The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Corps/Emerald Warriors/John Stewart
FLASHCHAT

Green Lantern Corps
View Poll Results: who would win HAL or JOHN only rings and will
JOHN STEWART 4 14.29%
HAL JORDAN 24 85.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-04-2009, 05:05 AM   #1
TEN_RINGS
Weaponer of Qward

Default hal vs john mano a mano

in a head to head battle who would triumph HAL JORDAN or JOHN STEWART..... each are armed only with their rings and their own willpower.....and let us not be biased by the fact that hal has been given the spotlight lately hal has the experience........apparently johns willpower exceeds the rings capabilities.......hal is virtually fearless......john was a guardian.........hal destroyed the corps when possessed by parallax........
TEN_RINGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 02:26 PM   #2
unclegnewman
Weaponer of Qward

They fought in Mosaic and John won, however it was John's title.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:11 PM   #3
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

As far as ring slinging, I think they're pretty evenly matched. This battle would have to be based on incentive. What's at stake?
Old 08-04-2009, 04:16 PM   #4
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylent_asassin View Post
As far as ring slinging, I think they're pretty evenly matched. This battle would have to be based on incentive. What's at stake?
I agree. I think a large part of a battle of wills comes down to how invested you are in it. When they fought in Mosaic, Hal was, IMHO, in the wrong. And I don't think he was quite as invested in taking John down for the reason he was giving as John was in standing up for what he KNEW was right. If it came down to a situation where both were absolutely CONVINCED that they were doing the right thing? I don't know. Hopefully we will never see that.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:37 PM   #5
Maverick_GL

Send a message via MSN to Maverick_GL

I think if the stakes were equally high on both sides, we'd see a stalemate. They would fight until their Rings ran out of charge. But if that did happen, I think John would gain the upper hand and best Hal in a hand-to-hand fight. John is bigger and stronger, and as a marine has better hand-to-hand combat training than Hal does.

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman
Maverick_GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:07 PM   #6
TEN_RINGS
Weaponer of Qward

the poll seems to be saying that hal would win......and as for hal vs john in mosaic alot has happened since that time and alot has been changed ....and even then that has always seemed like a way to showcase john in his own title i have never doubted for a second that hal would defeat john if they fought and i want to know what other people think would happen and how it would happen

Last edited by TEN_RINGS; 08-04-2009 at 11:12 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:53 PM   #7
Mosaic
Star Sapphire's Love Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEN_RINGS View Post
the poll seems to be saying that hal would win......and as for hal vs john in mosaic alot has happened since that time and alot has been changed ....and even then that has always seemed like a way to showcase john in his own title i have never doubted for a second that hal would defeat john if they fought and i want to know what other people think would happen and how it would happen
Wait a second. Hold still....

Mosaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:40 AM   #8
A_Q Lantern
Corpse Trainee

John is Bigger & has more rage in Him. His able to learn to Control it plus his Unlimited power.Is HIS GAme!

Last edited by A_Q Lantern; 08-05-2009 at 01:47 AM.
A_Q Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:45 AM   #9
Colonel Xonic
The Butcher

Send a message via Skype™ to Colonel Xonic

I say.....

HAL!--Winner!
Colonel Xonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 02:59 AM   #10
Bob Sachs
Voice of Guy Gardner

Lightbulb

According to Secret Origin, Hal walked away grinning from a fight with John. This was before they were GL Corps. Even after everything John has held a high level of respect and admiration for Hal. Based on these reasons, I voted Hal as the victor.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:24 AM   #11
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

John should be able to take out Hal in a fistfight nowadays. There's a reason Marines are considered, in court, to be worth the might of ten men if they really severely beat up a citizen in a fight.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 03:34 AM   #12
Colonel Xonic
The Butcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
John should be able to take out Hal in a fistfight nowadays. There's a reason Marines are considered, in court, to be worth the might of ten men if they really severely beat up a citizen in a fight.
In a fistfight, but Hal could beat John in a ringsling any day. I think. I'd say Hal would get pretty fucked up, but would still win by a hair.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:38 AM   #13
TEN_RINGS
Weaponer of Qward

