The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Corps/Emerald Warriors/John Stewart
FLASHCHAT

Green Lantern Corps

Old 04-14-2009, 08:10 AM   #26
gamer9183
Alan's Drycleaner

Send a message via AIM to gamer9183

I agree with what everyone is saying how they all have there own areas they shine in.

- He has proved that he is all but fearless.

- He has proved that the ring does have limits.

- He has proved that he can be at great leader, best of the 4 if you ask me.

- I see kyle as more of a "jack-of-all-trades" lantern. He isn't the best of anything, but he skilled at everything. I think he has proven that he can over come his fear, which isn't the same as being fearless like Hal. While he has beaten the rings limits I think he has done so big things that had to have come close, just look at the "circle of fire" story. I also think that he can be a great leader when he needs to, but will hand the touch the better lantern to lead.

But seeing how Kyle is my favorite, I might be seeing things in him that aren't really there.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:45 PM   #27
Morph
Green Lantern

ok, just found this thread so I'm jumping into this one, because I think it's an interesting topic. But I agree with a few of you here that John has the greatest willpower out of the rest. The evidence here definitely is in John's favor, especially in the fact that no one has truly exceeded their rings ability.

As for the argument that Hal is supposed to be the strongest willed. I have to disagree with that.

One point was the fact that Hal was able to break the yellow bulldozer? That has to do with the overcoming of fear, not will because it was the shock that he overcame the yellow weakness (which we now know as fear).
Hal is strong in will, there's no argument there but his biggest strength has been his reckless\fearless outlook to his situations. That's what's always made him the strongest lantern. reckless, fearless, defiant.

John on the other hand was a marine (as one of the quotes pointed out). I think that would be a starting point for why he's the strongest willed. I'm no marine by any means, but you must have to have some pretty serious willpower to do what those guys do. And what his character has been put through in the past has always dealt with strong willpower.

So, again, I gotta go with John being the strongest willpowered. If it were to come down to Hal vs. John in a willpower battle I would have to say that Hal would lose.
Morph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:04 PM   #28
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morph View Post
One point was the fact that Hal was able to break the yellow bulldozer? That has to do with the overcoming of fear, not will because it was the shock that he overcame the yellow weakness (which we now know as fear).
What, the bit from Secret Origin? You're misinterpreting the scene. He was able to beat Yellow there because he gave into Rage at that moment... and Rage trumps Fear/Yellow.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:41 PM   #29
masterhyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limelantern View Post
What is so wrong with John having a little more willpower? Why is it Hal must be the best of the best of the best all the time? He is already the star of the book
Agreed with that. This only makes John a more interesting character, his guilty is what motivates him to do above the expectations. This is what we expected from a ex Seals soldier.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:45 PM   #30
Spectremjm
Corps Honor Guard

Send a message via Yahoo to Spectremjm

I agree, it was more rage than will in that scene for Hal.

I'm dead, yet I live. I have no identity. Yet I know
who I am. And once again I've been given power enough
to change the world. This time, Lord...
Let me be worthy."
Spectremjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:07 PM   #31
Morph
Green Lantern

Yeah I guess I didn't get that. I figured he overcame fear (yellow) and then was able to cut through the machine.

But if it was through rage that he did that.... how did he do it with a green ring? Interesting thought. But off topic for this thread.
Morph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:01 PM   #32
Mosaic
Star Sapphire's Love Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joefavre View Post
(I mean he destroyed Xanshi in the first place).
Beeep!!! You're wrong. Xanshi wasn't destroyed by John Stewart. It was destroyed by a blink bomb, and John wasn't able to prevent it because the bomb was painted yellow.
Mosaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:08 PM   #33
Orion Pax
Iolande's Bodyguard

Makes me wonder why Fataliti did not killed that member of the Sinestro Corps who loved those kind of bombs.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:19 PM   #34
Mosaic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Pax View Post
Makes me wonder why Fataliti did not killed that member of the Sinestro Corps who loved those kind of bombs.
It was no member of the Sinestro Corps. It happend in the four part DC Novel "Cosmic Oddyssey" of the year 1988

See wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmic_Odyssey_(comics))

But nevertheless you're absolutely right with this question. Fatality should have projected her anger to anyone else than to the Green Lantern Corps. Which was by the way not existant at this DC time period because the Main Battery on Oa was destroyed.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:40 PM   #35
Joefavre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaic View Post
Beeep!!! You're wrong. Xanshi wasn't destroyed by John Stewart. It was destroyed by a blink bomb, and John wasn't able to prevent it because the bomb was painted yellow.
Oooops....you are absolutely right. Got confused at a minute with the show

I'd like to weigh in on the "Hal was full of rage thing" as well. I've always viewed that more as extremely willful than rage filled. Just my interpretation.
Old 04-25-2009, 01:15 AM   #36
A_Q Lantern
Corpse Trainee

Hi Im New Here. Being A BIG JOhn FAn. Well i dun knw any1 of U guys notice the Black Symbol on his GL chest in e latest Corps teaser... Iz it goin 2 b A Hind tat of FAv hero "off the Book'. I Sure HOpe Im Dead Wrong... Reali wan Johns 2 Explore More Bout Steward's tot N Unique Powers Of John Stewart~!!! Give HIm A 1-shot Origin! His DAmn GooD~!
A_Q Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:51 PM   #37
TEN_RINGS
Weaponer of Qward

i think guy and hal both have more will than john.....hal went through the corps when posessed by parallax ....he was able to bring down the corps......but maybe you could chalk that up to parallax.......so we go to the facts hal and guy were both chosen by the ring before john you cant argue with the ring ....i still like john though

Last edited by TEN_RINGS; 06-26-2009 at 09:54 PM.
TEN_RINGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:45 PM   #38
lokeinlyesmith

I didn't see that scene as them telling us that John has greater willpower than Hal. Just because he was willing the ring to do something outside of it's power doesn't mean that Guy, Hal, or Kyle couldn't do the same. That was a very minor detail to the rest of the story. You'd think if they were going to point out something that big about a character that they'd play it up a little more. Make a bigger deal out of it.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:08 PM   #39
Limelantern
Better than both the Salami and the Bologna combined

Send a message via Skype™ to Limelantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeinlyesmith View Post
I didn't see that scene as them telling us that John has greater willpower than Hal. Just because he was willing the ring to do something outside of it's power doesn't mean that Guy, Hal, or Kyle couldn't do the same. That was a very minor detail to the rest of the story. You'd think if they were going to point out something that big about a character that they'd play it up a little more. Make a bigger deal out of it.
Except Hal, Guy, and Kyle have never done that before.

And I think that scene is important because there is nothing Johns love more than to leave these tiny little nuggets of info that will foreshadow an upcoming story one or two years down the road.

Like Ganthet and his talk of hope overcoming fear a year before any mention of a blue corps, or Black Hand talking about death being the absence of light, Hammond and his orange aura, Sinestro telling Hal rage overcomes will, etc...

The title has been full of this kind of stuff since Geoff took over the title.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:38 PM   #40
lokeinlyesmith

Quote:
Except Hal, Guy, and Kyle have never done that before.
I dunno, man, just because they haven't tried it yet doesn't mean it wouldn't have the same effect if they did try it. I just don't see the reasoning behind giving John that. In fact, if you think about it, he's not GAINING anything. They're putting a limit on him. No one else's ring says "Sorry, you can't do that." These rings are limited only by the willpower and imagination of the wearer. So if John's willpower is enough, his imagination must not have been. Or he has an inferior ring.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:39 PM   #41
Limelantern
Better than both the Salami and the Bologna combined

Send a message via Skype™ to Limelantern

Or his will was greater than the limits of the ring just like it said.

Johns loves putting these little pieces of info for future stories here and there all the time. Or else they never would have wasted the space putting the scene there in the first place.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:56 PM   #42
Mosaic

Quote:
Or his will was greater than the limits of the ring just like it said.
Absolutely!

