The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Miscellaneous > Action Figures & Toys
FLASHCHAT

Action Figures and Toys

Old 06-04-2010, 03:46 AM   #1
Razorgod
Anti-Monitor

Send a message via Yahoo to Razorgod Send a message via Skype™ to Razorgod
Default To package or unpackage

Tonight I picked up my Earth 2 Blackest Night Kal-L...this thing is gorgeous. I'm really excited to get the Blackest Night Batman, Hawkman and Deadman- all three of which look amazing as well and are coming out this Summer.

But I'm left with a bit of a dilemma. I've got a display case on the top of my entertainment center, complete with a light and everything. Right now I have the package sitting up under the lamp and it looks really good. But I'm starting to feel like maybe I should take the figure out of the package and pose him on the base so that I can spread the cape out like the picture on the card.

I didn't really buy this figure as an investment, meaning I'll probably never sell it, but taking it out of the package goes against the collector in me.

So what would you do? I really wished I could afford to by doubles of some figures, but that's not really an option right now. So the question stands.....package or unpackage?
Razorgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 04:03 AM   #2
Razorgod
Anti-Monitor

Jason Todd you say? Pic? I'm a pretty big Jason Todd fan. I really wanna get my hands on the Jason Todd Batman.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:25 AM   #3
Hellboy
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

Send a message via MSN to Hellboy Send a message via Yahoo to Hellboy

I have a line of Japanese toys that come in clamshells not unlike the DCD figures and I had them packaged for nearly... four years or so before I started opening them. I never regretted it.

I totally relate to where you're coming from, because there's just something about having packaged figures on a wall (I think it appeals to me due to nostalgia: it's like walking into a toy store that has all of the toys you want). At the same time, the thrill of opening a toy and playing with it is unmatched.

What I'd do is leave it be for a while. Sometimes the urge to open the figure will die down and you'll still have a nice unopened figure. And it's never too late to open it then either
Old 06-04-2010, 04:46 AM   #4
Razorgod
Anti-Monitor

That's probably true. This is the first figure in at least 6 or 7 that I've got ordered from DC Direct. The ones I've got ordered are the Jason Todd Batman, the Arkham Asylum Harley Quinn, the Blackest Night Batman, Hawkman and Deadman. Arkham Asylum Joker and I'm sure there's a couple more I'm gonna order.

Right now, the package Kal-L makes the space look more full, but once I get a handful of figures, it'd probably be best to open them up and make better use of the space.

I think I'll hold off.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:22 PM   #5
DemiMatt

I buy 1 of each and open them up. They look ugly in the packaging. The best thing about the BN figures is their paint job and great ability to reflect light. my SDCC Hals look amazing out of package. Such a waste to keep in box.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:26 PM   #6
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

I can't afford to buy doubles so I unpackage most of my stuff for display. For the figures that I don't have room to display, I carefully open the packages (with a razor blade or Goo gone) so I can reinsert them after doing a photoshoot. Since I have a storage shed in my backyard, I can put them there until I have more space to display my collection.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:35 PM   #7
Razorgod
Anti-Monitor

OK, another question. After you take them out, what's your preferred dusting method? I've never had anything in a display cabinet before, so I don't know how bad a problem dust is. But I have a few busts in my bedroom and it's a constant job keeping them shiny and new looking.

Any advice to keep dust build up from running me ragged or the best way to deal with it?
Old 06-04-2010, 04:39 PM   #8
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Like death and taxes, dust is inevitable. I use Swiffers for surface dusting.

I also use those compressed air cans that are used to spray crumbs out of keyboards.

Every so often and depending on the figure, I'll dip them into a bucket of water and dry them off with a towel.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:04 PM   #9
MunkyX
Kyle's Nude Model

When I can, I buy multiples to unpackage. I'd love to take my SDCC Hal's out of the package... but since I only have the one set... I can't bring myself to. I did wind up with a second green Hal that was unceremoniously ripped from the package though

It's always a tough choice as to what gets opened and what doesn't if I can't get doubles.

MunkyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:13 PM   #10
Doc2814
Anti-Monitor

Send a message via AIM to Doc2814

I couldnt bring myself to unpackage my SDCC Yellow Hal, and the Con Exc Black Hal and White Sinestro

I'm a leaf on the wind...
Doc2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:22 PM   #11
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

I decided to take most of my collection out from their packages because of storage issues. Additionally, I don't buy stuff as investments, so I don't worry about resale value.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:42 PM   #12
Razorgod
Anti-Monitor

I'm thinking of going hunting for that Superboy Reign of the Superman figure and the Cyborg Sinestro Corp figure...is Toys R Us my best bet? Or would it do any good to toss Target in there too?

Sorry if this is too many questions, I'm pretty new to collecting action figures. I know Wal Mart never has any good ones. And Target and TRU is pretty much it for where I live.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:24 PM   #13
projectile
Sidekick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School View Post
dont have a pic, it was at the time a wizard exclusive
Is it this one?