well apparently I am a troll!....now i just have to look and see what a troll is.........i believe that this is a valid topic of conversation that has come up in some of the other threads some argue that hal is only fearless but that john has more will since his willpower exceeded the rings limits i was curious what the other people on this board thought and how they thought it would happen i even invited you to tell us what you thought i dont care what kind of emotional reaction i got out of you or anyone i want everyones opinion since mine could be changed if you have a good argument... and i will no longer waste time in these threads reacting to attacks against me personally I am a gl fan.....i like all of the gls to varying degrees.......and this thread was to tell who you thought would win a battle between hal and john not TEN_RINGS vs Mosaic
Old 08-05-2009, 09:07 PM   #14
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Again, the motivation in the fight would come into play here. As I stated before, their willpower would be at a stalemate. What might come into play in this battle is John's admiration of Hal. I could see the two of them slinging it out and John gaining the upperhand and hesitating delivering the kill-switch which would be enough to give Hal the victory.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:36 PM   #15
Mosaic

Quote:
well apparently I am a troll!....now i just have to look and see what a troll is.........i believe that this is a valid topic of conversation that has come up in some of the other threads some argue that hal is only fearless but that john has more will since his willpower exceeded the rings limits i was curious what the other people on this board thought and how they thought it would happen i even invited you to tell us what you thought i dont care what kind of emotional reaction i got out of you or anyone i want everyones opinion since mine could be changed if you have a good argument... and i will no longer waste time in these threads reacting to attacks against me personally I am a gl fan.....i like all of the gls to varying degrees.......and this thread was to tell who you thought would win a battle between hal and john not TEN_RINGS vs Mosaic
O.K. I think I got your point. I guess I misinterpreted your last post, because it had a very offensive undertone in my opinion. I can only speak for myself. But I would never go into the Hal Jordan undersection of this forum and start a discussion about how Hal Jordan has got his ass kicked in Mosaic because I know what outcome would be. The only reason I would do that, would be to provoke the Hal Jordan fans in this forum. But you know my opinion. Generally I'm against and sick of any Earth Lantern vs. Earths Lantern discussions because it usually only leads to wildfire. One of this message boards main rules is no Hal Jordan vs. Kyle Rayner arguments. It applies for John and Guy as well, at least for me. But I guess I got your point. Don't take this personal and too serious.

Last edited by Mosaic; 08-05-2009 at 09:38 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:08 AM   #16
ion.nai
existential absurdist

Send a message via MSN to ion.nai

Hal would winner. I've always imagined him to be one hell of a scrapper.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:40 PM   #17
Willpower
The Gunslinger

John was a Marine, which is badass; but Hal is in the Air Force, which on paper isn't as physically tough, but it depends on alot of things. What is Hal's MOS? Is he a Combat Controller? They're basically the Green Berets/Navy Seals of the Air Force. What was John? A Sniper, correct? Not exactly the most physical job, but still, he's a Marine.

I'd go with experience over military background on this one.

Hal would win.

Say cheese!
Willpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:10 AM   #18
GreenLantern888
Alpha-Lantern

Send a message via AIM to GreenLantern888 Send a message via MSN to GreenLantern888 Send a message via Yahoo to GreenLantern888 Send a message via Skype™ to GreenLantern888

Hal would win no question, Ringsling or Fist fight.

Villain Draft (Best Team Winner)/Proud Supporter of the DCnU
GreenLantern888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:22 AM   #19
Parrylakks
Comte de la Fere

The answer is unquestionably Hal... anyone who seriously thinks John would win needs to pay more attention to John's character in the comics. In fact, Hal would more than likely trump all of the other Green Lanterns in a fight for varying reasons... but since we're talking about John, we'll stick with this:

John is intimidated by Hal. He looks up to him. He's his inspiration in the Corps. He follows Hal's lead every step of the way. To face Hal head on would be intimidating for him... not a piss yourself kind of intimidation, but he would go into the fight expecting to lose, and thus he would... and even if, by some insane plot device, he went in against him without his personality factoring into it, his will is not as strong as Hal's, and Hal would come out the victor, anyway...

... period, dot.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:22 PM   #20
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrylakks View Post
The answer is unquestionably Hal... anyone who seriously thinks John would win needs to pay more attention to John's character in the comics. In fact, Hal would more than likely trump all of the other Green Lanterns in a fight for varying reasons... but since we're talking about John, we'll stick with this:

John is intimidated by Hal. He looks up to him. He's his inspiration in the Corps. He follows Hal's lead every step of the way. To face Hal head on would be intimidating for him... not a piss yourself kind of intimidation, but he would go into the fight expecting to lose, and thus he would... and even if, by some insane plot device, he went in against him without his personality factoring into it, his will is not as strong as Hal's, and Hal would come out the victor, anyway...

... period, dot.
So you discount his character growth in Mosaic? When he fought Hal in Mosaic his always looking up to Hal in the past was addressed... and moved past. He won that fight pretty decisively, and while I don't think that is an indicator that he should win every fight, since Hal was on shaky ground in picking that fight to begin with, I DO think it showed that he had moved beyond any tendency to instinctively defer to Hal, much less be intimidated by him.

I don't know who would win, but I do think your reasoning is faulty unless you disregard the character development we saw in Mosaic (which, given how thoroughly DC has disregarded that series, might be a legitimate stance, but given my admiration for that series, is not one I will take until absolutely FORCED to.)

(And where do you get that his will is not as strong? You may be right, but I don't actually see any direct evidence to that effect, and since they have shown John's will exceeding the capabilities of the ring, as goofy as that may sound, that logically means that, in a ring battle, John cannot possibly be beaten solely on the basis of stronger will, even if Hal's will IS stronger, since if the rings have a limit in that regard, even if Hal can exceed that limit by MORE than John can, the output of both rings would be limited to the same level.)

Last edited by Mister Ed; 08-07-2009 at 02:26 PM.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:32 PM   #21
Parrylakks
Comte de la Fere

Mosaic can't be used as any indicator whatsoever as it was retconned from continuity... pre-Geoffconning, even... when Gerard Jones was removed from the Green Lantern title because his plan for a big multi-part story about the corps fighting amongst itself wasn't gritty enough, and Ron Maz was assigned to replace him starting off Emerald Twilight, Mosaic's ending was outright retconned, and much of Mosaic itself would become ignored as well, as time moved on.

John, in the comics since Mosaic, has made mention, himself, of him still looking up to Hal (on more than one occassion, and I do believe, in more than just the various Green Lantern titles), its part of his character, and thus my point of such is still valid. Even if it weren't, Hal's willpower is still more powerful and focused than John's as has been presented in many stories throughout the time since Mosaic (some of which have, admittedly, also been retconned... mostly be Geoff Johns).

Fact is simple... Hal trumps John... this should be a no brainer for any GL fan.
That said, the fight will never happen, so all this banter is trivial anyway.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:12 PM   #22
Mister Ed

Quote:
Mosaic can't be used as any indicator whatsoever as it was retconned from continuity... pre-Geoffconning, even... when Gerard Jones was removed from the Green Lantern title because his plan for a big multi-part story about the corps fighting amongst itself wasn't gritty enough, and Ron Maz was assigned to replace him starting off Emerald Twilight, Mosaic's ending was outright retconned, and much of Mosaic itself would become ignored as well, as time moved on. .
How was the ending outright retconned? I thought it was just never mentioned again. Mosaic was not ever officially retconned out, as far as I can tell, just ignored. But I know that it may as well have been retconned, since it will never be referred to again, so while I won't concede the point entirely, I will admit that this is more from sheer stubborness and admiration for the series than anything else.

Quote:
John, in the comics since Mosaic, has made mention, himself, of him still looking up to Hal (on more than one occassion, and I do believe, in more than just the various Green Lantern titles), its part of his character, and thus my point of such is still valid.
I'm not sure it is so cut and dried, but if we ignore Mosaic, I will admit your point becomes much stronger. I just don't WANT to ignore Mosaic, because, IMHO, that was the best characterization John ever got.

Quote:
Even if it weren't, Hal's willpower is still more powerful and focused than John's as has been presented in many stories throughout the time since Mosaic (some of which have, admittedly, also been retconned... mostly be Geoff Johns).
I'm still not sure how you get this so definitively? What stories were Hal and John's will compared in? Without a side-by-side comparison (and in the absence of a on-panel Will-O-Meter) it seems rather difficult to say that the stories show one's will as stronger than another's. And that still doesn't address the explicitly stated, on-panel mention that John's will exceeded the limits of the ring. So even if Hal's will WERE stronger, he wouldn't be able to draw more power from the ring since they would BOTH run up against the exact same limitation. So, today in GL at least, in a ring battle, beyond a certain point the stronger will is no longer a factor. Yeah it seems goofy, but it seems goofy to me to toss out Mosaic (which, if considered DEFINITELY makes this much more up-in-the-air) so...