Quote:
Johns loves putting these little pieces of info for future stories here and there all the time. Or else they never would have wasted the space putting the scene there in the first place.
Really? Is that Johns style?
Old 01-25-2010, 07:39 AM   #43
TEN_RINGS
Weaponer of Qward

When coast city was destroyed HAL tried to resurrect it, he couldnt do it though since he lacked the power he did not lack the will to do it, just the power. so after that hal had to seek more power.
TEN_RINGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:25 AM   #44
Tons T
Alpha-Lantern

Quote:
Hal has so far never exceeded the willpower of the ring, John has. Therefore greater will.

Imo, John did this feat because he was a bit emo. joke

and did John ressurect anything ? no he didnt, he only reconstructed.

Hal also did reconstruct (was emo back then coz of the destruction of Coast city), but (parallax era - 90s) the power ring's juice is not enough for what hal is doing

well anyway a lot has changed with the power ring's capability and the power it siphons from the cpb

and this feat of John doesnt really say that his willpower is greater than Hal's.

Hal hasnt tried this, so theres no proof. maybe when Hal is sad or angry ehhe

btw, John didnt use this "exceeding willpower" during SCW. remember that.

also , this feat of John - - its just like a person, letting out his frustrations , shouting at the top of his lungs

it just tells us that he has enormous willpower and it tells that he is really a worthy GL. or nothing at all hehe
Old 05-21-2010, 11:21 PM   #45
avakage
Kilowog's Recruit

Quote:
.....would that make him the most powerful lantern out there? He has a willpower that exceeds Hal and Hal can do crazy stuff like make constructs with a Red ring.

Hypothetically speaking, say he hooks up with a BL Merayn somehow (I don't know how) would the pair be capable of Kyle/Ion type feats around the universe? Could they be the ones to actually stop Superboy Prime if needed?

And while I'm on the subject I think John could seriously use a Hope inspiring love interest. Since the guy is still feeling guilty about Xanshii and probably feels rather hopeless himself.
Dude I totally agree with you, i mean it is my opinion and i do believe that if he teamed up with a powerful BL they would be an almost unstoppable duo
Old 05-22-2010, 12:52 AM   #46
kingoftheC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamer9183 View Post
I agree with what everyone is saying how they all have there own areas they shine in.

- He has proved that he is all but fearless.

- He has proved that the ring does have limits.

- He has proved that he can be at great leader, best of the 4 if you ask me.

- I see kyle as more of a "jack-of-all-trades" lantern. He isn't the best of anything, but he skilled at everything.
I agree completely with this. But what about Alan?
Old 06-03-2010, 01:27 PM   #47
Mosaic

Quote:
Originally Posted by avakage View Post
Dude I totally agree with you, i mean it is my opinion and i do believe that if he teamed up with a powerful BL they would be an almost unstoppable duo
I second that.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:44 AM   #48
Emerald Warrior JStewart
Major Force's Dinner Date

Quote:
I still don't understand why Hal MUST be the best no question, the best ever! Is that because he is your personal favorite? And somehow the possibility of a greater lantern insults you? Greater feats by other lanterns have happened in the series before but somehow Hal still dwarfs each and every one of them for some unexplained reason.

John's willpower being greater is no contradiction because Hal has never exceeded the willpower of a ring before in all of his history. This however does not make Hal any less of a hero simply because someone out there might actually have a stronger will.
Plus not to mention that Hal quit being a GL. John never quit. So that leads me to believe that John's will is better than Hal's
Old 01-02-2011, 08:02 PM   #49
BigBlueLantern
Fatality's Blacksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Warrior JStewart View Post
Plus not to mention that Hal quit being a GL. John never quit. So that leads me to believe that John's will is better than Hal's
Just because someone quits, doesnt not mean that they are less qualified than anyone else. I love Hal and John and think they are both great GLs and im not saying one is better than the other but just because Hal may have quit for a time that doesnt mean John is a better GL, ytou just have to look at WHY he quit

Last edited by BigBlueLantern; 01-02-2011 at 08:04 PM.
BigBlueLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:12 AM   #50
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

Quiting has nothing to do with will. What ridicilous thing gave you that idea?
Mister.Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote