next month.

Retinitis pigmentosa is an inherited disease that causes slow but progressive vision loss due to a gradual loss of the light-sensitive retinal cells called rods and cones. Patients experience loss of side vision and night vision, then central vision, which can result in near blindness. ...
                      + YouTube Video
                      ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Comment

• Yo.

http://www.vox.com/2014/4/25/5652534...y-the-internet

Politics is about to destroy the internet

Tazer

Comment

• Unique floating lab showcases 'aliens of the sea'

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) - Researcher Leonid Moroz emerges from a dive off the Florida Keys and gleefully displays a plastic bag holding a creature that shimmers like an opal in the seawater.

This translucent animal and its similarly strange cousins are food for science. They regrow with amazing speed if they get chopped up. Some even regenerate a rudimentary brain.

"Meet the aliens of the sea," the neurobiologist at the University of Florida says with a huge grin.

They're headed for his unique floating laboratory.

Moroz is on a quest to decode the genomic blueprints of fragile marine life, like these mysterious comb jellies, in real time - on board the ship where they were caught - so he can learn which genes switch on and off as the animals perform such tasks as regeneration.

No white coats needed here. The lab is a specially retrofitted steel shipping container, able to be lifted by crane onto any ship Moroz can recruit for a scientific adventure.

Inside, researchers in flip-flops operate a state-of-the-art genomic sequencing machine secured to a tilting tabletop that bobs with rough waves. Genetic data is beamed via satellite to a supercomputer at the University of Florida, which analyzes the results in a few hours and sends it back to the boat.

The work is part conservation.

"Life came from the oceans," Moroz says, bemoaning the extinction of species before scientists even catalog all of them. "We need a Manhattan Project for biodiversity. We're losing our heritage."

Surprising as it may sound, it's part brain science.

"We cannot regenerate our brain, our spinal cord or efficiently heal wounds without scars," Moroz notes.

But some simple sea creatures can.

Moroz accidentally cuts off part of a comb jelly's flowing lower lobe while putting it into a tank. A few hours later, the wound no longer is visible. By the next afternoon, that lobe had begun to regrow.

What's more remarkable, these gelatinous animals have neurons, or nerve cells, connected in circuitry that Moroz describes as an elementary brain. Injure those neural networks and some, but not all, species of comb jellies can regenerate them, too, in three days to five days, he says, if they're in a habitat where they can survive long enough.

"Nature has found solutions to how to stay healthy," says Moroz, who also studies human brains when he's back on shore. "We need to learn how they do it. But they are so fragile, we have to do it here," at sea.

Two trial-run sails off the Florida coast showed that the shipboard lab can work. Moroz's team generated information about thousands of genes in 22 organisms, including some rare comb jellies. Moroz's ultimate goal is to take the project around the world, to remote seas where it's especially hard to preserve marine animals for study.

"If the sea can't come to the lab, the lab must come to the sea," says Moroz, who invited The Associated Press on the second test trip, a 2½-day sail.

Comment

• Yo.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0DG11E20140430

'Superbugs' that can overpower antibiotics are spreading: WHO

Tazer

Comment

• Yo.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-secr...yramid-stones/

The secret behind how ancient Egyptians moved pyramid stones

Tazer

Comment

• Aw c'mon.

Everybody knows that!

Comment

Working...
                                X