Quote:
Fact is simple... Hal trumps John... this should be a no brainer for any GL fan.
That said, the fight will never happen, so all this banter is trivial anyway.
Never say never. It happened before, it COULD happen again. But even liking John as much as I do, and even thinking that he SHOULD be able to hold his own with Hal (if they hadn't made his character take a step backwards), even I'm not blind enough to think, under current conditions, that they would EVER have John win such a battle.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:29 AM   #23
TEN_RINGS
Weaponer of Qward

i think they let john win in mosaic just to throw him a bone ....hal has always been shown as superior to him and they try to give john something....anything to set him apart.so i could even see if they fought today the writers might let john have the win...it wouldnt hurt hal and it would make john look better but imo hal is far superior as a leader a tactician and to m anyway his will is far superior.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:51 PM   #24
Mosaic

Quote:
i think they let john win in mosaic just to throw him a bone ....hal has always been shown as superior to him and they try to give john something....anything to set him apart.so i could even see if they fought today the writers might let john have the win...it wouldnt hurt hal and it would make john look better but imo hal is far superior as a leader a tactician and to m anyway his will is far superior.
Let me tell you something, TEN. The difficulty in such discussions is always, that we talk about absolutely ficitional characters. For you Hal Jordan is the greatest Green Lantern. For me it's John Stewart. I can't convince you of the contrary, you (and the hordes of Hal Jordan fans) can't convince me of the contrary. The only facts we have, are the ones which have already been released in the comic books. I saw John Stewart kicking Hal Jordans butt in GL:Mosaic. You say that this has nothing to say. But nevertheless it's a damn fact. I saw John Stewart in Green Lantern vol. 4, when his willpower exceeded his rings limits, which say to me that he has the greatest willpower. You say that has nothing to say. But again, it's a fact. Do you want to discuss fact, fiction or the intention of the creators?

When I see that Hal Jordan kicks the ass of John Stewart in a ring slinging rematch, alright then I will discuss the facts. But a discussion about a fictional battle in the future of fictional characters, is discussing about castles in the air.

DC-Comics is the name of the deity who decides how bright the star of our favourite Heroes will shine. If they decide to cripple them, kill them, sex change them or turn them into villains, it will happen. And has happend in the past.

During my Grandfathers youth Alan Scott was THE Green Lantern. Since 1960 Hal Jordan was THE Green Lantern, with some cameo appearances of Guy Gardner and John Stewart. In the late 80's John Stewart along with Katma Tui replaced Hal Jordan and for a comparable short term he was THE Green Lantern. Then Hal came back as THE Green Lantern. Then Kyle Rayner was THE Green Lantern. To emphasize that, they killed the Corps, crippled John, turned Hal villain. Then John Stewart was THE Green Lantern in the Justice League Animated series with an audience of Millions of viewers. My little nephews an their friends all know John Stewart as THE Green Lantern, they never heard of a Hal Jordan, but I guess that will change when the Green Lantern Movie will be in the cinemas. And back in the present. Hal Jordan is back again on the winning side as THE Green Lantern since GL Rebirth. And I guess that will last for the next decades. DC has spent so many resources to re-establish and emphasize him as THE Green Lantern, it's only logical.

Let Hal Jordan be the greatest Green Lantern for all time. That's O.K. for me. I only want to see my favourite Lantern appear in the comics in a satisfactory amount. But with those few appearance of him, and I mean appearances in the foreground, you can hardly can fill one comic book with it. I automatically would take part in a discussion how good friends John Stewart and Hal Jordan are (that's a fact too), but VS. topics between Lanterns especially when Hal Jordan is involved are always annoying.

Last edited by Mosaic; 09-02-2009 at 10:09 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:54 PM   #25
Colonel Xonic
The Butcher

I wanna' see a final battle between the two... and John is possessed by the Rage entity!!! Hmmm....
Maybe we'll see it it BN, but I have a bad feeling that John will die... He just seems so... useless lately... ya' know?