Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > General > General/About Us
FLASHCHAT

General

Old 10-09-2010, 03:08 PM   #1
Razorgod
Anti-Monitor

Send a message via Yahoo to Razorgod Send a message via Skype™ to Razorgod
Default Dead Rising 2

I'll say it now....open world Zombie infestation, anything goes as a weapon from the lawn mower in the courtyard to the gun in the cop zombies hand to the Halloween masks in the toy store. Combine weapons, like a machete and a broom stick to make an amazing long range polearm like weapon....this game was packed with so much win.....

....The problem is that it's packaged in fail. There's nothing wrong with the concept at all. The execution sucks.

You've probably heard that the character control this game was more tight then the first game, and it really is. But two things have sunk this game for me.

First, is the lack of a solid leveling system. Different people get different skills at different levels. I met a guy in Terror is Reality last night who had a defensive roll at level 9, another who got his at level 31, I'm level 15 and still don't have it. I played co-op with a guy at level 9 and he had it. The reason I'm focusing on a defensive roll, is because a lot of the psycho battles- and the battle at chapter 4 with the katana wielding twins- require a solid defensive maneuver. A one dot speed stat is just not good enough to outrun the psychos and jumping out of the way is really undependable, since even if you manage to physically clear the psycho, hit detection is crap. (It becomes really apparent as you try to avoid the chainsaw motorcycle in the courtyard.)

The only reason I can think of for using such a shoddy system of leveling, is that Capcom is trying to force replay. (Where your stats carry over from your previous playthrough.) And that's created a pretty serious degree of resentment in me. If a game is fun I replay it until I'm tired of it, then it goes back on my shelf. But this is forcing me to replay it until I can garner enough PP (XP) to level my character to the appropriate skill level.

You're probably asking why I don't just grind the PP until I get the appropriate skill level....well it's because this game runs on a set of time limits. The little girl needs Zombrex every 24 hours. and then you have a set amount of game time between each chapter...which means you can only do as much as you have time to do.

Replay is the only way to get it done.

My second biggest downer, is built on top of the first major downer....NO AUTOSAVE. You know that function that allows you to flub a boss fight several times until you work out the key to beating them....it doesn't exist in this game. Every time you lose, you lose ANY and all progress from the last time you saved up until that moment. The worse thing about that, is that you don't always know when you're walking into a fight. Some foreknowledge is required.

After playing for a little over 9 hours, this game is more frustrating than it is fun. And that's always a deal breaker with me. So I basically just paid 65 bucks to scream at the TV screen for hours on end.

If anyone is considering buying this game, I strongly suggest you rent it first. This game is scoring high on all the game forums, so obviously people are enjoying it, but I wasted money basing my opinion on those reviews and none of them were really clear as to the degree of frustration not having access to key abilities and having to constantly go back and replay objectives if you forget or are unable to save.
His endless obsession
With superpositional pussy.
Razorgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 03:31 PM   #2
Frank Castle
Alpha-Lantern

Well I couldnt agree more with your post, I actuallly DL the game to try it out and see if it would run on my laptop before buying it.

Thank god I did that, because the game is a total waste of time, I mean it ran on my laptop but everything you said about it is spot on.

The killer for me was also the time limit, normally I would welcome such a thing, that makes a game for more real, however in this game it is a pain in the ass.

Yeah you have all these cool missions to do, but guess what theirs no way you're going to get them all done, you pick one and go for it, then of course if you run out of time (you will run out of time believe me) you have to go back and do the other missions, restarting with whatever level you had before, just to get the full story/game.

I made the mistake of saving in a stupid place that after 6 or so hours of gameplay, required me starting from the beginning again, at which point I said F this game and deleted it, damn dood I would have warned you if I knew anyone on here was playing or going to get this game, 65 bucks thats alot of money.

What I also hated was the combo card system, that shit is stupid, where the hell am I surposed to find those, I only got them when I leveled up, if I find shit that can go together, then it should work reguardless if I have a combo card.

All together they had the right ingredients for a great zombie game, just as you say, but instead you are left very frustrated.

THE MEN CALLED STING

Last edited by Frank Castle; 10-09-2010 at 03:36 PM.
Frank Castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 04:43 PM   #3
Razorgod
Anti-Monitor

Just for the record, I finally got my evasive roll at level 18...and the game became a completely different experience.,m Lack of auto save doesn't even hurt so bad, when you stand a decent chance of living through most psycho attacks....
His endless obsession
Old 10-10-2010, 05:57 PM   #4
JohnnyV
Pictionary Master

yea, I don't know why they didn't fix the save issue from the first game. Still, when I get this game around Christmas I know I'll have as much fun as I did with the first one. Problems and all.

Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter
JohnnyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:52 PM   #5
Shingo Wol

I'm still gonna get it. Im annoyed that they didn't change the save feature though.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:58 PM   #6
Razorgod
Anti-Monitor

Once you get defensive roll and some decent combo cards, the game gets much better.

I just don't think that in a game where melee is a such huge part that defensive maneuvers are optional or rewards....they should be there from the get go. Especially when they're vital to boss battles.
His endless obsession