" He who does not punish evil commands it to be done."-Leonardo da Vinci
projectile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:18 PM   #14
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

For myself, while I collect things, I never have an eye on resale value. If I'm not going to USE it (or at least THINK I will-as in the case of some of the collectible card games over the years that I didn't end up playing that much) I'm not going to buy it. So I personally would open everything. I'm sure I've "lost" a lot of theoretical money that way, but I like to think I've had more fun, and as I said, I never really plan to resell stuff.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:15 AM   #15
Doc2814
Anti-Monitor

the Jason Todd Hush figure is something I've searched for.

Old 06-05-2010, 12:43 AM   #16
Godmera
Champion of the World

Send a message via AIM to Godmera Send a message via Yahoo to Godmera

I didn't take any of them out of the package till recently, then I started taking the ones in "window box" packaging out since the package wouldn't get mess up to bad. But as Razorgod said
Quote:
I didn't really buy this figure as an investment, meaning I'll probably never sell it, but taking it out of the package goes against the collector in me.
Godmera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 01:09 AM   #17
Bjjer
Alan's Drycleaner

I open everything(including exclusives). I dont buy for investment or future resale vale. The days of MOSC toys putting your kids through college are a thing of the past, there are just so many collectors now that nothing but the super rare(not released publically) will be worth anything. Even the Rainbow Hals that were very limited can be had for about $500 or less(and $500 is NOT alot of money). Im sure you have heard this before but toys are a terrible investment. Try gold, property, etc.
Bjjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 01:35 AM   #18
Godmera
Champion of the World

Send a message via AIM to Godmera Send a message via Yahoo to Godmera
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjjer View Post
I open everything(including exclusives). I dont buy for investment or future resale vale. The days of MOSC toys putting your kids through college are a thing of the past, there are just so many collectors now that nothing but the super rare(not released publically) will be worth anything. Even the Rainbow Hals that were very limited can be had for about $500 or less(and $500 is NOT alot of money). Im sure you have heard this before but toys are a terrible investment. Try gold, property, etc.
What about gold action figures?
Godmera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 03:18 AM   #19
Razorgod
Anti-Monitor

Packaging is no longer a question for me. I had a really successful night figure hunting. I set out in search of the DCUC Reign of the Supermen Superboy and Cyborg....came up short. But I wasn't real impressed with the few DCUC figures I would of bought. The Powergirl's body just looked misshapen and something about Hal's arm that just didn't sit well with me. So after store jumping for a few hours I headed into my local comic shop to bitch about how unsuccessful my outing was.

I got to talking with rob, my comics guy, described a few figures I was looking for so he could see about ordering it. I managed to get an Atrocious and a Larfleeze ordered...but on my way out the door I noticed two figures I had never laid eyes on before.

The first was a Batman/Superman Return of Supergirl series 2 Corrupted Supergirl. Which is just a gorgeous figure. She looks like she was ripped right off a comic page. Great articulation, but not so much that it made the figure looked distorted or awkward. I'm so impressed with her that I'm going to attempt to find the Supergirl figure off that series.

The other figure was on my highly desired list, but figured I'd end up having to order him, and that was the Yellow Lantern Cyborg Superman from the Green Lantern series 3. Finding this figure was worth all the effort I put into store jumping. Also a really pretty figure. His poses are just awesome. And I think of the few figures I have, he is my absolute favorite right now.

EDIT***Looking at this picture, I do kind of wished that instead of a GL base, they'd used the Sinestro Corp symbol. Minor complaint, but it would of been cool.

At any rate, we got home and I set the figures down on the cabinet in the bag and went to get a few things out of the car and my son came along and looked at the figures, he didn't put them back in the bag and just left them on the cabinet where someone had apparently spilled some syrup and didn't clean it up. so the card was ruined, leaving me no choice but to open her up. After trying a few poses and seeing how pretty she looked, there was no way I wasn't going to open the others.

All in all a very good night.

Last edited by Razorgod; 06-05-2010 at 03:20 AM.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:14 PM   #20
Bjjer
Alan's Drycleaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godmera View Post
What about gold action figures?

I see a big red X but why not.
Bjjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 06:29 PM   #21
James Bond
Fatality's Blacksmith

The majority of my figures are MOC.
James Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:34 AM   #22
Hellboy
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

Send a message via MSN to Hellboy Send a message via Yahoo to Hellboy

That way, you can sell them for profit when they go up in value!
Old 06-06-2010, 05:12 PM   #23
James Bond
Fatality's Blacksmith

I really don't know the reason your attacking me. All I'm going to say that's it's pretty petty of you. Again the thread by this author was asking "to package" or "unpackage" and I just responded what my majority or my collection is. If you want to be an asshole about it then go right ahead. All I know I've done nothing to you to deserve ridicule from you. I'll happily put you on ignore from now on so that way it will look like your talking to yourself when you respond to anything I have to say.
James Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:48 PM   #24
Doc2814
Anti-Monitor

Its pretty evident you're Icedog returning with a new username. The majority of everyone here is aware of that fact. You have almost the same identical listing of stuff to trade and the same exact standards (that being you will only trade con exclusives for con exclusives) and you were banned for a reason. A new user name does not exonerate you from the past.

Old 06-07-2010, 02:41 PM   #25
Doc2814
Anti-Monitor

I notified the proper people but never got a response